Off topic

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Off topic

Post by bonehead »

Question wrote:**** mate thats enough to turn a man to drink.
good idea Q

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Sport and exercise catching up with me.
Back hurts like hell
Hips and FAI make life fun
Pinched my shoulder doing bench the other day, now I can barely lift a grocery bag
Knee pain

Bloody hell.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Yard is done!

Back feels like it’s been filled with concrete. Now to let it all grow and fill out
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Come up great Fui, sit back crack a cold one and enjoy.
This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah that was the first thing I did!
Now I just need some outdoor furniture to sit back and take it all in

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Hammock? Aldi had some good looking interchangeable OD furniture last week.
This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Looks great Fui. You may have to thin it out a bit but there'll be some natural attrition anyway. Just me but I think some sort of small native grass would look great interspersed with what you have. Would add a great contrast, but still looks good as is.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Two years ago today, my mum passed away.

I miss her.

RIP mum

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sorry to hear Dubs. Hope you’re ok

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gergreg wrote:Looks great Fui. You may have to thin it out a bit but there'll be some natural attrition anyway. Just me but I think some sort of small native grass would look great interspersed with what you have. Would add a great contrast, but still looks good as is.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
We were looking at some grasses, especially to fill in some gaps, but we were concerned about how far they spread. So we thought we’d wait until these plants grow out

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: February 24, 2019, 8:04 pm Two years ago today, my mum passed away.

I miss her.

RIP mum

Chin up dub, all the best to you and yours !!!'
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

dubby wrote:Two years ago today, my mum passed away.

I miss her.

RIP mum

:(

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

dubby wrote:Two years ago today, my mum passed away.

I miss her.

RIP mum

[/URL]
Sorry to hear that dubby Image
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

2 weeks since accepted an offer on my house, still waiting for the buyer to sign contract.
Have agreed price on 2 houses used one to hurry up the other but happy with both

Edrick The Entertainer
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

bonehead wrote:2 weeks since accepted an offer on my house, still waiting for the buyer to sign contract.
Have agreed price on 2 houses used one to hurry up the other but happy with both

Massive issues with financing at the monent....my real estate chum tells me that 40 out of 70 sales last year fell over on finance. Even when they get up, its slow.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Also, proud Dad moment. My young chap was picked for the Regional touch team today, and will be off to the state trials in April. He's the youngest in the team by more than a year, and is eligible at this level for two more years, so would have to be a red hot chance at some point of getting up.

Deeply chuffed for him.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

T_R wrote:Also, proud Dad moment. My young chap was picked for the Regional touch team today, and will be off to the state trials in April. He's the youngest in the team by more than a year, and is eligible at this level for two more years, so would have to be a red hot chance at some point of getting up.

Deeply chuffed for him.
that's really cool

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

That's really cool, TR.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I can't believe it's March already !!!

16 days till Titans.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:I can't believe it's March already !!!

16 days till Titans.
how's those feet big dog?

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: March 1, 2019, 6:37 am
-PJ- wrote:I can't believe it's March already !!!

16 days till Titans.
how's those feet big dog?

They're aching boney. I've swapped boots and it's a little better but still very sore.

Where's Scooby ?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just finished this American BBQ cooking class in Centennial Park. Was quite fun. Cooked up some Brisket, Pulled Pork and Pork ribs.

Can’t wait to fire up the charcoal bbq and have a crack next week

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I've just turned on my bar-b.

Steak, snags, onion and Mrs PJ is whipping up a salad...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

rorted at cleanup Aust Day, bbq nowhere in sight.
It appears my sticky profile pic isn't on this phone so I'm channeling S and H

Edrick The Entertainer
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Just finished this American BBQ cooking class in Centennial Park. Was quite fun. Cooked up some Brisket, Pulled Pork and Pork ribs.

I did the same class a couple of years back when I was first getting into it, it’s a good class.

What are you planning on having a crack at first?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Jason wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Just finished this American BBQ cooking class in Centennial Park. Was quite fun. Cooked up some Brisket, Pulled Pork and Pork ribs.

I did the same class a couple of years back when I was first getting into it, it’s a good class.

I’ve told Mrs Fui to have a think this week about what she wants for dinner next weekend. Probably looking at having a crack at pork ribs

Nickman's love of NSW
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Jason wrote:

I’ve told Mrs Fui to have a think this week about what she wants for dinner next weekend. Probably looking at having a crack at pork ribs
Probably a good one to start on, it’s not a long cook so you can get a good idea how your bbq holds temp. I read you the other thread got a combo Gas/Charcoal bbq, is that the chargriller from bunnings?

Go to Costco if your after a nice big slab of ribs, If you need any pointers just ask.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I got the Char-Griller from Bunnings. I’ve been holding out until this course to use the charcoal, just so I can understand the process first.

Only thing making my head scratch is temperature control. General consensus online and at the course is to never trust the thermostat in the BBQ, so I’m trying to get my head around how you can tell the temp.
Weber site had an interesting piece that breaks down average temps based on the vent openings. Eg 1/4 open is around 150*

Nickman's love of NSW
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Yeah I got the Char-Griller from Bunnings. I’ve been holding out until this course to use the charcoal, just so I can understand the process first.

Only thing making my head scratch is temperature control. General consensus online and at the course is to never trust the thermostat in the BBQ, so I’m trying to get my head around how you can tell the temp.
Weber site had an interesting piece that breaks down average temps based on the vent openings. Eg 1/4 open is around 150*

Yeah the thermometers that come with bbqs are generally pretty rubbish, but being brand new it will still be good enough to give you a decent guide. I use a Weber Igrill, great piece of kite but a bit $$$, have a look at the Ink bird thermometers if you interested in a prob thermometers.

Do you have a charcoal chimney starter? You’ll need one, light have a basket and add it to the rest of your charcoal in the bbq. First time you really should give yourself plenty of time to play with the vents to get be temp close and understand how yours hold heat, every bbqs different. Try and cook between 110c and 135c, it doesn’t make a huge difference in the end result. Make sure you use a heat deflector so your rib don’t have direct heat under them, if you don’t have anything for that just don’t put charcoal under your ribs.

Hope that helps and happy cooking.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I saw the igrill mini, and I was close to buying one the other day. I baulked because I wasn’t sure if that was what I needed, thinking it was more for temperature in the meat. I might get one now.

I did get a Chimney starter. I bought one at the class. Saw the teacher using it and knew I needed one.

Nickman's love of NSW
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

Get one with multiple probs, that way you can use one to monitor the meat and the other the cooking chamber. This is the ink bird, Ive got a couple of mates that have them and share by them

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/323466286997?chn=ps

Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Or try the Aussie made Smartfire, it has up to 4 monitors, one for the pit, three for meat and has a fan to add air to the pit when the fire starts to loose temperature https://smartfirebbq.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQi ... IdEALw_wcB

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

First crack at slow cooking, and I feel like just crying lol.
Can’t get the temperature above 108*c and maintain it.

Feel like I’m just piling on charcoal, and nothings working.

What am I doing wrong?

Nickman's love of NSW
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:First crack at slow cooking, and I feel like just crying lol.
Can’t get the temperature above 108*c and maintain it.

Feel like I’m just piling on charcoal, and nothings working.

What am I doing wrong?

You need time and air, fill your pit up with unlit charcoal and put 1/2 chimney full lit at one end. The coals will light themselves as the cook does, open up your vents right up and give it some time. Adjust your vents when the heat gets up to temp.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I think that’s where I went wrong, with my charcoal layout, and not using enough at the start. Lesson for next time.

Seems to be stable now at 113*.

Nickman's love of NSW