New recruits

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

New recruits

Post by papabear »

John Bateman and CNK have been absolute quality

I was expecting another dud year but these guys might drag us somewhere this year.

Honestly bateman is as good as any footballer I have seen out of england in a long long time.

I have liked his first three games more then i liked whiteheads or hodgsons first three.

I cant stress how impressed I am by this bloke, literally if he was an aussie i would pick him for nsw as the first backrower.

Honestly, I am going to be sad if he gets sent back to the middle, he just has so much game.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: New recruits

Post by Canberra Milk »

One thing Ricky has done well is recruiting

Bateman is allll over for example TPJ, it's not even funny. Competitive, breaks the line seemingly at will, turn of pace, tough defence, vision... get him up here I wanna boof him. He's an elite tier player, I'll say it now, top 10 in the game quality. Whitehead is a great toiler, adds a lot of value when attacking the opposition 20-30 but is not in the same league as the Bate. Hope I'm not overhyping him but it's been a ridiculously good start

CNK has great fullback speed/agility which I always said Wighton didn't have. Can change angles quickly, and stop on a dime. So important for kick defusing and also attack, as seen in his killer second try. Works hard too and a great attitude. Again, hope I'm not overhyping but very happy
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

My expectations for CNK are much like my expectations for the first 3 rounds, I had none. Honestly thought he was a squad filler that might get a run while we were down on troops.
I stumbled on the warriors pages on Facebook when we signed him and they were livid, for good reason too.
He’s a bloody gun! His positioning in attack and defense is already very good, he’s fast and strong, safe under the high ball. What ore could you want ?

J bateman what more could you ask for? He’s literally one of the best players in the Comp already.

Sutton was meh, but yesterday with added minutes and responsibility already looks like a more useful middle player than boys and Paulo were since 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

CNK hasn't surprised me at all. I knew he was quality. Johnny B I'd hardly seen but he's a seasoned international we shouldn't be that surprised. He's got it all doesn't he. Good motor, reasonable pace, footwork, good defender. He's a good'un.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I love you Hazza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

The Rickman wrote: March 30, 2019, 3:47 am I love you Hazza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eeyahhhh. Oh the feeling's more than mutual my son. I love everyone atm
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Bateman....wow !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

It's a good start. CNK in particular surprised me but he probably surprised the opposition as well. It will get a lot harder for him if he keeps playing so well.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Bateman , Horsburgh and Young are all complete psychopaths and i love it
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Raiders666 wrote: March 30, 2019, 7:07 am Bateman , Horsburgh and Young are all complete psychopaths and i love it
Horsburgh also showed he is a coachable psychopath last night. He really toned it down.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Raiders666 wrote:Bateman , Horsburgh and Young are all complete psychopaths and i love it
I love it too. We have a mongrel pack we haven't seen in years.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I love watching this team play this year. We compete for the 80 minutes, which is all we can ask for. I said in the pre-season that I expected Bateman to have have a Gareth Ellis type impact with our squad and he is probably exceeding that so far.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Our depth is starting to look very good also... Maybe short an outside back but we have some quality forwards waiting in the wings and Starling could do a job too
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Our team will only get better . The spine is new.

I liked the signing of CNK immediately. I remember his warriors games and then the highlights. But now he is in Lime Green the fullback position is his. And he seems a top bloke too.
Bateman is a gun. Out and out gun.

Sutton will show he is a good signing too. He is building into his NRL career.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Last edited by LimeGreenMachine on March 30, 2019, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

The new recruits are looking good

Bateman = Gun, A’s I thought he would be

Nicoll-Klokstad = solid with a big ceiling

Sutton = building slowly but nicely, bigger minutes and was very solid

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Everyone looks a lot better when you’re winning games, and it’s much easier to win games when you can defend.

Bateman is looking real good, but I had expectations he would go well.
CNK on the other hand has been great and my expectations were really low for him, so I’m pleasantly surprised. He’s been ultra safe at the back, and his two tries last night were brilliant.
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

I was impressed with Sutton. I watched him at the back end of the season at Wigan last year and wasn't impressed at all. I assume it was because he'd been injured and was a little out of shape. He looks fit and very solid, particularly defensively.
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

What if we were told we had to take Boyd and Paulo back and send Bateman, CNK and Sutton back?

What a terrible thought !
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Bateman last night: 190m, 2 line breaks, 1 offload, 9 tackle breaks, 41 tackles

CNK last night: 2 tries, 185m, 1 linebreak, 1 offload, 9 tackle breaks

Yeah, they're doing ok.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

So much for adapting to Australian conditions...Im not sure anyone could have predicted Bateman would have made such an impact this fast. I hope he is getting paid well because he is worth every penny
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

We're looking better for having no Austin and his abysmal defence

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Honestly Dylan Edwards look amateur compared to CNK , I want him as our fullback for the next 10 years
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bateman is an out and out superstar
Can not believe how good he is
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

As much as I hate not being able to sign NRL players you have to give credit to management for the plan B they came up with. It probably can't win us a comp but it's better than fighting for the scraps of the Roosters scraps.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Glad we didn't get Edwards Image

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

JB looks like a very high quality buy. I noticed Sammy getting him to come across the grain often and that's where he seemed to cause a lot of havoc. We could get a solid 5-7 years out of him, since he comes off as a guy who isn't going to let his performances or professionalism slip. I wouldn't rule him out being a captain at some stage either.

CNK I'd like to see more of before passing firm judgement. Though fullback is possibly one of the easiest positions to look inept in, it's also one of the easiest to look good in too. The modern fullback needs to play at a very high level, consistently, and have a wide range of skills. Though he's played well, I haven't seen much by way of ability with ball in hand, and his support play left a bit to be desired last night.

Potential is there for him to be a quality player but he's got a way to go - catching bombs and being safe is a part of the job that should be a given.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

dubby wrote: March 30, 2019, 5:35 pm We're looking better for having no Austin and his abysmal defence

On that, I actually thought Williams' defence looked better than it has in a while, too. The whole line looks better without Austin.

I am completely sold on all of them. Love them already. CNK has been outstanding, Bateman is just brilliant, I've been impressed by what we've seen of Sutton so far, Horsburgh is gonna be a cult hero in less than a season if he keeps this up, Young's enthusiasm just sparkles and I really liked Simonssen in that one game he's played too. This is good recruiting.

Honestly, between these pickups, not surrendering to the temptation to pay massive overs for Austin, Boyd and Paulo...I'm reeling in a bit of shock from the sudden excellence of our recruitment.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

afgtnk wrote:JB looks like a very high quality buy. I noticed Sammy getting him to come across the grain often and that's where he seemed to cause a lot of havoc. We could get a solid 5-7 years out of him, since he comes off as a guy who isn't going to let his performances or professionalism slip. I wouldn't rule him out being a captain at some stage either.

CNK I'd like to see more of before passing firm judgement. Though fullback is possibly one of the easiest positions to look inept in, it's also one of the easiest to look good in too. The modern fullback needs to play at a very high level, consistently, and have a wide range of skills. Though he's played well, I haven't seen much by way of ability with ball in hand, and his support play left a bit to be desired last night.

Potential is there for him to be a quality player but he's got a way to go - catching bombs and being safe is a part of the job that should be a given.
Agree with this.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sutton has been unspectacular, but he certainly looks like he belongs in First Grade. He's still only young, so plenty of potential there.

CNK is like that diamond in the rough find. Effort player with a real feel for positioning at the back. Great motor too. Has stepped into the role seamlessly and has covered a huge number of metres without it effecting his impact on kick returns.

Bateman is a dead set stud. The type of player you build a premiership team around. Just needs his mates to step up around him (Papa and Whitehead in particular).

I love the **** out of Horsburgh. A few errors in his game, but has walked into First Grade and started taking names from the get go. Outstanding prospect.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Right now I would take Bateman over both Victor Radley and Cameron Murray. That’s a pretty good pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

afgtnk wrote: March 30, 2019, 7:38 pm JB looks like a very high quality buy. I noticed Sammy getting him to come across the grain often and that's where he seemed to cause a lot of havoc. We could get a solid 5-7 years out of him, since he comes off as a guy who isn't going to let his performances or professionalism slip. I wouldn't rule him out being a captain at some stage either.

I havent studied the game in any depth, but my impression was that CNK was very strong on support play, just that nothing came of it.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

What I've noticed is that we are not relying on the same players who we normally have over the last few seasons.

Cotric, Raps and Whitehead haven't been horrible but they haven't dominated or needed to.

Bateman and CNK have stepped up and taken the line light.

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Very pleased so far with our new recruits. I'll be the first to admit that I was quite critical of our recruitment in the off season, although mainly because we didn't sign anyone with a track record in the NRL. But Bateman is the real deal and CNK is looking like a very astute pick up.

I still believe we're a half away from the complete package. Doesn't need to be anybody flashy, just someone with a reliable short kicking game will do for this team. I like Williams slightly better than Sezer in that regard, but still don't think he's at a week in week out NRL standard. Great back up half though. If this George Williams thing is happening, hopefully he can kick.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:
afgtnk wrote:JB looks like a very high quality buy. I noticed Sammy getting him to come across the grain often and that's where he seemed to cause a lot of havoc. We could get a solid 5-7 years out of him, since he comes off as a guy who isn't going to let his performances or professionalism slip. I wouldn't rule him out being a captain at some stage either.

Agree with this.

I really like what CNK offers so far. For opposition teams he is a bit of an unknown but our advantage here is that the way most teams nullify a decent fullback is to kick away from him to any other of the back 3 and well.... teams are more than welcome to do that. I've mentioned it before but I like his ability to evade or break the first tackle, on nearly every occasion so far. He looks hungry for success and apparently a fantastic guy off the field.

Bateman is awesome. Great work Ricky in bringing him here.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Bateman has put the rest of our team on notice. Pretty impressive for three games