2019 All Stars: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL Women's All Stars teams named

The NRL Women’s All Stars teams have been named today, ahead of the All Stars match to be played in Melbourne on Friday 15 February.

A host of NRL Premiership players are amongst both teams, together with players that have represented Australia and New Zealand.

NRL General Manager of the Women’s Elite Program, Tiffany Slater, said the match was a welcome return for women’s rugby league in 2019.

"Our women’s game had a landmark year in 2018, following the success of the Rugby League World Cup in 2017, where Australia took on New Zealand in the Final," Ms Slater said.

"It’s great to see the All Stars concept back again in 2019 and looking at the talent across both teams, fans should be set for an exciting match."

The Women’s All Stars match is part of a triple-header of football at AAMI Park, with touch football and the Men’s All Stars match also part of the action.

The Men’s and Women’s All Stars teams will be in Melbourne in the week leading up to the matches on 15 February, with teams taking part in a series of welcome events, community activities and training sessions.

Tickets are on sale, with NRL club member adult tickets starting at $20 and family passes from $45.

General sale tickets start from $25 for an adult and $50 for a family pass.

To purchase tickets, head to www.nrl.com/tickets

For flights, accommodation and tickets to visit Melbourne and attend the matches, head to www.nrl.com/travel

Indigenous Women's All Stars

Akayla McQuire
Amber Pilley
Caitlan Johnston
Jenni-Sue Hoepper
Kandy Kennedy
Kyara Nean
Layla Fauid
Quincy Dodd
Rebecca Young
Samartha Leisha
Shakiah Tungai
Sharon McGrady
Shaylee Bent
Tahlia Hunter
Taleena Simon
Tallisha Harden
Terri-Ann Caine
Tommaya Kelly Sines

Coach: Dean Widders

New Zealand Maori Ferns

Acacia Claridge-Te Iwimate
Amber Kani
Botille Vette-Welsh
Harata (Charlette) Butler
Christyl Stowers
Hilda Mariu
Jonsal Tautari
Kahurangi Peters
Kararaina Wira-Kohu
Kathy Keremete
Kerehitina Matua
Krystal Rota
Rona Peters
Geneva Webber
Tazmin Gray
Te Aroha Hapuku
Tyler Birch
Zahara Temara

Coach: Rusty Matua

NRL media release

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/16/nrl ... ams-named/

Indigenous women's team more experienced than Maori side: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/16/ind ... aori-side/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2019 All Stars: Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana's sister Tazmin Gray picked for Maori Ferns

Canberra Raiders star Jordan Rapana has already picked New Zealand over Queensland, now his sister Tazmin Gray will play for the New Zealand Maori Ferns in the NRL Women's All Stars game in Melbourne on February 15. She played for Queensland in last year's State of Origin game and has been a Jillaroos squad member.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50s10.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has withdrawn from Maori All Stars contention with a knee injury

New Zealand captain Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has been ruled out of contention for the Maori All Stars team with a knee injury. The Panthers star had off-season surgery after returning from a Test series in England with the Kiwis and has announced he needs more time to heal before the season starts.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 78fcb9914d

Video: DWZ 'gutted' to miss All-Stars match: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/24/dwz ... ars-match/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

South Sydney Rabbitohs captain Greg Inglis rules himself out of All Stars game

Greg Inglis has ruled himself out of Indigenous team that will take on New Zealand Maori in the Harvey Norman All Stars clash on February 15.

"It's disappointing that I won't be able to play All Stars but I need to manage the body ahead of the season," Inglis said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/25/gre ... tars-game/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is getting more and more difficult to support these official pre season matches... if the players themselves keep ruling themselves out, it is a signal to the NRL they have to be cancelled.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ash Taylor as well.

Hopefully our withdrawals come through soon.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Instead of scrapping it they should at least try it at the end of season. Grand final week, with this and maybe a 9s comp during the week? NRL HQ would probably just say it would take away from the GF but I think it could only enhance GF week.
Might also have the flow on of stopping or reducing the issues with Mad Monday as it would give the players (and media) something else to focus on.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Indigenous All Stars cop disastrous double blow with injuries to key men

Ash Taylor will join Greg Inglis on the sidelines of the NRL All Stars match, after the halfback was ruled out of the contest after undergoing a surgical procedure. He had an arthroscope on a shoulder this week.

Read more: ://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/indigenous-all ... 04042c72c5
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

You'd think Jack is going get a run now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders forward Joe Tapine named at No. 20 for New Zealand Maori All Stars

Joe Tapine is the only Canberra Raiders player to be named in the upcoming All Stars match between the Indigenous All Stars and the New Zealand Maori All Stars.

Indigenous All Stars: Ben Barba (Cowboys); Blake Ferguson (Eels), James Roberts (Broncos), Latrell Mitchell (Roosters), Josh Addo-Carr (Storm); Cody Walker (Rabbitohs), Tyrone Roberts (Titans); Andrew Fifita (Sharks), Nathan Peats (Titans), TBA, David Fifita (Broncos), Adam Elliott (Bulldogs), Tyrone Peachey (Titans). Interchange: Will Chambers (Storm), Leilani Latu (Titans), Chris Smith (Bulldogs), Alex Johnston (Rabbitohs), Jesse Ramien (Knights), Tyrell Fuimaono (Panthers), Kotoni Staggs (Broncos)

New Zealand Maori All Stars: Peta Hiku (Warriors); Dane Gagai (Rabbitohs), Esan Marsters (Wests Tigers), Dean Whare (Panthers), Jordan Kahu (Broncos); Kalyn Ponga (Knights), Jahrome Hughes (Storm); Jesse Bromwich (Storm), Brandon Smith (Storm), Jordan McLean (Cowboys), Kevin Proctor (Titans), Tohu Harris (Warriors), Adam Blair (Warriors). Interchange: Danny Levi (Knights), Brad Takairangi (Eels), James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), James Tamou (Panthers), Gerard Beale (Warriors), Corey Harawira-Naera (Bulldogs), Joseph Tapine (Raiders)

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/31/lat ... challenge/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

so Gagai is dual heritage? I did not know that all I've ever heard is his passion for his Indigenous heritage.
Maori pack is super strong even missing JWH, Indigenous pack is a real weakness

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Interesting. Lote Tuqiri playing prop for Indigenous All Stars.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Barba out wighton will def be in
:(

With Daley saying he is going to give fergo time in the forwards it really worries me
1. How serious are the players taking this if they are short on positions

2. What kind of risks will the coaches take with the players, you would need to lose a player for more than half the season before the "hodgo compensation " kicks in

3. How serious are they going to train that week? We dont want samoa camp 2.0. Veggies need to be seen at dinner!

Vaccinated
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Do we know what the votes were? Johnson might have got more votes.

I don't think you need to worry about 3 at all. Wighton is a top trainer.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

zim wrote:Do we know what the votes were? Johnson might have got more votes.

It's not based on votes, that was just to make us feel connected....

Vaccinated
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

cat wrote: February 1, 2019, 9:54 pm

Tyrone Peachy at lock is an... interesting coaching choice.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

zim wrote:
cat wrote: February 1, 2019, 9:54 pm

Tyrone Peachy at lock is an... interesting coaching choice.
Taken from the nrl website

'Fan voting for the two sides that will take part in the Harvey Norman All Stars clash opened on Tuesday, with the NRL asking fans to have their say before coaches take that advice on board and select the two teams that will play for the Arthur Beetson Trophy"

As you said interesting coaches picks, makes me worried how professional the whole thing will be and the problems that could occur

Vaccinated
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Bevan French replaces Epic Bender Crew Barba in the Maranta/Turner Cup
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bevan French to replace Ben Barba in Indigenous All Stars side

Parramatta speedster Bevan French has been called up to replace Ben Barba in the Indigenous All Stars team to take on the New Zealand Māori. Joel Thompson (calf), Ryan James (knee) and Ash Taylor (shoulder) have all withdrawn from the Indigenous All Stars line-up, with Dragons youngster Josh Kerr confirmed as James's replacement.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/02/bev ... all-stars/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kenny Bromwich to replace Jordan McLean in Maori All Stars

Jordan McLean has withdrawn from the All Stars due to the ongoing uncertainty around the flooding and weather conditions in North Queensland. Melbourne Storm forward Kenny Bromwich will come into the team, joining his brother Jesse.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/04/jor ... called-in/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Indigenous All Stars v Māori All Stars Preview

Premiership-winner Latrell Mitchell has foregone a trip to the UK for the World Club Challenge in order to represent his culture along with Origin reps including Andrew Fifita, Blake Ferguson, James Roberts, Josh Addo-Carr, Tyrone Peachey and Nathan Peats. Young stars including Jesse Ramien, Kotoni Staggs and highly-rated Brisbane forward David Fifita make their first appearance for the Indigenous side.

They won't have an easy time of it against a Māori side boasting a stack of Test talent including Jesse and Kenny Bromwich, Dane Gagai, Peta Hiku, Adam Blair, Tohu Harris, Kevin Proctor, James Tamou and Dean Whare.

Indigenous All Stars
Bevan French (Eels); Blake Ferguson (Eels), James Roberts (Broncos), Latrell Mitchell (Roosters), Josh Addo-Carr (Storm); Cody Walker (Rabbitohs), Tyrone Roberts (Titans); Andrew Fifita (Sharks), Nathan Peats (Titans), Josh Kerr (Dragons), David Fifita (Broncos), Adam Elliott (Bulldogs), Tyrone Peachey (Titans). Interchange: Will Chambers (Storm), Leilani Latu (Titans), Chris Smith (Bulldogs), Alex Johnston (Rabbitohs), Jesse Ramien (Knights), Tyrell Fuimaono (Panthers), Kotoni Staggs (Broncos).

New Zealand Māori All Stars
Peta Hiku (Warriors); Dane Gagai (Rabbitohs), Esan Marsters (Wests Tigers), Dean Whare (Panthers), Jordan Kahu (Broncos); Kalyn Ponga (Knights), Jahrome Hughes (Storm); Jesse Bromwich (Storm), Brandon Smith (Storm), James Tamou (Panthers), Kevin Proctor (Titans), Tohu Harris (Warriors), Adam Blair (Warriors). Interchange:Danny Levi (Knights), Brad Takairangi (Eels), James Fisher-Harris (Panthers), Gerard Beale (Warriors), Corey Harawira-Naera (Bulldogs), Joseph Tapine (Raiders), Kenny Bromwich (Cowboys)

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/09/ind ... s-preview/

Indigenous Women's All Stars
1. Tahlia Hunter, 2. Terri Ann Cain, 3. Amber Pilley, 4. Shaylee Bent, 5. Shakiah Tungai, 6. Quincy Dodd, 7. Sharon McGrady, 8. Rebecca Young, 9. Akayla McQuire, 10. Layla Fauid, 11. Samartha Leisha, 12. Caitlan Johnston, 13. Kandy Kennedy. Interchange: 14. Tallisha Harden 15. Kyara Nean, 16. Regan Hart, 17. Tommaya Kelly Sines, 18. Layna Nona Busch. Coach: Dean Widders.

Maori Ferns
1. Botille Vette-Welsh, 2. Hilda (Mariu) Peters, 3. Jonsal Tautari, 4. Amber Kani, 5. Tyler Birch, 6. Zahara Temara, 7. Teeaye Hapuku, 8. Kararaina Wira, 9. Krystal Rota (c), 10. Kahurangi Peters, 11. Geneva Webber, 12. Tazmin Gray, 13. Rona Peters (c). Interchange: 14. Christyl Stowers, 15. Kathleen (Wharton) Keremete, 16. Charlette (Harata) Butler, 17. Kerehitina Matua, 18. Acacia Claridge-Te Iwimate.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/09/ind ... s-preview/

We have our own team: The true significance of All Stars: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/11/we- ... all-stars/

Indigenous All Stars James Roberts, Jesse Ramien and Bevan French reflect on the smoking ceremony which marked the start of their Harvey Norman All Stars preparation: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/11/smo ... ous-preps/

Video: NZ Maori coach Stacey Jones has elected Adam Blair to lead his side and says Kalyn Ponga may spend time at fullback as well as five-eighth: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/11/cal ... ead-maori/

Video: Dane Gagai talks about his welcome into New Zealand Maori camp ahead of the Harvey Norman All Stars: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/11/gag ... aori-camp/

Video: Indigenous All Stars Amber Pilley and Tallisha Harden are loving life under coaches Dean Widders and Scott Prince ahead of the NRL Harvey Norman All Stars match on Friday: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/11/ind ... ing-staff/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Teams named... doesn’t look like Joe a Tapine will get much game time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Good.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I have to say I love this concept MUCH more than the original All-Stars format. I dunno, I just never could get behind the All-Stars team, and feel like Indigenous vs Maoris makes so much more sense.

Also interesting to see Garvey make the Indigenous team. Can't wait to see him have a breakout year this year, rub it in all our faces.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:I have to say I love this concept MUCH more than the original All-Stars format. I dunno, I just never could get behind the All-Stars team, and feel like Indigenous vs Maoris makes so much more sense.

Also interesting to see Garvey make the Indigenous team. Can't wait to see him have a breakout year this year, rub it in all our faces.
I don't see him in the team lists above?? Who is he playing for (NRL)

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha how about you look again??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Students represent Canberra Raiders at Indigenous Youth Summit

Four students have been selected to represent the Canberra Raiders at the Indigenous Youth Summit held in Melbourne this week.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/02 ... th-summit/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Haha how about you look again??
Sure I can see his name in one of the later lists but it doesn't tell me which NRL side he is linked with?

Edit sort it out Nickman. Tks xoxo
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Thanks Zim. Be interesting to see if he actually gets much game time. Friend must be about 30 and does a heap of work so could possibly get a few spells this year. He (Friend) looked down on form last year but finished the season strongly.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

If Friend stays fit I can't see him getting any.
Baptiste didn't get a whole lot last year even when Friend was down on form and Baptiste is built for that impact slot.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:Teams named... doesn’t look like Joe a Tapine will get much game time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Heard he’s been selected on the proviso he gets no more than 25 mins
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The Nickman wrote: February 12, 2019, 10:51 am I have to say I love this concept MUCH more than the original All-Stars format. I dunno, I just never could get behind the All-Stars team, and feel like Indigenous vs Maoris makes so much more sense.

With Hodgson at the helm I don’t see how anything Garvey does could possibly be rubbing it in our face.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Fairly strong looking Indigenous side. But their bench is mainly backs ?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: February 13, 2019, 7:27 am
The Nickman wrote: February 12, 2019, 10:51 am I have to say I love this concept MUCH more than the original All-Stars format. I dunno, I just never could get behind the All-Stars team, and feel like Indigenous vs Maoris makes so much more sense.

With Hodgson at the helm I don’t see how anything Garvey does could possibly be rubbing it in our face.
Wot? I think there's a pretty big dubby going on here, Julez.