All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Matt's Match-ups 2019

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 1: Raiders V Titans

Apologies for not being able to do this sooner; it’s been a big week. But... back by popular demand, I'm back for another season. Most of you know the rules, but here is the refresh:

1. Skins are selected on form. That is done, in order, by ‘the eye test’, then box scores, then by said players ‘NRL status’/ generally accepted ability.
2. Injury rule – A players ‘form guide’ is effected by the number of games he plays, therefore if he is injured that is broken. The greater the length of time out, the worse the effect on form.
3. NRL Debutants – They cannot win the skin in their debut game (this applies to anyone who has zero NRL experience)
4. ‘Milford Rule’ – no matter how poorly a super star is going, if I tip against them, they will shred us on game day.

As most of you will know by now, Matt's Match-ups isn’t a popularity contest, nor a big name ego stroking blog, this is a form guide, as seen by Matt. However… as it is only Round 1, there is no form guide to go on, so it’s the only week I do a ‘pick your poison’ set of skins.

Titans V Raiders

Michael Gordon 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Brenko Lee 2. Nick Cotric
Tyrone Peachey 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Brian Kelly 4. Joseph Leilua
Phillip Sami 5. Bailey Simonsson
Tyrone Roberts 6. Jack Wighton
Ashley Taylor 7. Aidan Sezer
Jarrod Wallace 8. Josh Papalii
Nathan Peats 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Shannon Boyd 10. Sia Soliola
Kevin Proctor 11. Joseph Tapine
Ryan James © 12. Elliott Whitehead
Jai Arrow 13. John Bateman

Interchange
Alexander Brimson 14. Siliva Havili
Moeaki Fotuaika 15. Ryan Sutton
Max King 16. Dunamis Lui
Bryce Cartwright 17. Corey Horsbough

Extended Bench
Mitch Rein 18. Sam Williams
Dale Copley 19. Jack Murchie
Anthony Don20. Luke Bateman
Keegan Hipgrave 21. JJ Collins

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Michael Gordon might be long in the tooth, but this is Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad’s first NRL game at fullback.

Wingers:
In another life Brenko Lee may have got some more love from me, but Nick Cotric is a superstar winger as a teenager. Bailey Simonsson is another of the Raiders rookies, so Phillip Sami gets an easy skin.

Centres:
Tyrone Peachey might be an Origin incumbent, but only as a jack of all trades. Jarrod Croker is under rated and underappreciated, even by Raiders fans. However, I believe this is a no contest. I’ll take the tried and true center over the flash and dash.

Brian Kelly might be fast, but he can miss tackles even quicker. Joseph Leilua might have his bad moments, but at the end of the day, his good usually outweighs the bad. He has now been on both sides of the dodgy Dally M tally too.

Halves:
Tyrone Roberts has been stuck in ESL for a couple of years, and while Jack Wighton hasn’t played five-eighth in a few years, he is a much better player than he was then. He also arguably has a better supporting cast in the spine. I’m happy to take the punt on this one, and pick the half with the stinging defense.

I said it a million times, but Aidan Sezer hasn’t been the same player since leaving the Gold Coast. Ash Taylor on the other hand is only getting better. With a decent year, he could be in Origin contention again this year.

Prop:
Jarrod Wallace is a good player in his own right, and a current Origin incumbent. However, Josh Papalii is a special player. Easy pick really.

Shannon Boyd is playing against his old club for the first time. A lot will be expected of him on the Coast this year. I love Sia, but given the big minute middles in this contest, I want some size for impact in this one off round of skins. I’ll take the former Raider here.

Moeaki Fotuaika is basically a NRL rookie, however, I like his impact and size. I’ll take the limited NRL experience over the experienced Englishman, but NRL rookie, Ryan Sutton.

Max King came onto the NRL scene as a very young forward. I rate this kid very highly. He has a great motor and plays above his weight. Dunamis Lui is a solid, experienced player, but he isn’t a needle mover. So, I’ll take the gamble on youth here.

Hooker/utility:
Nathan Peats was a one-time Origin player, but he isn’t in Josh Hodgson’s class.

It’s criminal that AJ Brimson isn’t in the starting side somewhere. He is far too good to be rotting on the bench. However, this is a one off round, and in my side I want a genuine backup at hooker should disaster strike... and one who can provide some utility value on top of that. Siliva Havili was very good while Hodgson was injured last year, and has shown he is capable as a running forward too. He gets my utility vote.

Backrow:
A couple of Kiwi internationals going head to head here, in Kevin Proctor and Joseph Tapine. This is the old guard meeting the new. Kevin Proctor is a good player, but not the same guy he was outside Cooper Cronk. Joseph Tapine has been an absolute weapon in the last 12 months. I’ll take him in a heartbeat.

Ryan James is a cranky man, who has been playing prop the last few years - and if you believe Twitter, he will play there again this weekend. That said, Elliott Whitehead is an international backrower with a great resume.

The next match-up is the toughest call of the entire game. Jai Arrow lit up the NRL last year, and grabbed an Origin jersey. John Bateman is an English international who was one of the runners up in the international Golden Boot award. I’ve gone with the proven big minute middle, but I’ll be exceptionally happy to be wrong.

Bryce Cartwright is on his last chance, so will the ‘Carty Party’ make an appearance in 2019? I love the fact that ‘The Big Red Fire Engine’, Corey Horsburgh, banged the door down in the trials to get a debut. If Alan Tongue had Corey’s body he would have been an international. Cartwright wins against a rookie.

Result
The tally is Titans eight and Raiders nine. It is Round 1, both sides are unknowns as yet. I like the Titans' forward pack, it’s very strong. However, their backs are average, and their best one is riding the pine. The Raiders' pack now mimics the premiership winning Roosters' pack. Lighter, faster, and more mobile. The backs are still explosive, but they are missing a big piece with Rapana out.

Result: Titans at home (by 12-16).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Matts Matchup's 2019

Post by greeneyed »

Yes, it's back!
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Re: Matt's Match-ups 2019

Post by Brewdle »

The season now feels like it’s truly begun! #greatworkmatt #rickandmattarebothfourletternames #rickmatt

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks Matt. Agree that Rd 1 is a guessing game. Just for some history, what is the worst the Raiders have done in Matt's match ups? You have us up 9-8 v the Titans. The reason I ask is that after that Melbourne performance on Thursday night there may be a new Matt's match ups record set for Rd 2.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: March 16, 2019, 12:33 am Thanks Matt. Agree that Rd 1 is a guessing game. Just for some history, what is the worst the Raiders have done in Matt's match ups? You have us up 9-8 v the Titans. The reason I ask is that after that Melbourne performance on Thursday night there may be a new Matt's match ups record set for Rd 2.
Not sure TBH.
If i were to guess id say 4 or 5.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Matt's Match-ups 2019

Post by The Nickman »

Nice work Matty, nailed them all!

Haha just jks, they’re all garbage

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: March 16, 2019, 6:26 am
RedRaider wrote: March 16, 2019, 12:33 am Thanks Matt. Agree that Rd 1 is a guessing game. Just for some history, what is the worst the Raiders have done in Matt's match ups? You have us up 9-8 v the Titans. The reason I ask is that after that Melbourne performance on Thursday night there may be a new Matt's match ups record set for Rd 2.
Not sure TBH.
Pending the outcome in the Titans match we might be there again, Matt. Storm were very impressive in their first Premiership match for 2019 last Thursday. I don't think they had a bad player and their squad has now shaken away some off season rust.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: March 16, 2019, 11:57 am
Matt wrote: March 16, 2019, 6:26 am
Not sure TBH.
Pending the outcome in the Titans match we might be there again, Matt. Storm were very impressive in their first Premiership match for 2019 last Thursday. I don't think they had a bad player and their squad has now shaken away some off season rust.
Yep. They really were
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Rickman wrote: March 16, 2019, 11:41 am Nice work Matty, nailed them all!

Thanks for the continued support Nicko
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote:

You know I’m always here for you, Matty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Can't wait to see Papa run at Cartwright.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Matt wrote: March 16, 2019, 1:57 pm

Worst ones this year!
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt on the money for Rnd 1. Which is slightly disappointing. :(

Jai Arrow vs John Bateman a tough call but you have to go with the guy who’s been going great guns in the NRL for the past couple of years.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:Matt on the money for Rnd 1. Which is slightly disappointing. :(

Jai Arrow vs John Bateman a tough call but you have to go with the guy who’s been going great guns in the NRL for the past couple of years.
Also, his rules clearly state that blokes on an NRL debut will lose their skin

And it’ll be the only skin Bateman loses this year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: March 17, 2019, 9:56 am
Northern Raider wrote:Matt on the money for Rnd 1. Which is slightly disappointing. :(

Including round 4?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

After tonight, yep
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote:

After tonight, yep
Love you Matty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

LOLerskates!
Arrow > Bateman!!

MID SEASON FORM!!

(just kidding! love your work, PigRickMan is turning the other cheek)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

For such a highly rated young player (rightly so) Arrow really doesn't have a good time against us. Papa literally broke him last time and this time Bateman gave him a lesson.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: March 17, 2019, 7:04 pm

After tonight, yep
Round 4 might be a test.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

RedRaider wrote: March 19, 2019, 5:01 pm
Matt wrote: March 17, 2019, 7:04 pm

After tonight, yep
Round 4 might be a test.
Thanks echoes
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Rd 2: Raiders V Storm

Raiders fans, after a great win, a win where the Green Machine held a luckless and lacklustre Titans to zero, we get some massive news. Jordan Rapana is back! Back two months early no less. His healing is super human.

The Storm didn't ever look troubled by the youthful Broncos. And yet, after a couple of missed tries, the Broncos were still in it at halftime, when they probably didn’t deserve to be. In the end, the class, experience and fatigue factor meant the Storm rammed the advantage home and got away with another Round 1 victory.

This week it’s an eight day turnaround versus a five day turnaround. This cannot be understated. Something like 90 per cent of five day turnaround teams lose. I don’t want to start with excuses, but it’s a fact that is very hard to ignore.

Anyway… cross your fingers and toes and hope for the Raiders being in that 10 per cent.

Storm V Raiders

Jahrome Hughes 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Suliasi Vunivalu 2. Nick Cotric
Will Chambers 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Curtis Scott 4. Joseph Leilua
Josh Addo-Carr 5. Jordan Rapana
Cameron Munster 6. Jack Wighton
Brodie Croft 7. Aidan Sezer
Jesse Bromwich 8. Josh Papalii
Cameron Smith © 9. Josh Hodgson ©
Nelson Asofa-Solomona 10. Dunamis Lui
Felise Kaufusi 11. Joseph Tapine
Kenneath Bromwich 12. Elliott Whitehead
Dale Finucane 13. John Bateman

Interchange
Brandon Smith 14. Siliva Havili
Christian Welch 15. Ryan Sutton
Tui Kamikamica 16. Sia Soliola
Patrick Kaufusi 17. Corey Horsburgh

Extended Bench
Marion Seve 18. Sam Williams
Albert Vete 19. JJ Collins
Ryan Papenhuyzen 20. Bailey Simonsson
Billy Walters 21. Jack Murchie

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Match-ups:

Fullbacks:
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad did a great job in club and position debut, in what were horrible conditions. He was regularly in great position, often beat the first man, and barely put a foot wrong. However, his opponent, Jahrome Hughes was everywhere for the Storm in Round 1, especially early in the game. He also scored a try. He wins the skin here.

Wingers:
Nick Cotric is a class act at such a young age, and had some classy touches against the Titans. But his back three partners had seven NRL games between them, and I don’t think he did enough to help them out. Tough critic, sure, but good players need a higher standard. His offload that lead to the Leilua try was fantastic. Suliasi Vunivalu was far more involved for the Storm in Round 1 and he carried the ball well too. I’m giving him the skin here.

I was all ready for a super controversial skin this week, with Bailey Simonsson scoring on debut and taking the tough carries... only to get a massive surprise, with Jordan Rapana named to return two months earlier than expected. I have heard of some interesting healing techniques for football players. The washing powder method Andrew McCullough used a year or two ago. The various methods I’ve heard super healer Isaac Luke uses... like Kava or Toro (Islander potato) paste/ balm. The Pacific Islanders have some healing power! Welcome back Rapa. Rapana is a massive "in" for the Raiders, but after a few months off, Josh Addo-Carr gets an injury rule skin.

Centres:
I’ll be honest. I barely remember seeing Will Chambers on Thursday night. Looking at his numbers they are actually pretty reasonable. However, for the only time I can remember, I’m talking up Jarrod Croker for his defence. It wasn’t just good, it was punishing. He had one bad miss on Michael Gordon, but otherwise it was a brick wall.

Joseph Leilua had a couple of barnstorming carries, including the run to score his try, against the Titans. However, he also had a couple of typical brain snaps too. Had he not scored the try, he would have totally butchered it. Bailey Simonsson should have been in untouched. Curtis Scott had a massive game. He also scored a try, but ran for over 200m. He hit some good form early.

Halves:
The battle of the No. 6's was a really tough call. I was quite impressed with Wighton, the five-eighth 2.0. His kicking game was much better than I expected, and he was still able to run the ball effectively. Blake Austin who? We have a new 60m dropout king. That said, it a much tougher contest, Cameron Munster. Munster, with the help of his captain, organised, and directed his team around the paddock. His kicking game was also very strong. In what is basically a coin toss, I’ve called it on the difficulty of their opposition last week.

In my opinion, Brodie Croft was the scapegoat for the Storm's poor start in 2018, and wasn’t let off the chain until the finals. I think the leash was put back on to start the year, but once there was a little broken play and second phase, he looked far better. For the Raiders, Aidan Sezer wins the skin for his ability to move his team around the park, especially in difficult conditions. His vision and touch kick for the Simonsson try was fantastic.

Prop:
Another super difficult skin, the battle between the two opposing No. 8's. Josh Papalii was fantastic for the Raiders, his go forward was typically great, his defense was bruising. He also played his part in the Simonsson try, showing some great hands. However, the big Kiwi, Jesse Bromwich, really stepped up his game, overrunning a much fancied, but youthful Broncos pack. He produced 153m gained, all of them good, and a magical dummy and go to score a try. A prop scoring a try will often make the difference.

Sia Soliola and Dunamis Lui switched positions on game day, something they did on a few occasions last year too. Lui was OK, he did his job. Nelson Asofa-Solomona was his typically damaging self. He one of those big guys that really makes you earn the tackle; I don’t envy anyone that has to stand in his way and bring him down. Easy skin, this one, in favour of the Storm prop.

Christian Welch plays the middle game minutes for the Storm. He does a lot of the dirty, thankless work, and goes unnoticed a lot of the time. He was a borderline Queensland Origin player a year ago, so it’s not totally unnoticed. Ryan Sutton played minimal minutes on debut, but looked the goods. This was great, because I thought he looked out of his depth and struggling with the heat in the trials. So a heap of English weather on debut suited him nicely. He also dealt with the tough niggle the Titans laid on late in the game too.

Having the experienced Sia Soliola come off the bench, to balance out the Raiders' youthful middle rotation proved invaluable for their composure. He did what he always does, without fuss or fanfare. Tui Kamikamica, however, made every one of his 28 minutes count. He makes big Nelson look like a normal sized human being. The Storm are bucking the smaller pack trend at the moment, playing some massive humans. His impact was super impressive and he wins the skin.

Corey Horsburgh produced rocks and diamonds on debut. He ran hard and tackled harder. However, he dropped some ball and gave away some penalties. That said, he has all the makings of being a good first grade footballer. Pat Kaufusi is playing another rare game in the top grade, and because of that, the one gamer gets the skin.

Hooker/utility:
I can’t split the two captain hookers. Both of them took the game by the scruff of the neck last week and lead their team to victory; one against a spirited team, the other against the elements. The heir and the heir apparent going head to head this week... what a blockbuster!

I like what Siliva Havili brings to the team, and he has the ability to be a more than handy running forward and backup hooker. On the other side of the ball, Brandon Smith proved that he is the benchmark when it comes to that role. He is an international hooker, and barely plays the role for his club. Last week, he proved that he can mix it as a running forward with the rest of the competition too.

Backrow:
Joseph Tapine can dominate a game of footy, but last week he was poor. It was a shame, because his performance in the All Stars game and the Bulldogs trial were very promising. Felise Kaufusi may have missed an extremely easy try, but he caused havoc for Anthony Milford all night long. 160m and 33 tackles is a great performance from a great player.

Elliott Whitehead also had a ‘Barry’ against the Titans, with lots of dropped ball from the Englishman. With any luck that’s out of his system now and we can move on to the good stuff. Kenny Bromwich had a wow of a game back on an edge for the Storm. Like his brother, he also crossed for a try and looked dangerous when he got the ball.

Dale Funicane was a standout in a beaten side in the 2018 Grand Final. He was solid last week against the Broncos. John Bateman produced a man of the match performance on debut for the Raiders on Sunday. He was absolutely amazing, and I can see why Michael Ennis likened him to Anthony Watmough. He was tough, dogged and relentless.

Result
The tally is Storm 12 and Raiders 4 plus a draw. This is actually more lop sided than I thought after our win, but there are certainly a few really tight skins n this one. I'm still quietly confident about the Raiders' chances this year, but as yet I can’t get my hopes up. At the end of the day, for me, this game hinges on the fact that it’s a five day turnaround versus an eight day turnaround.

Result: Storm because of an eight day refresher (by 8-12).

Plus follow The Greenhouse on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sia Soliola loses the skin? I don't get that! A tie for Papalii and Bromwich would have been a fairer result.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Thanks for the assist GE. Appoliges for the rookie mistakes tonight.

I like Sia i do, but i loved watching Kami smash Broncos on Thursday.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Alright boys, let's get the lynchin' going

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I was so stunned that Matt wanted Kamikamica in front of Lui... I actually checked with him that he was indeed making that his skin!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Out of the four centres playing I would almost always pick BJ first over the other three. He has the X factor that every side wants on an edge. When he scored the try I don't blame him for not using his winger as he should back himself, particularly in those conditions where we saw pushing the pass ended in turnovers. Also as far as I remember it wasn't late in the tackle count.
Papalii and Sia also a little unlucky. And never really been a fan of F Kaufisi. I would probably mark this 3 plus the halfback skin as draws, Croft I think is a decent half.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kaufusi had big numbers in Round 1. Bigger than I expected when doing my own preview.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Kaufusi had big numbers in Round 1. Bigger than I expected when doing my own preview.
Big numbers as in work rate? I just don't think he offers the impact of Tapine or the ball skills of Whitehead. I think those two attributes are more important than work rate for an edge forward, however Whitehead has proven many times over he has an incredible motor.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hmm Sia seemed to do more in every category plus you can't say he lacked impact- he hit very hard and bent the line. This Kamicamica must have caught the eye apart from just being big.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: March 19, 2019, 10:10 pm Out of the four centres playing I would almost always pick BJ first over the other three. He has the X factor that every side wants on an edge. When he scored the try I don't blame him for not using his winger as he should back himself, particularly in those conditions where we saw pushing the pass ended in turnovers. Also as far as I remember it wasn't late in the tackle count.
Papalii and Sia also a little unlucky. And never really been a fan of F Kaufisi. I would probably mark this 3 plus the halfback skin as draws, Croft I think is a decent half.

That wasnt going to be a pushed pass though. Simonsson was wiiiiiiiide open. It was a walk in try.
I guarantee, had he not scored EVERYONE would have blasted him for not passing.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

gergreg wrote: March 19, 2019, 10:22 pm
greeneyed wrote:Kaufusi had big numbers in Round 1. Bigger than I expected when doing my own preview.
Big numbers as in work rate? I just don't think he offers the impact of Tapine or the ball skills of Whitehead. I think those two attributes are more important than work rate for an edge forward, however Whitehead has proven many times over he has an incredible motor.

Yeah, I agree, but both our boys had poor games against the Titans.

Kaufusi is a hole runner, a good one, and definitely a better player than Proctor, whom he replaced. He terrorized Milf on Thursday night
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think Matt is doin a fair job !!!'
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: March 19, 2019, 10:50 pm Hmm Sia seemed to do more in every category plus you can't say he lacked impact- he hit very hard and bent the line. This Kamicamica must have caught the eye apart from just being big.
He was dead set killing people BnM. His hit on Oates was awesome
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: March 20, 2019, 8:39 am I think Matt is doin a fair job !!!'
cheers