Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Gazman
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Gazman »

I would have liked us to have a go at Ryley Jacks. From the storm system and should be better than Sammy. He won’t get much of a chance at Titans now with Tyrone Roberts back.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Gazman wrote:I would have liked us to have a go at Ryley Jacks. From the storm system and should be better than Sammy. He won’t get much of a chance at Titans now with Tyrone Roberts back.

Pretty sure we did and he said no to us

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Have shifted the officiating discussion to Rugby League 2019... there were two discussions and this thread is about signing speculation.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I'm a little confused as to the Matt Dufty stuff completely going away, since it's now obvious he's playing off the bench in 2019.
I guess he's 1st in line to be fullback in 2020, but a year is a long time.
AUSTEZER
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by AUSTEZER »

What's the News with Dylan Edwards and Alex Johnston
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Beejay wrote: January 30, 2019, 10:04 am I'm a little confused as to the Matt Dufty stuff completely going away, since it's now obvious he's playing off the bench in 2019.
I guess he's 1st in line to be fullback in 2020, but a year is a long time.
I think you will find he will be in reserve grade.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

AUSTEZER wrote: January 30, 2019, 10:10 am What's the News with Dylan Edwards and Alex Johnston
Offically, they are both staying put.
Unofficially.... who knows?!?
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Gazman wrote: January 29, 2019, 6:03 am I would have liked us to have a go at Ryley Jacks. From the storm system and should be better than Sammy. He won’t get much of a chance at Titans now with Tyrone Roberts back.

We did go after him and yet he choose the Titans even though he was would have been guaranteed the 6 jersey with us.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think we're going to have to sit tight
its easy for players and teams to keep the status quo right now, Edwards, Johnston, Duffy whoever... they're training now, no one is playing games, they all think right now they'll win their spots and it's the other guy who'll be looking for a new job. Once the season kicks off and these guys know exactly where they stand... we'll see some movement then

I think if we're going to get one of these dudes, it's more likely to be once the trials have started and people start to know where they stand and about a month into the season.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

With Junior the rumours started on here in October 2015 and he signed just before kick off in 2016 for the following year but the eventual early release took until mid year.

Tapine rumours started in early January 2016 and we had signed him by Feb for the next season. I think he was released early by round 1.

So it wouldn't be without precedent for us at this late stage to lock up someone good for 2020 and try and force a release. That glorious few months of competent recruitement was such a long time ago though.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Alex Johnston might stay put since Inglis is out for a few weeks at the start of the season and apparently 15Kgs overweight

In Ricky We Trust
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Pigman wrote: January 30, 2019, 7:34 pm I think we're going to have to sit tight
its easy for players and teams to keep the status quo right now, Edwards, Johnston, Duffy whoever... they're training now, no one is playing games, they all think right now they'll win their spots and it's the other guy who'll be looking for a new job. Once the season kicks off and these guys know exactly where they stand... we'll see some movement then

I think if we're going to get one of these dudes, it's more likely to be once the trials have started and people start to know where they stand and about a month into the season.
Yea and clubs also might be more willing to release a player when it’s clear they are not a first choice starter, right now it could well be 50/50 whether Cleary goes with DWZ or Edwards at fullback, If DWZ absolutely kills it in the opening month of football they might well be more willing to let Edwards go, Also if the panthers forwards for example suffer a few injuries or aren’t cutting the mustard then they might want to free up some cash to chase a middle forward where they look a bit light imo
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

kiwi raider wrote: January 31, 2019, 5:46 am
Pigman wrote: January 30, 2019, 7:34 pm I think we're going to have to sit tight

Yea and clubs also might be more willing to release a player when it’s clear they are not a first choice starter, right now it could well be 50/50 whether Cleary goes with DWZ or Edwards at fullback, If DWZ absolutely kills it in the opening month of football they might well be more willing to let Edwards go, Also if the panthers forwards for example suffer a few injuries or aren’t cutting the mustard then they might want to free up some cash to chase a middle forward where they look a bit light imo
Also, every month that goes by is another month's salary the recruiting club doesn't pay. Recruiting in the first week of April rather than the first week of January saves you $75K on a $300K player for the loss of a couple of rounds of football*.

* Please note I don't know if this is how it actually works but it makes sense to me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That is how it works.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The problem is every extra month also represents a sunk cost for the Panthers as it hits their cap. If they have paid him a 3rd of his salary already he might not be worth offloading.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Brew wrote:Alex Johnston might stay put since Inglis is out for a few weeks at the start of the season and apparently 15Kgs overweight

Is that right?
Wayne Bennett: I see Inglis as a fullback.
GI: Hold my beer, nah **** that - give it back I've got some weight to put on.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

If he is that out of shape surely he comes back as a centre as well.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Greg Inglis had minor surgery on a neck complaint that hampered him for much of the 2018 season and has been given an extended break. He's expected back in full training in January: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/23/cas ... jury-news/

And a knee injury: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 812ad90237
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

edwahu wrote: February 1, 2019, 6:33 am The problem is every extra month also represents a sunk cost for the Panthers as it hits their cap. If they have paid him a 3rd of his salary already he might not be worth offloading.
Yeah but if he doesn't want to be there because he is playing reggies or out of position then they'd be stupid to stand in his way
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

There was an article saying today that Edwards has won the #1 jumper over DWZ in preseason.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Matt wrote: February 1, 2019, 2:32 pm There was an article saying today that Edwards has won the #1 jumper over DWZ in preseason.
poop
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Matt wrote:There was an article saying today that Edwards has won the #1 jumper over DWZ in preseason.
Link please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

El_Capitano wrote: February 1, 2019, 2:41 pm
Matt wrote:There was an article saying today that Edwards has won the #1 jumper over DWZ in preseason.
Link please?

Was from Sporting News. 3rd headline.
https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/ ... hnz3kfn9ug
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Should be chasing DWZ then.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They're not the most reliable of media organisations.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

I read that as when fully fit DWZ will head back to fullback.

How soon IS now?
luke
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by luke »

El_Capitano wrote: February 1, 2019, 3:06 pm I read that as when fully fit DWZ will head back to fullback.

"forcing last year's No.1 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak to the wing"
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

luke wrote:
El_Capitano wrote: February 1, 2019, 3:06 pm I read that as when fully fit DWZ will head back to fullback.

“While recovering from shoulder surgery” I just can’t see them putting the Kiwi fullback on the wing

How soon IS now?
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

El_Capitano wrote:
luke wrote:

“While recovering from shoulder surgery” I just can’t see them putting the Kiwi fullback on the wing

His not really the kiwi fullback though. If everyone is fit he is on the Wing for the kiwis.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

edwahu wrote: February 1, 2019, 3:00 pm Should be chasing DWZ then.
Spot on
Both these dudes want to play fullback... let Penrith pick their dude and lets go and get the other
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Ruben Daley wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: January 31, 2019, 5:46 am

Also, every month that goes by is another month's salary the recruiting club doesn't pay. Recruiting in the first week of April rather than the first week of January saves you $75K on a $300K player for the loss of a couple of rounds of football*.

* Please note I don't know if this is how it actually works but it makes sense to me.
How does this work in terms of finalising top 30s?

If all clubs need to finalise a top 30 before the season starts then you’d only save the difference between the player wage and minimum over that period.

If you’re allowed to leave one or more spots open then you absolutely should gamble on not needing your top 30 and only fill the spots as late as possible? Image
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

You have to have 24 by November 1, 29 by kick off and 30 by June 30.

Most sides are just filling minimum wage spots after November 1, so it doesn't make much difference even if it was pro-rated. Plus it's a competitive market so if you hold off youre going to get worse players.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Ben Barba will be looking for a new club...
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Haha
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

NRL won't let him back so soon. Cows have just sacked him.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk