Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by bonehead »

cheers mate good summary.
I'm 41, keratoconus diagnosed 15yrs ago left eye but also a weak optic nerve diagnosed.
I wear prescription glasses or contacts for my right eye which does 90% of my vision. I can pass all tests 2 eyes but fail on the left alone. lost my HR truck licence etc.
Changed optometrist recently she's really shocked I've been untreated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

What stage are you at? Keratoconis for me too, about 30 years. My left eye was -12 and had got to the point where it was difficult to make a lens that could fit the point of my eye. Are you also at that stage?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

nothing helps me, they put the special hard contact lens in and it made no difference.
my old optometrist just ignored it, the new one is really keen wants me to go back this month for a longer consult.

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wow that's disappointing. Sounds like your first guy should be retiring or finding alternative employment. Good luck with the new one.

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

So, came 22nd in Sydney Spartan on the weekend. I missed my first spear in a few races too so lost about 90 seconds to burpees too. Field keeps getting weaker because I've been in much better shape than I am now.

In more exciting news, the Spartan Ultra World Championships is moving from Iceland to Sweden this year. Åre, Sweden to be specific. Anyone been? Anyone keen? It's 9-10 November.

I really want to make it however I've already half paid for holiday in Sri Lanka in October. So the issue of leave and of course money could get in the way.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

EJ wrote:So, came 22nd in Sydney Spartan on the weekend. I missed my first spear in a few races too so lost about 90 seconds to burpees too. Field keeps getting weaker because I've been in much better shape than I am now.

In more exciting news, the Spartan Ultra World Championships is moving from Iceland to Sweden this year. Åre, Sweden to be specific. Anyone been? Anyone keen? It's 9-10 November.

I really want to make it however I've already half paid for holiday in Sri Lanka in October. So the issue of leave and of course money could get in the way.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Well done EJ. I am in awe of you lot who finish these comps in such great times or finish them at all! And all in your spare time, that really is awesome.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Bit of a setback for me. Confirmed a small tear in my calf today that has been stopping me from running for about 2 weeks. Damage isn’t too bad, but probably another 4 weeks till it’s healed. Hoping to be back running sooner than that.

Just another challenge on the journey!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

No need to rush it, particularly with a calf. When it feels right give it an extra week.

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Absolutely.

Rushing fitness never helps. I’m struggling with a chest infection because I tried to rush back training from a cold.

I have a half Ironman next weekend as well...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I did this ride in September 2017 across Korea. It's taken me this long to upload some video of the ride, but if anybody is interested I have now loaded a heap of short clips. I wanted to sync them all up for longer clips but I didn't have enough memory on my laptop to merge them - maybe I'm doing it wrong.

The clips for day 5 were probably the most picturesque. That particularly area was around a place called Andongdam which is nearby to a traditional Korean folk village which is on the world heritage list. This area had a lot of really interesting rock formations along the river. The whole route was about 700km of dedicated cycle ways (away from the road). All up they have maybe 1500-2000km of dedicated cycle ways across the country. I'd love to see something like this in Australia. It is a fantastic way to see a country and seems really good for regional economies/tourism.

Attached link will lead to more clips
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TkPFTMgC81Y
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

There’s some amazing scenery in there mate!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

In Japan at the moment and was idly thinking of popping across to Korea for the weekend. This has just tipped me over.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Take your bicycle. I can recommend the East coast route, only about 220km so perfect for a weekend ride. Just don't miss the last checkpoint and end up at the big barbwire fence like I did. Actually probably still a little cool (weather wise) isn't it?

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote:Take your bicycle. I can recommend the East coast route, only about 220km so perfect for a weekend ride. Just don't miss the last checkpoint and end up at the big barbwire fence like I did. Actually probably still a little cool (weather wise) isn't it?

Friggin' freezing.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: February 20, 2019, 3:55 pm Take your bicycle. I can recommend the East coast route, only about 220km so perfect for a weekend ride. Just don't miss the last checkpoint and end up at the big barbwire fence like I did. Actually probably still a little cool (weather wise) isn't it?

Don't listen to him, TR... just keep on riding, you'll be absolutely fine.

Don't they know who you are??
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

They'd like me. I'm quite supportive of brutal oppression of the masses.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Honestly, I think Kim Jong-Un might think you're a little too over the top at times.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've been to Korea. I found the country side to be thoroughly bleak.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

greeneyed wrote:I've been to Korea. I found the country side to be thoroughly bleak.
Only when TR isn't there.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:I've been to Korea. I found the country side to be thoroughly bleak.
In what way and where did you go?

IMO a guide is very important in a country like Korea, to get the most out of the place.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Went to Seoul and some of the surrounding countryside and to Jeju Island. I wouldn't pay to go back.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Went to Seoul and some of the surrounding countryside and to Jeju Island. I wouldn't pay to go back.
You couldnt relate culturally. You need a program of study at a leading Korean language school, ideally one in a stunning Gangnam location.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I haven't been to Korea.

My grandfather has though..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Went to Seoul and some of the surrounding countryside and to Jeju Island. I wouldn't pay to go back.
Both places require a guide to get the most of. Jeju has a better climate, great seafood and renowned for its oranges. Absolutely beautiful national park on the mountain. A dormant volcano walk which is stunning. Also has a dedicated bicycle route.
Seoul has everything, food, shopping, palaces, a copy of the Telstra tower which is a stunning walk in autumn with all the Japanese maples, a nice river cruise, interesting architecture. And who doesn't like Korean bbq?

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Japan kinda intrigues me. I'll only go if I had a guide or went on a tour though.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:Japan kinda intrigues me. I'll only go if I had a guide or went on a tour though.

Me too. I'm obsessed with bonsai so Japan is a dream destination for me, but an expensive one. If and when I go I'd spend a lot of money on tools and pots.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Hell of a lot cheapet to travel in Japan than Australia.

Source: Currently travelling in Japan

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:Hell of a lot cheapet to travel in Japan than Australia.

Source: Currently travelling in Japan
Absolutely. We stayed at various accommodation across Korea and it's astonishing how much accommodation alone costs in Australia. Why do we pay over 100 dollars per night (at the cheaper end of the scale) for a bed, and little else.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:What stage are you at? Keratoconis for me too, about 30 years. My left eye was -12 and had got to the point where it was difficult to make a lens that could fit the point of my eye. Are you also at that stage?

another new optometrist today, the last one made a mistake on my lens and I had to go back, was tight in the chest wearing my glasses really strange feeling.
Anyway she wants to look at some options, said I'm basically looking through a smashed windscreen, some bits are clear and others not so it's all about my angles.

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:
gergreg wrote:What stage are you at? Keratoconis for me too, about 30 years. My left eye was -12 and had got to the point where it was difficult to make a lens that could fit the point of my eye. Are you also at that stage?

another new optometrist today, the last one made a mistake on my lens and I had to go back, was tight in the chest wearing my glasses really strange feeling.
Anyway she wants to look at some options, said I'm basically looking through a smashed windscreen, some bits are clear and others not so it's all about my angles.

I hope it goes well. My mum has had some serious health issues and a kind of side effect, as she described it, was randomly losing her vision - like a jigsaw puzzle scattered on the floor. She is getting treatment and thinks it may be linked to her thyroid/medication issues. The description of your vision issues sound a little similar?

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

How’s the eye healing up Greg?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:How’s the eye healing up Greg?
Getting better each day. It's nice to have time off work but I can't really do anything so I'm getting a bit of cabin fever and my sleeping patterns are all over the shop. I wake up at 3 or 4 every morning so it's going to be tough going back to work. The vision is better in the new eye than what was previously the stronger, right eye. So far so good.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Make waking up at 3-4 useful- I love those hours and get a lot done before anyone else wakes up!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I usually do about 30 minutes of tai chi but there really is little else I can do unfortunately. I specifically asked the doctor if I could do any exercise, including tai chi and he said no, no tai chi either but I can do the occasional walk around the block. Maybe he doesn't know what tai chi is because it really is the equivalent of a walk around the block.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Excersize during recovery is often frowned upon because it can delay the physical healing time.

But it can seriously aid the mental process.

Check the vodeo below for an example of someon who obviously started training to early, but had to for reasons of sanity!