Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

Looks like Val did OK.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The Dallas Cowboys agree to 5-year contract extension with DE DeMarcus Lawrence worth $105 million ($65 million guaranteed). (via Ian Rapoport + Mike Garafolo)
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Strong deal for Lawrence. Well earned.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

AAF is officially done. The guy who bought it out at the start of the season has basically taken his bat and ball and gone home. Really strange given they were just coming up to their post season, which is you time to cash in on the investment. He pledged $250m but pulled out after spending $70m.

On a positive note the past 24 hours has seen a bunch of AAF guys getting NFL contracts. These are generally the top performers of the league's short history and for most it's their 2nd chance.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 7, 2019, 3:06 pm AAF is officially done. The guy who bought it out at the start of the season has basically taken his bat and ball and gone home. Really strange given they were just coming up to their post season, which is you time to cash in on the investment. He pledged $250m but pulled out after spending $70m.

On a positive note the past 24 hours has seen a bunch of AAF guys getting NFL contracts. These are generally the top performers of the league's short history and for most it's their 2nd chance.
Ive been avoiding the NFL lately because of it. My beloved

*Checks notes*

Hotshots... are no more and my mighty heart is breaking.

But for any interested, there is going to be some long forms coming out of this in the coming days/weeks and i think it'll be a hellova read. Some WILD stuff out there about what this was all about, how it all went down and the damage in the aftermath.

Vince McMahon had better be be singularly focused on getting NFLPA and NFL buy in for the XFL if he's **** serious. This AAF looked a good set up and had plenty of capitol and couldnt make payroll after about 8 weeks, players, coaches and staff left holding the bag.
Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

I read there was some gambling app Intellectual property he wanted which he got and then shut it down
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Shezza wrote: April 7, 2019, 4:42 pm I read there was some gambling app Intellectual property he wanted which he got and then shut it down
Yeah that's been the running theory, but also been rebuked by other credible sources. As said the long forms that come out of this will be a fascinating read.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

So Val Holmes is back in Aus. Not saying anything to the media yet. Maybe there is something in the wind and all will be revealed at a press conference in the near future.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If that's true, i would strongly suggest he'd been told by good sources he's an UDFA at best, which means he's losing MILLIONS to try this out.
He's going to dem Boys from Nth Qld
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Holmes has been allocated to the Jets as an exemption to their roster for Training Camp.
Not a bad spot to land roster wise
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Darnold has an early Valentine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Thats about a good a result as he could get. Guaranteed a practice squad spot as an absolute minimum. Hopefully his expectations didn't outwiegh reality and he has a real crack.

Looking at the reports from his workout his measurables are pretty good.

40 yard 4.45 sec
Verticle Jump 33 1.2"
3 Cone 6.8 sec
Height 6' 1"
Weight 198lb
Hand 9 1/2"
Arm 30 3/8"

40 time is up there with the best RBs and good enough for WR. Size wise he's more the latter than the former. Very much like Hayne he projects mostly as a 3rd down back. He runs with his legs at a low profile which helps at RB. In the Jets program he could add a little bulk to get into the 205lb range which is closer to the prototypical size.

Unless something goes awry (injury or quitting) we should see him play in the pre-season.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: April 9, 2019, 1:02 pm Thats about a good a result as he could get. Guaranteed a practice squad spot as an absolute minimum. Hopefully his expectations didn't outwiegh reality and he has a real crack.

40 yard 4.45 sec
Verticle Jump 33 1.2"
3 Cone 6.8 sec
Height 6' 1"
Weight 198lb
Hand 9 1/2"
Arm 30 3/8"

40 time is up there with the best RBs and good enough for WR. Size wise he's more the latter than the former. Very much like Hayne he projects mostly as a 3rd down back. He runs with his legs at a low profile which helps at RB. In the Jets program he could add a little bulk to get into the 205lb range which is closer to the prototypical size.

Unless something goes awry (injury or quitting) we should see him play in the pre-season.
That, or he signs with Cowboys
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I forgot that he can learn off Lev Bell
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: April 9, 2019, 1:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 9, 2019, 1:02 pm Thats about a good a result as he could get. Guaranteed a practice squad spot as an absolute minimum. Hopefully his expectations didn't outwiegh reality and he has a real crack.

40 yard 4.45 sec
Verticle Jump 33 1.2"
3 Cone 6.8 sec
Height 6' 1"
Weight 198lb
Hand 9 1/2"
Arm 30 3/8"

That would fall into the category of quitting.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: April 9, 2019, 4:50 pm
Matt wrote: April 9, 2019, 1:15 pm

40 yard 4.45 sec
Verticle Jump 33 1.2"
3 Cone 6.8 sec
Height 6' 1"
Weight 198lb
Hand 9 1/2"
Arm 30 3/8"

That would fall into the category of quitting.
yeah
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

PigRickman wrote:Vince McMahon had better be be singularly focused on getting NFLPA and NFL buy in for the XFL if he's **** serious. This AAF looked a good set up and had plenty of capitol and couldnt make payroll after about 8 weeks, players, coaches and staff left holding the bag.
As a very casual NFL viewer, and a WWE fan, I’m interested to get your view on the XFL? Where you think it failed before, and why it will be different this time around?
Did they do anything that made you think “Man, the NFL need to steal that idea”?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 9, 2019, 5:10 pm
PigRickman wrote:Vince McMahon had better be be singularly focused on getting NFLPA and NFL buy in for the XFL if he's **** serious. This AAF looked a good set up and had plenty of capitol and couldnt make payroll after about 8 weeks, players, coaches and staff left holding the bag.
As a very casual NFL viewer, and a WWE fan, I’m interested to get your view on the XFL? Where you think it failed before, and why it will be different this time around?
Did they do anything that made you think “Man, the NFL need to steal that idea”?
admittedly i was much more in the WWE in the XFL days than i was NFL, so it's a weird place for me to be coming from here... but here's what i know and thought

I think it was too gimmicky, some of the rules were a bit too weird for the time, the overt focus on sex and violence, which was what the WWE was doing at the time, but ultimately it failed because the football wasnt very good. We cant get 32 good QB's in the NFL, and all the decent back ups at in the NFL and even their back ups... so by the time you get to these other leagues, we're talking about guys who pretty much cant play the QB position, and that position is so vital to the game.

Its very hard to explain how bad NFL football is when the QB cant play... because no other team sport is as reliant on a single position quite like that. I guess it would be like trying to watch the news when the newsreader is a mute... it's boarders on unwatchable.

I dont know how they overcome that, and i think that is ultimate why it too will fail. Until someone breaks the NCAA wheel and gets the college kids into their system, and gets the NFLPA and NFL on board so those kids can be paid to play and are then able to be drafted from that league... i just dont see any viability in a 3rd league unless its run by the NFL themselves in a GLeague sort of way.
I think they will tone down the gimmicks and it seems like they're focused on making it as close to NFL football as they can. That'll help too, but they'll need to be putting on a quality product and they'll need corporate backing and ratings.

As for innovation that came from the original XFL, it had lasting impacts on the broadcast side of things. The skycam was an XFL thing, the pre/post game interviews, mic'ing players up in game, the overall presentation of the product... the XFL forced the NFL to at least take that side of it seriously and lift their game.

Ultimately i think the XFL is going to be a total disaster. I really do, because i dont think the product will any good and i dont think it'll last long enough to risk breaking the NCAA wheel

Frankly the NFL and NCAA are pretty fine with the things are now.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I watched the XFL when it first started and it was a bit of a joke. It felt like some football parody you see in sci fi movies. Couldn't take it seriously and it wasn't fun enough to enjoy the novelty.

The AAF was as close as I've seen to a legitimate 2nd tier league. Just a shame it never really got a chance.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

After a little bit of posturing and a ton of media speculation about potential trades, Russell Wilson has re-signed with Seahawks. 4 years $140m makes him the highest paid QB in the league.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Northern Raider wrote:After a little bit of posturing and a ton of media speculation about potential trades, Russell Wilson has re-signed with Seahawks. 4 years $140m makes him the highest paid QB in the league.
Just wow.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The New England Patriots have signed WR Demaryius Thomas to one-year deal worth up to $6 million. (via Ian Rapoport)

WOOOW.
Guess we know who is playing Gronks role this yr.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 17, 2019, 8:23 am After a little bit of posturing and a ton of media speculation about potential trades, Russell Wilson has re-signed with Seahawks. 4 years $140m makes him the highest paid QB in the league.
It was great how Russell's camp spoke openly about baseball contracts, full gtd money, fixing his contract to a % of cap etc... all these revolutionary deals and then signed the most cookie cutter NFL contract (in terms of structure) you can imagine :lol:

This is a good deal for both sides. Russell is the highest paid player in the league for now, the Hawks maintained their structures on contracts, and in 2 years time with the new CBA on the horizon, gambling revenue etc... 35mil a year when the Cap is 220mil isnt going to be a major issue, its only 15% of the cap
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: April 17, 2019, 11:42 am The New England Patriots have signed WR Demaryius Thomas to one-year deal worth up to $6 million. (via Ian Rapoport)

WOOOW.
Austin Safarian-Jenkins?
Thomas isnt an inline blocker and is mostly an X receiver whose best outside the hashes. I think the Gronk replacement is going to come next Friday
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

PigRickman wrote: April 17, 2019, 1:09 pm
Matt wrote: April 17, 2019, 11:42 am The New England Patriots have signed WR Demaryius Thomas to one-year deal worth up to $6 million. (via Ian Rapoport)

WOOOW.
Austin Safarian-Jenkins?
Thomas isnt an inline blocker and is mostly an X receiver whose best outside the hashes. I think the Gronk replacement is going to come next Friday
Was more thinking the beastmode pass catcher - hence role, rather than position. :D
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: April 17, 2019, 1:09 pm

WOOOW.
Austin Safarian-Jenkins?
Yeah, I reckon they will be drafting a TE as a long term replacement. Probably be a couple with day 2 or 3 picks. Get one of the higher rated ones as a primary target then another that's more a project. Will give them both competition and a safety net.

As for their pick at no. 32 it will be a case of assessing the board and taking the best available player left.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think the Pats have a LOT of top 100 picks, i think it's 5-6... they've got the ammo to move up
I could see them moving up if Hockenson slips into the mid teens
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

PigRickman wrote: April 17, 2019, 1:52 pm I think the Pats have a LOT of top 100 picks, i think it's 5-6... they've got the ammo to move up
I could see them moving up if Hockenson slips into the mid teens
Its not really in their nature to move up in the draft to chase players. If anytihng they have a habit of trading down for more picks. Rounds 2/3 seems the be the sweet spot for the getting the top TEs. Gronk himself was a 2nd round pick. Don't be shocked if they even trade down from pick 32 and still end up with the player they want.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

They did it a couple of years ago, trading up twice in the same draft to select Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower. So yeah their profile is to move back, but they have shown they're willing to come up if its for talent they covet.

The top 3 TE's in his class are all IMO going in the first round. Hockenson should go top 12-15. Fant and Irv Smith Jr too, though admittedly they appear to be trending down so may end up slipping out.

But Hockenson is the guy, that NE system has become super reliant on Gronk as a weapon and a run blocker, Hockenson is a great run blocker and insanely good athlete with great hands. If Hockenson slides into 15-16-17 territory, which is RIPE with teams super keen to trade back and collect picks... i think NE will be working the phones.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I reckon there could be a lot of trade activity on day 1. Particularly if we see an early move.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i think we're going to start seeing a shift... for so long the best teams have understood the value of trading down and collecting more picks, the pick swaps, the trading this year's 4th for next years 3rd and all that

and now the bad teams have figured it out too and i think the script is going to flip soon where teams are going to be so desperate to move down that moving up becomes the value play. And i think it could start this year.
Colts, Eagles, Chargers, Chiefs, Packers @ 31, Saints, NE and Rams could all be trade up candidates imo
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I agree we'll see a shift where trading up becomes far better value. Don't see it happening this year though. Teams trading down will still be seeking value. If that value doesn't present itself then they will hold their spot. Somebody will make still make their play chasing the guy the covet. Simply because they don't know other offers are light they will still bid strongly on the trade. This type of move will decline though and in coming years the expectations of those trading down will reduce and these lesser offers will be accepted.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My 1.0 Mock

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockdraft/LxH6OCkfWi

Ill work on my final in the next few days so BLOCK OUT YOUR CALENDARS because nothing is more important than my idiot mock!
haha

But still i enjoy and if i go through the exercise i should at least put it somewhere haha
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Who would the Chargers trade up for?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

PigRickman wrote: April 18, 2019, 10:21 pm My 1.0 Mock

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockdraft/LxH6OCkfWi

Ill work on my final in the next few days so BLOCK OUT YOUR CALENDARS because nothing is more important than my idiot mock!
haha

But still i enjoy and if i go through the exercise i should at least put it somewhere haha
As usual, im only familiar with the most of that top 20. Im even less so this yr coz my Boys dont pick til 50 something. But looks solid to me.