Rugby League 2019

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Rugby League 2019

Post by greeneyed »

NRL proposes Wildcard Weekend to revamp finals

NRL clubs and broadcasters have been briefed on a proposal to introduce a "Wildcard Weekend" as part of a new finals system that could be introduced as soon as next year.

Under the concept, which was outlined by NRL head of elite football operation Graham Annesley to club CEOs on Monday, the teams finishing ninth and 10th at the end of the regular season would be given a chance to qualify for the finals by beating the seventh and eighth ranked teams.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/04/nrl ... ls-format/

Pros and cons of NRL's proposed finals revamp: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/04/pro ... em-revamp/
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Honestly....
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So effectively we now have 10 teams playing finals out of the 16.

That's ridiculous....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

This is to help Ricky.

We've finished 10th two years straight.

10th place = a chance to play finals.

I reckon we'll only need 9-10 wins..we got this..
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

These gimmicks cheapen the regular season.

This is the exact opposite of what the NRL should be doing to make the season more interesting and exciting.

If they want to improve the competition, put in some effort to make the game more equitable and the game play more exciting.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

If the NRL introduce this..

We're finishing 11th !!!'
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

This is what happens when the NRL starts getting worried about Brisbane missing the finals
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The NRL is one of the only sporting organisations where you could say "that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard" every second week and it wouldn't be an (exponential) exaggeration. Who comes up with this nonsense?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

In breaking news the "Wildcard Weekend" will be played as a double header at Suncorp..
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Every child wins a prize!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Is this just a diversion to all the media covering the sex tapes.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

Raiders CEO Don Furner told the Herald: "It's a good idea, but we're certainly keen to explore it more."

😂😂😂
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:Is this just a diversion to all the media covering the sex tapes.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
More a segway. From a **** to a **** idea.

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The losing captains of the wildcard matches will then arm wrestle for 9th position.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Rugby League 2019

Post by Brewdle »

Kent isn’t a fan

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-p ... 8ea2ad6de8

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

That’s because Kent has shown in the past he has a brain, and people with a brain recognise a dumb idea when they see one.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: March 4, 2019, 6:41 pm NRL proposes Wildcard Weekend to revamp finals

NRL clubs and broadcasters have been briefed on a proposal to introduce a "Wildcard Weekend" as part of a new finals system that could be introduced as soon as next year.

Under the concept, which was outlined by NRL head of elite football operation Graham Annesley to club CEOs on Monday, the teams finishing ninth and 10th at the end of the regular season would be given a chance to qualify for the finals by beating the seventh and eighth ranked teams.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/04/nrl ... ls-format/

Pros and cons of NRL's proposed finals revamp: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/04/pro ... em-revamp/
What a complete bucket of stupid.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Can't wait for the team who finishes 6 points out of the 8 in 10th who knocks off 7th and qualifies

What a **** idea
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-TW- wrote:Can't wait for the team who finishes 6 points out of the 8 in 10th who knocks off 7th and qualifies

What a **** idea
Even worse if they go on to win the GF
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Such a putrid idea. The thought that we could have played finals last year having the kind of season we did tells you everything you need to know. They can't seriously be considering this.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Over the past 5 years or so the team finishing 10th has won 10 or 11 games and lost 14 or 13. I think there was one year which wasn't as bad but how can any side that only wins 10 games deserve a crack at the title.
This is as stupid as it gets. But knowing the NRL they'll probably do it even though most fans think it's a dumb idea. Some crappy team finishing 10th will win the 'wildcard' game against one of the glamour clubs - possibly on the back of a contentious call and then it will be reviewed and scrapped.

edwahu

Post by edwahu »

-TW- wrote: March 4, 2019, 9:56 pm Can't wait for the team who finishes 6 points out of the 8 in 10th who knocks off 7th and qualifies

What a **** idea
Off the back of massive ref blunder in the wildcard game.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Let's just cut the chase and make it 16 now.
WorkChoice
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I don't have stats in front of me, but doesn't any team outside the top 4 hardly ever win the premiership?
Also 8th has never won it so now we want to drag 9th and 10th into the finals too?

I hate the idea, it's gimmicky and takes away from regular season games. There's so many other fundamental areas in the game that need to be looked at before this.

I hope it is just a ploy to distract from the sex tapes.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

They should make it 7 teams with a wildcard spot for the team out of the rest that has the least players feature in scandals.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: March 4, 2019, 9:56 pm Can't wait for the team who finishes 6 points out of the 8 in 10th who knocks off 7th and qualifies

What a **** idea
It wouldn't have been far off that last year. Raiders (10th) would have played Dragons (7th) who were struggling for form. Real possibility the Raiders made it through to the finals. Fact is we had plenty of chances to make the top 8 and didn't.

This is a quote from the article: "The Wildcard Weekend system will benefit teams who are impacted by heavy injury tolls early in the season"

...or in Raiders situation it benefits a team that threw away games far too often. The concept is purely driven by TV ratings and $$. Trying to cram in even more games. I reckon it's ****.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Northern Raider wrote: March 5, 2019, 10:26 am

What a **** idea
It wouldn't have been far off that last year. Raiders (10th) would have played Dragons (7th) who were struggling for form. Real possibility the Raiders made it through to the finals. Fact is we had plenty of chances to make the top 8 and didn't.

This is a quote from the article: "The Wildcard Weekend system will benefit teams who are impacted by heavy injury tolls early in the season"

...or in Raiders situation it benefits a team that threw away games far too often. The concept is purely driven by TV ratings and $$. Trying to cram in even more games. I reckon it's ****.
God the lack of logic in that quote is telling.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

edwahu wrote: March 5, 2019, 10:29 am
Northern Raider wrote: March 5, 2019, 10:26 am

What a **** idea

God the lack of logic in that quote is telling.
yeah, I couldn't believe it actually made it into the press release. Surely somebody was vetting it and said "hey guys you should really drop this line. It's just plain stupid."
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I hate this idea. There's already too many teams in the finals with 50% qualifying. I'd honestly prefer something like a Top 6 with 1 and 2 getting the first week off.

NRL would never do that though, because in that system there's only five finals games (including the GF).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If you lose more games than you win you don’t deserve to be in the finals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 5, 2019, 11:07 am If you lose more games than you win you don’t deserve to be in the finals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You don't deserve to be in the finals with a 50-50 record either IMO.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Rugby League 2019

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’m convinced they’re trying to steal the old Fui system.

Week 1
1 v 6
3 v 8
2 v 7
4 v 5

Week 2
Team with the loudest supporters from 1 v 6 and 3 v 8 will play the team who made the best croquembouche between 2 v 7 and 4 v 5

Week 3
Winners from the prior week will square off to see who can do the best rendition of Run to Paradise, or who does the most impressive bathroom makeover, depending on draw

Week 4 - GF
9 v 14
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

This reminds me of cricket when I was a kid. Retire on 25 was the rule. I remember hitting 25 in about 10 balls once, while some battler could bat 40 or 50 balls to score 10. It doesn't make any logicial sense.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

We had 30, but you could come back if everyone else got out.

It was dumb
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The current model is producing a deserved winner most seasons. No reason to change. Silliest NRL suggestion since unlimited interchange.