Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Austin, Boyd and Paulo were out the door early in 2018 so there really is no excuse for being this far into pre-season with so so much uncertainty in key positions.

With 6 weeks until round one, Ricky hasn't left himself much time to develop combinations given how important the halves and fullback are to our success in 2019.
Junior
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: laurie daley

Post by Junior »

Anyone that watches the ESL. Is there any good fullbacks or half backs running around there?
Even though ESL fullbacks and halves don't translate well into the NRL.
But it's been fruitful for Canberra. Maybe it could work
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Just seen something interesting on FB. There is someone saying that Bennett isnt impressed by young FB Corey Allan. Given GI will play FB, if fit, and they still have AJ, thoughts on us grabbing him?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bennett presumably let him go from the Broncos, so it could fit that he'd be prepared to move him on. But he is contracted to the Rabbitohs to end 2021.

No NRL games, so it is a much bigger risk than Edwards. Still Meninga was prepared to pick him for the PM's XIII: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ive-h ... 322283ecf5

Name: Corey Allan
Date of Birth: 19 April 1998
Place of Birth: Brisbane, QLD
Height: 186cm
Weight: 90kg
Position: Fullback, wing
Junior Club: Logan Brothers
Rep Honours: Australian Commonwealth Championships (2018); Junior Kangaroos (2017); Queensland under 20s (2017); Queensland under 18s (2016)

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/ ... e-seasons/

Souths Logan Magpies statistics: https://www.qrl.com.au/players/intrust- ... rey-allan/

Meet Corey Allan: https://www.facebook.com/nrl/videos/mee ... 171128074/
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

There are huge raps on this kid. I would have thought AJ would be let go before him.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

He was a ridiculous selection in the PMs XIII which definitely added to the hype. Bennett would've seen a lot of him and he is still one of the best judges around, so I would be cautious.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Junior wrote: January 26, 2019, 7:16 am Anyone that watches the ESL. Is there any good fullbacks or half backs running around there?
Even though ESL fullbacks and halves don't translate well into the NRL.
But it's been fruitful for Canberra. Maybe it could work
There are plenty of both that would be useful, but the season starts next week, so I can't see that being a route at this stage. You best bet is disaffected Aussies.

One player who does seem to be imploding away from home is Albert Kelly - and with good reason, considering his concussion issues. He's showing all the signs of someone who is about to be 'homesick'.

I can't think he'd be the answer to any question that doesn't include the word desperate.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

edwahu wrote:He was a ridiculous selection in the PMs XIII which definitely added to the hype. Bennett would've seen a lot of him and he is still one of the best judges around, so I would be cautious.
I think these days Bennett is a better judge of 'character' than 'talent', which is important no doubt.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

Any more news on the NZ rugby sevens player Sione Molia? Just watching him play now on fox sports channel 507 looks a pretty good player!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

There hasn't been any news at all other than your post. Where did you hear about it? Are you sure it wasn't Simonsson?

Seems very unlikely he would join this year since he just started a new sevens season.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

MrPosh wrote: There are plenty of both that would be useful, but the season starts next week, so I can't see that being a route at this stage. You best bet is disaffected Aussies.
Not sure that’s a great idea Poshy. That is generally going to mean they tried here first and failed. No thanks.

Plus we’ve been severely burned on this front before...

An up and coming Brit whose never tasted NRL before or nothing I reckon.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Maybe not disaffected... but a player looking for an opportunity to play first grade in their favoured position.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:Maybe not disaffected... but a player looking for an opportunity to play first grade in their favoured position.
I took his post as disaffected Aussies in Superleague (particularly given the next paragraph on Kelly). If they’re not getting an opportunity in first grade superleague they can definitely stay there!

If he meant disaffected Aussies at home then sure.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: January 27, 2019, 12:44 pm
greeneyed wrote:Maybe not disaffected... but a player looking for an opportunity to play first grade in their favoured position.
I took his post as disaffected Aussies in Superleague (particularly given the next paragraph on Kelly). If they’re not getting an opportunity in first grade superleague they can definitely stay there!

If he meant disaffected Aussies at home then sure.
I was taking it to be the latter.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Nadruku »

edwahu wrote:There hasn't been any news at all other than your post. Where did you hear about it? Are you sure it wasn't Simonsson?

Seems very unlikely he would join this year since he just started a new sevens season.
Green machine podcast mentioned it just before Christmas

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But that has no reliable source. Some person said it on Facebook... nothing else.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Nadruku »

greeneyed wrote:But that has no reliable source. Some person said it on Facebook... nothing else.
Yeah I know just asking if anyone heard anything. I don’t trust much on Facebook but thought the GreenMachine podcast might of been a reliable source

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That doesn’t seem to be the case. He’s played this weekend for New Zealand in the Hamilton Sevens.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12196610

I saw the original source on Facebook... and I didn’t think it was reliable.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Does anyone know if he is any good?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

FROG wrote: January 27, 2019, 7:13 pm Does anyone know if he is any good?
He is a good Union sevens player.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

gangrenous wrote: January 27, 2019, 11:38 am
MrPosh wrote: There are plenty of both that would be useful, but the season starts next week, so I can't see that being a route at this stage. You best bet is disaffected Aussies.
Not sure that’s a great idea Poshy. That is generally going to mean they tried here first and failed. No thanks.

Plus we’ve been severely burned on this front before...

An up and coming Brit whose never tasted NRL before or nothing I reckon.
Sorry, mate, for not being clear. I should have put disaffected in inverted commas.

I meant that if you took a fancy to, say, George Williams or one of the up and comers like Danny Richardson or Jake Trueman, it's too late to sign them - without an unprecedented transfer fee, which isn't going to happen.

But say you wanted Albert Kelly or Jackson Hastings - who was very impressive last year - these guys can be more easily obtained through the player becoming 'homesick' or even having 'serious family issues'.

I think that's the only chance to get a player out of the ESL at this stage.
Last edited by MrPosh on January 27, 2019, 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yeah, that was the way I took your post. I agree with your logic completely on the likelihood - I just would prefer no recruit than to sign an Aussie from the ESL.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

gangrenous wrote: January 27, 2019, 10:18 pm Yeah, that was the way I took your post. I agree with your logic completely on the likelihood - I just would prefer no recruit than to sign an Aussie from the ESL.
Certainly there's no need for another Sam Williams.

Hastings would be interesting, though. Left the NRL under a cloud, as opposed to not getting a game.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I know Hastings has had off field “issues” although none exactly verified or clarified - maybe just a prickly personality. I don’t think he’s ever really had a fair shake of the sauce bottle at any of his clubs...

Would definitely take him on a 2 year deal as a 5/8 - he’d be an upgrade there whilst also providing some versatility if we somehow lucked into recruiting a better half the following year.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Hastings definitely worth a shot
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Hastings was a terrible player. What have people seen him do which would suggest he is worth a shot?
Last edited by edwahu on January 28, 2019, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think our halves recruitment has reached the same point as Australian politics. Fans will take anybody off the street simply because they’re not the incumbents.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

edwahu wrote: January 28, 2019, 11:40 am Hastings was a terrible player. What have people seen him do which would suggest he is worth a shot?
I don’t think he’s ever been given a proper shot at a halves role forced into bench/utility/limited minutes. When has he had a coach back him and hand him a locked down halves role for a continuous run of games?

Ok he’s not a world beater but I’ve seen him organise and direct play pretty well from 6 or 9 when he’s had a shot, and his defence is above average. Surely he’s better than a squad body, and I’m not sure he’s not better than at least one of Sezer/Willians!!

MrPosh will enlighten us further no doubt (love having your Pommy insights on the board by the way Posh - you’re a valuable resource on here)... but it sounds as though when Hastings was thrown the keys by Salford, he’s been up to the task?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m in the Hastings hasn’t showed much basket.

Performed worse than Austin at all levels and has a terrible track record off the field.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

No thanks on Hastings

How soon IS now?
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Didn’t the Roosters get the spoon when Hastings got given the starting role after Pearce got suspended? He was very young but hasn’t really shown anything at NRL level.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I’d pass on Hastings
I don’t think we should be spending ANY money on one in a million shots with talented dudes who have flamed out badly at multiple spots

Keep our powder dry, identify a super talent kid who projects to be a superstar half
Pay him to be a superstar now, godfather offer him, and roll the dice there
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

mamando wrote: January 28, 2019, 12:20 pm
edwahu wrote: January 28, 2019, 11:40 am Hastings was a terrible player. What have people seen him do which would suggest he is worth a shot?
I don’t think he’s ever been given a proper shot at a halves role forced into bench/utility/limited minutes. When has he had a coach back him and hand him a locked down halves role for a continuous run of games?

Ok he’s not a world beater but I’ve seen him organise and direct play pretty well from 6 or 9 when he’s had a shot, and his defence is above average. Surely he’s better than a squad body, and I’m not sure he’s not better than at least one of Sezer/Willians!!

MrPosh will enlighten us further no doubt (love having your Pommy insights on the board by the way Posh - you’re a valuable resource on here)... but it sounds as though when Hastings was thrown the keys by Salford, he’s been up to the task?
Just to be clear, there are no rumours about Hastings - I was just using him as an example. If fact, he vociferously committed himself to Salford after half of Super League (including Wigan and Leeds) tried to sign him.

He has been very impressive so far for Salford - completely controlling games and leading the team around the park. However, it should be noted that most of his games were in the Middle 8s - the bottom four of SL and the top four of the next league down (some part-time). He should have been able to dominate those teams. It's hard to tell whether Hastings particularly thrives as a big fish in a small pond, which means he would always struggle in the NRL or whether he is a decent player that's just not had a break until now.

I find it surprising the number of players who are given the 'no thanks' treatment on here. It's as if every signing needs to be better than the best player in the squad, rather than just the worst.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Agree with your last point Posh. The guy is in his early 20’s with 40-50 NRL games experience, playing the position that is year after year the most difficult to recruit for.

If he was to ever to become “homesick” he’d surely be worth at least kicking the tyres on? It’s been bemoaned on here plenty of times that we aren’t a “destination club” for free agents... someone like Hastings certainly wouldn’t break the bank on a 2 year deal if he was hungry for another shot
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If his not well liked by his teammates at those inbred **** Manly how will he fit in here with a more refined and sophisticated playing group? He'll drag the playing group down, and BJ will blow any chance at becoming the next Governor General - such a statesman that bloke.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017