Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights
Friday 29 March 6:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 3:30pm
Jersey Flegg: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights 3:45pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3
Weather: Showers, possible storm. Partly cloudy. Very high chance of showers and the chance of a thunderstorm, most likely late this afternoon and evening. Severe thunderstorms and heavy falls possible. Light winds.Partly cloudy. Chance of any rain: 100 per cent. Possible rainfall: 10 to 30 mm Min 11 Max 25

Round 2 2019. Melbourne Storm 22 - Canberra Raiders 10. It was billed as a litmus test for the Canberra Raiders, and so it proved to be. Canberra was playing against one of the benchmark teams and the match showed how far off the benchmark the Raiders are, at present.

The Storm dominated in the first half, and they led 14-0 after 30 minutes. It was where the game was won and lost. Canberra's pack was out-muscled and the Raiders struggled to make the 40 metre line in attack, set after set. Under pressure, the Raiders play makers too often didn't choose the right options - and there were too many crucial errors and penalties conceded.

The Storm had all the possession and territory in the first forty. It swung around in the second half, and the Raiders came back with a brace of tries to Jarrod Croker. But the match never really looked like it was out of Melbourne's keeping.

More on Round 2: As I saw it

In Round 3, the Raiders are again at home, this time against the up and coming Newcastle Knights. The Canberra Raiders will be without Kiwi second rower Joe Tapine, after he again injured his thumb. He'll miss one to two weeks. John Bateman moves to the second row in place of Tapine, while Ryan Sutton comes into the starting team at lock. Coach Ricky Stuart has named Hudson Young to make his debut in Sutton's vacant bench spot.

Knights coach Nathan Brown has named an unchanged team, despite fullback Connor Watson (kneee) under an injury cloud. Watson was wearing a knee brace at training on training early in the week, but he said: "It’s a precautionary thing to keep it still and safe." He's going to be given until Thursday to prove his fitness, but is likely to be ruled out, with Kurt Mann replacing him. Former Raiders Edrick Lee and Mitch Barnett will turn out for the Knights.

Late changes: Half Aidan Sezer (oblique) has been ruled out with injury for the Canberra Raiders on match eve, with Sam Williams promoted into the top 17 at starting half. Jack Murchie drops off the extended bench.

For the Knights, fullback Connor Watson (knee) has also been ruled out, with Kurt Mann to start in his place. Second rowers Sione Mata'utia and Lachlan Fitzgibbon have swapped edges, while Josh King and Jamie Buhrer come into the top 17 on the bench. Herman Ese'ese drops to the extended bench. Mason Lino drops out of the squad of 21.

Milestone: Jarrod Croker is eight points away from jumping into the top 10 for all-time leading points scorers in the NRL. He is now on 1786 points, seven points behind former Parramatta Eels player Luke Burt.

History: Canberra has a good overall record against Newcastle, winning 27 of 49 games, with two draws. The recent record is fairly strong as well, winning six and drawing one match in the last 10 clashes. In 2017, the Raiders suffered an embarrassing 34-20 loss in Round 10 at Hunter Stadium - to a team that would win just five matches all season. Canberra turned it around at home, winning 46-28 in Round 25. But by then, the season was pretty much over for the Green Machine. In Round 2 of 2018, the Raiders suffered an awful, last gasp 30-28 loss to the Knights at home. The Raiders have won 18 of 25 matches at Canberra Stadium, and drawn one. Canberra has won six of the last 10 games played at the venue.

2018 Round 2: Canberra Raiders V Newcastle Knights

Form: Raiders: WWLWL
Knights: WLLWL

The Newcastle Knights lost narrowly to the Penrith Panthers, 16-14, last week, after posting a 14-8 victory over the Sharks in Round 1. The "new" Knights are clearly a much more competitive outfit than the 11th placed Knights of 2018 - boasting one of the strongest crop of new recruits in 2019.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.70 favourites in the match, with the Knights paying $2.20. The Knights have a 2.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: After two rounds, the Raiders are placed fifth and the Knights are placed ninth - but purely on the basis of points differential. Both teams come into the match with a 1-1 record - and there's not much to the points differential either. We can't tell too much from team statistics after just two games. The Knights have posted a better completion rate (79 per cent, Raiders 76 per cent) and more average running metres (1504, Raiders 1360). The Raiders have been slightly more disciplined, with the Raiders conceding six penalties per match, the Knights eight. But for the most part, there's not much difference between the teams so far.

Our tip: This is a match that could easily go either way. Both teams are settling in new players and new combinations - including in the spine.

Both teams have a fullback being transformed into a five eighth - young superstar Kayln Ponga for the Knights and Jack Wighton for the Raiders. Both are still a work in progress. Wighton is the more experienced and a strong defender, while Ponga is a dangerous strike player - and can make the opposition pay if he's not closely watched.

The Raiders have an advantage at hooker. Danny Levi is a bit of a livewire at dummy half, but Josh Hodgson is in the top three hookers in the world. The Knights have the advantage at half. Mitchell Pearce sometimes doesn't turn up on the big occasions, and that's why the Roosters brought in Cooper Cronk and let Pearce head to the Knights. Aidan Sezer can be a match winner, but Pearce is the more consistent organiser. The outcome of the match will hinge on which set of play makers click.

Another key battle will be up front. The Raiders pack was dominated early by the Storm last week and only Josh Papalii and Sia Soliola topped the 100m mark in the match. The Knights' pack has been bolstered this year by the additon of David Klemmer, James Gavet and Tim Glasby. Last week, Klemmer made 198 metres from 21 runs and 30 tackles, and the Raiders will need to work hard to contain him.

Canberra has focused a lot on defence in the off season - but if they're to win, they'll need to fix the problems we saw on the left edge against the Storm... and improve their line speed and be better in the ruck. They'll also want to get off to a better start than last week. On the plus side, the Green Machine will have had a full seven days to prepare, rather than the five day turnaround they faced in the lead up to Round 2. On balance, I think the Raiders can take the competition points. Raiders by four.

What they're saying:

Jordan Rapana: "Newcastle they're on fire at the moment, they're coming off a two-point loss that could have gone either way. Kalyn Ponga moving to five-eighth, he'll be on our edge and he's a quality player so we're doing a lot of homework on him. I'll be up against big Edrick Lee as well, so I'll have a job to do and I'm looking forward to it.

Ryan Sutton: "Our first 20 minutes have got to be our best, if we can start and finish well we should be able to win. We've just got to fight fire with fire in the middle."

John Bateman on moving to the second row: "I have probably played most of my career in the back-row and on the right side so I'm excited by the chance. Obviously it's a loss for Joe being out but I'm looking forward to playing that position."

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
18. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Hudson Young
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

19. JJ Collins
20. Bailey Simonsson

Newcastle Knights

14. Kurt Mann
2. Edrick Lee
3. Hymel Hunt
4. Jesse Ramien
5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
6. Kalyn Ponga
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. David Klemmer
9. Danny Levi
10. James Gavet
12. Sione Mata'utia
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
13. Tim Glasby

15. Aidan Guerra
16. Mitch Barnett
18. Josh King
20. Jamie Buhrer

17. Herman Ese'ese
21. Brodie Jones

Officials:

Head referee: Jon Stone
Assistant referee: Tim Roby
Touch judges: Liam Nicholls, Rickey McFarlane
Standby: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Review official: Bryan Norrie
Senior review official: Jared Maxwell

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersKnights

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2019 #FromAllAngles

Mounties NSW Cup team: Click here

Jersey Flegg team: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Rd 3 V Knights: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Updated for team changes, weather and betting. Weather forecast has changed... looks like it could be wet day.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

11hrs.

Time for a nap, up around lunch, shops for supplies..

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So we can change the chance of rain to 100 per cent. Waking up to a wet morning.
Yorkshire Raider
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Bateman

Post by Yorkshire Raider »

Well my Rhino's in UK sneaked an unlikely win tonight so hoping for a double from the Green machine. Feeling confident for this.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

It would be nice to get some good weather to play in for a change...
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Sezer out Williams in
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Weakens our defence. I also liked Sezer's Rd.1 effort and he was behind a badly beaten pack last week. Was hoping to see him bounce back.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Timbo wrote:Weakens our defence. I also liked Sezer's Rd.1 effort and he was behind a badly beaten pack last week. Was hoping to see him bounce back.
Yeah I don’t know where Sezer gets the blame for last week. I’ve seen plenty of our halves over the last few years miss multiple key tackles to lose us games.

Sezer was one of about 8 Raiders who didn’t aim up against Storm.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We've had a fair bit of rain this morning (4mm since 9am, plus a fair bit before that). But at the moment it is fairly clear, cloudy but we have some sun. Not a lot heading our way on the radar, if there is any, it looks light. The heavy rain seems to be slipping away to the south (hopefully).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I think it’s going to be pretty wet for kick off and not let up much. It was a bit cool out at lunch as well. It won’t be nice for the crowd but shouldn’t hurt the raiders chances. They played good wet weather football round 1.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think were gunna pump em..

That's what my brain says...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Radar looks good, hopefully no rain or at least not storming
Surlyraider
Simon Woolford
Location: "If you don't like Canberra, f&#! off back where you came from"

Post by Surlyraider »

Been no rain and the sun has been out in Belconnen since at least 1pm.
"I'm the white Larry Bird"
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game Day!! Go the Raiders!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight’s clash between the Canberra Raiders and the Newcastle Knights! The Raiders line up as announced last night, the Knights promote Mitch Barnett to starting prop. Final team lists:

Canberra Raiders

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
18. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (C)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Siliva Havili
15. Hudson Young
16. Sia Soliola
17. Corey Horsburgh

Newcastle Knights

14. Kurt Mann
2. Edrick Lee
3. Hymel Hunt
4. Jesse Ramien
5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
6. Kalyn Ponga
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. David Klemmer
9. Danny Levi
16. Mitch Barnett
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Sione Mata'utia
13. Tim Glasby

10. James Gavet
15. Aidan Guerra
18. Josh King
20. Jamie Buhrer

17. Herman Ese'ese
21. Brodie Jones
The Greenhouse score update service
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

That special little moment when the Raiders play on your birthday.

The state of this place after a win/loss will bring every other forum on Earth to shame.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Happy Birthday 1992, you ****!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

It’s gunna rain......
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

EJ wrote: March 29, 2019, 4:24 pm Happy Birthday 1992, you ****!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
This is a family forum, don't need that.

Might be going to the EDIT later so let me know if you are near Camden.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Fox sports says 70% of money is on the Raiders- does that reflect the form of the teams or wage discrepancy between Canberra and Newcastle haha
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:Fox sports says 70% of money is on the Raiders- does that reflect the form of the teams or wage discrepancy between Canberra and Newcastle haha
Money is 50/50 if Charnwood and Tuggeranong are used.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ has an essay written on his wrist strapping! Hopefully not a few concepts too many for him....
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

So what exactly happened with Sezer? I didn't hear what injury/sickness/lack of skill he is out because of.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ultima wrote: March 29, 2019, 4:57 pm So what exactly happened with Sezer? I didn't hear what injury/sickness/lack of skill he is out because of.
I believe he twinged a skillstring
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Ultima wrote: March 29, 2019, 4:57 pm So what exactly happened with Sezer? I didn't hear what injury/sickness/lack of skill he is out because of.
Lack of skill in 3 years. In most other clubs that is a permanent time off; only 1-2 weeks in Canberra.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Newcastle Knights on the field. Now the Viking Clap!
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Go boys,get into 'em !!!!
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Poll:
Line green

Dark green
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Raiders kick off! They are running to the north!
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

1992 wrote: March 29, 2019, 4:58 pm
Lack of skill in 3 years. In most other clubs that is a permanent time off; only 1-2 weeks in Canberra.
Harsh but fair.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Line speed in defence looks a lot better this week! Granted that was one set, and then the ref ruined it :(
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

B.s call.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Last night that was a try now it's a penalty ok

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk