NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 123495
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: NFL Thread

Post by greeneyed » January 22, 2019, 9:16 pm

I can't say I support the association with Trump, as you'd suspect. But as a football organisation, they're first class.
Image

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6207
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: NFL Thread

Post by gergreg » January 22, 2019, 9:24 pm

I'd liken the Patriots to the cheating that the Storm have done but some people irrationally look past that because of some strange state allegiance, in a competition that really has nothing to do with state allegiance. For arguments sake, tehe, I'd liken the Patriots to the recent cheating of the Sharks.... and then casually step away from the thread.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 123495
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: NFL Thread

Post by greeneyed » January 22, 2019, 9:25 pm

You're a rascal gergreg! :lol:
Image

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6207
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: NFL Thread

Post by gergreg » January 22, 2019, 9:28 pm

Anyway good luck to both teams in the SB. LA and the officials.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 123495
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: NFL Thread

Post by greeneyed » January 22, 2019, 9:31 pm

It's not like you blokes couldn't have chosen a winning team! No regional ties, no reason not to back a winner in a foreign competition and sport! :)
Image

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20739
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider » January 22, 2019, 9:33 pm

greeneyed wrote:
January 22, 2019, 9:31 pm
It's not like you blokes couldn't have chosen a winning team! No regional ties, no reason not to back a winner in a foreign competition and sport! :)
#bandwagon
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 123495
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: NFL Thread

Post by greeneyed » January 22, 2019, 9:43 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
January 22, 2019, 9:33 pm
greeneyed wrote:
January 22, 2019, 9:31 pm
It's not like you blokes couldn't have chosen a winning team! No regional ties, no reason not to back a winner in a foreign competition and sport! :)
#bandwagon
Lots of Raiders fans today are fans because the Raiders were winning in the late 80s and early 90s. Just sayin’.
Image

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20739
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider » January 22, 2019, 9:49 pm

greeneyed wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
January 22, 2019, 9:33 pm
greeneyed wrote:
January 22, 2019, 9:31 pm
It's not like you blokes couldn't have chosen a winning team! No regional ties, no reason not to back a winner in a foreign competition and sport! :)
#bandwagon
Lots of Raiders fans today are fans because the Raiders were winning in the late 80s and early 90s. Just sayin’.
Yep, Thats what kids do

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 123495
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: NFL Thread

Post by greeneyed » January 22, 2019, 9:55 pm

Let’s face it, there’s no “right” reason for picking a team in a foreign country competing in a sport that’s also completely foreign in their upbringing. I liked the place when I visited. And the team played well when I became vaguely interested in the sport. Is there some other more acceptable rubric for choosing an NFL team I missed?
Image

User avatar
Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5437
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » January 23, 2019, 6:02 am

greeneyed wrote:Let’s face it, there’s no “right” reason for picking a team in a foreign country competing in a sport that’s also completely foreign in their upbringing. I liked the place when I visited. And the team played well when I became vaguely interested in the sport. Is there some other more acceptable rubric for choosing an NFL team I missed?
There’s the Fui method. Which team were you finally able to win with when you first started playing Madden
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 31347
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt » January 23, 2019, 8:14 am

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
January 23, 2019, 6:02 am
greeneyed wrote:Let’s face it, there’s no “right” reason for picking a team in a foreign country competing in a sport that’s also completely foreign in their upbringing. I liked the place when I visited. And the team played well when I became vaguely interested in the sport. Is there some other more acceptable rubric for choosing an NFL team I missed?
There’s the Fui method. Which team were you finally able to win with when you first started playing Madden
A perfectly acceptable method. Thats how I picked my NBA side, Charlotte Hornets, the Muggsy Bogues and Larry Johnson days, and my NHL side, Pitsburg Pengins with good old Jaromir Jagr at like 90 odd overall, because as we all know, there are 3 things set in life, death, taxes and Jaromir Jagr playing in the All Stars game. I dont have time to watch or play either now.

I dont really have time for sport much anymore. 2 kids makes that tougher. So, NBA is gone, my Soccer viewing is down to basic passing glances of the EPL and A-League and Australia FTA games - so, I barely know who is good and who isnt, and dont really recognize anyone anymore. BBL is now a case of only watching after my wife says 'there is nothing on'. AFL is down to the odd game once a month. Meaning my time is focused on Test Cricket, NRL and NFL. Its not enough IMO, but thats about as far as the time stretches these days.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 31347
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt » January 23, 2019, 11:49 am


User avatar
the bone
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1616
Joined: September 13, 2010, 4:02 pm

Re: NFL Thread

Post by the bone » January 23, 2019, 1:01 pm

Pigman wrote:
the bone wrote:
January 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
49ers 2 Rashan Gary DE
Raiders 4 Quinnen Williams DT
Buccs 5 Greedy Williams CB
Giants 6 Dwayne Haskins QB
Broncos 10 Daniel Jones QB
Early in the process and things could change dramatically, i probably only know about 20 players intimately right now, and maybe i'll feel differently about them as we go through, but those 5 stuck out to me

1. I think Gary is a top 2 player, ive got him behind Bosa, Williams, Oliver Simmons and Farrell along the DL. Also the Niners have spend 3 first rounders on the DL. Not sure they'll go that direction again, even though it's kind of still a need because Thomas and Armstead have been pretty big busts.

2. Quinnen Williams falling to #4 would shock me, even if it's a small fall, that just strikes me as something that wont happen. He's going to be compared to Aaron Donald a lot in terms of playing style. I think he's top 2, maybe even #1. If the jets pass on him, ill be stunned.

3. Greedy Williams is someone i know a bit about because he got mocked to Philly a bunch early. All the physical tools and is dominant when he wants to be. I think that's probably a bit high for him right now but it wont shock me if that's exactly where he ends up.

4. Taking height out of consideration, i dont think Haskins should be going ahead of Murray. Haskins will go as a first rounder and certain the Giants will be in that mix, along with the skins, Jags, Broncos, Pats, Saints etc... Qb's always get pushed up so it wouldnt shock me but i dont think he should be taken over Murray.

5. This is exactly what im expecting. I think he's going to be the sort of QB Elway falls for. I dont really rate him, though admittedly my opinions right now are not based on any serious reserach, just my initial take off very limited highlights package looks
1. / 3. 49ers and Bucs are prime candidates to trade down. Their needs don’t really add up with players worth those high picks. I didn’t take into account trades in this draft though
2. Assuming Bosa at #1 and a trade up for a QB at #2, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jets pick Williams at #3
4. I think the option of Murray ending up in the MLB will be in the back of some GMs minds, hence I think Haskins is the first QB off the board.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23453
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: NFL Thread

Post by PigRickman » January 23, 2019, 1:08 pm

greeneyed wrote:
January 22, 2019, 9:55 pm
Let’s face it, there’s no “right” reason for picking a team in a foreign country competing in a sport that’s also completely foreign in their upbringing. I liked the place when I visited. And the team played well when I became vaguely interested in the sport. Is there some other more acceptable rubric for choosing an NFL team I missed?

Na, like you should just pick a team based on a connection to a place, player, or something that draws you to them at the time of picking... that's all fine. Like you've been to New England, you like the city of Boston... perfectly reasonable to pick them as a team

But as you said, there is picking a team in a foreign country competing in a sport that’s also completely foreign in their upbringing... there are no rules, and there is no real history, and for me personally, if Jeffrey Lurie, Doug Pederson and Carson Wentz were openly stumping for Donald Trump... i'd find it really tough to support that team given what Trump is doing in that country.

I said the same of Greg Hardy, to some extent you know a lot of athletes are bad dudes who do bad ****... but there is a line and i just couldnt support a team who was willing to bring in a monster on Hardy's level. (And yes, there is undoubtedly some players on the eagles and raiders rosters who are guilty of domestic violence, the Hardy case was beyond abhorrent though)
Id still love the game and watch it, but i couldnt support the Eagles with Greg Hardy.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 31347
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt » January 23, 2019, 1:11 pm

Cowboys are obviously picking their 1st player late in the 2nd round, assuming we dont trade up, who do you guys think we look at?
I believe our biggest need is a DB, probably a saftey, esp given Jones yr at CB.
Then Id say TE, which late Rd2 means your probably looking at one of the better options there, though most experts are tipping DT as our 2nd need.

I think bone had a saftey for us in the 2nd.
*Edit*
Found him Cowboys 58 Jaquan Johnson S

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23453
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: NFL Thread

Post by PigRickman » January 23, 2019, 1:12 pm

the bone wrote:
January 23, 2019, 1:01 pm
Pigman wrote:
the bone wrote:
January 21, 2019, 2:27 pm
49ers 2 Rashan Gary DE
Raiders 4 Quinnen Williams DT
Buccs 5 Greedy Williams CB
Giants 6 Dwayne Haskins QB
Broncos 10 Daniel Jones QB
Early in the process and things could change dramatically, i probably only know about 20 players intimately right now, and maybe i'll feel differently about them as we go through, but those 5 stuck out to me

1. I think Gary is a top 2 player, ive got him behind Bosa, Williams, Oliver Simmons and Farrell along the DL. Also the Niners have spend 3 first rounders on the DL. Not sure they'll go that direction again, even though it's kind of still a need because Thomas and Armstead have been pretty big busts.

2. Quinnen Williams falling to #4 would shock me, even if it's a small fall, that just strikes me as something that wont happen. He's going to be compared to Aaron Donald a lot in terms of playing style. I think he's top 2, maybe even #1. If the jets pass on him, ill be stunned.

3. Greedy Williams is someone i know a bit about because he got mocked to Philly a bunch early. All the physical tools and is dominant when he wants to be. I think that's probably a bit high for him right now but it wont shock me if that's exactly where he ends up.

4. Taking height out of consideration, i dont think Haskins should be going ahead of Murray. Haskins will go as a first rounder and certain the Giants will be in that mix, along with the skins, Jags, Broncos, Pats, Saints etc... Qb's always get pushed up so it wouldnt shock me but i dont think he should be taken over Murray.

5. This is exactly what im expecting. I think he's going to be the sort of QB Elway falls for. I dont really rate him, though admittedly my opinions right now are not based on any serious reserach, just my initial take off very limited highlights package looks
1. / 3. 49ers and Bucs are prime candidates to trade down. Their needs don’t really add up with players worth those high picks. I didn’t take into account trades in this draft though
2. Assuming Bosa at #1 and a trade up for a QB at #2, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jets pick Williams at #3
4. I think the option of Murray ending up in the MLB will be in the back of some GMs minds, hence I think Haskins is the first QB off the board.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Yeah the trades in the top 10 could complicate things considerably so that's a fair point.
Id be surprised if Murray's flirtation with MLB causes him to drop... if he's available to draft, by that point he's decided football is for him and teams will take him... any team dropping him down their board on that is not going to give themselves a chance to draft him
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23453
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: NFL Thread

Post by PigRickman » January 23, 2019, 1:20 pm

Matt wrote:
January 23, 2019, 1:11 pm
Cowboys are obviously picking their 1st player late in the 2nd round, assuming we dont trade up, who do you guys think we look at?
I believe our biggest need is a DB, probably a saftey, esp given Jones yr at CB.
Then Id say TE, which late Rd2 means your probably looking at one of the better options there, though most experts are tipping DT as our 2nd need.

I think bone had a saftey for us in the 2nd.
*Edit*
Found him Cowboys 58 Jaquan Johnson S
The TE class this year is said to be VERY strong.
They apparently desperately wanted Dallas Goedert last year, and nothing they got from the TE position this year should give them any reason to believe they've got an answer in house.
If one of Fant, Smith Jr or Hockenson... maybe even Kaden Smith from Stanford, who is... not a poor man's version, but maybe a middle class man's version of Zach Ertz, who was also out of Stanford... i think that's the way they go. They're going to pay Dak and Cooper a lot of money and they're going to need someone else in that passing game who is cheap and can open things up a bit to try to make sure those investments pay off.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20739
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Northern Raider » January 23, 2019, 1:26 pm

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
January 23, 2019, 6:02 am
greeneyed wrote:Let’s face it, there’s no “right” reason for picking a team in a foreign country competing in a sport that’s also completely foreign in their upbringing. I liked the place when I visited. And the team played well when I became vaguely interested in the sport. Is there some other more acceptable rubric for choosing an NFL team I missed?
There’s the Fui method. Which team were you finally able to win with when you first started playing Madden
I couldn't apply that theory as I started following NFL in the late 80's and wasn't exposed to Madden till '92 version. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 31347
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt » January 23, 2019, 1:51 pm

Pigman wrote:
January 23, 2019, 1:20 pm
Matt wrote:
January 23, 2019, 1:11 pm
Cowboys are obviously picking their 1st player late in the 2nd round, assuming we dont trade up, who do you guys think we look at?
I believe our biggest need is a DB, probably a saftey, esp given Jones yr at CB.
Then Id say TE, which late Rd2 means your probably looking at one of the better options there, though most experts are tipping DT as our 2nd need.

I think bone had a saftey for us in the 2nd.
*Edit*
Found him Cowboys 58 Jaquan Johnson S
The TE class this year is said to be VERY strong.
They apparently desperately wanted Dallas Goedert last year, and nothing they got from the TE position this year should give them any reason to believe they've got an answer in house.
If one of Fant, Smith Jr or Hockenson... maybe even Kaden Smith from Stanford, who is... not a poor man's version, but maybe a middle class man's version of Zach Ertz, who was also out of Stanford... i think that's the way they go. They're going to pay Dak and Cooper a lot of money and they're going to need someone else in that passing game who is cheap and can open things up a bit to try to make sure those investments pay off.
Shultz is from Stanford, so they might again be 'brothers in arms'.

User avatar
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9031
Joined: March 13, 2010, 8:44 am
Favourite Player: Lindsey Pelas

Re: NFL Thread

Post by LP Raider » January 25, 2019, 4:31 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
January 22, 2019, 8:29 pm
They are privileged scum and I detest them.
:lol:

User avatar
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9031
Joined: March 13, 2010, 8:44 am
Favourite Player: Lindsey Pelas

Re: NFL Thread

Post by LP Raider » January 25, 2019, 5:01 pm

LP Raider wrote:
January 25, 2019, 4:31 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
January 22, 2019, 8:29 pm
They are privileged scum and I detest them.
:lol:
We really should be talking about some of the defensive schemes to get at Mahomes.

I find it incredible that not only you can come up with such plays defensively yet your able to call the play in defence and have everyone on board.

It really is the next frontier in coaching for the NRL.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23453
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: NFL Thread

Post by PigRickman » January 25, 2019, 5:24 pm

TBH i think most of the things NE did to him were pretty straight forward, and kind of classic for "rookie" QBs... the problem with Mahomes is going to be when he learns from experience how to read that ****. Right now he's so raw at reading defences, that he can be put off kilter... often it doesnt matter because he's so athletic and his arm is so ridiculous that he breaks the D anyways...

Mahomes may never get to a point where he can read a defence the way Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Ben or Rivers does, but even if he gets to a Luck/Wentz or even like a Matt Stafford level... i mean it's **** over as far as who the leagues best QB is.

The arm talent is comfortably the best in the league, he's not quite as athletic as Wilson/Dak/Watson/Trubisky but he's better than the Rodgers/Wentz/Luck guys who are functionally athletic... all that's missing is learning how to read defences.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9031
Joined: March 13, 2010, 8:44 am
Favourite Player: Lindsey Pelas

Re: NFL Thread

Post by LP Raider » January 25, 2019, 6:31 pm

I'm not sure it was pretty straight forward, NE took time away from Mahomes and that's on the O line.

They shut down Rivers the week before basically making him a passenger, so not sure of your argument.

Take the SB when they beat the Seahawks who play a zone defence, no one comments on how they picked away 5-6 yards on passing per down.

This is a very flexible and well coached team, the 2 weeks off gives the Patriots a massive advantage. Had Bill swallowed his pride last year and played Butler he would have had another ring.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23453
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: NFL Thread

Post by PigRickman » January 26, 2019, 2:07 pm

Ok, so what did they do scheme wise that was super complex?

No one is disputed that the Pats are flexible and well coached. But their game plan for Mahomes was exactly as most predicted it would be.
BB is pretty consistent in how he plays rookie QBs. Especially ones with some athleticism to break the pocket.

Other than playing a CB on Kelce almost all game, defensively it was basic stunts up the middle to manufacture inside pressure, their DE’s mush rushed and played to contain, they doubled Hill with a CB/S on virtually every play. On key third downs when they needed a stop, they played straight 0 coverage and brought the house and forced the ball out.

The coverage outside of that has to by design be pretty predictable because you’re already committing about 7 of your starting 11 to every snap responsibilities. Outside of playing Kelce with a corner, that’s as straight forward as it gets.

The chiefs took way too long to adjust, Mahomes in particular, he kept wanting that big play, but the small 6-8 yard gains where there all day.

Once Mahomes settled and Reid got a handle on the coverage, they did what they wanted on offence.

The chiefs had no points in first half, and still put up 31, and had they won the coin toss we’re very likely going to win the game.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23453
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: NFL Thread

Post by PigRickman » January 26, 2019, 2:29 pm

also re: the LAC game, that game was not won or lost by what they did on defence
It was won on offence, the Patriots put up TD’s on their first 4 drives. SD inexplicably continued with their game plan the week before and trotted our 7dbs on something like 65% of the snaps

All NE really had to do was play power football. They put Gronk and Devlin on the field and ran over the top of them.

I think you’ve got the let go of the idea that the Pats are successful because they’re complex. They really aren’t.

The reason the pats are successful is because they can play any way they need too. The NFL is a styles makes fights league. The pats can come out and one the first drive and play pure man with amoeba fronts, they won’t do it nearly as good as Baltimore and they can’t be as creative with their blitz’s

The next serious they can play a wide nine, cover 2 like Philly, again they won’t be as good at it.

Then they could be a straight 3-4 match zone like the Steelers, again not as good.

On offence they can play zone blocking, man blocking, they can run inside and outside, they can do traditional drop backs or go 5 wide and play the spread

They can play any style you want, on offence or defence. None of it is complex or revolutionary on its own, the genius in it is they believe a chess match like the NFL, when you can play any which way, you’ve always got a version of yourself that you can match up with what is going to be most effective with the team you’re playing that week.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23453
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: NFL Thread

Post by PigRickman » January 26, 2019, 2:40 pm

LP Raider wrote:
November 28, 1974, 1:15 pm
Take the SB when they beat the Seahawks who play a zone defence, no one comments on how they picked away 5-6 yards on passing per down.

This is a very flexible and well coached team, the 2 weeks off gives the Patriots a massive advantage. Had Bill swallowed his pride last year and played Butler he would have had another ring.
And just on this. I don’t know what you read or listened to at the time but heavy levels of coverage were allotted to NE picking apart the cover 3.

And the idea that Butler plays and it’s a lock they win that game is absurd. I mean just from a IF stand point...

If NE lose the OT toss, they aren’t in this SB

If the Matt Ryan doesn’t take a sack, they lose the ATL Sb

If Seattle hand the ball to Lynch from the 1 yard line, they lose that SB

If Manningham sideline catch goes incomplete they win that SB.

If tyree doesn’t have the helmet catch they win that Sb

If Graham doesn’t strip sack Brady they win, if Foles drops the philly special, the Pats win, Alshon doesn’t gift them a int, Philly run away with it.

Maybe Butler makes a play or maybe he gets put on toast like every other corner did that way, including a few who are better than Butler haha

He isn’t Derelle **** Revis, he was having a pretty average year himself, and if BB felt he wasn’t able to contribute positively, I might give him the BOTD on that one given he’s the best coach to ever do it.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 31347
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt » January 28, 2019, 7:01 pm

The pro bowl has been a bit of a joke for a while. But today... well it pretty much died.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23453
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: NFL Thread

Post by PigRickman » January 29, 2019, 7:20 am

Matt wrote:
January 28, 2019, 7:01 pm
The pro bowl has been a bit of a joke for a while. But today... well it pretty much died.
It's so **** bad. I'll watch just about anything NFL related.
I didnt watch a second of the pro bowl coverage. I saw some highlights on twitter... that's it.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 31347
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt » January 29, 2019, 10:57 am

@pigman,

I just read that Jags might trade Fournette to Philly for Foles.

Thoughts?!?

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23453
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: NFL Thread

Post by PigRickman » January 29, 2019, 1:15 pm

Matt wrote:
January 29, 2019, 10:57 am
@pigman,

I just read that Jags might trade Fournette to Philly for Foles.

Thoughts?!?
A few thoughts...

I dont see it, i don't see it on few fronts:

a) its feeling more and more like it's going to be too hard for Philly, cap wise, to keep Foles on the books and then work with him on a trade destination. It's feeling more and more likely that they'll let him walk clean and free, and just say "Thanks for everything, you've always got a home here... best of luck with your next stop" ... the mechanics of doing anything else look pretty tough. I think they'll have a wink wink nod nod where we agree to just let him walk, and not even ask for the 2mil buy out back, just mutual agreement to a release, and Nick agrees that as a true free agent that he'll stay out of the NFC E and do his best to stay out of the NFC.

b) If they did work out a way to keep Foles long enough to trade him, i dont think Fournette is the guy they'd want. Firstly they'd want picks, i could see a deal where the Eagles sent #25 and Foles for #7 and another 2nd round... So the jags get Foles, and still keep a first round pick. Eagles collect an extra second and move up to 7th. Or just Foles straight up for a gaggle of 2's and 3's or a future 1st (from a jags perspective, you could trade a 2020 1st with the expectation that with Foles, that's going to be a pick in the mid to high 20's, rather than #7 in 2019)

c) If players were involved i dont think Fournette would be high on the agenda.
I like Fournette as a player, he's a very good two down thumper... but that's kind of what he is. I think he'd chew up yards in the Ajayi role behind our line... but i dont know how much you want to pay that guy... im looking at OverTheCap and it looks to me as if he's on our books, we wouldnt take on the bonus so he'd be 3mil in 2019 and 4mil in 2019... its not too prohibitive, by i would rather take the high 2, and get the Bama guy Jacobs. Who is cheaper, younger and has greater cost control.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 31347
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt » January 29, 2019, 1:44 pm

Pigman wrote:
January 29, 2019, 1:15 pm
Matt wrote:
January 29, 2019, 10:57 am
@pigman,

I just read that Jags might trade Fournette to Philly for Foles.

Thoughts?!?
A few thoughts...

I dont see it, i don't see it on few fronts:

a) its feeling more and more like it's going to be too hard for Philly, cap wise, to keep Foles on the books and then work with him on a trade destination. It's feeling more and more likely that they'll let him walk clean and free, and just say "Thanks for everything, you've always got a home here... best of luck with your next stop" ... the mechanics of doing anything else look pretty tough. I think they'll have a wink wink nod nod where we agree to just let him walk, and not even ask for the 2mil buy out back, just mutual agreement to a release, and Nick agrees that as a true free agent that he'll stay out of the NFC E and do his best to stay out of the NFC.

b) If they did work out a way to keep Foles long enough to trade him, i dont think Fournette is the guy they'd want. Firstly they'd want picks, i could see a deal where the Eagles sent #25 and Foles for #7 and another 2nd round... So the jags get Foles, and still keep a first round pick. Eagles collect an extra second and move up to 7th. Or just Foles straight up for a gaggle of 2's and 3's or a future 1st (from a jags perspective, you could trade a 2020 1st with the expectation that with Foles, that's going to be a pick in the mid to high 20's, rather than #7 in 2019)

c) If players were involved i dont think Fournette would be high on the agenda.
I like Fournette as a player, he's a very good two down thumper... but that's kind of what he is. I think he'd chew up yards in the Ajayi role behind our line... but i dont know how much you want to pay that guy... im looking at OverTheCap and it looks to me as if he's on our books, we wouldnt take on the bonus so he'd be 3mil in 2019 and 4mil in 2019... its not too prohibitive, by i would rather take the high 2, and get the Bama guy Jacobs. Who is cheaper, younger and has greater cost control.
Sounds logical enough.

I think in the modern game, a 2 down guy is worth less and less. Because you then need a catching scat back to offset him. In a Pats offence, it works, coz they would rather pass to the back than actually run him... well... right up til this yr anyway. However, they love to run on short yardage, which is where Blount came into his own. That said, Belly aint paying what he would be asking either.

User avatar
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9031
Joined: March 13, 2010, 8:44 am
Favourite Player: Lindsey Pelas

Re: NFL Thread

Post by LP Raider » February 1, 2019, 6:19 pm

Pigman wrote:
January 26, 2019, 2:40 pm
LP Raider wrote:
November 28, 1974, 1:15 pm
Take the SB when they beat the Seahawks who play a zone defence, no one comments on how they picked away 5-6 yards on passing per down.

This is a very flexible and well coached team, the 2 weeks off gives the Patriots a massive advantage. Had Bill swallowed his pride last year and played Butler he would have had another ring.
And just on this. I don’t know what you read or listened to at the time but heavy levels of coverage were allotted to NE picking apart the cover 3.

And the idea that Butler plays and it’s a lock they win that game is absurd. I mean just from a IF stand point...

If NE lose the OT toss, they aren’t in this SB

If the Matt Ryan doesn’t take a sack, they lose the ATL Sb

If Seattle hand the ball to Lynch from the 1 yard line, they lose that SB

If Manningham sideline catch goes incomplete they win that SB.

If tyree doesn’t have the helmet catch they win that Sb

If Graham doesn’t strip sack Brady they win, if Foles drops the philly special, the Pats win, Alshon doesn’t gift them a int, Philly run away with it.

Maybe Butler makes a play or maybe he gets put on toast like every other corner did that way, including a few who are better than Butler haha

He isn’t Derelle **** Revis, he was having a pretty average year himself, and if BB felt he wasn’t able to contribute positively, I might give him the BOTD on that one given he’s the best coach to ever do it.
It appears my point of view is shared with those on ESPN, fancy that. Bahaha

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 23453
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: NFL Thread

Post by PigRickman » February 1, 2019, 7:35 pm

Well if some spitting hot take merchant ESPN said it...
If i defended a RL position by saying "well it appears my point of view is shared with those on Channel 9, fancy that. Bahaha" you'd consider revoking my rights to the internet... and you'd be right to do it.

Pro Football Focus rated Butler the #57 CB in the league this year
He was rated #51 by PFF in 2017.

Patrick Robinson (1st for slot, 11th over all), Stephon Gilmore (12th), Ronald Darby (23rd), Jalen Mills (56th)
Also on the field, Malcolm Jenkins, Rodney McLoud and Devin McCourty, all who graded higher than Butler in coveage...
Every single of of them got burnt time and time again.

But yeah, the what? 8th best DB in the game would have made the difference. :lol:
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5437
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » February 3, 2019, 10:04 am

Matt wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
January 23, 2019, 6:02 am
greeneyed wrote:Let’s face it, there’s no “right” reason for picking a team in a foreign country competing in a sport that’s also completely foreign in their upbringing. I liked the place when I visited. And the team played well when I became vaguely interested in the sport. Is there some other more acceptable rubric for choosing an NFL team I missed?
There’s the Fui method. Which team were you finally able to win with when you first started playing Madden
A perfectly acceptable method. Thats how I picked my NBA side, Charlotte Hornets, the Muggsy Bogues and Larry Johnson days, and my NHL side, Pitsburg Pengins with good old Jaromir Jagr at like 90 odd overall, because as we all know, there are 3 things set in life, death, taxes and Jaromir Jagr playing in the All Stars game. I dont have time to watch or play either now.

I dont really have time for sport much anymore. 2 kids makes that tougher. So, NBA is gone, my Soccer viewing is down to basic passing glances of the EPL and A-League and Australia FTA games - so, I barely know who is good and who isnt, and dont really recognize anyone anymore. BBL is now a case of only watching after my wife says 'there is nothing on'. AFL is down to the odd game once a month. Meaning my time is focused on Test Cricket, NRL and NFL. Its not enough IMO, but thats about as far as the time stretches these days.
Yeah apart from gaming, I’ve picked international sporting teams from players I loved watching;
SPL was Celtics because of Viduka (The green helped also)
EPL was Leeds because of Kewell, then Viduka. When they scored Fowler, that sealed the deal completely.
NBA was Raptors because of Vince Carter.
NHL was Ducks because of Charlie Conway, Adam Banks and Russ Tyler

I’m in the same boat as you, minus the kids. Just don’t have the time to get into sports as much as I used to. I’ve tried getting into AFL, following the Roos (No logic to picking them, just picked a team I like the colours of), but there’s not enough hours in the day to follow it all. I just browse the forums now to keep updated
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 31347
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt » February 3, 2019, 3:39 pm

Mahomes MVP
Donald Defensive player of the year

Post Reply