All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Travis
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Canberra Raiders say George Williams deal not done

Post by Travis »

T_R wrote: April 5, 2019, 7:35 pm
Travis wrote:A mate of mine, with plenty of Head Coach experience in the UK, thinks that George Williams is a pretty good organisational half who could partner Wighton well. Obviously no one will know until he gets a chance. Pretty much like any promising half.
I had the same conversation with a former Superleague coach last week. I wonder if we have the same friend?? :D
Possibly! Who is your mate?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Justin Morgan?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Surname starts with a V?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Victor the viking?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Travis wrote: April 6, 2019, 4:17 pm
T_R wrote: April 5, 2019, 7:35 pm
Travis wrote:A mate of mine, with plenty of Head Coach experience in the UK, thinks that George Williams is a pretty good organisational half who could partner Wighton well. Obviously no one will know until he gets a chance. Pretty much like any promising half.
I had the same conversation with a former Superleague coach last week. I wonder if we have the same friend?? :D
Possibly! Who is your mate?
Ha! What a strange situation. I was speaking to ol Vowlesy the other day too and he was saying the same about Georgie Boy
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Williams had a decent game for Wigan last night, but was outplayed by Jake Trueman, who completely ran the show.

He's as good as any young player in the world. Get it done now, Raiders, before Leeds, Wigan or another NRL team does.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

MrPosh wrote:Williams had a decent game for Wigan last night, but was outplayed by Jake Trueman, who completely ran the show.

He's as good as any young player in the world. Get it done now, Raiders, before Leeds, Wigan or another NRL team does.
It’s too late Image
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

Wighton.....too many errors and has been in our system for a long time now, time to let him go to st George for,him to become an international
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

On the Fox coverage yesterday Matty Johns was talking about the move of George Williams to the Raiders. He highlighted that Wayne Bennett rates him as a half and thinks he has what it takes to be a success in the NRL. He is coming and this time next year we should all be hoping that the articles about the Raiders English connections are growing stronger with each performance.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

If this guy is as good as the rest of the poms, we are one George Williams away from being a serious threat.

If the club can get this done somehow this year they should.

This week showed Williams is too much of a liability in defence and Sezer has nothing in attack. We need one of them to aim up this year and be better.
WorkChoice
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah LP, I was just saying the same to some friends on SM, if Georgey boy is the real deal, this team is in that any given Sunday zone for the storm and roosters

They’re going to be better across the park than us, But with a quality half, we’re good enough to keep it close enough that one big play could swing in our favour
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Yep George Williams is obviously coming and the Roosters and Storm are in a league of their own.

I’m also excited about the progression of John Bateman and Ryan Sutton. Both have come here from a weaker comp and both have hit the ground running (Bateman in particular). I expect both to continue to improve as players with the rigours of top level footy and further maturity.

This year we move on from Sezer, Wighton has the season to develop himself, Sam Williams keeps the jersey warm and just does his job admirably and we make the 8 and give the fans plenty to cheer about.

This season lays the platform for next year where we can be actual contendors.

That’s my take on it and how I see it unfolding realistically.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

On paper I don't believe the storm are on par with the roosters or bunnies for that matter. They just continually punch above their weight.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

FROG wrote: April 7, 2019, 2:05 pm On paper I don't believe the storm are on par with the roosters or bunnies for that matter. They just continually punch above their weight.
I actually was going to say the same thing. Storm are just a brilliantly coached, well executed team.

There's absolutely no reason we can't be the same, even without George Williams. Discipline and execution are everything, and last night we proved we still have a ways to go.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

FROG wrote: April 7, 2019, 2:05 pm On paper I don't believe the storm are on par with the roosters or bunnies for that matter. They just continually punch above their weight.
1-8 and 10-17 they probably aren't on the roosters level.
But the #9 is so far ahead of everyone else and so is their HC that it puts them right there with the roosters.

I might regret this at some point, but the bunnies dont scare me. I think our squad right now is as good as theirs.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I'm all for the Williams signing, but I think he might take a little time to adjust to the nrl. He won't have as much time and space as in the SL.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

magoo wrote:I'm all for the Williams signing, but I think he might take a little time to adjust to the nrl. He won't have as much time and space as in the SL.
I agree, that is why he would be good to get before June 30 if possible

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I hope George Williams proves to be a very good NRL half. I respect Sam but if we had a good 7 yesterday the game would have been over by halftime. Hopefully George proves worthy.
Travis
David Grant

Post by Travis »

T_R wrote: April 6, 2019, 4:19 pm Surname starts with a V?
No, M. Seemingly two different people. Ennis appeared to almost confirm with Johns on the post-show last night, when Johns was mentioning the rumour. Kind of back-pedaled and then the topic was changed really quickly. That was my take anyway.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Just on the topic from earlier today about Roosters and Souths having a superior squad....

What this weekend showed me is that even the strongest squads are an injury away from being chopped down a rung. Souths halves look to be playing busted and if Cool got injured it would be all she wrote. I think Easts would be screwed if Keary or Tedesco went down too.

Pretty much every other team seem to have pretty big weaknesses so if you have the chance to improve and have a crack this is the season to do it imo.

I mean the roosters should be out and out favorites but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a team jump out of the pack and compete for a title this year.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

100% agree. The roosters and Storm look a cut above to me but yeah, if Teddy or Keary go down, and Smith or Munster, both those squads are going to come right back to the pack a little bit

if the roosters keep relatively injury free, i think they'll win the comp pretty comfortably though

It would be **** great if we could get G.Williams in here before mid year some how. I doubt it VERY much but if he's as good as these other poms, that would be a MAJOR upgrade for us.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m fairly outspoken on my opinion of this Williams not looking like a halfback. But if it’s what the current set up are aiming for and they think they can make it work and happen then why not. Because realistically there aren’t many genuine 7s about and none they we’d have a chance at getting without cutting up the current squad to do so.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

And although it’s the wrong thread I’m interested to see who player number 30 will be. I don’t think we’ve filled that spot yet?

I realize it will probably be a squad filler but with the forwards being good so far it will be interesting to see who the staff promote/sign. That’s presuming I’m not behind the 8 ball and they’ve already filled that spot?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We've got 2 halfbacks now, they both **** EDIT :lol:
I'll take my chances with this guy, as long as he can hold up defensively. It's hard to imagine he could be a downgrade on Williams or Sezer in attack.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Don’t forget Hingano!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Our back up hooker?
Indeed
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

PigRickman wrote: April 7, 2019, 3:22 pm
1-8 and 10-17 they probably aren't on the roosters level.
But the #9 is so far ahead of everyone else and so is their HC that it puts them right there with the roosters.

I might regret this at some point, but the bunnies dont scare me. I think our squad right now is as good as theirs.
For me it's the rabbits defensive frailty in the opening rounds that brings them back to the pack. If you can control some possession you are definitely going to score.
Roosters and Melbourne don't give those guarantees.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Gotta love this game!

5 weeks ago we had a squad that was struggling to get any love to be tipped for 5-8 finish.

Now we are an unknown halfback away from contending with the premiership favourites! :lol:

The squad as it stands has the ability to compete with the best in the comp. We also have the tendency to play at a level down with the worst. We didn't even look like being close to scoring a try against the Storm.

The talent is already there. The coach just has **** all idea how to bring it all together.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 8, 2019, 1:51 am Gotta love this game!

5 weeks ago we had a squad that was struggling to get any love to be tipped for 5-8 finish.

Now we are an unknown halfback away from contending with the premiership favourites! :lol:
Haha classic sports isn't it?
5 weeks is a long time... in 5 weeks time we might be discussing how we avoid the spoon :lol:
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

PigRickman wrote: April 8, 2019, 7:46 am
Seiffert82 wrote: April 8, 2019, 1:51 am Gotta love this game!

Haha classic sports isn't it?
5 weeks is a long time... in 5 weeks time we might be discussing how we avoid the spoon :lol:
No. We are this year's fairytale. Everyone else has had a go, except the Titans, and that would just be a fix.
Dogman7
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John bateman

Post by Dogman7 »

George Williams is a player who has not shown his true potential yet, the best is yet to come
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

You're right, it's still a pretty handy side on paper though. 1 of the best players of all time at 9, 1 of the best players in the world at 6, former QLD and Australian centre, NSW winger, starting NZ prop, QLD and aus backrower (F.Kaufusi). Have I left anyone out? Craig Bellamy is undoubtedly a great coach though, no one can deny that.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Hazza wrote: April 9, 2019, 5:10 pm
You're right, it's still a pretty handy side on paper though. 1 of the best players of all time at 9, 1 of the best players in the world at 6, former QLD and Australian centre, NSW winger, starting NZ prop, QLD and aus backrower (F.Kaufusi). Have I left anyone out? Craig Bellamy is undoubtedly a great coach though, no one can deny that.

Finucane is the most underrated forward in the game in my opinion. Huge impact on their performance.
Last edited by Wiki Special on April 9, 2019, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's very one dimensional though. That's why he misses out on the plaudits other players pick up.
I agree he's just what they need with other guys like Bromwich and NAS doing the crazy stuff.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Wiki Special wrote: April 9, 2019, 5:46 pm
Hazza wrote: April 9, 2019, 5:10 pm

Finucane is the most underrated forward in the game in my opinion. Huge impact on their performance.

Only meant to bold the Have I left anyone out? part, sorry.