Raiders employ sports psychologist to tackle close losses

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

It's taken a while, but Ricky has finally realised that he and his coaching staff are not going to fix the players' head spaces by themselves.

"We have employed, as a consultant, a sports psychologist who is doing a lot of different stuff in regards to helping me with game systems and more importantly doing a lot of work with our senior players with leadership," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50z8p.html
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders employ sports psychologist to tackle close losses

Post by -PJ- »

Is he earning more than me ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Doubt it, Bruce. Your royalties from Die Hard must be worth a bit

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

It is astounding that it has taken this long to employ a sports psychologist when you consider everything including being right next door to the AIS who have some there. This is a positive move yet my first thought is I cannot believe how far behind the game this club continues to be. People on the GH have been talking about doing this exact thing for the best part of a decade!
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

i read last year they hired one but maybe this one is full time and not just a few visits
raider 4 life
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

nemesis wrote:i read last year they hired one but maybe this one is full time and not just a few visits
He was a UK expert on sports leadership who came in for some sessions on the Sunshine Coast. I don’t think there was a sports psychologist last year during the season. Certainly, the comments from the coach suggested not last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I know a good sports psychopath if this guy doesn’t work out.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

yurithe1 wrote: February 24, 2019, 12:29 pm It's taken a while, but Ricky has finally realised that he and his coaching staff are not going to fix the players' head spaces by themselves.

"We have employed, as a consultant, a sports psychologist who is doing a lot of different stuff in regards to helping me with game systems and more importantly doing a lot of work with our senior players with leadership," Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50z8p.html
Of course the help with the players is more important as Stick always sees himself as excelling.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

It’s worked wonders already with two come from behind wins in the trials!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Next on the list, a strategist please.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Don’t say we’re not on the forefront of sports management!
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

How's it taken us this long to do this? I just assumed we already had 1. Although. I suppose watching us the last couple of years it's fairly evident we didn't.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote: February 25, 2019, 6:02 am Don’t say we’re not on the forefront of sports management!
This move firmly establishes the Raiders as the greatest innovators in the NRL. You watch all the other clubs try and copy us now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Didn’t we adopt GPS tracking years after the rest of the comp did?

I think this is a ploy from the club. Watch as they now win accolades for doing this. We’ll get praise for being the most innovative club this year, because we’re the only club to hire a psychologist

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Well, TBF, we are 2 comeback wins from 2 attempts.
So... maybe its actually working
Sezer's Palace
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by Sezer's Palace »

Apparently the psychologist just reminded the players that winning close games, is in fact, more enjoyable than losing them.

Seems to be working wonders so far.
Instagram: @sezerspalace
Twitter: @jackkcronin
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker has 'no doubt' psychologist will help club win

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker says working with a sports psychologist this preseason will help the club finally start winning close games.

"It’s going to help, no doubt," Croker said. "I can’t just nail one thing we've been learning, it’s a slow process, we’re doing meetings fortnightly at the moment and we’re learning a lot of different things. It’s about being better as a group and growing as individuals. There are a few little game experiences in there we’re trying to work on as well but overall it’s just about growing as a squad.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5100q.html
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Another great move by the SuperCoach! 2019 is our year!!

luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

The Rickman wrote: February 26, 2019, 8:07 am Another great move by the SuperCoach! 2019 is our year!!

This is going to be fun ...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I can’t wait until next season already when the club revolutionises trial games by picking 1st grade players

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

BJ wrote: February 24, 2019, 5:45 pm I know a good sports psychopath if this guy doesn’t work out.
Matt Lodge ?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Rickman wrote: February 26, 2019, 8:07 am Another great move by the SuperCoach! 2019 is our year!!

Sticky is an ideas man
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

Only problem is that they’re so focused on being able to close out games now that they’ve forgotten how to play the first half. Sack the psychologist.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: February 25, 2019, 4:16 pm Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker has 'no doubt' psychologist will help club win

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker says working with a sports psychologist this preseason will help the club finally start winning close games.

"It’s going to help, no doubt," Croker said. "I can’t just nail one thing we've been learning, it’s a slow process, we’re doing meetings fortnightly at the moment and we’re learning a lot of different things. It’s about being better as a group and growing as individuals. There are a few little game experiences in there we’re trying to work on as well but overall it’s just about growing as a squad.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 5100q.html
Canberra Times reports a distraught sports psychologist mumbling incoherently about 'it's like trying to teach quantum mechanics to a dachshund' before falling to the ground and laughing maniacally. Raiders are seeking a replacement.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Peter wrote: February 26, 2019, 9:10 pm Only problem is that they’re so focused on being able to close out games now that they’ve forgotten how to play the first half. Sack the psychologist.
:lol:

Ricky was going to sit in on this as well, but he got Recognition of Prior Learning as he knows all this anyway.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

“Raiders employ sports psychologist to tackle close losses”
Im just glad we’ve finally signed someone to make tackles
Dont delete this GE
Green Chapel

Post by Green Chapel »

The close losses are probaly due to the fact we dont have a real Marquee Half.

Will continue to happen if Sezer and or Wighton dont control the game.

Having Mick innis around the squad will help a lot , he knows what the problem is.
Green Chapel

Post by Green Chapel »

Its laughable when i hear Ricky and Croker and a few of em .... not being able to put their finger on the problem !

Put Cronk in that Raiders team and we win those games.

No running round like mad men in the last few minutes snatching defeat from jaws of victory .... Cronk has it sorted.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We were run down time and again imo because we didn't have the defensive concentration to defend and keep the opposition from threatening our line. Some sides were so confident in their defensive prowess they work over and dominate in tackles and give away penalties knowing it is not coming back to harm them. It is an opportunity to frustrate the opposition and put hurt on them physically and mentally.

With our side though, we are at least a try per match behind where the better defensive teams sit. Our first half trial form indicates we have not yet learned the lessons. Four tries conceded against the trundling Dogs.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

RedRaider wrote: March 10, 2019, 6:15 am We were run down time and again imo because we didn't have the defensive concentration to defend and keep the opposition from threatening our line. Some sides were so confident in their defensive prowess they work over and dominate in tackles and give away penalties knowing it is not coming back to harm them. It is an opportunity to frustrate the opposition and put hurt on them physically and mentally.

With our side though, we are at least a try per match behind where the better defensive teams sit. Our first half trial form indicates we have not yet learned the lessons. Four tries conceded against the trundling Dogs.
We don't work hard enough in defence. It is really that simple IMO. We are slow off our line, don't get extra numbers into tackles, our wrestling is inconsistent, our kick pressure is usually non-existent and we struggle to effectively contain offloads.

We'll know in about 4 weeks if our new focus on defence has addressed these simple but incredibly important issues.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm torn between "excellent, good news" and "what the heck has taken so long this would have been a much better idea a year ago before the boys really built up some trauma..."
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Green eyed Mick wrote: March 10, 2019, 7:53 am
RedRaider wrote: March 10, 2019, 6:15 am We were run down time and again imo because we didn't have the defensive concentration to defend and keep the opposition from threatening our line. Some sides were so confident in their defensive prowess they work over and dominate in tackles and give away penalties knowing it is not coming back to harm them. It is an opportunity to frustrate the opposition and put hurt on them physically and mentally.

We don't work hard enough in defence. It is really that simple IMO. We are slow off our line, don't get extra numbers into tackles, our wrestling is inconsistent, our kick pressure is usually non-existent and we struggle to effectively contain offloads.

We'll know in about 4 weeks if our new focus on defence has addressed these simple but incredibly important issues.
Nailed it Mick. We’d have to be one of the worst teams in the comp for the mental/effort one percenters. In a highly competitive competition, it really stands out.

Compare us to what a team like the wests tigers were doing in the first half of last year. Probably the least talented roster going around, but they were scrapping for every loose ball and cover tackle - upsetting better teams or at least staying competitive for the 80mins.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Agree with the above sentiment. I'll also say that Ricky looks to be partly addressing that in recruitment. The big, cumbersome gus like Paulo and Boyd are being replaced by smaller players with a big motor like J Bateman. We're also seeing young, hungry guys being given an opportunity rather than bringing in journeymen back ups. Hopefully this starts lifting the effort across the board and we see a big improvement in those 1 percenters.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Agree GEM,Rickmando,NR. I was not encouraged by our first half performance against the FG Dogs. They put 4 tries on us. It really is 'fingers crossed and hope for the best' with the backline reshuffle. I've seen no evidence so far that our defence against FGers is any different to last year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

RedRaider wrote: March 11, 2019, 9:47 am Agree GEM,Rickmando,NR. I was not encouraged by our first half performance against the FG Dogs. They put 4 tries on us. It really is 'fingers crossed and hope for the best' with the backline reshuffle. I've seen no evidence so far that our defence against FGers is any different to last year.
You've gotta have faith, RickRaider. Our coach knows what he's doing, he's addressing the issues we all know have been present the last two seasons!