Rugby League 2019

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Rugby League 2019

Post by Northern Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 5, 2019, 11:36 am This reminds me of cricket when I was a kid. Retire on 25 was the rule. I remember hitting 25 in about 10 balls once, while some battler could bat 40 or 50 balls to score 10. It doesn't make any logicial sense.
I'm sure your runs would have dried up once they put a deep 3rd man in. :D
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kangaroos to play Tonga in Test triple-header at Eden Park as Oceania Cup launched

The Kangaroos will play Mate Ma'a Tonga in a triple-header at Auckland's iconic Eden Park as part of the inaugural RLIF Oceania Cup to run side by side with the first tour by the Wayne Bennett-coached Great Britain Lions since 2006.

2019 international rugby league schedule
June 22: Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland
NZ v Tonga (Oceania Cup Pool A)
Kiwi Ferns v TBC

June 22: Campbelltown Stadium, Sydney
Samoa v PNG (Oceania Cup Pool B)
Fiji v Cook Islands

October 25: WIN Stadium, Wollongong
Australia v NZ (Oceania Cup Pool B)
Jillaroos v Kiwi Ferns

October 26: Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
Tonga v Great Britain (Lions tour)

November 2: Eden Park, Auckland
NZ v Great Britain (Lions tour)
Australia v Tonga (Oceania Cup Pool A)
Samoa v Fiji (Oceania Cup Pool B)

November 9: Christchurch Stadium
NZ v Great Britain (Lions tour)
Fiji v PNG (Oceania Cup Pool B)

November 16: National Football Stadium, Port Moresby
PNG Kumuls v Great Britain (Lions tour)
PNG Orchids v Pacific All Stars

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/05/way ... emisphere/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hold the outrage: NRL wildcard could prove the boost your team needs

If you are a fan of the Wests Tigers or Canberra Raiders, you might want to rethink your immediate objection to the ‘watering down’ of the competition by potentially expanding the finals series to include a wildcard weekend involving teams finishing ninth and 10th.

While this new proposal could be construed as rewarding average teams, it might also be a vehicle to help the perennial mid-table sides like Canberra and the Tigers move on from the treadmill.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 511t1.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Personally, I don't think the Raiders merited a shot at the finals in any of the years mentioned.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Hold the outrage: NRL wildcard could prove the boost your team needs

If you are a fan of the Wests Tigers or Canberra Raiders, you might want to rethink your immediate objection to the ‘watering down’ of the competition by potentially expanding the finals series to include a wildcard weekend involving teams finishing ninth and 10th.

While this new proposal could be construed as rewarding average teams, it might also be a vehicle to help the perennial mid-table sides like Canberra and the Tigers move on from the treadmill.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 511t1.html
Suggests this proposal will develop a 'winning mentality' when the exact opposite is what it will actually do. It rewards mediocrity. The media seems to be in overdrive trying to convince the public that this is a good idea. It's a **** idea.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'll wait to see if our coach likes it before I comment any further. Sticky knows what's best for the game.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Wildcard, Current Finals System, McIntyre 8, it's still the same 3 teams making the Grand Final all the time
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: March 5, 2019, 3:41 pm Wildcard, Current Finals System, McIntyre 8, it's still the same 3 teams making the Grand Final all the time
Considering we've had seven different teams in the last five years, I'm not sure how you say that...
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: March 5, 2019, 3:48 pm
Sid wrote: March 5, 2019, 3:41 pm Wildcard, Current Finals System, McIntyre 8, it's still the same 3 teams making the Grand Final all the time
Considering we've had seven different teams in the last five years, I'm not sure how you say that...
4 out of 21 Grand Finals in the NRL Era haven't had at least one of Roosters, Storm or Broncos in it, but that's a different topic.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: March 5, 2019, 4:02 pm
4 out of 21 Grand Finals in the NRL Era haven't had at least one of Roosters, Storm or Broncos in it, but that's a different topic.
Yeah, but that's heavily weighted to the Melbourne Storm... if you take the Storm out of the equation, it shoots up to 11 out of 21.

Are you saying the system in place is weighted heavily to advantage the Storm?? Surely you can just acknowledge they're a good club with good systems in place??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Because... the same three teams keep making the Grand Final in the NRL era. In the 21 Grand Finals, at least one of the Roosters, Storm or Broncos have appeared in 17 of them.

Grand Final appearances
Melbourne Storm 9
Sydney Roosters 7
Brisbane Broncos 4
Manly Sea Eagles 4
Canterbury Bulldogs 4

Premierships
Melbourne Storm 5, with two stripped
Sydney Roosters 3
Brisbane Broncos 3

Minor premierships
Melbourne Storm 6, with three stripped
Sydney Roosters 5
Brisbane Broncos 2
St George Illawarra Dragons 2
Parramatta Eels 2
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, in the last 21 years the Broncos have only played in three grand finals, so I'm not even sure why you're including them. Manly have played in just as many!!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 5, 2019, 4:13 pm
Because... the same three teams keep making the Grand Final in the NRL era. In the 21 Grand Finals, at least one of the Roosters, Storm or Broncos have appeared in 17 of them.

Grand Final appearances
Melbourne Storm 9
Sydney Roosters 7
Brisbane Broncos 4
Manly Sea Eagles 4
Canterbury Bulldogs 4

Premierships
Melbourne Storm 5, with two stripped
Sydney Roosters 3
Brisbane Broncos 3

Minor premierships
Melbourne Storm 6, with three stripped
Sydney Roosters 5
Brisbane Broncos 2
St George Illawarra Dragons 2
Parramatta Eels 2
Why do you guys keep mentioning the Broncos when Manly and Canterbury have made just as many grand finals in that period??
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: March 5, 2019, 4:14 pm Also, in the last 21 years the Broncos have only played in three grand finals, so I'm not even sure why you're including them. Manly have played in just as many!!
Thats a pretty **** return given their privileged position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I was transparent in reporting all the figures. But they're included as the NRL favours the Brisbane Broncos in many ways... monopoly over Brisbane, initially demanded by the Broncos, but which has lasted over 20 years. TPA rules (salary cap loopholes) which favour clubs like the Roosters, Broncos and Storm. FTA TV coverage which favours the Broncos and their sponsorships. How's that for a start!
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

As with the AFL sports administrators in this country failing again trying to replicate American sports whilst trying for a money grab.
WorkChoice
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Just seems like a stretch for you guys to include Brisbane while you say three teams have dominated the grand finals in the last few decades yet you conveniently leave out two clubs that have been there just as many times as the Broncos.

Would seem more accurate to say two clubs have dominated the grand finals in the last few decades, but I'm sure you'd find that in any sport really...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Storm and the Roosters have played in 15 of the last 21 grand finals, that's pretty impressive.

Brisbane don't rate a mention.
BJ
Steve Walters

Rugby League 2019

Post by BJ »

The Rickman wrote:Storm and the Roosters have played in 15 of the last 21 grand finals, that's pretty impressive.

Brisbane don't rate a mention.
It’s a good point you make. I think just two teams playing in about three quarters of all grand finals is a pretty big anomaly. Especially in a code with a salary cap to spread talent around.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: March 5, 2019, 4:13 pm
Sid wrote: March 5, 2019, 4:02 pm
Yeah, but that's heavily weighted to the Melbourne Storm... if you take the Storm out of the equation, it shoots up to 11 out of 21.

Are you saying the system in place is weighted heavily to advantage the Storm?? Surely you can just acknowledge they're a good club with good systems in place??
I was moreso suggesting it seems a bit silly to create a gimmick that will put a lot of media focus on the teams who are 9th,10th,11th coming into finals about whether they are going to make it to Wild Card Weekend when they're very unlikely (or deserved) to be premiership relevant.

I would also prefer to see the Top 6 Finals System only system that you suggested before seeing a wild card weekend

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Ahhh, I see, a thousand apologies, Sid.

Still, it gave Fergus a chance to complain largely about how UNFAIR it is that Broncos keep winning everything!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, while we're on the topic, in the AFL 15 of the last 16 grand finals have had the same 5 teams in them: Hawthorn, Sydney, Brisbane, Collingwood or Geelong.

The grand final that didn't?? Last year... Richmond vs Adelaide!!
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: March 5, 2019, 5:07 pm Ahhh, I see, a thousand apologies, Sid.

Still, it gave Fergus a chance to complain largely about how UNFAIR it is that Broncos keep winning everything!
The reason I mentioned them as well was because they were the 3 teams mentioned for this stat in an article some time back so it stuck in my mind. Filtering it down to just Storm and Roosters playing 15 of the 21 does amplify it more

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Just highlights to me that they've been the standout teams of the last two decades, and in all honesty, they've had the best coaches and systems.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: March 5, 2019, 5:22 pm Just highlights to me that they've been the standout teams of the last two decades, and in all honesty, they've had the best coaches and systems.
What do you mean?! Roosters only had Rick in 2002! Are you off the Rick Train?! :nooo

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: March 5, 2019, 5:25 pm
The Rickman wrote: March 5, 2019, 5:22 pm Just highlights to me that they've been the standout teams of the last two decades, and in all honesty, they've had the best coaches and systems.
What do you mean?! Roosters only had Rick in 2002! Are you off the Rick Train?! :nooo
Rick started the whole thing! They'd be nobodies without him!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: March 5, 2019, 5:07 pm Ahhh, I see, a thousand apologies, Sid.

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has now come out saying that the NRL competition is not as even as the NRL claims, and suggests that this is not the way to... rather changes are needed on the commercial side of the game to make the competition more even: viewtopic.php?p=1641369#p1641366

Well done Ricky, pointing out the obvious! And a good call!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Rickman wrote:Also, while we're on the topic, in the AFL 15 of the last 16 grand finals have had the same 5 teams in them: Hawthorn, Sydney, Brisbane, Collingwood or Geelong.

It’s 2019 Rickman
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
The Rickman wrote:Also, while we're on the topic, in the AFL 15 of the last 16 grand finals have had the same 5 teams in them: Hawthorn, Sydney, Brisbane, Collingwood or Geelong.

It’s 2019 Rickman
Classic Rickman.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gangrenous wrote: March 5, 2019, 9:42 pm

It’s 2019 Rickman
Oh dear. He's lost an entire year. :woot:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well last year was West Coast vs Collingwood, so just highlights my point even further
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

16 of the last 17 years have had one of 5 teams in the grand final... OH MY GODZ THE AFL SYSTEM IS BROKE!!!111!!1!!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart believes that the competition is not as even as the NRL claims... and the commercial arrangements of the NRL are contributing to that. And I fully support his view on that.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Of course you do.

That's why you shoehorned the Broncos into your argument to support your claim.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Rickman wrote: March 6, 2019, 11:56 am Of course you do.

That's why you shoehorned the Broncos into your argument to support your claim.
I didn't dream up the statistic. Roy Masters has more than once pointed it out in his columns, which have highlighted exactly the same point.