Titans 13+
No votes

Total votes: 18

Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Rd 1 V Titans: Game Day

Post by Thomas Raider »

Very enjoyable win,i was impressed with our new players,also as others have said,there seems to be a calmness about the team this year,lets hope that continues :) :)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: March 18, 2019, 1:57 pm
greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2019, 1:53 pm Is Bailey Simonsson's try on debut the NRL Try of the Week? https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/18/try-of-the-week/

Vote for NRL try of the week: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/18/try ... -vote-now/

Vote for the Raiders man of the match: https://www.raiders.com.au/competitions ... vote-motm/
The current leader for best try of the week is... an intercept.
But it's a length of the field Edrick intercept... even I still love those, I miss those big gadget arms and the slow motion but somehow unstoppable top speed. It's good fun.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I love the try but try of the week it aint.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

No better sight in NRL than him in the open

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Terrific first game. Horrible conditions but one of the biggest things for me is the way the boys just went for the 2 and kept grinding the Titans. In the past they would have gotten frustrated they hadn't scored in 20 mins and threw hail mary's. Might have just been the conditions but they certainly looked very settled and purposeful. Thought Bateman was awesome in his first game and Jack played very solid. Some really nice kicks.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yeah my thoughts echo everyone else’s. It was a good win, but hard to gauge who performed well because it was wetter than a Submarines licence plate.

Next week will be the tester. If it’s dry and CNK is still making those errors, we can worry.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

CNK only had 2 mistakes that I remember , 1 was communication and the other he spilled it although I didnt think it was a knock on , but both were early in the game. After that he was more than solid. I dont think we have to worry about CNK. He is going to be a good pick up for us.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:CNK only had 2 mistakes that I remember , 1 was communication and the other he spilled it although I didnt think it was a knock on , but both were early in the game. After that he was more than solid. I dont think we have to worry about CNK. He is going to be a good pick up for us.
funny one where he dropped it onto his legs appeared to kick it backwards but I'm sure there's something about intent of the kick etc

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Im in the camp of letting the ball bpunce being the right course of action in those conditions. Cnk had enough room to have any bounce covered as well as tackle any opposition chaser, as ahown with proctor
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Biblical rain can't douse Ricky Stuart's Canberra Raiders passion

Not even rain of biblical proportions can keep Ricky Stuart off the end of the Canberra Raiders' defensive line, and that's just the way Jarrod Croker likes it.

"It’s great for the game, seeing guys like that so passionate on the sideline. You see other coaches up in the box, they show their passion and might throw a water bottle or something, but it’s the passion and how dedicated they are to the game. It’s good for the game.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 51523.html

Raiders embarrass Titans: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/live- ... 42a7fcc545

Top five take-outs from promising Raiders’ round one win: https://the-riotact.com/lots-to-love-ab ... win/291303
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Great contrarian thinking by Rick.

I suppose it’s possible you might get a better view of the game from up in the coaches box... but no one can see just how green you’re bleeding up there, so what’s the point??!!
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Agree with CoastalRaider and Raiderskater here - and pretty much everyone else, but I did like their points.

Couple of others - Croker was mighty in defence, like he'd really challenged himself - it seemed to take the Titans by surprise and also, just looking at him, I dunno if it was my imagination but his torso looked a lot more barrel-like. Maybe he's been doing more than the usual strength work, maybe it's a maturing body.

Speaking of barrels I'm not keen on Ricky's tv ads. They won't sway my vote.

CNK's runs were pretty good signs of intent. I'm really keen to see what kind of elusiveness he shows if he actually beats that first line.

Joey Leilua looked like he was trying to take on the work of two men. Lucky it worked.

I'm looking forward to our halves wandering from one side of the field to the other - a bit more unpredictability might work wonders.

Nice to see straight defensive lines, not that I'm staring at YOU Blake...

Does that scenario training look like it might have paid off?
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

It would be interesting to know the percentage of tackles made on Boyd by Bateman. It seems he was on a mission to counter his contribution.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Hear from Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart on the win over the Titans

An outstanding defensive performance has helped the Raiders start the 2019 NRL season with a win, WIN News Canberra reports.

Video: http://ow.ly/RbZc30o5kJ2
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

John Bateman was the only lock to play 80 minutes this weekend #statsamazing

If there weren't such a dominant rugby league player named Jason Taumololo I would suggest that Bateman would take out lock of the year (insert Simpsons reference)
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joey Leilua the only Raiders player named in the NRL.com Team of the Week: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/nrl ... -vote-now/
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

greeneyed wrote: March 19, 2019, 11:07 am Joey Leilua the only Raiders player named in the NRL.com Team of the Week: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/17/nrl ... -vote-now/
Hodgson and Bateman were unlucky not to be named. Although, it would be hard not go past Taumalolo for the lock position.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Just watched the replay. Apart from a 10 min stretch in the 2nd half where no one could hold the ball it was a better standard game then I thought watching live. The titans weren't as bad as I thought, just lacked direction. Understandably. We controlled it beautifully. The storm will throw heaps more at us though.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

papabear wrote: March 18, 2019, 10:30 am
Rickmando wrote: March 18, 2019, 9:13 am
papabear wrote: March 18, 2019, 9:04 am Didnt rapana have a go at fullback a few years ago and was terrible?

What is interesting is leilua and cotric edge looked beastly in defence, so it will be interesting to see how that combination works moving forward and how they shuffle them around when rapana comes back.
Sorry papabear, lazy take.

Rapana was very good at fullback - positioned himself really well in defence and attack. Very natural player of the position.

He had some issues with drops - but they were a) equally as prevalent on the wing as at FB in the early days, something to his credit he worked hard to fix b) not the only metric worth assessing a fullback on

... to that point, people criticising CNK’s high ball work last night are missing the point. Conditions alone would be enough to give him a pass, but to focus mainly on the high balls would be to ignore the fact he was in great position for grubbed kicks and cover tackles on every single occasion, and was clearly communicating well with the front line.

Give me that first and foremost from my fullback any day of the week. Especially one playing in his first game for the club and only his 8th in the top grade
Having issues with drops is pretty much the most important thing for a fullback though isn’t it?

I agree his hands were **** everywhere, but **** hands are exacerbated at fullback as you are cleaning up a lot more kicks.

And let’s be honest his hands are still a bit of a problem.

I am not 100 percent against it, I am just more sure it’s justified at the moment. The best argument I can see is that it makes our spine look better on paper, but I think that is the wrong way to build this footy team.
Are we forgetting Wighton had poor hands at fullback too? He would consistently drop anything rolling along the ground, and would be good for at least 1 dropped bomb per game it would seem.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

How did the Titans not draw a charge for the shoulder charge on Papalli? It met all the criterion for a low level charge, but Resulted in nothing.

It was worse than a couple of recent ones that Tapine was charged with last season.