All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

Post by Lui_Bon »

mamando wrote: February 11, 2019, 10:22 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: February 11, 2019, 9:57 pm
Sid wrote: February 11, 2019, 9:37 pm Only just dawned on me that both Sezer and Wighton are left handed/footed so I guess from a kicking point of view it doesn’t matter which side each are predominantly on, so I’m thinking Wighton will mostly be on the left hand side (often chiming in on the right as 2nd receiver on attacking plays too)
I've always wondered about this, because I've never seen why it would matter what foot you kicked off - if Wighton is left footed, he can play on the right and the natural curl will be off towards the right wing. Except that Hodgson as a right footer clearly spears it off the laces so it also curls towards the right wing.

Someone with a bigger brain might correct me but it isn't necessarily what foot you kick it with, but what part of the foot you kick it with and what kick you use that determines where the ball goes.

Which leads me to suggest that Sezer will stay on the left and Jack will just be Austin on the right. With a better tackle...
There’s a reason why teams kick to the same touchline as the side of the ruck they take the pass on - angles, and power. Kicking across your body or back across the ruck loses you distance, and increases chances of a charge down. And the risk of kicking with the “wrong” foot (ie. sezer standing on the right side of the ruck and kicking left footed towards the right touchline) increases your chances of our on the full if you get it a bit off the instep.

If the raiders had any football brains and planned their sets coming out of their own end (you know, just like how we are so great at setting up for field goals), they would ideally finish their 5th tackle on the right side of the field for a long kick off the left side of the ruck.

But in terms of playmaking - i would be extremely surprised if Jack isn’t on the left. He’s already playing out of position, we’ve seen he’s not anywhere near as comfortable chiming into backline moves and setting up his outside teammates in the right.
Yes, I can see why you'd want to kick to the same side of the field as you are going towards anyway (ie, on the same side as you are playing away from the ruck - why would you go back against the grain?) and does that account for Hodgson invariably kicking for the right touchline with his right foot - which he clearly doesn't do if he's too far over to the left of the ruck. He seems to be obviously kicking to get a bit of offspin towards the touchline.

However, if Wighton is left footed, I'd have actually thought he'd be best off kicking a normal drop punt to the right sideline, but you are saying that that can lead to him hooking it chronically? Different sized footballs doing different things...

Then again, too, Wighton's clearly more comfortable passing to the left than the right (is he also right-handed?) so if Sezer is ok with defending between Tapine and Joey, then get him out on that right side since he can pass both ways - I was thinking more that he seemed comfortable on the left between Croker and Paps but Papalli will be in the middle anyway...

This is why I'm not a coach. Or in any way knowledgeable...
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

and just seeing Blake Austin's "defence" against the Broncos in rd 16 last year on foxtel. Anyone who can tackle could take his position, please.
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

Gross..... That is all.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: February 11, 2019, 2:17 pm New Canberra Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton focussing on kicking

Standing at 189 centimetres, slotting back into the defensive line has been pretty easy for Jack Wighton, but it's been his kicking game that's been his major focus in returning to the Canberra Raiders' five-eighth role.

"That's been one of my main focuses is my kick. If I can build a confident game around my kick then everything else will be fine off the back of that," he said. "Defence hasn't been too much of a problem. It's actually been quite fun being back in the line so looking forward to it."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50wyo.html
Interesting that there's zero mention of Abbey being in the mix to replace Wighton. Might just be an oversight.
I wouldn't pick him over Nuk but you'd think he would be 2nd choice, or at least 3rd with 2nd being Wighton at fullback and Sammy in the halves.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ricky still thinks it's 1989 where you can just move your athletic centre (Daley) to five eighth and it will work. I don't see how you can have a "running" five-eighth in the modern left/right halves system. Keary is maybe as close as it gets but it's still a far cry from what the Daleys and Barretts were

I also think there's big concerns about whether your hooker can be your chief playmaker. Does everyone forget Hodgson's tiresome crash balls from 2017? You can only do so much from that position. Cameron Smith does a lot of organising from hooker but is not the Storm's playmaker

At least it should help in defence as people have mentioned. Wighton is a great defender and Sezer decent too, so there'll be no scapegoat anymore if the defence goes to sht.

We'll see. This might be the last roll of the dice that Sticky gets
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's decided that in his time as FB, Wighton developed his ball playing. He was great at the left sweep as a FB. We saw some evidence of that in the 2nd half today when he took some nice decisions and threw a few pretty cutouts for tries. We also saw in the first half that he struggled when pressured. Time will tell if that was rust or he's not going to be up to it.

Austin was a "running" 5/8. So it's not a huge leap to want to try a guy who might run almost as effectively as Austin most days, but defend a lot better.

Hodgo is a creative player, that's not a worry, at the moment I'm interested to see whether Sezer can create something.

It is a last roll of the dice really.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote:
greeneyed wrote: February 11, 2019, 2:17 pm New Canberra Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton focussing on kicking

Standing at 189 centimetres, slotting back into the defensive line has been pretty easy for Jack Wighton, but it's been his kicking game that's been his major focus in returning to the Canberra Raiders' five-eighth role.

"That's been one of my main focuses is my kick. If I can build a confident game around my kick then everything else will be fine off the back of that," he said. "Defence hasn't been too much of a problem. It's actually been quite fun being back in the line so looking forward to it."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50wyo.html
Interesting that there's zero mention of Abbey being in the mix to replace Wighton. Might just be an oversight.
I wouldn't pick him over Nuk but you'd think he would be 2nd choice, or at least 3rd with 2nd being Wighton at fullback and Sammy in the halves.
I can only assume he’s out of favour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Kudos to him, those cut out passes were thrown from his wrong side. Very impressive.
WorkChoice
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Looks like he did enough for round 1, sezer to Mounties and Williams 7 for mine on trial form

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

Wighton is a train wreck at five eighth. Shows the level of Stuart's creativity. Rehash a failed initiative from season's past and hope that a. no one notices b. Wighton is some sort of rabbit's foot or c. The criticism of Wighton leads to EDIT and we buy another pom with the spare cash.

I vote C.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

legend wrote: February 26, 2019, 11:05 am Wighton is a train wreck at five eighth. Shows the level of Stuart's creativity. Rehash a failed initiative from season's past and hope that a. no one notices b. Wighton is some sort of rabbit's foot or c. The criticism of Wighton leads to EDIT and we buy another pom with the spare cash.

I vote C.
What did you think of his trial performance?
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Im looking forward to watching jack at 6.
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I'm confident the coach knows what he's doing, trials don't mean anything, all Sezer and Wighton need now is time on the field together in the halves.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The Rickman wrote: February 26, 2019, 12:30 pm I'm confident the coach knows what he's doing, trials don't mean anything, all Sezer and Wighton need now is time on the field together in the halves.
Based on?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

mamando wrote: February 26, 2019, 12:34 pm
The Rickman wrote: February 26, 2019, 12:30 pm I'm confident the coach knows what he's doing, trials don't mean anything, all Sezer and Wighton need now is time on the field together in the halves.
Based on?
It's his sixth season at the club and he's never had a sixth season at a club before. His career trajectory at any one club tends to go as follows:

Years 1 to 3: good, starting to trend down at the end
Years 4 and 5: mediocre to poor, tends to lose the playing group, often collects a spoon
Year 6: profit??
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Hot take - Wighton will be good at 6!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

The Rickman wrote: February 26, 2019, 12:40 pm
Based on?
It's his sixth season at the club and he's never had a sixth season at a club before. His career trajectory at any one club tends to go as follows:

Years 4 and 5: mediocre to poor, tends to lose the playing group, often collects a spoon
I like it!
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Based on?

Haha, profit indeed. He might have to consider stealing underpants as a career change if he doesn’t deliver this year
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

zim wrote: February 26, 2019, 12:08 pm
legend wrote: February 26, 2019, 11:05 am Wighton is a train wreck at five eighth. Shows the level of Stuart's creativity. Rehash a failed initiative from season's past and hope that a. no one notices b. Wighton is some sort of rabbit's foot or c. The criticism of Wighton leads to EDIT and we buy another pom with the spare cash.

I vote C.
His first half was crap against an NRL strength Bulldogs side. Second half doesn't mean anything as it was against a reserve grade Bulldogs side. His no look cut out pass is indicative of what he used to do when he previously played five eighth. Too much passing before the line and trying to be too fancy, which led to a Bulldogs try.

We are clutching at straws. The Titans will lap us and our season will be over by round four, just as it was last year.

Why was my post edited?
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

You are confident Stuart knows what he is doing based on the fact we have one winning season in five with Stuart as head coach? He's EDIT!
legend
Simon Woolford

Post by legend »

I may seem negative to some but what I can't fathom, and it's been going on with Raiders fans for years, is why you all (bar a few) choose to drink the kool aid each and every year and believe Stuart has defied the definition of insanity and can actually continue to do the same thing over and over and achieve a different result. Wighton was given a shot and it didn't work. Someone explain to me why it will work this time?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

legend wrote: February 26, 2019, 3:21 pm
You are confident Stuart knows what he is doing based on the fact we have one winning season in five with Stuart as head coach? He's EDIT!
I would have said that last year MickeyJ, and the year before, but not this year! I'm confident this season Stuart is going to turn it all around and propel us deeply into the finals, because that's the kind of fan I am this week.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I’m Ricky’s biggest fan and even I can see that Jack at Five Eight is a train wreck. We will be halfway through the season and Sticky will be saying it’s a new halves pairing etc and they need time and before you know it we are doing the mathematics at Round 18 to see if we can scrape 8th spot.

Please prove me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote: February 26, 2019, 3:42 pm I’m Ricky’s biggest fan and even I can see that Jack at Five Eight is a train wreck. We will be halfway through the season and Sticky will be saying it’s a new halves pairing etc and they need time and before you know it we are doing the mathematics at Round 18 to see if we can scrape 8th spot.

Please prove me wrong.

Well you're obviously not Ricky's biggest fan anymore Brew... MOVE ASIDE!!
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I remain far more concerned with our middle forwards than our halves, whoever they and up being. They looked well off the pace against the Eels and the Bulldogs.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

legend wrote:
zim wrote: February 26, 2019, 12:08 pm

I vote C.
His first half was crap against an NRL strength Bulldogs side. Second half doesn't mean anything as it was against a reserve grade Bulldogs side. His no look cut out pass is indicative of what he used to do when he previously played five eighth. Too much passing before the line and trying to be too fancy, which led to a Bulldogs try.

We are clutching at straws. The Titans will lap us and our season will be over by round four, just as it was last year.

Why was my post edited?
Positive as ever Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Rickman wrote: February 26, 2019, 3:46 pm
Brew wrote: February 26, 2019, 3:42 pm I’m Ricky’s biggest fan and even I can see that Jack at Five Eight is a train wreck. We will be halfway through the season and Sticky will be saying it’s a new halves pairing etc and they need time and before you know it we are doing the mathematics at Round 18 to see if we can scrape 8th spot.

Please prove me wrong.

Hit the bricks, Brewski

The Rickman and PigRickman are moving in, pal.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Green eyed Mick wrote: February 26, 2019, 5:54 pm I remain far more concerned with our middle forwards than our halves, whoever they and up being. They looked well off the pace against the Eels and the Bulldogs.
Can't agree more. 'Metres conceded', will be the defining stat of our season. Nothing else.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

There's never been a better post on the Greenhouse
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

PigRickman wrote:

Please prove me wrong.

Hit the bricks, Brewski

Change your pic to one with Ricky then we will talk.

In Ricky We Trust
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Green eyed Mick wrote: February 26, 2019, 5:54 pm I remain far more concerned with our middle forwards than our halves, whoever they and up being. They looked well off the pace against the Eels and the Bulldogs.
I concur, Jack Wighton was not the reason we looked sluggish in the trials.

There are some worrying signs with our middle third D.
WorkChoice
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

LP Raider wrote: February 27, 2019, 11:08 am
I concur, Jack Wighton was not the reason we looked sluggish in the trials.

There are some worrying signs with our middle third D.
Crazy how we've supposedly been working on becoming a more mobile, defensively minded unit yet we seem to be giving away just as many metres as we did in past seasons... It's hard to get an accurate gauge on where the team's at through trial games but I can't say I'm all that confident going in to the season.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Brew wrote: February 27, 2019, 10:23 am
PigRickman wrote:

Please prove me wrong.

Hit the bricks, Brewski

Change your pic to one with Ricky then we will talk.

Check and mate.

Ricky is making some major **** moves this year and i for one am complete behind him. He's nailed this off season. Perfect.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I have to say I like the cut of PigRickman's jib.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

As i've said in previous posts, I think our lack of size in the middle will ensure teams make even more metres. Worrying signs....