Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Gazman
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Gazman »

I am going to remain optimistic, albeit misguided, that we have a plan to jag a FB before the season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm hoping we can...
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

Stuart knows he under pressure he isn't going to move our best fullback to 5/8 to improve our defensive line if he doesn't have someone either already at the club or lined up that he believes can do the job that is needed.

At the end of the day if we require a world class fullback to be competitive then fullback is the least of our problems.

So if we don't manage pick up a fullback or half the world won't come to an end.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Sid »

Gazman wrote:I am going to remain optimistic, albeit misguided, that we have a plan to jag a FB before the season starts.

I would be surprised if a fullback isn’t signed, maybe not necessarily by season start, but before June 30
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raidersteve wrote: February 5, 2019, 7:14 pm Stuart knows he under pressure he isn't going to move our best fullback to 5/8 to improve our defensive line if he doesn't have someone either already at the club or lined up that he believes can do the job that is needed.

At the end of the day if we require a world class fullback to be competitive then fullback is the least of our problems.

So if we don't manage pick up a fullback or half the world won't come to an end.
It might end Rickys world though.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Sid wrote: February 5, 2019, 10:01 pm
Gazman wrote:I am going to remain optimistic, albeit misguided, that we have a plan to jag a FB before the season starts.

I would be surprised if a fullback isn’t signed, maybe not necessarily by season start, but before June 30
Sadly, I am starting to believe its going to be a mid yr trade too.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Matt wrote: February 6, 2019, 8:47 am

Could be part of the negotiation process if Raiders are low in salary cap funds too. e.g. if there's $550k left in the kitty for 2019, that's not enough for a quality fullback for a full season, but would be enough for a a quality fullback for half season as part of a deal that stretches for a couple of years (e.g. $2M over 2.5 seasons... rough numbers being thrown around)

The bonus with doing something like this, is that so long as Raiders are still in the hunt mid season, they would then be stacking their cap more towards the business end of the season being finals.

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Which arguably is when we need the position filled the least - when Rapana comes back on board.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Even if a good fullback is on the market we have to hope no one else is in the market. If they are we are low odds to get him.

Most likely I think we sign an English half for next year and Jack moves back there.
Last edited by edwahu on February 6, 2019, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Coastalraider wrote: February 6, 2019, 10:36 am

Which arguably is when we need the position filled the least - when Rapana comes back on board.
Seems an odd thing to be arguing. Lessened degrees of desperate really.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote: February 6, 2019, 10:42 am
Coastalraider wrote: February 6, 2019, 10:36 am

Seems an odd thing to be arguing. Lessened degrees of desperate really.
Spot on Zim, Rapana coming back doesn't 'fix' the issue that we appear to be going into this year 1 spine player short - but I'd be much more comfortable with a back 3 of Cotric/Rapana/Oldfield than Cotric/Abbey/Oldfield.
But add an actual quality fullback to the mix (like most teams would) and Id be fine.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I still can’t get my head around us playing Jack at 6, it’s a disaster putting him in a key position like that to make decisions.
He finally goes well at Fullback and then we want to change him again because we are going all defensive.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

edwahu wrote: February 6, 2019, 10:40 am Even if a good fullback is on the market we have to hope no one else is in the market. If they are we are low odds to get him.

Most likely I think we sign an English half for next year and Jack moves back there.
North Qld would be looking hard at any available players for fullback.

I think our spine will be Hodgo, Sezer, Sam and Jack. Providing we can keep them together for most of the season I think they will do the job.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Brew wrote: February 6, 2019, 3:40 pm I still can’t get my head around us playing Jack at 6, it’s a disaster putting him in a key position like that to make decisions.
He finally goes well at Fullback and then we want to change him again because we are going all defensive.

Indeed
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Matt wrote: February 6, 2019, 3:59 pm
Brew wrote: February 6, 2019, 3:40 pm I still can’t get my head around us playing Jack at 6, it’s a disaster putting him in a key position like that to make decisions.

Indeed
It also shows, in my opinion, a lack of understanding of the actual issue. Austin was not a horrible tackler when he made the correct decision (see game vs. St George last year against Tariq Sims). The issue has been that our second rowers and halves have been constantly put in a position to make decisions and one on one tackles. I remember a stat that Whitehead had made the most 1 on 1 tackles in the entire league. You do not want to be making 1 on 1 tackles on an edge.

This shows it is our defensive structure that is to blame, lack of mobility in the middle and inability to (legally) slow down the play the ball, resulting in huge metres to the opposition and our edge always on the backfoot. Is Wighton a significantly better decision maker than Austin? Again, "hitting" was not the issue.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Jack can't possibly be a worse decision maker in defense than Austin. He will be a lot better.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

TongueFTW wrote: February 7, 2019, 6:45 am

Indeed
It also shows, in my opinion, a lack of understanding of the actual issue. Austin was not a horrible tackler when he made the correct decision (see game vs. St George last year against Tariq Sims). The issue has been that our second rowers and halves have been constantly put in a position to make decisions and one on one tackles. I remember a stat that Whitehead had made the most 1 on 1 tackles in the entire league. You do not want to be making 1 on 1 tackles on an edge.

This shows it is our defensive structure that is to blame, lack of mobility in the middle and inability to (legally) slow down the play the ball, resulting in huge metres to the opposition and our edge always on the backfoot. Is Wighton a significantly better decision maker than Austin? Again, "hitting" was not the issue.
Defensively, yes. I do think he is a better decision maker in this regard. It shows in his last line stuff at FB too. He makes the right call more often than not, which is why he has a highlight reel of hits at FB.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Matt wrote: February 7, 2019, 8:04 am

Indeed

Defensively, yes. I do think he is a better decision maker in this regard. It shows in his last line stuff at FB too. He makes the right call more often than not, which is why he has a highlight reel of hits at FB.
He might be, but you are basing that on no evidence. There is a big difference between defending as a fullback and a half 3 in, where you have to deal with second rowers, halves and fullbacks on a sweep play. If we have the same issues in previous years in terms of yardage conceded and play the ball speed, Wighton will make a negligible difference to our defence.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Wighton wont just take the easy option. Austin was a bandit for shooting out unexpectedly because it was easier than holding back and covering the backrower going for a crash ball
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeah i think we're going to some teething issues early in the year with Wighton's decision making
But it was a feature of his game in his early days as a centre. He can read the play well and is a good, strong defender as far as technique goes

I think he'll be a considerable upgrade on Austin defensively.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

TongueFTW wrote: February 7, 2019, 9:45 am
Matt wrote: February 7, 2019, 8:04 am

Indeed

He might be, but you are basing that on no evidence. There is a big difference between defending as a fullback and a half 3 in, where you have to deal with second rowers, halves and fullbacks on a sweep play. If we have the same issues in previous years in terms of yardage conceded and play the ball speed, Wighton will make a negligible difference to our defence.
I saw him in juniors. Backrowers didnt go through his corridor. He nailed them so often they went the other way. Wighton is not afraid to tackle, in fact, guys that hit like him like the contact - also see Radley, who was a half/ hooker in junior grades. Which means they will focus harder on making the decision as to who, and esp when, to get into a position to do so (you dont hit like that without good technique and timing).

As Simo said, Austin didnt want a bar of it. He didnt want to think, wait or trust his team mates, so he would shoot out of the line making the decision for everyone.

As for the structure stuff, thats partially system, and partially the cogs within it.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Not my favorite site, but:
https://www.zerotackle.com/robert-jenni ... MxooOab7UE

Tell me why we havent been looking into Jennings?
I mean, Im not exactly a fan of Cotric at FB, but surely, if the coaching staff see this as an option, Jennings would be a great addition on the wing to fill that void.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

If we are hoping to sign Edwards we probably can't afford Jennings. He wouldn't come at min wage.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Matt wrote: February 7, 2019, 10:00 am Not my favorite site, but:

I mean, Im not exactly a fan of Cotric at FB, but surely, if the coaching staff see this as an option, Jennings would be a great addition on the wing to fill that void.
I can only see two options as to why.

1. We are confident we have someone lined up, or;
2. We have a completely inept recruitment department.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I can't understand why anybody thinks that Wighton isn't an immediate and considerable upgrade, at least defensively, to Austin. Was pretty clear that Austin's head and heart wasn't in the game over the past 2 years. He looked like Reece Robinson out there at times. Shooting up for the intercept too often. Our defence will be better, I have no doubt. How the shift and also the loss of Crawley affects our attack should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yep, Austin was the worst defensive player in Raiders history last year. His issues had nothing to do with structure, and the chances of Jack not being much better are zero.
Last edited by edwahu on February 7, 2019, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

@ Matt, I just came on here to suggest signing Jennings, surely we have the cash for him with rapanas money ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

gergreg wrote:I can't understand why anybody thinks that Wighton isn't an immediate and considerable upgrade, at least defensively, to Austin. Was pretty clear that Austin's head and heart wasn't in the game over the past 2 years. He looked like Reece Robinson out there at times. Shooting up for the intercept too often. Our defence will be better, I have no doubt. How the shift and also the loss of Crawley affects our attack should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Yes he is an upgrade on Austin, that’s not hard mind you.

But what is better, Abbey at 1 and Jack at 6 or Jack at 1 Willams at 6?

In Ricky We Trust
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Needs to be a better decision than that. Abbey is not NRL level, neither is Williams.
Moving Wighton is the right move, he will be great in the front line. I’ve thought that for a while.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I figured Ill answer you all at one.
zim wrote: February 7, 2019, 10:14 am If we are hoping to sign Edwards we probably can't afford Jennings. He wouldn't come at min wage.
The simple answer is yes, however, Gus has publicly said no, and by all accounts he is currently winning that battle for the #1 at Panthers, this would be my obvious NRL ready backup/ alternate option.
Wiki Special wrote: February 7, 2019, 10:17 am
Matt wrote: February 7, 2019, 10:00 am Not my favorite site, but:

I can only see two options as to why.

1. We are confident we have someone lined up, or;
2. We have a completely inept recruitment department.
Really really hope its #1.
Neeeegz wrote: February 7, 2019, 11:29 am @ Matt, I just came on here to suggest signing Jennings, surely we have the cash for him with rapanas money ?

Sent from my SM-J530Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Not sure he is only worth a tick over min wage, which is all we get as Rapa's compensation. But Id argue he is worth less than Edwards, but ultimately gives us a similar solution (assuming Cotric moves to 1 with Jack at 6)
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

I said on another post that I think we should be looking at Jennings. Abbey should NOT be anywhere near the first team this season regardless of injuries....
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Cotric seems pretty happy on the wing and Sticky seems pretty happy to keep him there.

SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Maybe the rumours of Simmonson getting first crack may be true?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

SeeBee101 wrote: February 7, 2019, 1:44 pm Maybe the rumours of Simmonson getting first crack may be true?
Where did this rumour come from?
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

SeeBee101 wrote: February 7, 2019, 1:44 pm Maybe the rumours of Simmonson getting first crack may be true?
I dont know much about simmonson, apart from seeing pictures on the raiders various social media pages, i thought he was a winger though? Is he a long term prospect?
I've got legs, and i know how to use them