All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Rapana looking to extend time with Canberra Raiders

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Jordan Rapana looking to extend time with Canberra Raiders

It's another boost the Canberra Raiders in the lead-up to their bid to return to NRL finals, with star winger Jordan pledging he wants to stay in his home-away-from-home.

"I haven't spoken to my manager too much. Obviously I want to stay here - I just got engaged, the missus is from here and this has become my home-away-from-home so I absolutely love it down here - so ideally this is where I want to be," Rapana said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50wti.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Rapana looking to extend time with Canberra Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like he could be back sooner than expected based on those quotes.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm confident he'll stay

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

If they think he will be back sooner and Im sure that is what they are hoping then that would be the reason why we haven't spent the compensation money.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

That sounds about right and would be a very sensible move from the club.
Dont delete this GE
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

does he move to Fullback when he returns
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

That’s gonna depend on a few things I think...

A) how good is CNK going...

B) how is the Jack in halves take 2 going...

C) is BJ his usual destructive self or does he look lost in attack/defence or even markedly better in defence somehow with Oldy there...
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Get it done Donny 🙂.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

good news and probably explains why we haven't spent the dispensation

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'd extend Rapanas contract if he only had one arm.

Very happy to hear he's happy.

#happyhappyhappy
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

sacrilege i know... but depending on what the goals of the club actually are... if the goal is to win a premiership, i wouldnt rush to extend Rapana.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Pigman wrote: February 11, 2019, 8:26 am sacrilege i know... but depending on what the goals of the club actually are... if the goal is to win a premiership, i wouldnt rush to extend Rapana.
I get it- he’ll be a 31/32 yr outside back by then... not someone you want on top dollar.

It depends if he ends up at fullback- where he could have a great 2 or 3 years given his attitude and relative lack of footy...

Or come back to the pack as a good winger with a bung shoulder...

I’d hold off a little while 🤷‍♀️
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm going to sit on the fence with this one. He has consistently been our best contributor on a week to week basis for a few years now. The gap between his good and great games are slim. I use good and great because it's tough to remember his last bad game. Edit: to clarify - he has had a bad game or two because things just haven't gone his way, not through lack of effort.
He is exactly the type of player that deserves a nice upgrade, over douche bags like Dugan for example who have used a good patch of form to leverage the club.

But like the 2 posters before me I don't know that it's great cap management. Unless you find some other way to pay the man. He should be more of a cult figure in Canberra. He is exactly the type of player that the community would warm to. Get the bloke some nice TPAs and an under the table handshake agreement for a role of his playing days are over.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

If the club has found some way to sign good players we could probably hold off. At the moment though playing hard ball probably ends with us signing a reserve grader to replace him.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gergreg wrote: February 11, 2019, 11:15 am I'm going to sit on the fence with this one. He has consistently been our best contributor on a week to week basis for a few years now. The gap between his good and great games are slim. I use good and great because it's tough to remember his last bad game. Edit: to clarify - he has had a bad game or two because things just haven't gone his way, not through lack of effort.
He is exactly the type of player that deserves a nice upgrade, over douche bags like Dugan for example who have used a good patch of form to leverage the club.

But like the 2 posters before me I don't know that it's great cap management. Unless you find some other way to pay the man. He should be more of a cult figure in Canberra. He is exactly the type of player that the community would warm to. Get the bloke some nice TPAs and an under the table handshake agreement for a role of his playing days are over.
Yep, this is a tough one. I agree that it's cap suicide to overpay on the outside backs.

But....well, the points have to come from somewhere and if we lose him, there's no way we'll replace him for even close to the same level of player.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Have gone on record a few times in here before... he is the best fullback in the club, by a street. You only have to look at the way he’s played when filling in there, and the way he pops up in the middle of the ground even when playing on the wing.

Not surprising given that’s where he played all his junior football.

He’s a wholehearted guy who wants his hands on the ball, is rarely out of position, and is good under the high ball.

Give him the #1 jumper, and “pay...that man... his money”
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's REALLY tough, because Rapana is both an elite player, arguably the best in his position, and a very good club man who provides the fan base with a really good, fun loving bloke you can cheer on and constantly delivers highlights... he's the sort of guy you want to have and want to pay... but yeah the cap implications of paying top dollar for a winger in his 30's... yeah i dont know.

We need to find a way to upgrade the positions that make the difference in this league. And we need cap space to do that. A lot of it.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Yea I don't know if he'd definitely be a top class fullback but I want to see it, good support player, committed defender, have seen him throw some nice cut out balls and can even kick 40/20's...
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Pigman wrote: February 11, 2019, 12:04 pm It's REALLY tough, because Rapana is both an elite player, arguably the best in his position, and a very good club man who provides the fan base with a really good, fun loving bloke you can cheer on and constantly delivers highlights... he's the sort of guy you want to have and want to pay... but yeah the cap implications of paying top dollar for a winger in his 30's... yeah i dont know.

We need to find a way to upgrade the positions that make the difference in this league. And we need cap space to do that. A lot of it.
IMO we'd be better off looking at a centre to free up cash given all our options in that position(Croker, BJ, Cotric, Wighton, J Bateman)
second row and wing probably next spots you look to
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Cap management is a huge bug-bear, a lot of us bemoan it on here because we’ve done it the wrong way compared to other clubs, no doubt.

But I believe Rapana is the best rugby league player in our backline. His talents are wasted on the wing. We’ve persisted with it because of the Leipana thing, but it’s now time to put him in a spine position where he will get more touches of the ball. That will offset any bump in salary we give him (he’s already on overs for a winger).

From a cap point of view, if we needed space for a war chest I would punt every other member of the backline before Raps (especially our likely overpaid centres - the least important position in modern football).

But it’s about more than 1 or 2 transactions of dumping salary ... we would have to be ruthless in moving on a fair few of our squad, commit to paying big money for the next truly elite half available, and then build around him with cheaper pieces that have upside. The club has to show a bit of longer term planning, rather than just sign whoever we can get year to year.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Not to mention- resigning or upgrading players (and head coaches, grrr) well before is absolutely necessary. It’s this fear based decision making that puts these players on overs in the first place!!!!
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Elite wingers do make a difference in the NRL. Secondly, Rapana has been our top 3 best player for a couple of years. Just don't overpay him. Certainly don't let him go. Just because he could get more money on the open market with a desperate club doesn't mean he is going to do that. Like the article says, he wants to be here and there's more to it than football, his fiance is from Canberra and has a pretty good job/career in Canberra.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

mamando wrote: February 11, 2019, 11:58 am Have gone on record a few times in here before... he is the best fullback in the club, by a street. You only have to look at the way he’s played when filling in there, and the way he pops up in the middle of the ground even when playing on the wing.

Not surprising given that’s where he played all his junior football.

He’s a wholehearted guy who wants his hands on the ball, is rarely out of position, and is good under the high ball.

Give him the #1 jumper, and “pay...that man... his money”
With Wighton pretty much confirming a shift to 5/8th, Rapa is definitely our best option at fullback.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Upgrade him and give him the #1

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Dont upgrade him, but give him the 1 jersey.
Dont delete this GE
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think he is probably not on crazy money compared to some others. I'd guess 400k range?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: February 11, 2019, 12:12 pm
Pigman wrote: February 11, 2019, 12:04 pm It's REALLY tough, because Rapana is both an elite player, arguably the best in his position, and a very good club man who provides the fan base with a really good, fun loving bloke you can cheer on and constantly delivers highlights... he's the sort of guy you want to have and want to pay... but yeah the cap implications of paying top dollar for a winger in his 30's... yeah i dont know.

IMO we'd be better off looking at a centre to free up cash given all our options in that position(Croker, BJ, Cotric, Wighton, J Bateman)
second row and wing probably next spots you look to
I'd have to know what our squad is on to really dig deep into where the most effective and efficient cuts should come. But yeah those are the three spots that i would guess at too.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Beejay wrote: February 11, 2019, 12:24 pm Elite wingers do make a difference in the NRL. Secondly, Rapana has been our top 3 best player for a couple of years. Just don't overpay him. Certainly don't let him go. Just because he could get more money on the open market with a desperate club doesn't mean he is going to do that. Like the article says, he wants to be here and there's more to it than football, his fiance is from Canberra and has a pretty good job/career in Canberra.
Agreed
The trouble is we're probably already "overpaying" him and he's not taking a pay cut to stay here. So where do you go from there?

I also agree with others that Rapana when healthy should be given a really good crack at fullback if we haven't found a solution whilst he's away. I was advocating both he and Cotric being given time at fullback last year when Wighton was out, because we all know this Wighton to the halves move was on the cards.

Really speaks to what a poor job Stuart did, not planning forward with this. We should be coming into 2019 knowing EXACTLY how we feel about Rapana and Cotric at fullback
simo
Ricky Stuart

Post by simo »

Pigman wrote: February 11, 2019, 1:03 pm
Beejay wrote: February 11, 2019, 12:24 pm Elite wingers do make a difference in the NRL. Secondly, Rapana has been our top 3 best player for a couple of years. Just don't overpay him. Certainly don't let him go. Just because he could get more money on the open market with a desperate club doesn't mean he is going to do that. Like the article says, he wants to be here and there's more to it than football, his fiance is from Canberra and has a pretty good job/career in Canberra.
Agreed
The trouble is we're probably already "overpaying" him and he's not taking a pay cut to stay here. So where do you go from there?

I also agree with others that Rapana when healthy should be given a really good crack at fullback if we haven't found a solution whilst he's away. I was advocating both he and Cotric being given time at fullback last year when Wighton was out, because we all know this Wighton to the halves move was on the cards.

Really speaks to what a poor job Stuart did, not planning forward with this. We should be coming into 2019 knowing EXACTLY how we feel about Rapana and Cotric at fullback
Ill be fair to stick here and say i do know how i feel about cotric at fullback and thats that he’ll be an excellent Center
Dont delete this GE