Bulldogs 13+
13%

Total votes: 16

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 Trial 2 V Bulldogs: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

Youngsters impress Ricky Stuart in Canberra Raiders trial win

Impressive performances by a handful of Canberra Raiders youngsters may force Ricky Stuart to rethink his 17-man squad for round one of the Telstra Premiership.

"The intensity, the speed, the collisions are always greater [playing against first graders] and I was more than impressed with a number of younger players. I've changed a couple of our selections for our squad going away to the Bega trial purely on that performance."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/18/can ... trial-win/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart on the Green Machine's trial win against the Eels and the squad for Saturday night's Bega trial

Canberra Raiders fans will finally get a chance to see what Ricky Stuart's plans are for this season - after he vowed to name his strongest side possible for Saturday's trial against the Bulldogs. It comes just days after a young side edged out the Eels in Sydney, WIN News Canberra reports.

Video: http://ow.ly/yMJY30nJDhw
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

zim wrote: In the video from the article they're looking to get 60mins out of the strongest squad.
That was the problem with last season Image
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:05 pm It's possible he has a spot already and stuart wants to maximize the fringe forwards in the side to see how they go (despite "strongest lineup"). If it's not though and it's all going off trial form then surely Horsburgh firming for a round 1 bench spot.

Pretty big fall if he goes from starting -> 3 year deal -> missing round 1.
I think it's something like this or a slight injury. We already have 2 "unknown quantities" with the English imports, who are having their first look at NRL. With that in mind I think Ricky will only want one rookie on the bench Round 1 and with Lui a starter last year and a known quantity with 1 trial already under his belt, he makes sense as one to leave off to let Sutton, Horse and even Guler to some extent get more of a look at/taste of FG.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: 2019 Trial 2 V Bulldogs: Teams and Game Day

Post by Green eyed Mick »

boydy80 wrote: February 18, 2019, 1:18 pm I'm surprised there's no Lui
My guess is he has penned Lui into his 17 for round one and wants to get a better look at someone he is still undecided on.

Hopefully someone will have an answer. Are Mounties trialling?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green eyed Mick wrote: February 18, 2019, 6:16 pm
My guess is he has penned Lui into his 17 for round one and wants to get a better look at someone he is still undecided on.

Mounties trials:

Trial 1
23rd February
#ISP and #RMCup 6.30pm v Wentworthville
Aubrey Keech Reserve

Trial 2
2nd March
#RMCup v Cabramatta 3.30pm
#ISP v Bulldogs 5.15pm
#HNWP v Cabramatta 7pm
Cabramatta Sports Ground
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Green eyed Mick wrote:

All well and good but he didn't look fit enough last weekend. However, with our pack reshuffle maybe we are looking at bigger/explosive impact from him seeing as Papalii could potentially play longer minutes than the usual prop?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gangrenous wrote: February 18, 2019, 5:53 pm
zim wrote: In the video from the article they're looking to get 60mins out of the strongest squad.
That was the problem with last season Image
:roflmao
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

How can 3people already be injured?

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Slight niggles they may carry on with in the regular season but no sense pushing it/taking extra recovery rather than play a trial?

Maybe it HAS been the toughest pre-season ever!
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

gergreg wrote: February 18, 2019, 6:34 pm
Green eyed Mick wrote:

All well and good but he didn't look fit enough last weekend. However, with our pack reshuffle maybe we are looking at bigger/explosive impact from him seeing as Papalii could potentially play longer minutes than the usual prop?

I didn’t see any signs of him looking unfit. He did the same job he usually does. When did you think he looked unfit? I thought he was better than Guler.

Papa and Sia locked in as props. Havili at 14. I’d be surprised if there are three better guys for the bench for Round One.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

dubby wrote: February 18, 2019, 7:36 pm How can 3people already be injured?

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
It would be a rare pre season that didn't have some casualties, not just collision injuries either.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ruben Daley wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

I didn’t see any signs of him looking unfit. He did the same job he usually does. When did you think he looked unfit? I thought he was better than Guler.

Papa and Sia locked in as props. Havili at 14. I’d be surprised if there are three better guys for the bench for Round One.
Maybe it was more him holding back but he clearly wasn't hitting the ball up with the same vigour he did last year. Not even close.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’ll say it again. If one of the young guys wants to take Lui’s spot, they need to out perform him on both the training field and on the playing field.

Dunamis proved a better bang for buck player than Boyd and Paulo throughout last year, he was one of the few forwards to take two hit ups a set when the team was tired and under the pump late in games.

Him, Papalli and Whitehead were probably the only forwards who didn’t only turn it on when we were on top in a game.

It’s now up to someone else to demand Lui’s position by outperforming him.

No good being a Junior Paulo and killing it when the team is on top, but then going missing when it gets tough.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

zim wrote: February 18, 2019, 4:25 pm Yeah I don't get it either. Training has never been an issue with Lui. Maybe it's a kick up the butt because he didn't lead in the trial like expected for one of the senior guys. Guess we'll just have to see what happens with him round 1.
This is probably why the guys been at a few Clubs....
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

It’s a simple formula Stuart MUST try and do this season and that is make players accountable for their actions, attitude and form. If players don’t pull their weight I don’t care who they are drop them, Bellamy has no problem dropping high profile players. It’s embarassing for them to play in the lower grades.
Bay 67
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by Bay 67 »

Leilua, Oldfield and J Bateman all out with minor injuries for the trial...
Raiders Lime, what they really drink in the dressing room.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

gergreg wrote: February 18, 2019, 9:47 pm
Ruben Daley wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:

Maybe it was more him holding back but he clearly wasn't hitting the ball up with the same vigour he did last year. Not even close.

Fair enough. Still doesn’t really explain why he’s not in the Bega team. He’s earned that.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I thought Lui did his job against the Eels. In the first 40 minutes the Raiders had little possession so hit ups are affected due to lack of opportunity. I would be very surprised if Lui is not in the 17 against the Titans in Rd 1.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I thought Lui did his job against the Eels. In the first 40 minutes the Raiders had little possession so hit ups are affected due to lack of opportunity. I would be very surprised if Lui is not in the 17 againok xmu myst the Titans in Rd 1.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Why have people seemingly put a line through Cotric at fb? Based on 4 or 5 games last year? I'm interested in the thought process
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Hazza wrote: February 19, 2019, 10:30 am Why have people seemingly put a line through Cotric at fb? Based on 4 or 5 games last year? I'm interested in the thought process
pretty much because there have been articles that have pretty much suggested that Ricky and Cotric have put a line through that. Bit of a shame, how is Cotric supposed to be selected as a NSW winger or centre if he's not playing fullback?! :lol:
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Sid wrote: February 19, 2019, 10:33 am
Hazza wrote: February 19, 2019, 10:30 am Why have people seemingly put a line through Cotric at fb? Based on 4 or 5 games last year? I'm interested in the thought process
pretty much because there have been articles that have pretty much suggested that Ricky and Cotric have put a line through that. Bit of a shame, how is Cotric supposed to be selected as a NSW winger or centre if he's not playing fullback?! :lol:
haha oh right. I must've missed those articles. I still think he'll be our fb rd 1. Gee putting CNK fb is a massive gamble innit?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

There's also been interviews where it's clear sticky has asked Cotric what he wanted to do. Cotric wants to stay on the wing for now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders to have open training sessions on South Coast

The Raiders get into town with a training session from 9am on Wednesday at the Pambula Sporting Complex and a second at the Bega Recreation ground on Friday from 10am.

“We want to buy into the community, all of our training sessions will be open so we would love to see a lot of kids come out and meet the players,” coach Ricky Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.begadistrictnews.com.au/sto ... uth-coast/

Canberra Raiders in Bega

The Canberra Raiders head down to Bega today as they prepare to face the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at Bega Recreation Ground at 5pm. Where to see the Raiders on the South Coast:

Wednesday, 20th February, 9am, Pambula Recreation Ground: Open training session
Thursday, 21st February, Pambula Beach Oval: Players to attend Country Cup High School Gala Day
Friday, 22nd Februrary, Bega Recreation Ground: Open training sesssion

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/02 ... s-in-bega/
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

RedRaider wrote: February 19, 2019, 10:00 am I thought Lui did his job against the Eels. In the first 40 minutes the Raiders had little possession so hit ups are affected due to lack of opportunity. I would be very surprised if Lui is not in the 17 against the Titans in Rd 1.
I expect Lui to be there in round 1 too but on his trial form:
Lui didn't start the match though. Bateman, Hunt, Guler were the starting group. Then Horsburgh, Lui, Sutton and later Collins came on.
Horsburgh was the pick of the bunch. Collins and Hunt also had better trials than Lui.

I don't expect his lack of trial form to see him not picked but he should be producing more for one of the senior guys. That's his job in a trial full of younger players.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If he appears in the mounties trial that might indicate where he stands
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The biggest losers: Canberra Raiders become the NRL's lightest pack

The Canberra Raiders have been trimmed down to become one of the NRL's lightest forward contingents. Excluding hooker Josh Hodgson (94kg) and expected back-up/utility Siliva Havilii (104kg), Canberra's predicted starting and bench forwards will drop from an average of 109 kilos to 103, ranking as the 'smallest' pack in the competition, with the Roosters just ranking in second place.

"You look at factors like mobility there, sometimes it's salary cap issues as well, you know what you want to pay for a player that plays 40 minutes," Peter Mulholland said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/19/big ... ght-packs/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canterbury Bulldogs name 29 man squad to meet Canberra Raiders at Bega

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs will take a squad of 29 players to Bega on Saturday for their trial match with the Canberra Raiders.

Bulldogs squad: Adam Elliott, Aiden Tolman, Chris Smith, Christian Crichton, Corey Harawira-Naera, Danny Fualalo, Dylan Napa, Francis Tualau, Jack Cogger, Jayden Okunbor, Jeremy Marshall-King, Jesse Marschke, John Olive, Josh Jackson, Kerrod Holland, Kieran Foran, Lachlan Lewis, Marcelo Montoya, Michael Lichaa, Morgan Harper, Nick Meaney, Ofahiki Ogden, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Reimis Smith, Renouf To'omaga, Rhyse Martin, Sauaso Sue, Tui Katoa, Will Hopoate

Read more: https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/0 ... ers-trial/
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:The biggest losers: Canberra Raiders become the NRL's lightest pack

The Canberra Raiders have been trimmed down to become one of the NRL's lightest forward contingents. Excluding hooker Josh Hodgson (94kg) and expected back-up/utility Siliva Havilii (104kg), Canberra's predicted starting and bench forwards will drop from an average of 109 kilos to 103, ranking as the 'smallest' pack in the competition, with the Roosters just ranking in second place.

"You look at factors like mobility there, sometimes it's salary cap issues as well, you know what you want to pay for a player that plays 40 minutes," Peter Mulholland said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/19/big ... ght-packs/
"Mulholland takes swipe at Boyd and Paulo"
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Thats no longer the case since Fittler took the radical step of selecting in-form players in their correct position.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like the Raiders are based in Tathra, and had to drive themselves down to the South Coast in small buses... presumably because big buses can't easily get down Brown Mountain!
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

greeneyed wrote:Looks like the Raiders are based in Tathra, and had to drive themselves down to the South Coast in small buses... presumably because big buses can't easily get down Brown Mountain!
ImageImageImage...
“Brown mountain”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

El_Capitano wrote: February 19, 2019, 7:09 pm
greeneyed wrote:Looks like the Raiders are based in Tathra, and had to drive themselves down to the South Coast in small buses... presumably because big buses can't easily get down Brown Mountain!
ImageImageImage...
“Brown mountain”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you never driven from Canberra to the South Coast?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Oh no, you're right, going down the other way. I better take the right road on Thursday!