Through green eyes 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: Through green eyes 2019

Post by T_R »

I'm completely undecided as to whether Keghead is a genuine account from an angry and socially dysfunctional old man, or an overplayed parody account from one of our beloved forum trolls.

Either way, he's one of my favourite posters.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hey look everybody keghead's talking. We should listen to him.

Said nobody ever.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: April 10, 2019, 12:35 pm I'm completely undecided as to whether Keghead is a genuine account from an angry and socially dysfunctional old man, or an overplayed parody account from one of our beloved forum trolls.

Why can't it be both??
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote: April 10, 2019, 12:50 pm
T_R wrote: April 10, 2019, 12:35 pm I'm completely undecided as to whether Keghead is a genuine account from an angry and socially dysfunctional old man, or an overplayed parody account from one of our beloved forum trolls.

Why can't it be both??
So you're saying it's Bay56 back again?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I thought I had a lock on the "angry and socially dysfunctional old man"gig.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote: April 10, 2019, 12:56 pm
The Rickman wrote: April 10, 2019, 12:50 pm

Why can't it be both??
So you're saying it's Bay56 back again?
Hahahaha that's EXACTLY what I was saying
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Cranky Old Man wrote: April 10, 2019, 1:03 pm I thought I had a lock on the "angry and socially dysfunctional old man"gig.
I see you more as the cranky grandfather figure with a secret heart of gold. Think Eastwood in the second half of the Grand Torino movie, but with less being shot.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Cranky's my favourite poster behind Fergus, there's no WAY I'd class him as socially dysfunctional!

Not to the levels of keghead, anyway.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

T_R wrote: April 10, 2019, 1:07 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote: April 10, 2019, 1:03 pm I thought I had a lock on the "angry and socially dysfunctional old man"gig.
I see you more as the cranky grandfather figure with a secret heart of gold. Think Eastwood in the second half of the Grand Torino movie, but with less being shot.
The "get off my lawn" line is one I regularly use.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Cranky Old Man wrote: April 10, 2019, 1:12 pm
That's all well and good, but how much do you yell at clouds?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

:D

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The Rickman wrote: April 10, 2019, 1:12 pm
That's all well and good, but how much do you yell at clouds?
That is my main conversation each day. I'm at my most eloquent then.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

T_R wrote:I'm completely undecided as to whether Keghead is a genuine account from an angry and socially dysfunctional old man, or an overplayed parody account from one of our beloved forum trolls.

Is he organizing a bus?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

reptar wrote:
T_R wrote:I'm completely undecided as to whether Keghead is a genuine account from an angry and socially dysfunctional old man, or an overplayed parody account from one of our beloved forum trolls.

Is he organizing a bus?
No, but apparently he was seen taking his photo album over to Campo's house. Not sure what this means.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It's gonna be bigger than Sezer vs Sammy
greeneyed
Don Furner

Through green eyes: Golden point still golden

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: Golden point still golden

Round 4 2019. It was an unusual round, in that we saw three golden point matches on three consecutive days. Since the introduction of the golden point rule in 2003, we've seen three games decided in extra time in the same round only once before - in August 2007 - but not on consecutive days.

There have been two golden point matches in the same round on 10 occasions. There were two on the same day in July 2004, including the Canberra Raiders' famous 30-29 victory over the New Zealand Warriors, with Clinton Schifcofske kicking two field goals for the win. There were two on consecutive days in May 2006, including the Raiders win over the North Queensland Cowboys in Townsville. That night, Todd Carney kicked the wonkiest ever field goal to secure the competition points. There were also two on consecutive days in the final round of 2015. Back then, Josh Hodgson scored a golden try against the Eels at Parramatta Stadium to deliver a 28-24 win. Let's hope it's not that close when Canberra wins on Sunday night!

The unusual rash of golden point matches has put the debate about the extra time rule back on the agenda.

Some people want to abandon golden point entirely. "What's wrong with a draw?" they say. "It is unfair on the losing team to walk away with nothing," they say. Personally, I love golden point. It has given us some of the Raiders' most memorable victories. It is nerve racking, it's a roller coaster, and it's certainly a great feeling when your team wins. It hurts when you lose... but it adds hugely to the excitement of a game. In the old days of a draw... well that just left both sets of fans flat.

There are many proponents of changing the rule to a "golden try" - avoiding the possibility that games are decided by penalty goals, and the flurry of field goals. I wouldn't like to see that myself. I don't see why you should change the rules that the game was played under - ruling out two forms of scoring - just because you move into the 81st minute.

Some have suggested that we should not only give the winner of golden point matches two competition points, but we should give the loser one competition point. For mine, you cannot have one game worth more competition points in aggregate than others, simply because they finished level at the end of 80 minutes. That's unfair on teams that win in regular time.

And that's why the NRL's latest proposal is a good one. The idea is to make each game worth four competition points, and to split the competition points in golden point games - three for the winner and one for the loser. It rewards the winner of a game in regular time properly. It ensures that teams that force games into extra and lose walk away with something. It gives the right incentive to win outright in regular time.

The proposal is being referred to the NRL's competition committee for discussion at the end of the season. It's a no-brainer. Let's get it done.

I keep saying it. "This weekend's game will be good test to see how far the Raiders have progressed since last season." But it is certainly still true in Round 5, when the Raiders meet the Eels at Canberra Stadium.

Canberra and Parramatta have surprised many in the rugby league world with their starts to the 2019 season. This time last year, the Raiders were running 15th, the Eels 16th. Both missed the finals last year and the Eels finished with the wooden spoon. Now, one month into the competition, they both are riding high with a 3 and 1 record.

There are great prospective battles across the park, but I'm most looking forward to former Raiders Junior Paulo and Blake Ferguson up against current Raiders Josh Papalii and Nick Cotric. Hopefully, Papalii and Cotric demonstrate their State of Origin credentials - as well as help the Green Machine to a win. The Eels faithful are very confident about this game, but I'm tipping the Raiders by six at home.

It's a triple header at Canberra Stadium on Sunday, so make sure you get to the ground early. The Raiders Jersey Flegg team faces the Eels at 1:50 pm, before Mounties take on the Wentworthville Magpies in NSW Cup at 3:55 pm. Mounties are on top of the ladder and playing some exciting rugby league, so it should be a good clash with the fifth placed Magpies.

If you're at Sydney on Saturday, why not get along to Week 1 of the finals for the Canberra Raiders junior representative teams at Blacktown? The Raiders SG Ball team finished sixth, and will meet the Balmain Tigers at HE Laybutt Sports Complex at 5:45pm, while the Tarsha Gale Cup team plays the Parramatta Eels beforehand, at 4:30pm.

Round 2 of the Canberra Raiders Cup is headlined by the Queanbeyan derby, with the Blues facing the Kangaroos on Saturday at Seiffert Oval. If you can't get to the game, you can watch the live stream:

Every week I rate the Raiders players on a scale of 0-10... and here are the total points and average points per match after the win over the Cowboys. Let us know if you agree with the ratings... or not!

Total points

John Bateman 31
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 29
Josh Hodgson 29
Josh Papalii 29
Sia Soliola 28
Jarrod Croker 27
Joey Leilua 27
Jack Wighton 26
Elliott Whitehead 25
Nick Cotric 25
Ryan Sutton 25
Corey Horsburgh 23
Siliva Havili 23
Dunamis Lui 21
Jordan Rapana 20
Aidan Sezer 12
Sam Williams 12
Joe Tapine 9
Hudson Young 7
Bailey Simonsson 6

Average points per match

John Bateman 7.8
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 7.3
Josh Hodgson 7.3
Josh Papalii 7.3
Sia Soliola 7.0
Jarrod Croker 6.8
Joey Leilua 6.8
Jordan Rapana 6.7
Jack Wighton 6.5
Elliott Whitehead 6.3
Nick Cotric 6.3
Ryan Sutton 6.3
Aidan Sezer 6.0
Bailey Simonsson 6.0
Sam Williams 6.0
Corey Horsburgh 5.8
Siliva Havili 5.8
Dunamis Lui 5.3
Joe Tapine 4.5
Hudson Young 3.5

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Why can't some games be worth 3 points?

The winners get the same maximum amount - 2 points.

If you lose at the end of 80 minutes - 0 points.

Why is the 3 point thing so important to you?

If a team finished on 15 wins (30), 6 losses (0) and 3 OTLs (3 points), for a final result of 33 points, aren't they entitled to feel they've had a more successful season than a team that finishes on 15 wins (30), 9 losses (0) and 0 OTLs (0 points) foe a final result of 30 points?

The first team has tied 3 games after 80 and the second team hasn't.

In pre-GP days, the results would have been the same.

The 4 point thing to me seems less logical.

If you win the game you should get the maximum points available for a win. 1 point for an OTL vs 3 or 4 points for a win also is not quite the compensation fans will walk away happy with.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

With the NHL system in place...

Last year the Sharks would have finished 1st after the regular season, and the Titans would have moved from 14th to 12th.

There were only 4 GP games.

With the proposed 4 point system in place...

Last year the Sharks would have finished 1st after the regular season, Dragons finish 5th instead of 7th, Warriors finish 6th instead of 8th, Panthers finish 7th instead of 5th, Broncos finish 8th instead of 6th, Titans move from 14th to 11th, Knights move from 11th to 12th, Bulldogs move from 12th to 13th, Cowboys move from 13th to 14th.

Less changes with the NHL system, FWIW.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

hrundi, as I mentioned in another thread. Having some games worth more opens the system to manipulation.

Two evenly matched teams have an expected return of 2 points out of two games. Agree to collude and you can both have a certain 3.

Under the revised points system you still get the discrimination you require in your example.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yup, you absolutely can't give out additional points for golden point games. The only sensible options are:

- the system stays the same
- go back to draws, scrap golden point
- 4 points a win, 3 a GP win, 1 a GP loss
- 3 points a win, 2 a GP win, 1 a GP loss

My preference would be one of the two first choices, probably leaning towards scrapping golden point altogether. The only time we should have sudden death rugby league is in a finals match after we've already exhausted 20 minutes of extra time.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I agree with you Rickman about getting rid of Golden point. If at the end of 80 minutes the scores are locked then 1 point each. It worked well for a century or so.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

So did horse drawn carts.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Come on gangy, it's really not fair to pick on Red just because he used to go to school on a horse!
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins

Post by Cranky Old Man »

RedRaider wrote: April 12, 2019, 10:13 am I agree with you Rickman about getting rid of Golden point. If at the end of 80 minutes the scores are locked then 1 point each. It worked well for a century or so.
I'm with Red, horses and all.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: April 10, 2019, 1:09 pm Cranky's my favourite poster behind Fergus, there's no WAY I'd class him as socially dysfunctional!

Not to the levels of keghead, anyway.
:lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Rickman wrote: April 12, 2019, 9:33 am Yup, you absolutely can't give out additional points for golden point games. The only sensible options are:

- the system stays the same
- go back to draws, scrap golden point
- 4 points a win, 3 a GP win, 1 a GP loss
- 3 points a win, 2 a GP win, 1 a GP loss

My preference would be one of the two first choices, probably leaning towards scrapping golden point altogether. The only time we should have sudden death rugby league is in a finals match after we've already exhausted 20 minutes of extra time.
Yeah I'd be happy with 4 points for a win, 3 for GP win, 1 for GP loss and 2 each for GP draw.

Every game should be worth the same number of premiership points, and a draw is still possible.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Another way to approach it would be similar to rugby where there are bonus points available to both teams. From memory if you score 4 tries or more it’s a bonus point and if you lose by less than a converted try it’s a bonus point.

They also have 4 points for a win, or did the last time I paid any attention.

A system like this works because the same points are available in every game and a close loss is rewarded whether in regular time or in golden point.

It can also lead to more attacking football as teams chase tries whether they are ahead or behind to try to get the bonus points available.

It will also spice up the end of the season where ladder position will rely on bonus points.

Maximum points for a win 5, maximum points for a loss, 2. Consistency between every game, no team or game advantaged or disadvantaged.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

pickles wrote:Another way to approach it would be similar to rugby where there are bonus points available to both teams. From memory if you score 4 tries or more it’s a bonus point and if you lose by less than a converted try it’s a bonus point.

They also have 4 points for a win, or did the last time I paid any attention.

A system like this works because the same points are available in every game and a close loss is rewarded whether in regular time or in golden point.

It can also lead to more attacking football as teams chase tries whether they are ahead or behind to try to get the bonus points available.

It will also spice up the end of the season where ladder position will rely on bonus points.

Maximum points for a win 5, maximum points for a loss, 2. Consistency between every game, no team or game advantaged or disadvantaged.
The only problem with that system is the possibility of making the finals despite losing more games than another side.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

That could equally happen with the 3 points for a golden point win and one for GP loss. It might be a bit less likely but still possible.

I don’t really see that as a major issue anyway.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Through green eyes 2019

Post by greeneyed »

Through green eyes: As I saw it

"I'll take that every week, that one. I don't see too many perfect performances, but it was something we can keep building on - I'll take that effort every week. They really tried hard and they played 80 minutes. It makes me a proud coach when I see that, because you know they care about it. When you're coaching players who care about what they do and how they're doing it, their preparation and their footy, it makes you proud of them. We've [now] got to be consistent. Good footy teams in this competiton are consistent."

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart.

Round 5 2019. Canberra Raiders 19 - Parramatta Eels 0. Again it wasn't perfect. It was a bit ugly. But it was certainly impressive. For the second time in the opening five weeks, the Raiders have held their opposition to a duck egg. The Raiders now have the best defensive record in the competition, conceding an average of just nine points per match. It is the best opening to a season in defence since 1990, when the Raiders conceded just 32 points in the first five matches. It is only the third time in history that the Raiders have conceded less than 10 points per game in the opening five weeks (1990, 1995 and now 2019). It's the best win rate to open the season since 2005. Today, the Raiders are third on the competition ladder. You can't ask for much more of the team and coaches.

The attack is still not firing on all cylinders. The Raiders dominated possession and territory in the first half, and Canberra struggled to get across the line. They probably should have scored more points than eight before the break. But credit needs to be given to the Eels' defence as well. And the attack will come. It was interesting to hear the Sydney Roosters after their match this week. Every player was talking about "the foundation" - and how they weren't laying that down in defence. Sure, they're winning impressively and scoring points, but Roosters coach Trent Robinson wants to get the defence right early. That's what is Ricky Stuart and the Raiders are doing right now.

There are two things that particularly impress about the Raiders of 2019. First, they may make errors, but they defend their errors passionately and effectively. The line speed is outstanding. The mobile pack gets on top of bigger oppositions. And it was the defence last night which eventually won out. The Eels eventually crumbled themselves under the pressure. Secondly, game management. The Raiders led by three converted tries. But in the closing stages, they methodically set up for a Sam Williams field goal to put the game clearly out of reach. The Raiders used to struggle in forcing a line drop out. Last night they forced four, through good kicking and great tackling.

Effort. Determination. Clinical. Methodical. Relentless. They're words you might think of when you think about the Melbourne Storm. But those words now also describe what the Canberra Raiders have been delivering so far this season. As Ricky Stuart said after the match, the challenge ahead is to be consistent in delivering those things.

Stats that mattered? The Raiders enjoyed a 57 per cent share of possession, posting a 74 per cent completion rate (Eels just 56 per cent). Canberra had 60 per cent possession and 70 per cent of the territory in the first half - and that was always going to turn in the second half. It did, but the Raiders still had more than an even share of the ball - though the Eels had almost 60 per cent of the territory. The Raiders produced a few too many errors (12), but the Eels were forced into a whopping 18 errors by the Raiders defence. Canberra ended up conceding one more penalty than the Eels (6-5).

The Raiders made more runs (185-149), more running metres (1734-1257), more post contact metres (494-375), more kick return metres (198-87) and four more metres per set. The Raiders made 52 tackle breaks (Eels 29) and three line breaks (Eels two). The Raiders kicked more than the Eels (25-11), producing 589 kicking metres (288 for the Eels). They put in nine grubbers, to the Eels' three. The Raiders' kicking might not be perfect, but unlike recent years, they are using it as a weapon, using it to control games.

The Eels made 384 tackles, the Raiders 307. In the first half, the Eels made almost double the number of tackles. Parramatta coach Brad Arthur will be particularly unimpressed with his team's missed tackle count - 52, compared with 29 for the Raiders. Both teams made around the same number of ineffective tackles (Raiders 22, Eels 18). The Raiders effective tackle rate was slightly better than the Eels (86 versus 85 per cent).

Memorable moments? The Raiders scored three tries, but the best was certainly the third, at around the 60 minute mark. Sam Williams produced the perfect bomb to the try line, with Jack Wighton brilliantly leaping for the ball to take it on the full and plant it over the line. How about that second try... Josh Hodgson kicked early, and it looked like it was about to turn to custard, before Elliott Whitehead touched the loose ball with his foot and dived on the ball. Probably close to the definition of a lucky try. But then again... everyone is lucky, and the Raiders put themselves in position to take advantage of it.

There were a number of little moments to remember... like Jarrod Croker's huge run in the first half, but which didn't result in points. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad getting out of the in goal from an impossible position. There were also some great moments in defence. The tackle of the match was produced by Sia Soliola just after half time, smashing Jaeman Salmon. Shortly after Nicoll-Klokstad produced a great try saver when Marita Nuikore made a break. Then with six minutes remaining, Nicoll-Klokstad and Jarrod Croker showed what last ditch defence is all about, combining to hold up a rampaging Michael Jennings.

Best performers?

Josh Papalii. One try, 17 runs for 154 metres, 59 post contact metres, one line break, seven tackle breaks, one offload, 26 tackles, 96 per cent tackle efficiency.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. 18 runs for 171 metres, 57 kick return metres, 45 post contact metres, one line break assist, two tackle breaks, four offloads, six tackles, 100 per cent tackle efficiency.

Josh Hodgson. Seven runs for 44 metres, one line break assist, one try assist, 48 tackles, six kicks for 125 metres, one forced line drop out. The eight missed tackles is the only blot on the copy book.

Top tacklers: Josh Hodgson 48, Elliott Whitehead 36, Ryan Sutton 31
Most metres gained: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 171, Jordan Rapana 169, Josh Papalii 154, Jarrod Croker 153

Papalii, Sia Soliola (125), John Bateman (121) and Ryan Sutton (118) all broke the 100m mark in the forwards.

My player ratings:

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 7
Nick Cotric 6
Jarrod Croker 7
Joey Leilua 7
Jordan Rapana 6
Jack Wighton 7
Sam Williams 6
Josh Papalii 8
Josh Hodgson 7
Dunamis Lui 5
John Bateman 7
Elliott Whitehead 7
Ryan Sutton 6

Siliva Havili 6
Hudson Young 4
Sia Soliola 7
Joe Tapine 4

Do you agree or disagree with the ratings? Let us know!

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Sam Williams rating is one short again GE. The one on one tackle on Gutherson was a beauty. No mention of it when talking about highlight defensive moments?
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

I'm not convinced about the low number scores for players who play limited minutes. What else are they supposed to do?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Take one off Wighton and give it to Williams and you're there, I think.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, no way Wighton should score higher than Williams this week.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Through green eyes 2019

Post by gangrenous »

I think that:
Havili
Williams
Cotric
Sutton
BJ
CNK

Are all 1 point under