Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

edwahu

Re: Jack Wighton set for

Post by edwahu »

Ruben Daley wrote: January 27, 2019, 7:33 pm
edwahu wrote: January 25, 2019, 2:14 pm
gergreg wrote: January 25, 2019, 12:47 pm The Wighton/Abbey/Williams discussion has been done to death. My main hope is that Abbey has thickened up a little or the club has opened up the purse strings and bought him a smaller jersey. He deadset looked like a gangly 15 y/o wearing some oversized pyjamas last year.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Can anyone remember a player who would be good for us if they bulked up ever actually bulking up, let alone getting better? There must be two or three this line gets trotted out for every year but I can't remember any who actually managed to do it.
I remember Rapa saying he put on 4kg one offseason. Pretty sure it was prior to 2016.

At his age and with his frame, Abbey could do that too.
Sure, but Rapana was already good and no one raised that he needed to add any. It gets said about a lot of players who aren't good and even if it does happen I don't think it ever ends up overcoming that.

Maybe Troy Thompson or Furner? Steve Price is one I would think it worked for in the wider league.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

edwahu wrote: January 27, 2019, 9:24 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: January 27, 2019, 7:33 pm
edwahu wrote: January 25, 2019, 2:14 pm
gergreg wrote: January 25, 2019, 12:47 pm The Wighton/Abbey/Williams discussion has been done to death. My main hope is that Abbey has thickened up a little or the club has opened up the purse strings and bought him a smaller jersey. He deadset looked like a gangly 15 y/o wearing some oversized pyjamas last year.

Can anyone remember a player who would be good for us if they bulked up ever actually bulking up, let alone getting better? There must be two or three this line gets trotted out for every year but I can't remember any who actually managed to do it.
I remember Rapa saying he put on 4kg one offseason. Pretty sure it was prior to 2016.

At his age and with his frame, Abbey could do that too.
Sure, but Rapana was already good and no one raised that he needed to add any. It gets said about a lot of players who aren't good and even if it does happen I don't think it ever ends up overcoming that.

Maybe Troy Thompson or Furner? Steve Price is one I would think it worked for in the wider league.
Yeah, true. I was thinking more about it being possible for Abbey to do and how getting up to the 93-94kg mark puts him about the same as Jack. He wouldn’t be mandhandled so easily at that size.

I agree that no one has ever got to first grade then bulked up and transformed from ordinary to awesome. I actually reckon there’s a tipping point where too much bulk becomes a negative. Dugan was heaps better when he was wiry-strong before he got big. Admittedly, the mental side was probably more a factor with him.

I just think Abbey isn’t quite the write-off he’s been made out to be. He had a few bad handling errors but so did Rapa initially, and he was outmuscled a fair bit, hence why putting on a few kilos might help. I’m not expecting much but I think it’s possible he could be solid this season.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Jack Wighton set for "shock" switch in Raiders shake-up

Post by SeeBee101 »

Anyone heard that Simonsson might get first crack at FB? The rumour came from FB but from what i've seen of him, I wouldn't mind if he gets a go in the trials.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Mark Zuckerberg hasn't heard of him..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

SeeBee101 wrote: January 30, 2019, 8:31 am Anyone heard that Simonsson might get first crack at FB? The rumour came from FB but from what i've seen of him, I wouldn't mind if he gets a go in the trials.
I think it is more likely... if he gets promoted to the top 30... that he'd be winger. But I think you'll find players are training in multiple positions, and I've no doubt Simonsson has had a run at fullback at training. And hopefully, we fill at least one remaining top 30 spot with a player like a Dylan Edwards.
SeeBee101
David Grant

Post by SeeBee101 »

I hope so, getting very worried that we are done with recruitment. Surely we still need another backup winger and a spine player (5/8 or FB)....

What's the bet we run with Abbey at FB :-S
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The backup winger has to happen, otherwise we are just throwing away free money from Rapana's exemption. Anything else is very long odds in my opinion.
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Watching raiders vs Titans , 2nd game of last year, jacky boi just smashed a 2nd rower like it was nothing and got up with a massive smile on his face, so I’m starting to come around with him playing in the front line if it a defensive strategy
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

‘I’ll do the running’: Wighton reveals Sticky’s halves plans

Jack Wighton has confirmed he’ll be partnering Aidan Sezer in the halves for the Green Machine in 2019.

“I think when I got chucked in there [at five eighth] all those years ago, I wasn’t ready,” he told said. “I’ve been at the back [since then] and I’m an older footy head, I’ve been around a little bit longer, so I think it just helps me slow the game down a little bit more and I should be able to take the challenge on.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... a37489c55e

VIDEO: Wighton set for switch to six

Long-term Canberra Raiders fullback Jack Wighton talks about the prospect of playing alongside Aidan Sezer in the halves for 2019.

Video: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/11/wig ... ch-to-six/
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Gives Sezer the keys

This will be do or die for him
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I’m stocking up on Popcorn for this train wreck

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

This is our best option.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

For it to work I think we need to see Whitehead play that link man role so Wighton doesn’t get hemmed in
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

gangrenous wrote: January 24, 2019, 6:51 am I don’t know that Abbey at 1 beats Sam at 7 defensively Image
He won't unless he has added 7-10kg, and built on his aerobic fitness. Very difficult to manage both in one offseason.
w3b3d1g1
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: Jack Wighton confirms switch to five eighth

Post by w3b3d1g1 »

It will all be meaningless unless we find him a proper half back. Sezer is an overrated joke and Williams clearly lacks faith of many of the vocal fans. I would feel Wighton Williams or Hingano is a premiership winning combination if the team fires and our world class forwards pave the way. With Sezer though, top8 would be a major achievement.
w3b3d1g1
David Shillington

Post by w3b3d1g1 »

SeeBee101 wrote: January 30, 2019, 10:14 am I hope so, getting very worried that we are done with recruitment. Surely we still need another backup winger and a spine player (5/8 or FB)....

What's the bet we run with Abbey at FB :-S
Charnze is fullback. Pretty sure this has been confirmed and part the reason why he came over. I give Sezer 4 games or he has to go. Williams is a far better organiser and Hingano is still untested.
w3b3d1g1
David Shillington

Post by w3b3d1g1 »

-TW- wrote: February 11, 2019, 8:25 am Gives Sezer the keys

This will be do or die for him
How many rounds before we see him in Mounties you reckon?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Canberra Raiders five-eighth Jack Wighton focussing on kicking

Standing at 189 centimetres, slotting back into the defensive line has been pretty easy for Jack Wighton, but it's been his kicking game that's been his major focus in returning to the Canberra Raiders' five-eighth role.

"That's been one of my main focuses is my kick. If I can build a confident game around my kick then everything else will be fine off the back of that," he said. "Defence hasn't been too much of a problem. It's actually been quite fun being back in the line so looking forward to it."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50wyo.html
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It seems everything I thought Ricky shouldn't actually do with Wighton is indeed what he is doing. Imagine my **** surprise.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I'm all for it. I've said it before, I think we're giving ourselves the best chance to win games with this move to strengthen the defensive line. And I think his running game is going to be much stronger than Austin's so that's another tick for me.

I'm not sure why people are fussed about the Sezer commentary, no side with Hodgson at 9 is going to lean heavily on the halves to organise and create the play. He just has to do his job defensively and get early ball to the edges.

It can't be a bad thing that Jack is working on his kicking, it's another option and there is no downside to him being in the mix there.

I just want the footy to start now, it's all just talk and speculation now on how we'll fare.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Excited for

*checks notes*

w3b3d1g1‘s first season. He/she is coming in HOT!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Surely he is still a 3rd choice kicker. Sezer 1, Hodgo 2.
Its a skill he needs to improve given his position.
TBH, not much to see here.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Can sort of see Wighton having a similar kicking game to Austin, used for the big kicks and mid field bombs but not so much the short grubbers in goals.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Woodgers wrote:I'm all for it. I've said it before, I think we're giving ourselves the best chance to win games with this move to strengthen the defensive line. And I think his running game is going to be much stronger than Austin's so that's another tick for me.

I'm not sure why people are fussed about the Sezer commentary, no side with Hodgson at 9 is going to lean heavily on the halves to organise and create the play. He just has to do his job defensively and get early ball to the edges.

It can't be a bad thing that Jack is working on his kicking, it's another option and there is no downside to him being in the mix there.

I just want the footy to start now, it's all just talk and speculation now on how we'll fare.
We saw first-hand what expanding Austin's role in the side did to his game over the past 2 seasons. That may not be the sole reason for the drop in form, we'll probably never know, but it cannot be coincidental that the very season after they came out and said that Austin was working a lot on his kicking and ball play he started stinking it up.

Even more frustrating, for me at least, when it is obvious and has been demonstrated that Sezer is a far better kicker; and will be so when compared to Wighton. Give Sezer the bloody reins to be the lead half for God's sake. If he cannot perform that role, get rid of him, but at least give him a proper go at it - instead of trying to convert a wing/centre who was then converted into a fullback and now into a 5/8.

Let me just clarify that I don't have a problem with Wighton improving his kicking. I want him to be the second choice kicker though. Unless hoofing it out from our own 20 metre line Sezer should be kicking. The only other caveat being the occasional attacking kick from Hodgo. Too many times over the past 2 years Austin did the kicking when Sezer was also in a position to take the kick.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Austin took the drop outs and despite being rubbish at it, took the kick offs as well. So there is a hole to fill in those roles.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I think Wighton will be the 3rd choice kicker behind Sezer and Hodgson. I think Hodgson will be more likely to look for Sezer given the choice, i'm not sure it is fair to lay on Ricky the fact that Blake Austin clearly overestimated his abilities and wanted to be the king pin of the whole side when he was never going to be. I know i'm playing with fire with this prediction but I reckon Ricky will keep it pretty simple for Jack :D .
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Can’t wait for Ricky to trot out the old line that Jack is developing into that role and we need to be patient to buy him some time.

In Ricky We Trust
buram
Brett Mullins

Post by buram »

I love Jack at 5/8!!

We have been consistently one of the best attacking team's in the comp the last few years.

Jack adds starch to our defense in a position that was hurting us badly, I am looking forward to seeing him smash people and save a bucket load of tries.

Well done Sticky!!
I know who I am, Do you know who you are?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Brew wrote: February 11, 2019, 4:48 pm Can’t wait for Ricky to trot out the old line that Jack is developing into that role and we need to be patient to buy him some time.

Sticky would not make necessary changes last year with sluggish props. If he does go down this path with Jack he will hold to it regardless of results. Whatever happens he knows he has a contract next year as he has emphasized in the off season.

I remember him saying Jack was one of the best FBs in the game and now he is a 5/8. Time will tell and it leaves the FB position wide open.
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

I’d be more than fine with this if Rapana was fit. Last year it was Hodgo, Crokes the year before - It just goes to show you there is a huge element of luck that goes into building momentum and piecing together a season.

Can the season just start already?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Only just dawned on me that both Sezer and Wighton are left handed/footed so I guess from a kicking point of view it doesn’t matter which side each are predominantly on, so I’m thinking Wighton will mostly be on the left hand side (often chiming in on the right as 2nd receiver on attacking plays too)
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The worst halves combination in the comp just got worse
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Sid wrote: February 11, 2019, 9:37 pm Only just dawned on me that both Sezer and Wighton are left handed/footed so I guess from a kicking point of view it doesn’t matter which side each are predominantly on, so I’m thinking Wighton will mostly be on the left hand side (often chiming in on the right as 2nd receiver on attacking plays too)
I've always wondered about this, because I've never seen why it would matter what foot you kicked off - if Wighton is left footed, he can play on the right and the natural curl will be off towards the right wing. Except that Hodgson as a right footer clearly spears it off the laces so it also curls towards the right wing.

Someone with a bigger brain might correct me but it isn't necessarily what foot you kick it with, but what part of the foot you kick it with and what kick you use that determines where the ball goes.

Which leads me to suggest that Sezer will stay on the left and Jack will just be Austin on the right. With a better tackle...
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Lui_Bon wrote: February 11, 2019, 9:57 pm
Sid wrote: February 11, 2019, 9:37 pm Only just dawned on me that both Sezer and Wighton are left handed/footed so I guess from a kicking point of view it doesn’t matter which side each are predominantly on, so I’m thinking Wighton will mostly be on the left hand side (often chiming in on the right as 2nd receiver on attacking plays too)
I've always wondered about this, because I've never seen why it would matter what foot you kicked off - if Wighton is left footed, he can play on the right and the natural curl will be off towards the right wing. Except that Hodgson as a right footer clearly spears it off the laces so it also curls towards the right wing.

Someone with a bigger brain might correct me but it isn't necessarily what foot you kick it with, but what part of the foot you kick it with and what kick you use that determines where the ball goes.

Which leads me to suggest that Sezer will stay on the left and Jack will just be Austin on the right. With a better tackle...
There’s a reason why teams kick to the same touchline as the side of the ruck they take the pass on - angles, and power. Kicking across your body or back across the ruck loses you distance, and increases chances of a charge down. And the risk of kicking with the “wrong” foot (ie. sezer standing on the right side of the ruck and kicking left footed towards the right touchline) increases your chances of our on the full if you get it a bit off the instep.

If the raiders had any football brains and planned their sets coming out of their own end (you know, just like how we are so great at setting up for field goals), they would ideally finish their 5th tackle on the right side of the field for a long kick off the left side of the ruck.

But in terms of playmaking - i would be extremely surprised if Jack isn’t on the left. He’s already playing out of position, we’ve seen he’s not anywhere near as comfortable chiming into backline moves and setting up his outside teammates in the right.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I'm struggling to think of the halves who have improved under Sticky. Jack could be either a 'first' or another experiment gone wrong.
First on my list for team improvement is our defence. The team is more mobile. Will that translate into an improved team defensive performance. We can only hope so. Every team defensive line gets broken. It then gets down to turn and chase, scramble defence and a FB who can make one on one tackles.

I know Abbey based on 2018 form is not the answer. I hope Charnze can do it. Or if defence is the focus put Cotric at FB and go all out defensive.