Off topic

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Off topic

Post by gerg »

I think 8 or 9 am on the weekend. It's still early enough to annoy the crap out of the crappy neighbours while not annoying the good neighbours who also suffered along with you.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Yep finished about 30 mins ago.

Start a chain reaction in the street though, there's at least 3 others mowers going now.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:Yep finished about 30 mins ago.

Start a chain reaction in the street though, there's at least 3 others mowers going now.
Haha. The absolute worst thing about living in NY was apartment living. Drove me insane the complete disrespect that some people have for their neighbours. When the fifth party happened in the apartment above me, in the space of 2/3 weeks I went upstairs, banged on the door and told him to pipe down. He was shocked and so were the doormen. "You can't do that, you have to come tell us and we contact them".

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

gergreg wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:So I’ve been building these modular garden beds from Birdies. They’re like a flat pack, you give them the dimensions and they send you the timber. Beds are in multiples of 550mm, so you can have them 550m long, 1100 long etc.
So I ordered them, and have planned to basically build a giant horseshoe around the backyard. Thinking I’ll have about 200mm wriggle room on both ends when I’m done.
Get to the last piece, and there’s a 430mm gap between the bed and the fence. Not too sure what to do. These things are heavy, so moving them around is a bit of a pain. I have 100mm on the other side as well, so ordering another piece isn’t an option either.

Time to get creative

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Post a pic Fui. I need to do some borders/edges at my place

Some before and after pics

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Looks really good Fui. Do you mind sharing how much that was, I think that looks about as much as I'd need along my back fence. What are you going to plant in there?

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

gergreg wrote: February 10, 2019, 12:23 pm Looks really good Fui. Do you mind sharing how much that was, I think that looks about as much as I'd need along my back fence. What are you going to plant in there?

He's planting some stuff for Manbush !!!

BTW that's looks great Fui..
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gergreg wrote:Looks really good Fui. Do you mind sharing how much that was, I think that looks about as much as I'd need along my back fence. What are you going to plant in there?

Yeah it was around $2k - $2.5k by the time I was finished. It was relatively easy. The hardest part was priming and painting.

Plant wise, we’re going for a tropical look. Ferns, Palms in those towers, frangipani. We were inspired after we went to Hawaii.

The Manbush stuff is reserved for the garage
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gergreg wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
gergreg wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
gergreg wrote:Post a pic Fui. I need to do some borders/edges at my place

Yeah will do. Spoke to Mrs Fui, as she’s the site foreman. Pointed out that we can plant some taller palms in the gap. Plus we have space to put some decorative screens on the fence too.

We’re going for a Tropical style look. Lots of greens, ferns, palms etc.

Crisis averted. For those interested in the beds, here’s the link. We went with their Stacka range

https://birdiesgardenproducts.com.au
I kind of like the clean look of these low retaining walls.

http://wsleeper.com.au/adbri-retaining-walls/

The 'charcoal' Windsor (near the bottom) would work nicely at my place with matching charcoal pavers would look really professional. I have to fix the back fence first though and as with everything it comes back to finances, or lack thereof.

We were looking at those for our front wall. We settled for Charcoal Arrinastone blocks

http://bbp.style/PUBLIC/products/brochu ... re-NSW.pdf
Yes looks nice, you got a ball park figure? I've probably got about 6/7 metres worth of wall/garden to do?

Can’t remember the length, but we got about 80 blocks in the end. Worked out cheaper to get a pallet.
Finished result

Nickman's love of NSW
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Nice house Fui. Wish I could afford one like that Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Thanks Dubs. It was more luck than anything. When we bought the block, it was cheaper to build our house than buy one to the same specs. It’s flipped now.

It also helped that the developer took nearly 18 months to register the land, so we used that time to save like crazy living with the in laws.

No way we could do it now.

Nickman's love of NSW
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

my 15yo mower blew the side out of the engine case yesterday mid job, 6.5hp briggs and Stratton weapon - found a cheap 3hp $100- lightweight toy of a mower 2nd hand and it finished the job with ease hahaha

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
gergreg wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
gergreg wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: Yeah will do. Spoke to Mrs Fui, as she’s the site foreman. Pointed out that we can plant some taller palms in the gap. Plus we have space to put some decorative screens on the fence too.

We’re going for a Tropical style look. Lots of greens, ferns, palms etc.

Crisis averted. For those interested in the beds, here’s the link. We went with their Stacka range

https://birdiesgardenproducts.com.au
I kind of like the clean look of these low retaining walls.

http://wsleeper.com.au/adbri-retaining-walls/

The 'charcoal' Windsor (near the bottom) would work nicely at my place with matching charcoal pavers would look really professional. I have to fix the back fence first though and as with everything it comes back to finances, or lack thereof.

We were looking at those for our front wall. We settled for Charcoal Arrinastone blocks

http://bbp.style/PUBLIC/products/brochu ... re-NSW.pdf
Yes looks nice, you got a ball park figure? I've probably got about 6/7 metres worth of wall/garden to do?

Can’t remember the length, but we got about 80 blocks in the end. Worked out cheaper to get a pallet.
Finished result

Looks really good Fui. Probably can't afford to drop 2k atm but will keep it in mind for the future. A few Qs though; you mentioned painting - I didn't realise these would be a product that required painting which is a little annoying as far as semi-regular upkeep; and secondly I can't tell from your front yard pics whether the structure is boxed or just a single row of the blocks? Do you need to box it to maintain its integrity or can you just use it in a singular line? I ask partly for minimising cost and also future maintenance - if you place a boxed version up against a fence how do you re-paint the side which is up against the fence? I hear you saying, why the hell would you even bother - but our body corporate has a strict design feature (hardly a feature Imo) that there needs to be a gap in our fencing (between each pailing).

Again looks great and I'd love to see a pic of the final product (along your fenceline).

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Not a problem Gerg.
For painting, it was personal choice. We just thought painting them grey rather than leaving them as raw pine suited our house and the look we were going for.

With the blocks, we didn’t box them. The good thing with Arrinastone is they have these lips on the bottom of them, so they sort of “Click” into each other to avoid movement. That was what sold us those blocks. Plus we did some reading around and saw with these blocks they were ok up to 3 blocks high, then you needed to start reinforcing etc. So we just made sure we kept it at 3

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

NSW premier Gladys Berryjiklian was in Newcastle today to officially open the light rail..

She's single ya all know !!!!!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Fui paint the inside with some membrane like a bitumen paint or something. that treated pine stuff just aint what it used to be mate.
This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Q we have builders plastic we’re going to line the inside with before we lay the soil.
You think that’s enough?

Nickman's love of NSW
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Yeah it helps... should be enough mate. Looks good by the way throw a few bird of paradise in the mix mate.
This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Question wrote:Yeah it helps... should be enough mate. Looks good by the way throw a few bird of paradise in the mix mate.
Great minds mate, we got 2 yesterday.

Nickman's love of NSW
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I love the foliage on them big broad evergreen leaf the flower is just an added bonus... terrifically hardy as well great choice mate.
This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Thanks, we’ve just finished off the plant buying. Got some Frangipanis, Tropicana Gold, Dragons Breath, Crotons, Cascade Palms and Elephant Ears.

Now to keep them all alive!

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

How's everyone today ?

I've been a little off the last few days. Broken sleep, headaches, lower leg pain(torture).

I spend all day on my feet and at the end of my shift my feet are killing me. I've tried the inserts in my boots and they're OK for a while until they start to wear. I'm just exhausted as well and I've never been the type of bloke to sit around, but lately I've got home from work and done squat for a few hours.

I've been drinking heaps of water so hydration shouldn't be a problem.

I've always considered myself a fit/healthy person(beer gut excluded)

Maybe I'm just getting old and it's catching up with me...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Peej mate the heat has knocked me about too.

Looks like I've sold my house after 4 months on the market, agreed a price on another that will need renovations.
I feel tired.

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

PJ... I drove back from Sydney on Saturday morning and stood watching the junior reps all afternoon... I was a tired old bloke at the end of the day. Sore eyes, a bit sunburned, despite doing the right thing as best I could. You're doing well to stand up all day every day for work.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Thanks boner + GE.

My aching feet are keeping me awake. I've been soaking in Mrs PJs foot spa as well as using Radox.
I've been sleeping half way down the bed, on my stomach with my feet hangin over the edge of the mattress.

Maybe I need more salt in my diet. I'm just real lethargic and busted. I'll go to bed tonight and by the time my alarm goes off at 5am I'm feeling ok..probably 80-85%. By the time I knock off I'm sore.

Thank god a drive an auto.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: February 19, 2019, 6:00 pm Peej mate the heat has knocked me about too.

Looks like I've sold my house after 4 months on the market, agreed a price on another that will need renovations.
I feel tired.

Staying in the Nock bone ??
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:
bonehead wrote: February 19, 2019, 6:00 pm Peej mate the heat has knocked me about too.

I feel tired.

yes mate, Rothbury at least. I'm working behind the supercentre these days so commute will be better.

I go berocca every morning, asparagus every night. it's helped the aches and cramps

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: February 19, 2019, 7:29 pm
-PJ- wrote:

I feel tired.

yes mate, Rothbury at least. I'm working behind the supercentre these days so commute will be better.

I go berocca every morning, asparagus every night. it's helped the aches and cramps

Berocca eh ?

Might give that a go !!!

Are you getting this rain right now ?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

few mm's mate.

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-PJ- wrote: February 19, 2019, 6:59 pm Thanks boner + GE.

My aching feet are keeping me awake. I've been soaking in Mrs PJs foot spa as well as using Radox.
I've been sleeping half way down the bed, on my stomach with my feet hangin over the edge of the mattress.

Maybe I need more salt in my diet. I'm just real lethargic and busted. I'll go to bed tonight and by the time my alarm goes off at 5am I'm feeling ok..probably 80-85%. By the time I knock off I'm sore.

For the feet have you tried Peppermint Foot Spray from Body Shop? Its no miracle cure but does a decent job of temporarily refreshing the feet.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: February 20, 2019, 1:47 pm
-PJ- wrote: February 19, 2019, 6:59 pm Thanks boner + GE.

For the feet have you tried Peppermint Foot Spray from Body Shop? Its no miracle cure but does a decent job of temporarily refreshing the feet.
Haven't tried that mate. I actually swapped boots today, put the slip ons back on. Their issued, good quality..SteelBlue? But I'm wearing thinner socks as well.. Today I'm not too bad. I suppose standing up all day will eventually start to break a man down..

I like being home..bare feet..relaxing to be honest.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The 2019 season guide is out.

Big League mag, all glossy, all clubs, $10..
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Cramps ****... about 1 to 2 AM i awake in screaming full cramp lock in the legs, I make a bee line to the fridge to neck some pickled onion or gherkin juice then do circles around the house to walk it out... ive been doing squats lately just before i hit the sack and have started some yoga
This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Magnesium tablets.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

this stop start cricket season I've struggled with cramps and pulled muscles in the legs, magnesium tablets have done wonders.
Woeful season, 17 runs at 3.7 only batted on raging greentops coming in on the back of top order collapses, 5 dropped catches from 6 chances, 2 broken ribs, 2 broken fingers.

Edrick The Entertainer
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

**** mate thats enough to turn a man to drink.
This place is woke.