12%

Total votes: 26

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2019 Rd 1 V Titans: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by zim »

On the flip side our back 5 are a lot better so if we can contain them in the first 20 guys like Leilua and Croker will be able to do some work.
If James and Proctor aren't pushing real hard we will cause them a lot of problems out wide.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Zip Zip wrote: March 12, 2019, 7:04 pm I think that's about as good a team as we can name, but geez we're lacking size up front. The Titans forward pack is a huge strength, I don't know how we're going to be able to stop their go forward. The team looks alright, but yeah I'm a bit concerned.
I reckon theirs is oversized and we saw why that wasn't a strength last year. Ours would be similar size to the Roosters.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote:
Sid wrote: March 12, 2019, 9:58 am To avoid any confusion I think The Greenhouse should have count down timers for TLT, Game Day Kick Off and The Rickman's Pick... Man
The Rickman's Pick... Man?? Are we doing that again this year?? I've yet to receive any official confirmation from the Greenhouse OR the Raiders!
I haven’t received any official correspondence, but T_R has been all up in my DMs begging for some haikus!
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Zip Zip »

I hope so. I just don't see us bending their line. I know Hodgo will get us going forward. Let's hope we can stop Boyd, Wallace and Arrow.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

edwahu wrote:I reckon theirs is oversized and we saw why that wasn't a strength last year. Ours would be similar size to the Roosters.
They're not backrower stacked though, they have genuine middle forwards like Taukeiaho, Hargreaves, Liu. Guys who can just tuck the ball under the arm and roll forward.

They are 5 good players though, our forwards, that's the positive.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Very happy to see Horsburgh selected to make his debut. Hopefully he gets some decent minutes.
The off season defensive focus gets its first real test on Sunday. I saw little in the trials to show we would be any better this year than last.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

We will see an absolute barrage of bombs from Ash Taylor with that back 3 in this game.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

julian87 wrote:We will see an absolute barrage of bombs from Ash Taylor with that back 3 in this game.
We must put pressure on the kicker!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Has Emre fallen out of favour? Not even in the 21?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I like it! Excited for Round 1 and keen to see what our new batch of pommies can do.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Coastalraider wrote:
Woodgers wrote: March 12, 2019, 3:27 pm Yeah Guler is the only big surprise, strange he could've fallen that far out of favour to not even be on the list.

The rest of it is as expected and looks about as good as it can be. No Oldfield is a big blow but let's hope BS is not BS.
I wonder if this is Sticky making a statement early. Guler looked great last year, and average in the trials - this might be the message to the forward pack, ‘there is depth this year, and unless you are putting in solid work, you won’t get a look.’ For a young buck, it might be a great thing.
This is negated in Sutton was terrible in the trials and still got a start

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

FROG wrote:Stoked Horsburgh has been named. Let's hope he gets more than 5 mins game time!

Only change id have made is to put Guler ahead of Sutton. Appreciate sentiments that Gulers trial form wasnt that great but neither was suttons imo. I just hope it doesnt adversely affect his confidence.. hold on, perish that thought.. #inrickywetrust
I hope it doesn’t end up like another Paul Vaughan story

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Guler is a gun, I find it all very confusing. He was our best performing forward at the end of last year.

I am stoked Horsburgh is getting a run, but Stuart's selections continue to baffle. Lui not selected for the main trial with Guler the obvious front runner for a bench spot and Hunt starting, then Lui selected in the 17 with Guler/Hunt not even in the 21. Hunt I (sort of) get, but Guler is the exact type of forward we need - good leg speed and mobility, makes decent metres. To not even be named in the 21 is pretty confusing to me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders braced for battle with Shannon Boyd

The Canberra Raiders know the task of blunting the impact of the Gold Coast Titans forwards in round one has been made that much harder all thanks to former Raider Shannon Boyd.

"Obviously they'll be a bigger forward pack now Shannon Boyd's there. He was a massive loss for the Raiders, but we've got some young boys coming through and hopefully they can do a job for us.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/12/can ... nnon-boyd/

Gold Coast to hit Canberra Raiders with offensive blitz: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/13/gol ... ive-blitz/
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

LastRaider wrote: March 13, 2019, 3:59 am
Coastalraider wrote:
Woodgers wrote: March 12, 2019, 3:27 pm Yeah Guler is the only big surprise, strange he could've fallen that far out of favour to not even be on the list.

The rest of it is as expected and looks about as good as it can be. No Oldfield is a big blow but let's hope BS is not BS.
I wonder if this is Sticky making a statement early. Guler looked great last year, and average in the trials - this might be the message to the forward pack, ‘there is depth this year, and unless you are putting in solid work, you won’t get a look.’ For a young buck, it might be a great thing.
This is negated in Sutton was terrible in the trials and still got a start

But potentially he has been training the house down.

I dont know any of the background at all, but it would be fairly easy for a young bloke like Guler to go into the offseason with everyone talking about how he is a top 17 player in 2019, and get a bit complacent. This could be the message.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Guler is a young forward. Every bit of a rookie still. Playing him back at Mounties to get fitness up isn't the end of the world or bad management.

He will feature in FG this year but my take is by adding Lui just gives us that bit more experience. Horsburgh was the star of the trials there was no way he was missing out.
To have Horsburgh and Guler on the bench is probably too much of a risk with their limited First grade experience

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 13, 2019, 7:49 am Guler is a young forward. Every bit of a rookie still. Playing him back at Mounties to get fitness up isn't the end of the world or bad management.

He will feature in FG this year but my take is by adding Lui just gives us that bit more experience. Horsburgh was the star of the trials there was no way he was missing out.
To have Horsburgh and Guler on the bench is probably too much of a risk with their limited First grade experience

Not sure I agree. You have players like Cameron Murray and Victor Radley playing starting roles for their clubs, I don't think Guler is too far behind them in terms of talent. We have plenty of experience with Whitehead, Soliola, and Papalii - you could bring Soliola off the bench and start with Guler if worried about experience on the bench.

I guess Stuart's treatment of Pangai Jr has me worried.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Guys, Ive pondered this overnight.

Sutton is a 120 game rookie, who struggled in the heat of the trials. Yes he has the professional stuff down off the field, but the NRL is a step up from ESL.

Horsbough banged down the door in the trials to get a run. He is also a rookie.

I dont think Ricky could allow himself to pick a 3rd rookie middle on the bench. Because if he did, he would probably have to heap pressure on Havili to be the experienced middle on the bench, which isnt his role either. Hence Lui gets the nod.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

TongueFTW wrote: March 13, 2019, 8:04 am
LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 13, 2019, 7:49 am Guler is a young forward. Every bit of a rookie still. Playing him back at Mounties to get fitness up isn't the end of the world or bad management.

Not sure I agree. You have players like Cameron Murray and Victor Radley playing starting roles for their clubs, I don't think Guler is too far behind them in terms of talent. We have plenty of experience with Whitehead, Soliola, and Papalii - you could bring Soliola off the bench and start with Guler if worried about experience on the bench.

Murray has 33 games , Radley 28 , Guler 3 . There is a gulf difference in experience.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Guler isn't at that talent level. He needs to improve his defense and mobility to play firsts regularly. I think he will be a solid front rower but it will be a slower process than someone like Vaughan.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Re: the discussion on Guler above - I am unsure why he is playing Mounties this week either but the simple fact is he is not quite as good as Horsburgh or Murchie as far as our young forwards go. The main concern would be JJ Collins leap-frogging him. Maybe Stuart feels he needs the big minutes in reserves more than limited or no minutes in First Grade?

And in regards to the comparisons to Cameron Murray and Victor Radley - those players have shown themselves to be future Rep players already in their short careers. I think both are legit stars myself. Guler has a way to go to get to that level, let's hope he does.

Also, I would not be surprised to see J. Bateman start on the bench with Lui or Horsburgh starting on Game Day (only due to lack of trial time)
Last edited by Wiki Special on March 13, 2019, 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't think you have to take the extended squad as a pecking order. Garvey was regularly named there last year and was no chance of ever of playing firsts.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

edwahu wrote: March 13, 2019, 8:27 am

Guler isn't at that talent level. He needs to improve his defense and mobility to play firsts regularly. I think he will be a solid front rower but it will be a slower process than someone like Vaughan.
From what I've seen so far- I agree. Guler has not yet displayed any of the dynamic, explosive qualities Vaughan did. He may have them, but I haven't seen more than solid from him yet.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I have no problem with Lui being named, he and Soliola were easily our best two up front last season. In fact, I was a bit worried that he was going to miss out!

All the other selections I'm happy with too... Guler will get his shot. Bring on Round 1.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I'm the same. A month or so ago I talked about perhaps holding Sia back to the bench to lead the younger forwards but considering the Titans starting pack and J Bateman being somewhat on the smaller size, I think Ricky has gone with the best option. Lui was good last year and I think he can come on with the other big middles and do the job. I'm comfortable with what has been selected.

There has been a lot of talk about how Ricky will use the bench. It may be humid but I think with our pack being smaller this year we don't need to make excessive changes just for the sake of it. Considering our starting backrow can all play middle or edge, the coaching may be trying to get rotation there with our best players. If we do this right, I back Papa and Sia only to need short spells and we get short but intense burst by Horsburgh in particular. Having said that for all the talk about 'plans', I think Ricky needs to respond to the game.

Looking at the 2 packs and thinking about the fact the Titans pack has the potential to win the field position battle over most teams with their starting 6 I think we need results from our kicking and kick chase in particular. I think if we lose the middle and the kicking battle with Taylor then we won't win the game. If we can compete in those areas I think our outside backs and Hodgson's creativity can get us home.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Wiki Special wrote: March 13, 2019, 8:35 am Re: the discussion on Guler above - I am unsure why he is playing Mounties this week either but the simple fact is he is not quite as good as Horsburgh or Murchie as far as our young forwards go. The main concern would be JJ Collins leap-frogging him. Maybe Stuart feels he needs the big minutes in reserves more than limited or no minutes in First Grade?

And in regards to the comparisons to Cameron Murray and Victor Radley - those players have shown themselves to be future Rep players already in their short careers. I think both are legit stars myself. Guler has a way to go to get to that level, let's hope he does.

Also, I would not be surprised to see J. Bateman start on the bench with Lui or Horsburgh starting on Game Day (only due to lack of trial time)
I'd say that's it. A proper game. If he traveled he'd be getting zero minutes.

We've got him wrapped up for 2021. There's no need to worry about him being down the pecking order or moving on.
If any player was in danger of being "another TPJ" it was Horsburgh and he's got a spot. Now we just need to make sure we re-sign him.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I agree. Lui was probably close to our best prop last year and one of the few forwards to take extra hit ups when the going was tough.

He’s also OK at knowing when to get off the tackle before giving a penalty away (something Luke Bateman needs to learn).

Guler will get his opportunity, especially if he performs well for Mounties.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

VIDEO: Debutants jersey presentation

The Canberra Raiders held a special jersey presentation for their latest debutants ahead of Sunday's clash against the Gold Coast Titans on Sunday. Thanks to Raider #229 Troy Thompson and Raider #242 Terry Campese for presenting the players with their jersey.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... edium=feed
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Sutton's bigger than he looks on the field. Great to see them all so happy.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I like these occasions where our new boys get presented the jersey.

Thommo mate...looking great.

And Campo mate..still wearing yr hat backwards..good for you !!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

That was awesome to see, congratulations to all 5 of them!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii ready for forwards battle

Raiders Prop Josh Papalii is aware that the Raiders face a giant forward pack against the Titans on Sunday however the Queensland Maroons representative is confident the green machine's new-look pack will step up to the task.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... ds-battle/

Game Day Guide: Raiders v Titans: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... -v-titans/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Jarrod Croker and Dean Lance: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/03 ... ean-lance/
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Horsburgh will join a fairly exclusive club of Raiders Rangas if he gets a run. There is obviously Toungy but beyond that I have to go back to John McLeod as a strawberry blonde in 82’. Who am I missing? Who else has broken the golden rule of fashion and combined red and green without a colour in between??
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Billy Walker wrote:Horsburgh will join a fairly exclusive club of Raiders Rangas if he gets a run. There is obviously Toungy but beyond that I have to go back to John McLeod as a strawberry blonde in 82’. Who am I missing? Who else has broken the golden rule of fashion and combined red and green without a colour in between??
Joel Edwards was in the team for a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: March 13, 2019, 2:25 pm Horsburgh will join a fairly exclusive club of Raiders Rangas if he gets a run. There is obviously Toungy but beyond that I have to go back to John McLeod as a strawberry blonde in 82’. Who am I missing? Who else has broken the golden rule of fashion and combined red and green without a colour in between??
How on EARTH do you forget Joel Monaghan or Joel Edwards??