The Politics Thread 2019

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: The Politics Thread 2018

Post by The Nickman »

The whole thing has me slightly confused. The way I understand it, Pell's whole case was that he's innocent because there was no way he would've been in that room that soon after mass and it was a crowded area where people would be coming and going.

But then (again as I understand it), once he was found guilty, his lawyer then claimed it was "less than six minutes" or whatever he said, but that's only because they can't argue the innocent plea anymore?

Is that how it works, TR? If so, that's **** stupid.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

There will be a **** storm if Pell avoids prison on a technicality after the comments from his SC.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Rickman wrote:The whole thing has me slightly confused. The way I understand it, Pell's whole case was that he's innocent because there was no way he would've been in that room that soon after mass and it was a crowded area where people would be coming and going.

But then (again as I understand it), once he was found guilty, his lawyer then claimed it was "less than six minutes" or whatever he said, but that's only because they can't argue the innocent plea anymore?

Is that how it works, TR? If so, that's **** stupid.
An appeal will be on procedural grounds, I imagine. It won't consider evidence not submitted at the original trial.

JEEEZUZ, RICKMAN. KEEP UP.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Here’s more info about what the appeal might do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconvers ... ion-112620
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Schifty wrote:"Pell’s defence lawyer Robert Richter:

https://twitter.com/Eliza_Rugg9/status/ ... 6395797504

And yes you're reading that correctly, that is what the DEFENCE said in court....
Jesus that is mind blowingly awful
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

You can put the submission without any admission to guilt based on the prosecutors facts.

Ie I am not guilty, but even if you are to believe the prosecutors facts it was only 6 minutes.

Though I agree with the sentiment on this thread.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

So the church knew about allegations about Pell for over 20 years and found if right to make him a cardinal and only start investigating it now he’s been found guilty.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victori ... 1551921380

While it’s obvious I have an issue with organized religion the Catholic Church is the worst of the worst due to their setup up, an organization with difinitive hierarchy, their own country and diplomatic immunity, it’s ridiculous the world has allowed them so much power.

Hitchens can run through their crimes against humanity better than I could.

I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Manbush wrote: March 7, 2019, 12:56 pm So the church knew about allegations about Pell for over 20 years and found if right to make him a cardinal and only start investigating it now he’s been found guilty.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victori ... 1551921380

While it’s obvious I have an issue with organized religion the Catholic Church is the worst of the worst due to their setup up, an organization with difinitive hierarchy, their own country and diplomatic immunity, it’s ridiculous the world has allowed them so much power.

Hitchens can run through their crimes against humanity better than I could.

Isn't that the debate where Fry makes the comments you posted out of context earlier in the thread?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Shouldn't that be in the Religion thread?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The Politics Thread 2018

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:Shouldn't that be in the Religion thread?
There is no Religion thread anymore. GE closed it because dubby couldn’t handle people handing his **** to him on a repeated basis over his homophobic views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: March 7, 2019, 3:48 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Shouldn't that be in the Religion thread?
There is no Religion thread anymore. GE closed it because dubby couldn’t handle people handing his **** to him on a repeated basis over his homophobic views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats a shame. It was much better when all religious debate was contained in one thread. Made it so much easier to ignore.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Green eyed Mick wrote: March 7, 2019, 3:18 pm
Isn't that the debate where Fry makes the comments you posted out of context earlier in the thread?
[/quote]
Haven’t watched that whole debate in a while but I don’t believe so, from memory it was more in relation to a bill which could allow comedians and writers to be prosecuted if they caused offense.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Northern Raider wrote: March 7, 2019, 3:45 pm Shouldn't that be in the Religion thread?
With Pell and everything else happening with the CC I’d say it fits both categories.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Manbush wrote: March 7, 2019, 5:55 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 7, 2019, 3:45 pm Shouldn't that be in the Religion thread?
With Pell and everything else happening with the CC I’d say it fits both categories.
No it doesn't
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Meanwhile in America Trump has been hanging out with the owner of the "Massage parlour" that the owner of the patriots was caught at and even had her at white house meetings.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote: March 9, 2019, 8:02 am Meanwhile in America Trump has been hanging out with the owner of the "Massage parlour" that the owner of the patriots was caught at and even had her at white house meetings.
And signing Bibles :lol:
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Ok can I get a show of hands as to who had "Canberra politician Giulia Jones has linked a bill to force Catholic priests to report child abuse disclosed in confession to the Christchurch shootings, saying they both targeted people of faith." in the What stupid **** our politicians will say this week bingo?

https://twitter.com/jcobevans/status/11 ... 1073510400
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Schifty wrote: March 19, 2019, 7:51 pm Ok can I get a show of hands as to who had "Canberra politician Giulia Jones has linked a bill to force Catholic priests to report child abuse disclosed in confession to the Christchurch shootings, saying they both targeted people of faith." in the What stupid **** our politicians will say this week bingo?

https://twitter.com/jcobevans/status/11 ... 1073510400
Linda Reynolds comments on Q&A were pretty ****ing dumb and she continued the time honoured coalition tradition of conflating terrorism with refugees.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Reynolds rants were bizarre, especially after spending 5 minutes telling everyone "Stop trying to politicise this"

Jones still wins for me though. To respond to laws making reporting child abuse mandatory with that is next level.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Come on NSW Mark Latham seriously? :rant
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Labor with a swing against it in nsw despite whats happening with the liberal feds.

Pretty impressive from labor :P
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Nats lost 40% of their primary vote in Orange :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

I came here to read about politics in 2018 and all I got was a bunch of 2019 politics
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I find it odd that the shooters are picking up so much votes given what happened in nz
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

papabear wrote: March 25, 2019, 8:00 pm I find it odd that the shooters are picking up so much votes given what happened in nz
There was a big "Anyone but Nats" campaign in regional NSW.

Also one of the Fs stands for farmers and the water thing was a big factor.

They also fielded an articulate candidate

https://twitter.com/andrewwhiteau/statu ... 4917238784

Don't think the SFF runs federally but if some strong independents run up there Nats are in big trouble.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Re: The Politics Thread 2019

Post by Schifty »

SO one Nation has been meeting with the NRA to learn about trying to weaken gun laws and were even hopeful for 20 Million is funding from them.

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/11 ... 6305822720

But yes, please tell me how it should be a seat by seat basis on whether they should be preferenced
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What if Zombie Hitler runs in one of the seats? You’re damn well gonna preference One Nation!

Do you even think about these things Schifty?!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

gangrenous wrote: March 26, 2019, 5:39 pm What if Zombie Hitler runs in one of the seats? You’re damn well gonna preference One Nation!

Do you even think about these things Schifty?!
Look is Zombie Hitler came back there would be no chance he'd have time to run for politics with all his sky news commitments
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Well that was more sickening that I could ever imagine.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Pauline thinks Port Arthur was a false flag.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I watched it with my wife.

To be honest it could strengthen one nation.

ABC and Al Jazeera are exposing one nation to new audiences and with a hidden camera without consent it was underhanded.
Last edited by papabear on March 27, 2019, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

https://www.news.com.au/national/federa ... 2bc3e5ad5e

Good to see Bill invoking class warfare and bringing property into the election.

The more bill brings up property the more votes he loses.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Schifty wrote: March 25, 2019, 8:31 pm
papabear wrote: March 25, 2019, 8:00 pm I find it odd that the shooters are picking up so much votes given what happened in nz
There was a big "Anyone but Nats" campaign in regional NSW.

Also one of the Fs stands for farmers and the water thing was a big factor.

They also fielded an articulate candidate

https://twitter.com/andrewwhiteau/statu ... 4917238784

Don't think the SFF runs federally but if some strong independents run up there Nats are in big trouble.
Still, all I have read of that party is there efforts to get shooting in national parks and gun laws softened. Haven't ever read them fighting the farmers or water battle.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

papabear wrote: March 27, 2019, 9:27 am https://www.news.com.au/national/federa ... 2bc3e5ad5e

Good to see Bill invoking class warfare and bringing property into the election.

The whole generational privilege thing certainly worked for Bill. His lawyer parents ensured that he went to all the best schools, all the way up until the Unions paid for his Melbourne University MBA for him.

I really struggle with the basic premise of Shorten's class warrior stance.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:
papabear wrote: March 27, 2019, 9:27 am https://www.news.com.au/national/federa ... 2bc3e5ad5e

The whole generational privilege thing certainly worked for Bill. His lawyer parents ensured that he went to all the best schools, all the way up until the Unions paid for his Melbourne University MBA for him.

I really struggle with the basic premise of Shorten's class warrior stance.
He is a ****. What's to get?