Rapana to miss six months with shoulder injury

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Rapana to miss six months with shoulder injury

Post by RedRaider »

I'd just like to see us in the contest for him NR. It is very quiet around Robert Jennings so we may still be a chance with the right offer. I was very impressed with his form last season. He is mainly a winger but also I understand a center. With Rapa unavailable for the first half of the season we have an opportunity at a quality FG outside back. At the moment it would be Oldfield to get Rapa's spot until he recovers. If there is a single injury we are back to the likes of Brad 'celery stick' Abbey. I don't know that Jennings would break the bank to get him here either.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

RedRaider wrote: November 18, 2018, 2:30 pm I'd just like to see us in the contest for him NR. It is very quiet around Robert Jennings so we may still be a chance with the right offer. I was very impressed with his form last season. He is mainly a winger but also I understand a center. With Rapa unavailable for the first half of the season we have an opportunity at a quality FG outside back. At the moment it would be Oldfield to get Rapa's spot until he recovers. If there is a single injury we are back to the likes of Brad 'celery stick' Abbey. I don't know that Jennings would break the bank to get him here either.
Red, come round and drink my beer..

Relax..

#wearescrewed
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The club doesn't compete for players anymore, Don has given up. We will hope someone gets offered to us to free up cash for another club to sign a better player.

Someone like Kahu on a overs 2 year deal would be a possibility.
Last edited by edwahu on November 18, 2018, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I have some VB in the fridge and after I've chased the lawn mower I will be onto them. I'll have a hard earned thirst by then, PJ.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

RedRaider wrote: November 18, 2018, 2:48 pm I have some VB in the fridge and after I've chased the lawn mower I will be onto them. I'll have a hard earned thirst by then, PJ.
Well..you lost me at VB.

We are done... :thumbsdown
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

RedRaider wrote: November 18, 2018, 2:30 pm I'd just like to see us in the contest for him NR. It is very quiet around Robert Jennings so we may still be a chance with the right offer. I was very impressed with his form last season. He is mainly a winger but also I understand a center. With Rapa unavailable for the first half of the season we have an opportunity at a quality FG outside back. At the moment it would be Oldfield to get Rapa's spot until he recovers. If there is a single injury we are back to the likes of Brad 'celery stick' Abbey. I don't know that Jennings would break the bank to get him here either.
My point is I don't believe there is a contest to be involved in. If he was on the market then we (the public) would be hearing all about it. The silence tells me a deal is all but done with him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-PJ- wrote: November 18, 2018, 2:59 pm
RedRaider wrote: November 18, 2018, 2:48 pm I have some VB in the fridge and after I've chased the lawn mower I will be onto them. I'll have a hard earned thirst by then, PJ.
Well..you lost me at VB.

You can't look like I do without drinking VB, PJ. Think stubbie shape. It puts lead in your pencil and sharpens it.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

-PJ- wrote: November 18, 2018, 2:59 pm
Well..you lost me at VB.

Ill drink VB but holy sheet, its way down the order.

May even drink light before VB... or water
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders submit Jordan Rapana salary cap relief request to NRL

The Canberra Raiders will look to open contract talks with New Zealand international Jordan Rapana when he starts rehabilitation on his reconstructed shoulder. They lodged an application for salary cap relief for the star winger with the NRL on Monday. The New Zealand medical team's handling of his injuries has raised Raiders eyebrows, with him expected to out of action until round 11-14.

"We'll sit down with him once he gets back into rehab. He's certainly one that we want to lock away," Don Furner said."We've still plenty of time, but he wants to stay and we want him to stay. We'll get cracking on that."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 4zyyc.html

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7ecacc89db
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Crack on Don..
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Still seems ridiculous they count the offseason for the compensation but not the injuries.

Really this is probably 100k max for Rapana and wouldn't even be a minimum wage player for someone like Hingano.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:Still seems ridiculous they count the offseason for the compensation but not the injuries.

Really this is probably 100k max for Rapana and wouldn't even be a minimum wage player for someone like Hingano.
Yep just more inept rule making from the NRL. Count off season at 33% of in season weeks and it’s a better system already.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL give Canberra Raiders green light for Rapana cap relief... but it is scant relief

The NRL has given the Canberra Raiders some festive cheer with the lime green light to have salary cap relief to help cover the loss of star winger Jordan Rapana. The Raiders will have a portion of $350,000, probably up to half, to help find another winger to bring into the squad as cover.

"Our agreement with them is if we're talking to a player we'll let them know," Raiders chief executive Don Furner said. "It's got to be positional, like for like - 'This guy plays fullback/winger and Rapana plays fullback/winger, is that OK?' Generally speaking it would."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50nz1.html
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Dufty thanks
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

All this tells me is how horribly underpaid Rapana is.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

nacho wrote: December 28, 2018, 6:53 pm All this tells me is how horribly underpaid Rapana is.
I think the 350k might be the max value you can claim against, not his salary.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

edwahu wrote:
nacho wrote: December 28, 2018, 6:53 pm All this tells me is how horribly underpaid Rapana is.
Yep the full amount is for a million dollar player, suggesting Rapana is on about half that. Which seems about par for his position, skills and experience.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

edwahu wrote: December 28, 2018, 7:21 pm
Fair enough.

He contributes far more than some of our squad on 1.5x, 2.0x as much is all I guess I'm whinging about.

He fights on every hit-up, makes hard yards, is a finisher, he's quality. His "worth" to our team is well over $500k imo
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: December 28, 2018, 7:46 pm
edwahu wrote:
Yep the full amount is for a million dollar player, suggesting Rapana is on about half that. Which seems about par for his position, skills and experience.
It is about as clear as mud how it works...

"Injured players have to miss a minimum of 12 NRL matches and then clubs can get a pro-rata value of that player's contract up to a maximum of $350,000. That amount is calculated from a $1 million player missing 12 games.

If a top-30 roster spot is available for a club seeking salary cap relief, an injured player must be stood down for 12 regular season rounds to bring in a replacement.

He must be a like-for-like player and his contract value the same as the man he's replacing on a pro rata basis and not exceeding $350,000.

If a club does not have a top-30 spot available it can sign a replacement as a 31st squad member, but its injured player has to be ruled out for the rest of the season."

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-to ... 4zgus.html
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

So reading that, Rapanas replacement just takes the spot number 30 in our squad? I guess it gets you an upgraded player number 30 at least. I wonder what happens at June 30 though once Rapana is back?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

[
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

{
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

!
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Nrl.com

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Ennis just gave a hint that he will be back in a month or two

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 6, 2019, 7:15 pm Ennis just gave a hint that he will be back in a month or two

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I just jumped on to say the same thing.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I was surprised to hear he was playing in the golf pro am the other day. I know it is nothing like the contact of Rugby League but I wouldn’t think he would be allowed to play golf if he was still in rehab.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Presume he's been cleared by the doctor to do so... which is why he'll be back pretty soon, by the looks.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Also NRL.com the same day

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Looking forward to seeing Rapa back ASAP.

And a lengthy contract extension as well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana set to return early... in Round 8

Injured Raiders winger Jordan Rapana is targeting an early return to the field in round eight with his rehabilitation well ahead of schedule following shoulder surgery.

"I'm real happy with it, it's coming along well. It won't be miles ahead but I've got to convince the medical staff too. Mentally I'm in the right head space. I still have to get into contact and that's still down the track."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/23/cas ... jury-news/
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Bay53 wrote: March 6, 2019, 7:40 pm I was surprised to hear he was playing in the golf pro am the other day. I know it is nothing like the contact of Rugby League but I wouldn’t think he would be allowed to play golf if he was still in rehab.
He was playing golf for most of the summer.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

It would be great to get him back ASAP but this is one where Ricky and the medical staff have to be cautious. Rapana seems like the type of player desperate to get back out there and play, his opinion probably won't be the best one.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Woodgers wrote: March 7, 2019, 8:47 am It would be great to get him back ASAP but this is one where Ricky and the medical staff have to be cautious. Rapana seems like the type of player desperate to get back out there and play, his opinion probably won't be the best one.
This is a bloke who fractured his skull and played on. Therefore I have to concur- leave it to the experts.

That said our medical team for the last 5 years have been excellent- # weeks out for soft tissue are way down on what they used to be and they've had SO many players back early and more importantly - ready to play. And that is a good measure as soft tissue are by some measure preventable (fatigue/niggle related).

Friends with a guy who used to work with their junior teams recently and was offered spot with the senior team but he was moving to Sydney instead. He says they are top drawer now.