Toughest preseason ever 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Toughest preseason ever 2019

Post by BJ »

bonehead wrote:remind me who Reuben Porter is?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The guy who carries your corned beef sandwich.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders youngsters pushing international stars says Elliott Whitehead

It's not just a raft of world-class second-rowers fighting for spots, but Canberra Raiders hardman Elliott Whitehead says there's a couple of youngsters keeping them honest as well.

"It's not only us four, there's some young kids as well like Jack Murchie and Hudson Young as well," Whitehead said. "They're training really hard and they're definitely wanting to push for those spots as well. It's good competition at the moment in those positions and it can only be helpful for our team and our depth as well."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50t2e.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Corey Horsburgh looking to emulate Emre Guler and Jack Murchie

Promising forward Corey Horsburgh is looking to emulate fellow teammates Jack Murchie and Emre Guler as he aims to make his debut for the green machine in 2019.

Video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/01 ... d-murchie/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No messing around, just answers the questions. Good on him! You gotta like him!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Doesn't look like an athlete does he? Going to be even more fun to watch when he gains some size.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Tough and passionate..

Nice.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Training Gallery: Pre-Season Week 12: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/02 ... n-week-12/

Video: Week that was: Raising the intensity: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/02 ... intensity/
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Bloody hell we look fit 😍
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Goldcoast Raider wrote: February 1, 2019, 5:51 pm Bloody hell we look fit 😍
Yeah GCR, I just hope we play fit, because that has been missing early on for a number of seasons.
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas

Every pic in the gallery, everyone looks hungry and trimmed down to muscle, Sammy bloody Williams looks like someone you wouldn’t want to arm wrestle lol
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas

I just hope it benefits us in the back end of games and we can win more than half of those close games
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Ive got green tinted glasses on but we look big and fit !!

Is that Whitehead with the beard?
Looks like hes 60 !
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Papas moustache.. :)

He looks like a Mario Kart character.. :woot:
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote:Papas moustache.. :)

He looks like a Mario Kart character.. :woot:
Wapalii
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Goldcoast Raider wrote:Bloody hell we look fit Image

Wow no one went on a Samoan off season trip this summer.
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

BJ wrote:

Yeah, until last year I stupidly always believed Injury was the biggest risk to our international rep players.... not knowing lurking in the shadows was the dreaded all-you-can-eat buffet

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Ginga wrote: February 2, 2019, 10:23 am
BJ wrote:

Yeah, until last year I stupidly always believed Injury was the biggest risk to our international rep players.... not knowing lurking in the shadows was the dreaded all-you-can-eat buffet

You’ve clearly never seen the samoan fams at the all you can eat chinese feed at campbelltown rsl
Dont delete this GE
Ginga
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Ginga »

simo wrote:
Ginga wrote: February 2, 2019, 10:23 am
BJ wrote:

You’ve clearly never seen the samoan fams at the all you can eat chinese feed at campbelltown rsl
No I leave when I spot the convoy of Tarago Vans approaching

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Sam looks bigger.

We started 2016 fit and hungry. This has that kind of vibe.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

greeneyed wrote: February 1, 2019, 3:06 pm Training Gallery: Pre-Season Week 12: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/02 ... n-week-12/

Video: Week that was: Raising the intensity: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/02 ... intensity/
It surprises me that when they show some of the tackling drills especially the ones they show in slo mo how many players hit in defence with the wrong shoulder/leg combination.

You can clearly see not only in this video but in others too that some players hit with their right shoulder but brace with their left or visa versa.

Its only a little thing but its the little things that count.

There is a clip on the NRL site (5 key match ups for 2019 ) where you see Havilli (spelling) come in for a hit on the players left but leads with his right shoulder and puts his head in a totally dangerous position.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders winger Jordan Rapana heading to Griffith and Leeton as part of the NRL Road to Regions tour

Coen Hess, Ali Brigginshaw, Dale Finucane, Isabelle Kelly and Tim Mannah are among a host of male and female rugby league players hitting the road this week to visit more than 60 regional towns across Queensland and New South Wales.

The visits are part of the NRL’s annual ‘Road to Regions’ tour, providing an opportunity for players to meet some of their biggest fans throughout regional and rural parts of the country before the Premiership season commences.

NRL Head of Government and Community Relations, Jaymes Boland-Rudder said the Road to Regions tour also provided the players and the game the opportunity to promote positive education and wellbeing messages amongst communities.

“The Road to Regions tour is a fantastic way for our players to say thank you to local communities for their support of rugby league, as well as a chance to impart important education messages around respect, positive mental wellbeing and empowering one another,” Mr Boland-Rudder said.

As part of the tour, the NRL will also deliver its State of Mind grassroots program, with more than 95 junior rugby league clubs having taken part in the program in 2018.

The program has been developed alongside expert health partners (Kids Helpline, headspace, Lifeline and Black Dog Institute) in the mental wellbeing space and is designed to increase mental health literacy and reduce the stigma around mental illness.

The NRL Road to Regions tours are proudly supported by the New South Wales and Queensland Governments.

A list of the 2019 NRL Road to Regions locations and players attending locations is below:

Charters Towers (North QLD): 4-5 Feb
Coen Hess (Cowboys) and Brittany Breayley (NRLW)

Roma and Districts (Central QLD): 4-6 Feb
Frank Winterstein (Sea Eagles), Simaima Taufa (Roosters) and Ali Brigginshaw (NRLW)

Armidale (North West NSW): 4-6 Feb
Robbie Rochow (Tigers), Tim Mannah (Eels) and Corban McGregor (NRLW)

Griffith and Leeton (South West NSW): 4-6 Feb
Jordan Rapana (Raiders), Dale Finucane (Storm) and Ruan Sims (NRLW)

Malanda and Atherton (Far North QLD): 6-8 Feb
Kurt Capewell (Sharks), Aiden Guerra (Knights) and Tahlulah Tillett (NRLW)

Biloela and Monto (Central QLD): 6-8 Feb
Joe Ofahengaue (Broncos), Adam Doueihi (Rabbitohs) and Chelsea Baker (NRLW)

Grafton and Yamba (Northern NSW): 6-8 Feb
Fa’amanu Brown (Bulldogs), Anthony Don (Titans) and Isabelle Kelly (NRLW)

Coolah, Dunedoo and Wellington (Western NSW): 6-8 Feb
Euan Aitken (Dragons), Tim Grant (Panthers), Talesha Quinn (NRLW) and Ruan Sims (NRLW)

For more information on the 2019 NRL Road to Regions tour, visit www.nrl.com/community

NRL media release

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/03/roa ... set-to-go/
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I hope they do a better job than last year. Barely anyone in Leeton knew about it and they had a poor turnout.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Keghead wrote:
greeneyed wrote: February 1, 2019, 3:06 pm Training Gallery: Pre-Season Week 12: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2019/02 ... n-week-12/

It surprises me that when they show some of the tackling drills especially the ones they show in slo mo how many players hit in defence with the wrong shoulder/leg combination.

You can clearly see not only in this video but in others too that some players hit with their right shoulder but brace with their left or visa versa.

Its only a little thing but its the little things that count.

There is a clip on the NRL site (5 key match ups for 2019 ) where you see Havilli (spelling) come in for a hit on the players left but leads with his right shoulder and puts his head in a totally dangerous position.
it's competition wide too, big athletes able to compensate technique with raw strength

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Just saying'...

Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

BadnMean wrote:Just saying'...

Yeah I’m not saying it doesn’t work but and that one came off for josh I guess but you would just think that at that level you would have developed the correct technique and if you hadn’t that it would be looked at and maybe improved upon.As I said it is only a little thing but it’s those areas where you could possibly gain a slight advantage.And yes it’s across the board hence another reason you might look to gain advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Keghead wrote:

Yeah I’m not saying it doesn’t work but and that one came off for josh I guess but you would just think that at that level you would have developed the correct technique and if you hadn’t that it would be looked at and maybe improved upon.As I said it is only a little thing but it’s those areas where you could possibly gain a slight advantage.And yes it’s across the board hence another reason you might look to gain advantage.

What was wrong with the technique? (I can’t see the video) The training video is the one I’m referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I meant to ask what they were doing with their leg/shoulder combo?

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Dusty wrote: February 3, 2019, 6:37 pm I meant to ask what they were doing with their leg/shoulder combo?

Just when you hit with your left shoulder (which is usually the weakest ) you should brace with your left leg and right with right which will keep your body more square and allow you to put more oomph into the hit.

When you tend to mix up that combo you tend to spin off the tackle with less power and control.

Its just something I noticed a few weeks back when they put some training footage up and ran a fair bit of it in slow mo.

You will find that the better defenders do have that combo down pat and develop a lot more power and control with their hits, once again only a little thing but you know what DF used to say about the little things.

You can see in that hit of Josh's that he just missed that combo but if he had nailed it he would of buried him even more.

He hit him with the wrong shoulder (also putting his head in danger ) and braced with his left leg hence why he spun off so easily (luckily for the other player ) and that's in no way being critical on Josh because he is in no way the only one who does it.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue

Post by thedevilingreen »

Dusty wrote:
Keghead wrote:

What was wrong with the technique? (I can’t see the video) The training video is the one I’m referring to.

Do you reckon Buhrer hates playing us with the amount of times he been smashed by one of our forwards

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Keghead wrote: February 3, 2019, 5:26 pm

You're right though- the only reason I raised it as an example is I remember the monster hit but he was interviewed about it afterward as in
"Oh Josh, what a great hit, must have felt great" kind of thing but his honest response stuck in my mind- along the lines of-
"Yeah, I picked the runner out for a shot but I got wrong footed and I wanted to hit him with the other shoulder but I thought I'd just go hard anyway..."
So he knew damn well he got his timing a bit off and had to hit wrong shoulder, just got away with it because he's Papa.

Just an excuse to post a great hit :thumbsup
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

His head is in the wrong spot is tha main issue- get away with it when your smashing a Buhrer- do it too often vs a Tapau or Fifitia or Burgii and you end up a concussion retirement case.
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

BadnMean wrote: February 3, 2019, 11:49 pm His head is in the wrong spot is tha main issue- get away with it when your smashing a Buhrer- do it too often vs a Tapau or Fifitia or Burgii and you end up a concussion retirement case.
I watched a game last night from 2017 I think it was round 4 where Raiders played Tigers at home and its a classic example of what not to do.

Sauaso Sue came in to put a hit on Jack with his head to the wrong side and totally upright copped the shoulder of the attacker and bang straight off HIA.

Then Sue came back on in the second half and within the first 2 minutes did the exact same thing on the Coal Train then gone for the game.

They all can tackle to a certain degree but the effectiveness of the tackle and the stopping power you develop all comes down to technique and its some thing that should be worked on.

Nothing wrong with coming up with excuses to view nice hits and change that H to a T........and that's OK too. :lol:
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Keghead wrote: February 4, 2019, 6:56 am
BadnMean wrote: February 3, 2019, 11:49 pm His head is in the wrong spot is tha main issue- get away with it when your smashing a Buhrer- do it too often vs a Tapau or Fifitia or Burgii and you end up a concussion retirement case.
I watched a game last night from 2017 I think it was round 4 where Raiders played Tigers at home and its a classic example of what not to do.

Sauaso Sue came in to put a hit on Jack with his head to the wrong side and totally upright copped the shoulder of the attacker and bang straight off HIA.

Then Sue came back on in the second half and within the first 2 minutes did the exact same thing on the Coal Train then gone for the game.

They all can tackle to a certain degree but the effectiveness of the tackle and the stopping power you develop all comes down to technique and its some thing that should be worked on.

Nothing wrong with coming up with excuses to view nice hits and change that H to a T........and that's OK too. :lol:
You make a couple of decent points here Keghead.

The first is something general - this club has to be looking to win on the margins. We can bang on all we like about unfair advantages/not a level playing field etc in the NRL as a whole, but the only productive thing to do is gain an edge in other aspects in our control. That’s the constructive thing to do.

More specifically, about the tackling techniques - in this current age of HIA creating numerical disadvantages, surely it’s worth refining techniques where we can to avoid dropping to 16 or 15 players in matches?? Very small thing, but perhaps it comes in handy when we most need it? (Must-win game, elimination final etc)
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

If you want to reduce your concussion risk, dont name luke bateman. Simple
Dont delete this GE
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

mamando wrote: February 4, 2019, 11:13 am
Keghead wrote: February 4, 2019, 6:56 am

You make a couple of decent points here Keghead.

The first is something general - this club has to be looking to win on the margins. We can bang on all we like about unfair advantages/not a level playing field etc in the NRL as a whole, but the only productive thing to do is gain an edge in other aspects in our control. That’s the constructive thing to do.

More specifically, about the tackling techniques - in this current age of HIA creating numerical disadvantages, surely it’s worth refining techniques where we can to avoid dropping to 16 or 15 players in matches?? Very small thing, but perhaps it comes in handy when we most need it? (Must-win game, elimination final etc)
Thats the crux of it all, do all you can to gain any tiny advantage within your own team and let the rest take care of itself.