What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2019 line up?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2019 line up?

Post by julian87 »

H didn’t play fullback at all for Mounties mainly centre
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Cnk will be our 1 come round one.
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ok, I guess Oldfield has slightly more experience in FG but if this guy was a FB/WING/HALF then he seems to have the better game for FB.

We might see Wighton still run that sweep that made our left so deadly exactly the same and this guy just has to catch the bombs and support the ball and run hard when he gets it. That's be simple enough...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote: February 6, 2019, 8:02 am I had to laugh at the news report about Wighton to 5/8th.

“It’s a position not unfamiliar to Wighton, with the 25-year-old having started there in nine games in 2014. Wighton also hasn’t been shy to put boot to ball, averaging six kicks and 197 metres per game.”

Problem was those six kicks were from inside the 10 metre zone.
:lol:
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Matt wrote:I will re-address my side, because it was based on the Abbey vs Williams theory for that final spine spot. Now that we have CNK it changes things.

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. BJ
5. Oldie
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Sia
9. Hodgo
10. Papa
11. Tarpz
12. Whitey
13. JBateo

14. Havili
15. Guler
16. Sutton
17. Lui
Exactly my team now aswell. The abbey/Williams issue was doing my head in. Let the new kid have a shot at the 1 and make it his own. As stated before, all he’ll really need to do is catch bombs, support well and get his defensive positioning right. Wighton can still handle all his usual old fullback/five-eighth offensive plays.
Very happy with this signing, would love Dylan Edwards to come aswell but I very much doubt it now after this signing. Promote the simmonsen (spelling?) kid and give him a good year of Mounties to see what he’s got. Took a while but we finally got a singing to be a little excited over Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

CHuNK.

I like it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

BadnMean wrote:Ok, I guess Oldfield has slightly more experience in FG but if this guy was a FB/WING/HALF then he seems to have the better game for FB.

We might see Wighton still run that sweep that made our left so deadly exactly the same and this guy just has to catch the bombs and support the ball and run hard when he gets it. That's be simple enough...
That is a very simplistic view of a modern day fullbacks role.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RTW wrote: February 9, 2019, 9:32 am
BadnMean wrote:Ok, I guess Oldfield has slightly more experience in FG but if this guy was a FB/WING/HALF then he seems to have the better game for FB.

That is a very simplistic view of a modern day fullbacks role.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yes. I'm hoping we give the rookie a very simple brief at first and let the rest look after itself.

Marshalling the defensive line would be the other big gig amongst a dozen other things but I wasn't trying to list every facet of modern FB play- looking at his footage, those are areas he is good at, so go do them. Once he's settled and playing solid, expand his brief.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Assuming no more additions this is IMO our best lineup.

1. Rapa (CNK or Oldfield until Rapa is fit)
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. BJ
5. Oldfield/CNK
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Lui
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Sutton
16. Sia
17. Guler

18. Bateman
19. Williams
20. Horsburg
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bailey Simonsson and Charnze Nicol Klokstadt started at fullback today in the opposed session. Michael Oldfield and Brad Abbey also too a turn... but CNK played the whole session there. There are two top 30 slots left and it won’t surprise if Simonsson takes one.

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: February 9, 2019, 11:55 am Bailey Simonsson and Charnze Nicol Klokstadt started at fullback today in the opposed session. Michael Oldfield and Brad Abbey also too a turn... but CNK played the whole session there. There are two top 30 slots left and it won’t surprise if Simonsson takes one.

I saw him and Rapa arrive as I left. I dont remember him suiting up.

Simonsson looked really good
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Guys, CNZ will be 1 unless he's abducted by aliens

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

If he can catch a bomb, hold onto the ball during kick returns, back up the ball carrier and doesn't avoid contact in defence like bloody Reece Robinson I guess he can do a job for us.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:Bailey Simonsson and Charnze Nicol Klokstadt started at fullback today in the opposed session. Michael Oldfield and Brad Abbey also too a turn... but CNK played the whole session there. There are two top 30 slots left and it won’t surprise if Simonsson takes one.

And what were your thoughts on what you saw GE?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: February 9, 2019, 3:46 pm
greeneyed wrote:Bailey Simonsson and Charnze Nicol Klokstadt started at fullback today in the opposed session. Michael Oldfield and Brad Abbey also too a turn... but CNK played the whole session there. There are two top 30 slots left and it won’t surprise if Simonsson takes one.

They both looked OK. Abbey was producing errors and Oldfield... he's "solid".
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2019 line up?

Post by Sid »

Oh there are 2 left, I thought there was just one. I think this has been asked before, but I wonder if Simonsen would be eligible/suitable for the Rapana cover contract.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: February 9, 2019, 4:30 pm

Oh there are 2 left, I thought there was just one. I think this has been asked before, but I wonder if Simonsen would be eligible/suitable for the Rapana cover contract.
I don't see why not.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Upgrading Simonsson now is just throwing money and flexibility away. If injuries get bad enough we want to play him and haven't found a better signing then just upgrade him at that time.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Do we have to fill the 30 before rnd 1

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Dusty wrote: February 9, 2019, 5:21 pm Do we have to fill the 30 before rnd 1

No, June 30
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But we need 29 at season's kick off don't we?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Oldfield is a solid back up winger.
Abbey will fade into the sunset.
Charnze? My guess is he'll be akin to Abbey. Maybe slightly better

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

greeneyed wrote: February 9, 2019, 5:31 pm But we need 29 at season's kick off don't we?
Yep. I had thought it was 1 spot as well, if it's 2 and they think he is the best they can do it does make sense to upgrade him.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

greeneyed wrote:
Dusty wrote: February 9, 2019, 3:46 pm

They both looked OK. Abbey was producing errors and Oldfield... he's "solid".
There’s just nothing to get excited about this year. The team is all over the place, players out of position... it’s going to be a long season

BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

This is my side for round 1 assuming there isn't any more signings.

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J.Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Guler
17. Collins
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BVRaider wrote: February 10, 2019, 6:09 pm This is my side for round 1 assuming there isn't any more signings.

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J.Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Guler
17. Collins
JJ over Lui or any of the rookies. Please elaborate
BVRaider
David Grant
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by BVRaider »

Matt wrote: February 10, 2019, 8:13 pm
BVRaider wrote: February 10, 2019, 6:09 pm This is my side for round 1 assuming there isn't any more signings.

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J.Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Guler
17. Collins
You know what you're going to get with Lui and it's not much, he tries hard but just doesn't have it between the ears. Collins is only 22 and has looked solid in his first grade appearances but has had his trouble with injuries, I would rather give him a chance to deliver on his potential with us than go with Lui. As for the rookies, Horsburgh will get his chance eventually this season after playing for Mounties and Guler is still basically a rookie anyway.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Soliola/Lui
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. J. Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Papalii

14. Havili
15. Soliola/Lui
16. Guler
17. Sutton/Horsburgh

I'm feeling a lot more confident about our forward pack than I was at the start of the pre-season. I think the added mobility will allow for better defence. Now I'm a big fan of Tapine in the second row but considering the balance of our squad, I think it would be best for him to head back to front row. I feel that Bateman and Whitehead will do a solid job for us on the edges and if one gets injured, Tapine slots straight back in. Papalii is at 13 because he's our longest standing forward and needs to be a leader in the pack alongside Whitehead... those two should keep their positions imo. On starting Soliola or Lui, there are merits both ways so I'm undecided.

In the backs, I think the main question mark is who will be playing fullback. I can't have Abbey or Oldfield there so I'm gonna give Nicoll-Klokstad first shot round 1 and give him a proper go at it.

My interchange is then padded out with Havili and Guler (who I thought definitely showed enough in his first grade appearances last year to be given another shot off the interchange), and one of Sutton or Horsburgh.

With Collins, Murchie, L. Bateman, Hunt and Makatoa as reserves, we've got some good depth in the forwards. Williams, Abbey, Oldfield when Rapana returns, Hingano when he's back from injury and possibly Simonsson is ok for back up in the backline, though a tad thin. We're also missing a third string hooker.

We really needed a guy like Edwards to fill the fullback spot which sadly doesn't look like happening after the Nicoll-Klokstad signing. That would have had me confident of being able to compete seriously this season. I think this team could do a job but so many unknown variables are gonna have to fall in to place for things to work out.

A lot of our success will be dependent on whether the changes in our forward pack will actually lift our defence and how Nicoll-Klokstad goes at fullback (if that's how we end up lining up come round 1). We should be ok with Wighton at 6 unless he's absolute dog **** there. If that team can hit the ground running from round 1 with minimal disruption through changes in the lineup (aside from Rapana returning which would just be a straight swap for Oldfield and allowing for changes in starting and interchange middle forward positions based on performance), then we're playing finals footy. If the team is chopped and changed through players not performing, then we're in for another long season.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

The main thing that had me stressing out this pre-season was the possibility of having to use Abbey or Williams as a starting player for at least a large portion of the season... now that it's looking like they will probably remain as injury fill ins, I'm feeling a lot calmer.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BVRaider wrote: February 10, 2019, 9:20 pm
Matt wrote: February 10, 2019, 8:13 pm

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. J.Bateman

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Guler
17. Collins
You know what you're going to get with Lui and it's not much, he tries hard but just doesn't have it between the ears. Collins is only 22 and has looked solid in his first grade appearances but has had his trouble with injuries, I would rather give him a chance to deliver on his potential with us than go with Lui. As for the rookies, Horsburgh will get his chance eventually this season after playing for Mounties and Guler is still basically a rookie anyway.
Im ok with that theory.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Josh Hodgson
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Sia Soliola
9. Michael Ennis (c)
10. Josh Papalii
11. Joseph Tapine
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. John Bateman

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Dunamis Lui
17. Ryan Sutton
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Didnt we sign a 3rd string hooker from Newcastle??
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Tom Starling, train and trial
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

1-Nicoll-Klokstad
2-Cotric
3-Croker (c)
4-Leilua
5-Oldfield [Rapana]
6-Wighton
7-Sezer
8-Papalli
9-Hodgson (c)
10-Guler
11-Whitehead
12-Tapine
13-J.Bateman

14-Havili
15-Lui
16-Sutton
17-Soliola

That's my Rd.1 assuming no further signings.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt wrote: February 8, 2019, 6:20 pm I will re-address my side, because it was based on the Abbey vs Williams theory for that final spine spot. Now that we have CNK it changes things.

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. BJ
5. Oldie
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Sia
9. Hodgo
10. Papa
11. Tarpz
12. Whitey
13. JBateo

14. Havili
15. Guler
16. Sutton
17. Lui
With Simonsson being upgraded to Top 30, better make #1. CNK/ Simonsson - whomever wins the battle here. Simonsson was impressive at the Fan Day, not to be harsh on CNK given he had only been in Canberra for 24hrs and was likely his 1st training session here.