The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by LP Raider »

zim wrote: February 1, 2019, 2:55 pm Both guys lucky to still be out there but fantastic to finally have some tons.
Happens in every innings, you take the good with the bad
WorkChoice
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

LP Raider wrote: February 1, 2019, 2:57 pm
zim wrote: February 1, 2019, 2:55 pm Both guys lucky to still be out there but fantastic to finally have some tons.
Happens in every innings, you take the good with the bad
I was being kind. These were very catchable. It's not just a case of luck to be written off.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Head breaks that 3 figure mark.
Then gets another life.
Dropped at 2nd slip
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

LP Raider wrote: February 1, 2019, 2:56 pm Well done Travis Head, only his 8th Test and already a test match century.

Our most consistent and best batsmen this summer.

Not from NSW but should be OK for another couple of tests.
Great moment.
But ill bet he is thinking it should be number 3 or 4
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote: February 1, 2019, 2:30 pm
RedRaider wrote: February 1, 2019, 2:22 pm Happy for Burns. His form said he should have been in the side against India. Amazing how players in form seem to also get a little luck go their way. I would hope the selectors have learned to pick on form, but Hohns has his favourites and we were 'stuck in the Marshes' for far too long.
Yep. He should have come in over Labuschange against India.
Im glad they picked Patterson after his twin tons against Sri Lanka in the CA XI game.
Realistically Burns should have been in there for the start of the India series. He was a last minute call up in SA after Sandpapergate so effectively an incumbent. He had a good start the domestic season so a pretty harsh call to leave him out. Thats twice now he's been called in for 1 test then dropped again. Both against SA ironically. Typical of the selector scattergun approach in recent times.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Live test averages:

Travis Head 46
Joe Burns 41

Nice to have guys out of the 30's in this aspect.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Head 150*
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 1, 2019, 3:11 pm Live test averages:

Travis Head 46
Joe Burns 41

Nice to have guys out of the 30's in this aspect.
Yep
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: February 1, 2019, 3:05 pm
RedRaider wrote: February 1, 2019, 2:22 pm Happy for Burns. His form said he should have been in the side against India. Amazing how players in form seem to also get a little luck go their way. I would hope the selectors have learned to pick on form, but Hohns has his favourites and we were 'stuck in the Marshes' for far too long.
Im glad they picked Patterson after his twin tons against Sri Lanka in the CA XI game.
Realistically Burns should have been in there for the start of the India series. He was a last minute call up in SA after Sandpapergate so effectively an incumbent. He had a good start the domestic season so a pretty harsh call to leave him out. Thats twice now he's been called in for 1 test then dropped again. Both against SA ironically. Typical of the selector scattergun approach in recent times.
Yes, and no. Harris's case was pretty strong too.

Lets face it, Finch was a fail, but they weren't dropping him. The second they did though.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Head LBW 161

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Matt wrote: February 1, 2019, 3:01 pm
LP Raider wrote: February 1, 2019, 2:56 pm Well done Travis Head, only his 8th Test and already a test match century.

Great moment.
8 tests 4 centuries, have a lie down Matt.
WorkChoice
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Burns 150*

LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Sri Lanka doing their best to bury Usmin.
WorkChoice
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

:P jo
LP Raider wrote: February 1, 2019, 4:04 pm

Great moment.
He has two 70s and an 80. Good batsman convert at least 1 of those. Really good batsman convert 2. The elite convert 9 out of 10 of those.

By comparison, Handscomb had two 100s and two 50s in the same number of innings and twice his avg.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Head's innings got progressively loose as he went on. He rode his luck a bit today but good on him. We've seen too many of our batsmen get chances but not make the opposition pay.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Burns has been murdering those cover drives this innings. Will Sri Lankan continue to dish up the half volleys outside off?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:Burns has been murdering those cover drives this innings. Will Sri Lankan continue to dish up the half volleys outside off?
Yes, yes they will

Their over rate was a disgrace, 3 overs down even after the extra half hour
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Matt wrote: February 1, 2019, 4:17 pm :P jo

Great moment.
He has two 70s and an 80. Good batsman convert at least 1 of those. Really good batsman convert 2. The elite convert 9 out of 10 of those.

By comparison, Handscomb had two 100s and two 50s in the same number of innings and twice his avg.
As I said not from NSW so not going to be a fan favourite which is a major problem in Australian sport.

No one is saying he is elite, his spot is secure which is a good thing.

I'd rather someone's 70's than a big fat zero, is it any wonder Australian sports suck when you have a player stinking it up having no criticism compared to someone actually making a contribution.
WorkChoice
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:Burns has been murdering those cover drives this innings. Will Sri Lankan continue to dish up the half volleys outside off?
Yes, yes they will

Their over rate was a disgrace, 3 overs down even after the extra half hour
To be fair they've spent most of the day going out to the fence to fetch the ball. :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

LP Raider wrote: February 1, 2019, 6:11 pm
Matt wrote: February 1, 2019, 4:17 pm :P jo

Great moment.

As I said not from NSW so not going to be a fan favourite which is a major problem in Australian sport.

No one is saying he is elite, his spot is secure which is a good thing.

I'd rather someone's 70's than a big fat zero, is it any wonder Australian sports suck when you have a player stinking it up having no criticism compared to someone actually making a contribution.
When did I criticize him?
Ive questioned his technique, sure.
I said he probably wishes todays 100 was number 3 or 4.
Hell, ive also said Uzi has been terrible.
What else do u want?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Hard to get too excited about this when the runs are being scored against a bowling attack that would get flogged by most d grade teams.

Anyway, Warne is right. Khawaja needs a spell, been terrible for most of the summer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Current form should always be the main criteria for selection Matt. I'll swim against the tide and say that in the South African series Warner had an average of 36.16 and Smith and average of 23.60 over 3 Tests and 6 innings each. Neither should be considered a walk up start imo. They need to show fitness and form preferably in English conditions. I know they will likely be picked but unless they are in form and fit, they should not have any advantage over the others. We have the poor example of S. Marsh to go on with the selectors use of favouritism. He averaged 3.5 against Pakistan in the UAE (4 innings) and 18.37 against South Africa in South Africa (8 innings) yet was a walk up start for the series against India. Why? If anyone should have been replaced by Labu it was him as a fellow middle order player.

Burns had a mid 40s average (46) in Shield cricket and had top scored (42) in the second innings against South Africa. Yet Hohns doesn't pick him for the UAE or against the World Leading Indians. The players are simply not being selected on form. Wade is another. Hohns wants him to bat up the order and yet he is averaging in the 60's in Shield cricket but still the Marshes are preferred?? in the middle order. I don't really care where a batsman is making his runs in the Top 6, if he has a genuine (no reliance on 'not outs') 60 plus average in Shield cricket he should be in the Test side.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Warner averages 48 and Smith 61

I don't care if they've been out for a year, and how much of a **** Warner is they're still our two best bats in the country

The only thing that changes is Burns has probably taken Khawajas spot in the team
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I want to see some form from them TW, otherwise we are going down the S. Marsh road again. As I posted, I think they are likely to be picked, particularly with Hohns as the head selector, but they were not in form before 'sand paper gate' and there is no form line after.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Azza wrote: February 1, 2019, 6:59 pm Hard to get too excited about this when the runs are being scored against a bowling attack that would get flogged by most d grade teams.

Anyway, Warne is right. Khawaja needs a spell, been terrible for most of the summer
Khawaja will slap a solid 50* in the 2nd innings and secure a plane ride to ENG.

This is the last test until the Ashes in August.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: February 1, 2019, 7:45 pm
Current form should always be the main criteria for selection Matt. I'll swim against the tide and say that in the South African series Warner had an average of 36.16 and Smith and average of 23.60 over 3 Tests and 6 innings each. Neither should be considered a walk up start imo. They need to show fitness and form preferably in English conditions. I know they will likely be picked but unless they are in form and fit, they should not have any advantage over the others. We have the poor example of S. Marsh to go on with the selectors use of favouritism. He averaged 3.5 against Pakistan in the UAE (4 innings) and 18.37 against South Africa in South Africa (8 innings) yet was a walk up start for the series against India. Why? If anyone should have been replaced by Labu it was him as a fellow middle order player.

Burns had a mid 40s average (46) in Shield cricket and had top scored (42) in the second innings against South Africa. Yet Hohns doesn't pick him for the UAE or against the World Leading Indians. The players are simply not being selected on form. Wade is another. Hohns wants him to bat up the order and yet he is averaging in the 60's in Shield cricket but still the Marshes are preferred?? in the middle order. I don't really care where a batsman is making his runs in the Top 6, if he has a genuine (no reliance on 'not outs') 60 plus average in Shield cricket he should be in the Test side.
Ive been banging the 'drop SMarsh' a very long time. And only held onto MMarsh due to a lack of other allrounder options. Those 2 have been hopeless for ages.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Is cat at the cricket ?

I just saw a women..wearing a women in league Raiders jersey carrying a tray of beer.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Well played Patto. 100
Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Brute of a ball smacks Dimuth in what looks like his neck just under the helmet, game been held up for a good ten minutes so far, medics out there, a lot of concern. Hope the blokes ok.

Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Lyno gets Thrimanna caught by Koala at first slip, both openers gone 1/90 11 overs gone (other blokes off to hospital)

Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Big appeal from Lyno, given not out, reviewed but missing the wickets

Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

Cummins hits the top of off, Mendis gone for 6 2/101 - great ball

Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

3/120 Starc gets a nick off the gloves

Brewdle
Brett Mullins

Post by Brewdle »

3/123 stumps, 1 each for Cummins, Lyno n Starc

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Brewdle wrote:Brute of a ball smacks Dimuth in what looks like his neck just under the helmet, game been held up for a good ten minutes so far, medics out there, a lot of concern. Hope the blokes ok.

Shoulder neck luckily, bit of pins and needles according to Neroli Meadows