All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

Post by Northern Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 4, 2019, 12:39 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2019, 10:03 am Normally you would say its too late in Wighton's career to be 'developing' as he's been around for ages. Thing is he's only just turned 26 and still has plenty of years ahead. Same age Lockyer switched to 5/8 I believe.

Question is how long do you give him? Lockyer was an instant success, which came as no real surprise.
Lockyer was recognised as a top 3 player in the game at the stage of his move, with a heap of rep experience already. Wighton would be somewhere around the top 70 or 80 I'd imagine.

Wighton has really only had 2017 and 2018 when he wasn't in development mode, and he had a shocking first half of 2017. He's up there with Jarred Mullen as one of the worst returns on investment in recent years. Hopefully this is the making of him.
Yeah, my Lockyer comparison was only because he's similar age when making the transition. I'm not in any way suggesting he's in the same class. More the point that he's got plenty of time to make a good fist of the no6 jersey.

Edit: I should add that I think Wighton needs to be better at 5/8 than he was at fullback. First half of 2018 was about the only time I feel he played consistently as a quality NRL fullback and even then would still not make the top 10 among his peers. We already know we cannot compete if both our halves in in the bottom tier of NRL starters.
Last edited by Northern Raider on March 4, 2019, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Coastalraider wrote: March 4, 2019, 11:55 am
hrundi89 wrote: March 4, 2019, 11:45 am Sezer's a confidence player. Handing him the 7 and telling him it's his and being patient with it will give him some.
And after a couple of rounds when he realises the mediocrity of the last 3 years was not an anomaly, that confidence will be taken away again.
Wow, thats unbelievably harsh.

.....I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong either. I'll wait for those first couple of rounds before I jump off the fence. :D
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2019, 1:15 pm
Yeah, my Lockyer comparison was only because he's similar age when making the transition. I'm not in any way suggesting he's in the same class. More the point that he's got plenty of time to make a good fist of the no6 jersey.

Edit: I should add that I think Wighton needs to be better at 5/8 than he was at fullback. First half of 2018 was about the only time I feel he played consistently as a quality NRL fullback and even then would still not make the top 10 among his peers. We already know we cannot compete if both our halves in in the bottom tier of NRL starters.
DO you mean he isn't top 10 of all players in the NRL or the top 10 fullbacks for the first half 2018? Because he was easily a top 5 fullback. Probably even top 3 in that period.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: March 4, 2019, 1:52 pm

DO you mean he isn't top 10 of all players in the NRL or the top 10 fullbacks for the first half 2018? Because he was easily a top 5 fullback. Probably even top 3 in that period.
I was saying top 10 fullbacks. Putting him top 3 or 5 is starting to sound like a Matt's Matchups doozy. I'm interested to hear your fullback rankings for 2018.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2019, 2:01 pm

I was saying top 10 fullbacks. Putting him top 3 or 5 is starting to sound like a Matt's Matchups doozy. I'm interested to hear your fullback rankings for 2018.
You say he wouldn't make the top 10 among his peers? Assuming, Teddy, RTS, Slater, Turbo and Ponga are the top 5

What 5 other fullbacks do you think were better in 2018 than Jack?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton's statistics in the first half of the season certainly put him up amongst the top fullbacks: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33002 There were some relative weaknesses compared to his fullback peers, but even on those aspects he was definitely top 10.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'm interested to know everyone on the GH's opinion on who the 13th best fullback was in the NRL last season.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The Rickman wrote: March 4, 2019, 4:09 pm I'm interested to know everyone on the GH's opinion on who the 13th best fullback was in the NRL last season.
Moses Mbye
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Green eyed Mick wrote: March 4, 2019, 4:05 pm

You say he wouldn't make the top 10 among his peers? Assuming, Teddy, RTS, Slater, Turbo and Ponga are the top 5

Val Holmes definitely. Darius is polarising but only Raiders fans would rank him behind Jack. Alex Johnston is another (Inglis was playing centre). A swag of others where it gets very subjective. Dufty was in red hot form at the time but he fell away dramatically 2nd half of the season.

Here is some independent rankings at the time Jack's season ended.
https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... iqqcgu7h01
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, but who do you have at 13th, NR??
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: March 4, 2019, 4:29 pm Yeah, but who do you have at 13th, NR??
Over the whole season or the 1st half of it?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

My post says for the period he played in 2018- he was deadly on that left edge. I don;t have access to the stats anymore but his try assists and lb assists were top drawer (top 3 f not best) among fullbacks first half of the season, we know how good his defence is. He was middle of the road for kick return metres. Overall, he was a top FB that year. Mistakes were low too.

EDIT: I see someone did dig them up. Thanks
Last edited by BadnMean on March 4, 2019, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2019, 4:16 pm

Val Holmes definitely. Darius is polarising but only Raiders fans would rank him behind Jack. Alex Johnston is another (Inglis was playing centre). A swag of others where it gets very subjective. Dufty was in red hot form at the time but he fell away dramatically 2nd half of the season.

They may be "independent" (I somehow doubt it), but that is not a high quality internet publication... and the rankings are based on no actual analysis whatsoever.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

The Rickman wrote: March 4, 2019, 4:29 pm Yeah, but who do you have at 13th, NR??
Yeah come on we need to hear from the "Experts" please walk us down the path to enlightenment.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: March 4, 2019, 4:36 pm

My post says for the period he played in 2018- he was deadly on that left edge. I don;t have access to the stats anymore but his try assists and lb assists were top drawer (top 3 f not best) among fullbacks first half of the season, we know how good his defence is. He was middle of the road for kick return metres. Overall, he was a top FB that year. Mistakes were low too.

EDIT: I see someone did dig them up. Thanks
OK, so he's top 3-5 on selected stats. Doesn't mean he's top 3-5 in the NRL for his position.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: March 4, 2019, 4:36 pm

They may be "independent" (I somehow doubt it), but that is not a high quality internet publication... and the rankings are based on no actual analysis whatsoever.
Make of it what you will. If don't agree the info provided I'm happy to be directed to a "high quality internet publication" that ranks Jack in the top 10 NRL fullbacks. I'm only after independent assessment here. Not the purely the opinion of Raiders fans.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

On last year's form, that's what the stats show. He was in the top 3-5.

Sporting News is the home of The Lurker. It usually contains a whole lot of rubbish. I don't need them to tell me how to look at the actual numbers.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’d have put Jack about 5-8th best fullback last year. Slater, Tedesco and RTS were well ahead of the field.

Noting Holmes and Travoavich (sp) were very good for long periods of the season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

To be clear, there's no getting around the fact that Jack Wighton only played half the season as well in 2018. I certainly took that into account in the season review.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: March 4, 2019, 5:02 pm On last year's form, that's what the stats show. He was in the top 3-5.

Sporting News is the home of The Lurker. It usually contains a whole lot of rubbish. I don't need them to tell me how to look at the actual numbers.
So give me your to 10 in order?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

RTS, Ponga, Slater, Tedesco, Trboyevic, Holmes then you have Jack and a few others. He might have been included in the top tier if not for suspension.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

gergreg wrote: March 4, 2019, 7:14 pm RTS, Ponga, Slater, Tedesco, Trboyevic, Holmes then you have Jack and a few others. He might have been included in the top tier if not for suspension.

That’s fair. I’d definitely have him between those listed and the others myself.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Holmes and Boyd maybe but there is no way Dufty or Johnston are better fullbacks than Wighton.

All four of those players also have much better forwards and halves to play alongside.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Thing is everybody here views it through green goggles. All I'd like to see is somebody who's not a Raiders fan publicly rate Jack in the top 10 fullbacks.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2019, 9:39 pm Thing is everybody here views it through green goggles. All I'd like to see is somebody who's not a Raiders fan publicly rate Jack in the top 10 fullbacks.
Theyd have to watch us play first
Dont delete this GE
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Northern Raider wrote: March 4, 2019, 9:39 pm Thing is everybody here views it through green goggles. All I'd like to see is somebody who's not a Raiders fan publicly rate Jack in the top 10 fullbacks.
With Jack I think it's the opposite. Non Raiders fans remember him for his big televised errors like the Dragons game to the point that he is a meme. Those fans can't accept that he might have played as well as he did last year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Either way I guess the most frustrating thing is he was really starting to gel with the fullback position then ruined it with his drunken rampage. Now he's shifted to 5/8 its all in the past. For us to do any good he will need to get the handle on his new position a lot faster than the previous one.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Green eyed Mick wrote: March 4, 2019, 7:26 pm

Holmes and Boyd maybe but there is no way Dufty or Johnston are better fullbacks than Wighton.

All four of those players also have much better forwards and halves to play alongside.
That's one of the biggest issues that it is hard to gauge when you are running behind a tired team.Look at Tedescos efforts when he was playing behind a out of sorts Tigers team he did nothing and looked average at best, hell you could even say he virtually gave up because he didn't get his own way and that is one area I would rate Jack above him straight off he has never spat the dummy with the team or his teammates and always puts in an honest effort no matter what.

Then you put Tedesco behind the Roosters or NSW he comes out and puts in an effort because the conditions suit him and I must admit he played really well in the NSW team but look at the players he had in front of him.He has also played in that position most of his career where as Jack has never been a fullback in his so for him to reach even the lower ranking which you grant him in a competition as hard as the NRL is a quite and achievement in my view.

I would like to see someone like Tedesco or the other top rated fullbacks get thrown to the wing for a while then get their defence and attack tested at center both left and right then maybe throw a game in at second row for the IAS then have a go at 5/8 because the club needs you too and still come out smiling.

As an allround footballer Jack leaves most on ""THE LIST" :doubt: well behind.

For what its worth (and I can cop its not worth anything many on here can not) my top pick of the fullbacks over the last few seasons would probably be Val Holmes and that's with the Green goggles on.He would have to be or was the most natural attacker in that position out of all of them in my humble opinion.

Ps I don't understand why someone would not at least have a tinge of Green in their goggles why bother following a team that you don't like?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Keghead wrote: March 5, 2019, 8:27 am That's one of the biggest issues that it is hard to gauge when you are running behind a tired team.Look at Tedescos efforts when he was playing behind a out of sorts Tigers team he did nothing and looked average at best...
That's the spice we want from Keggy!
Hit em again!!
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

PigRickman wrote: March 5, 2019, 8:37 am
Keghead wrote: March 5, 2019, 8:27 am That's one of the biggest issues that it is hard to gauge when you are running behind a tired team.Look at Tedescos efforts when he was playing behind a out of sorts Tigers team he did nothing and looked average at best...
Hit em again!!
Keghead is a man of the people. I can’t get enough.

He’s welcome in the Rick-clique if he’s willing to change his username to Rickhead
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

What you said about Tedesco was very close to the money... A lot of us are guilty of short memories once these players make rep. I’m not sure Tedesco was quite as mediocre at the Tigers as you see him - the talent was always there.

But you’re right, it’s as much about opportunity as it is talent. And unfortunately for the Raiders, our guys don’t always have the luxury of playing in teams that give lots of opportunities to shine, or luxury of playing from in front. Certainly nothing like what the roosters have had the past few years since Tedesco went there!
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Rickmando wrote: March 5, 2019, 8:58 am
Hit em again!!

He’s welcome in the Rick-clique if he’s willing to change his username to Rickhead
Thats a bit harsh... Kegman any good??

I'm in contact with the upper level management as we speak :lol:
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Keghead wrote: March 5, 2019, 9:05 am
Rickmando wrote: March 5, 2019, 8:58 am
Hit em again!!

Thats a bit harsh... Kegman any good??

I'm in contact with the upper level management as we speak :lol:
Haha, it’s not quite what you think it means... this is about the cult of the Great Man, our HC!

KegRick would probably be acceptable :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Tedesco singlehandedly kept the Tigers in most games. His output at the Tigers far exceeds anything he has done at the Roosters - as far as contributions to the team.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

gergreg wrote: March 5, 2019, 10:07 am Tedesco singlehandedly kept the Tigers in most games. His output at the Tigers far exceeds anything he has done at the Roosters - as far as contributions to the team.

No, he stunk. Period.
Dont delete this GE