Matt's Match-ups 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2019

Post by Archer »

My bigger issue is actually with putting Alvaro level with Papa, he's lucky he gets to share the field with him.
I know the stats might look similar (I've only glanced) and Papa seems to be "flying under the Raider" (I'll gift you that one for free if you want to use it next week) because he hasn't produced the big TB/LB/Try play's we know he can, but I think he's been doing a 1st class job all the same.
I feel like it might be one of those cases where the stats are misleading, there is a big difference between 10m made on the back of a quick ptb as the team marches down field vs 10m when the team has been penned down in their own half struggling to make any ground at all. Same goes for his play the balls where he's drawn in 3 or 4 defenders to stop his offload, stays on his feet and gets a quick PTB away leading to something off the back of it. Added to which, I think its the nature of our team (having backs that love to get involved in early hitups and are so good at it) that the forward meters might look a bit lower than others.

I'd love to see him get a few more minutes (but when the whole pack is doing as well as they are, I can see why he isn't) and have CNK sniffing around him encouraging that offload, but other than that I think he's been quality. Which is i guess what I'm saying, perhaps the quantity might be similar but the quality is that much higher. A good example if we do want to go by the stats is the missed tackles, Alvaro might be averaging ~5 more tackles a game, but so far he's listed as 13 missed tackles to Papa's 3 (Fox sports lab suggests he's responsible for conceding 4 LB's and 4 Tries, vs Papa's 0). Similarly he has 4 errors to Papa's 1.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Who'd win the skin between Papalii and Paulo?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Who'd win the skin between Papalii and Paulo?
Interesting. I certainly wouldn't swap Papalii for Paulo, but I'm not sold on him as a prop.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote: April 10, 2019, 11:21 am
zim wrote: April 9, 2019, 10:04 pm Nice work Matt.
Although you decided to flout your own rules and still give taps a draw? Mate.
I did mention the injury rule, and I explained why Ive ignored it. Usually Id be canned for not being flexible with my rules, and I was on this one.

Then I get canned for picking Nuke over Whitey, despite most agreeing he had a slow start to the yr, but really killed it on the wkend. You know, a 1 wk form line.

Dammed if I do, damned if I dont.
We still love you Matty, we just think you're certifiably insane!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: April 10, 2019, 12:07 pm Who'd win the skin between Papalii and Paulo?
I'd assume it'd be a draw. Similar stats.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I did mention the injury rule, and I explained why Ive ignored it. Usually Id be canned for not being flexible with my rules, and I was on this one.

Then I get canned for picking Nuke over Whitey, despite most agreeing he had a slow start to the yr, but really killed it on the wkend. You know, a 1 wk form line.

You got caned because you gave the skin to a guy with 4 sound NRL appearances to his name ahead of an established test player who has performed at a consistently high level throughout his NRL career and is coming off a MotM performance. So is it 1 week form, 2 weeks, 2 months? It's a bit hard to follow.

I'll say again, if the system keeps throwing up anomalies like this then the system needs to be reviewed.

P.S. keep the Matchups coming Matt. It's one the best ways to fill the midweek on the GH. :thumbsup
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: April 10, 2019, 1:17 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 10, 2019, 12:07 pm Who'd win the skin between Papalii and Paulo?
I'd assume it'd be a draw. Similar stats.
Yeah pretty close. Both have been good this year. Paulo looking like he did when he first arrived here. Typical change of club sugar hit for a big forward.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

You're doing a good job dude. Stay strong ✊
Long time creeper....... First time poster
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Archer wrote: April 10, 2019, 11:55 am My bigger issue is actually with putting Alvaro level with Papa, he's lucky he gets to share the field with him.
I know the stats might look similar (I've only glanced) and Papa seems to be "flying under the Raider" (I'll gift you that one for free if you want to use it next week) because he hasn't produced the big TB/LB/Try play's we know he can, but I think he's been doing a 1st class job all the same.
I feel like it might be one of those cases where the stats are misleading, there is a big difference between 10m made on the back of a quick ptb as the team marches down field vs 10m when the team has been penned down in their own half struggling to make any ground at all. Same goes for his play the balls where he's drawn in 3 or 4 defenders to stop his offload, stays on his feet and gets a quick PTB away leading to something off the back of it. Added to which, I think its the nature of our team (having backs that love to get involved in early hitups and are so good at it) that the forward meters might look a bit lower than others.

I'd love to see him get a few more minutes (but when the whole pack is doing as well as they are, I can see why he isn't) and have CNK sniffing around him encouraging that offload, but other than that I think he's been quality. Which is i guess what I'm saying, perhaps the quantity might be similar but the quality is that much higher. A good example if we do want to go by the stats is the missed tackles, Alvaro might be averaging ~5 more tackles a game, but so far he's listed as 13 missed tackles to Papa's 3 (Fox sports lab suggests he's responsible for conceding 4 LB's and 4 Tries, vs Papa's 0). Similarly he has 4 errors to Papa's 1.
This is post of the week, Archer. Summed up how Papa is doing far more than his stats suggest.

I did think that overall this was one of Matt’s better match-ups though.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: April 10, 2019, 12:48 pm

We still love you Matty, we just think you're certifiably insane!
I can live with that :lol:
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Northern Raider wrote:

You got caned because you gave the skin to a guy with 4 sound NRL appearances to his name ahead of an established test player who has performed at a consistently high level throughout his NRL career and is coming off a MotM performance. So is it 1 week form, 2 weeks, 2 months? It's a bit hard to follow.

I'll say again, if the system keeps throwing up anomalies like this then the system needs to be reviewed.

P.S. keep the Matchups coming Matt. It's one the best ways to fill the midweek on the GH. :thumbsup
It's almost as good as Team List Tuesday, whenever that is.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

reptar wrote: April 11, 2019, 7:45 am
Northern Raider wrote:

I tried to find out which day it is on the NRL website. They don't even say it there. Hopeless.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Archer wrote: April 10, 2019, 11:55 am My bigger issue is actually with putting Alvaro level with Papa, he's lucky he gets to share the field with him.

Nice post mate.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ruben Daley wrote: April 10, 2019, 9:55 pm

This is post of the week, Archer. Summed up how Papa is doing far more than his stats suggest.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't or damned with faint praise. Ouch :roflmao
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:

I think it's tomorrow!
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: April 11, 2019, 9:25 am
Ruben Daley wrote: April 10, 2019, 9:55 pm

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't or damned with faint praise. Ouch :roflmao
Hahaha. Yeah, that was fairly faint, wasn’t it? And I’m one of the few people who supports Matt and his crazy system.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Elliott Whitehead has been complete **** until last week's game.

Doesn't mean he isn't the better talent, he's just been playing like ****.

Fair call Matt. I hope for our sake Smelly turns the tables in this matchup.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Rickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

I think it's tomorrow!
Is that tomorrow as in today which was tomorrow when you said, or tomorrow which is tomorrow from today when I read it?
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

I tried to find out which day it is on the NRL website. They don't even say it there. Hopeless.
Hopeless!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 12, 2019, 12:56 am Elliott Whitehead has been complete **** until last week's game.

"Complete ****" is an absolute over-exaggeration of the highest order. He's been solid, but not brilliant. There's so many little things he still does in the first three rounds people fail to give him credit for.

He's a big part of all three wins.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: April 12, 2019, 9:30 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 12, 2019, 12:56 am Elliott Whitehead has been complete **** until last week's game.

"Complete ****" is an absolute over-exaggeration of the highest order. He's been solid, but not brilliant. There's so many little things he still does in the first three rounds people fail to give him credit for.

Nah, for a guy of his standard he was complete trash for the first few rounds. Dropped balls, low involvement and being caught out of position in defence a few times. Clearly one of our worst on the field in the first two rounds for sure.

Thankfully he hit some good form last weekend. Hopefully it continues, because at his best he's a real weapon for us and solid in defence on that edge.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Can't agree that Alvaro has been better than Papa though. I've been critical of Papalii due to the high expectations I have of him, but he has been really good for us moving into the middle. I just really want him to get more involved, and hopefully bust out an offload or two, because that second phase play is dead set a massive advantage for us if we can get that going.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Big game for Tapine too. Man, if he hits some form off the bench we could get a real advantage over Parramatta there. That agility and footwork in the middle could really pay dividends.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Alright Seiff, settle down. That's three posts in a row now, you're getting too excited.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 12, 2019, 11:13 am
The Rickman wrote: April 12, 2019, 9:30 am

Nah, for a guy of his standard he was complete trash for the first few rounds. Dropped balls, low involvement and being caught out of position in defence a few times. Clearly one of our worst on the field in the first two rounds for sure.

Thankfully he hit some good form last weekend. Hopefully it continues, because at his best he's a real weapon for us and solid in defence on that edge.
I agree. He was fantastic last week, but there's no way you could describe his round 1 performance as "solid" or that he contributed to that win. He dropped the ball 4 times! His worst game ever in green. Yes it was wet, but no-one else dropped the ball that many times, some didn't drop it at all.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

reptar wrote: April 12, 2019, 5:26 am
The Rickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

I think it's tomorrow!
Is that tomorrow as in today which was tomorrow when you said, or tomorrow which is tomorrow from today when I read it?
reptar, never change :thumbsup
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The Rickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

I think it's tomorrow!
Tomorrow tomorrow.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Rickman wrote:
The Rickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: You got caned because you gave the skin to a guy with 4 sound NRL appearances to his name ahead of an established test player who has performed at a consistently high level throughout his NRL career and is coming off a MotM performance. So is it 1 week form, 2 weeks, 2 months? It's a bit hard to follow.

I think it's tomorrow!
Tomorrow tomorrow.
Now that's just being silly.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Only have to look at the discussion you generate in here to see you're doing a good job matty. Gotta put your neck out to start it all, even if it means becoming ned stark.
Look forward to reading them each week along with the debate that follows.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

"Becoming Ned Stark".
That is probably the very best line I have read on any blog this year.
gilby_gillard
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker, 2019 team

Post by gilby_gillard »

Clinton Gutherson 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Maika Sivo 2. Nick Cotric
Michael Jennings 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Brad Takairangi 4. Joseph Leilua
Blake Ferguson 5. Jordan Rapana
Jaeman Salmon 6. Jack Wighton
Mitchell Moses 7. Sam Williams
Daniel Alvaro 8. Josh Papalii
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Junior Paulo 10. Dunamis Lui
Shaun Lane 11. John Bateman
Marata Niukore 12. Elliott Whitehead
Tepai Moeroa 13. Ryan Sutton

Interchange
Peni Terepo 14. Siliva Havili
Tim Mannah 15. Hudson Young
Kane Evans 16. Sia Soliola
Oregon Kaufusi 17. Joseph Tapine

I’m thinking Papa and Smelly May have read this and proven you wrong Matt? :D
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gilby_gillard wrote: April 14, 2019, 9:09 pm Clinton Gutherson 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Maika Sivo 2. Nick Cotric
Michael Jennings 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Brad Takairangi 4. Joseph Leilua
Blake Ferguson 5. Jordan Rapana
Jaeman Salmon 6. Jack Wighton
Mitchell Moses 7. Sam Williams
Daniel Alvaro 8. Josh Papalii
Reed Mahoney 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Junior Paulo 10. Dunamis Lui
Shaun Lane 11. John Bateman
Marata Niukore 12. Elliott Whitehead
Tepai Moeroa 13. Ryan Sutton

Interchange
Peni Terepo 14. Siliva Havili
Tim Mannah 15. Hudson Young
Kane Evans 16. Sia Soliola
Oregon Kaufusi 17. Joseph Tapine

I’m thinking Papa and Smelly May have read this and proven you wrong Matt? :D
I better pick all the Bronx players this wk then :D
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Not many Broncos players in form so expecting it heavily weighted towards the Raiders. CNK is a cert over Darius.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 15, 2019, 12:47 pm Not many Broncos players in form so expecting it heavily weighted towards the Raiders. CNK is a cert over Darius.
That's not how it works, m8
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: April 15, 2019, 12:53 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 15, 2019, 12:47 pm Not many Broncos players in form so expecting it heavily weighted towards the Raiders. CNK is a cert over Darius.
That's not how it works, m8
Ill pick Darius just for you mate. :lol: