NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: NFL Thread

Post by greeneyed »

the bone wrote: January 21, 2019, 1:03 pm
greeneyed wrote:I'm not much liking this second half.

What are you doing in Toronto, the bone?
I moved over here in August on a two-year work visa. Loving it so far. Have you ever been to Toronto?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
No, I've only been to Ottawa in Canada. Nice place.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

YES, YES, YES!
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Patriots win. Seems unfair KC didn’t get a chance to touch the ball... wonder if that’ll change as the NFL becomes more offence-centric

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I absolutely hate the NFL overtime rules. Why aren't we getting to see Mahomes have a chance to answer?
Just ridiculous. This is an offensive game. Everything is slated in favour of offence. So let both offences have a shot.

Credit to the pats, as soon as they won the toss it was a fait accompli

Pats v Rams
I think the Pats win and win well.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: January 21, 2019, 1:15 pm I absolutely hate the NFL overtime rules. Why aren't we getting to see Mahomes have a chance to answer?
Just ridiculous.

Pats v Rams
Not sure Id go that far, but it was certainly swayed heavily in Brady/ Belly time favor.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Three cheers for the Patriots ... hip.... urgh can't do it.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Pigman wrote:I absolutely hate the NFL overtime rules. Why aren't we getting to see Mahomes have a chance to answer?
Just ridiculous. This is an offensive game. Everything is slated in favour of offence. So let both offences have a shot.

Pats v Rams
Agreed, Pats will win in a canter

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: January 21, 2019, 1:31 pm
Pigman wrote:I absolutely hate the NFL overtime rules. Why aren't we getting to see Mahomes have a chance to answer?

Pats v Rams
Agreed, Pats will win in a canter

Screw it! Rams the thrash them :cmon
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote: January 21, 2019, 1:15 pm I absolutely hate the NFL overtime rules. Why aren't we getting to see Mahomes have a chance to answer?

Pats v Rams
Yeah, too much riding on the toss in OT. Give both teams 1 possession before sudden death, particularly in playoffs.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Won't happen but MVP should go to Pats o-line. They kept Brady clean the whole night.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Two round mock draft. I don't watch a whole lot of college ball, so this is mostly based on what I've read and matching positions with team needs. I've made a couple of free agency assumptions... eg Jags get a QB in free agency (seems more likely given the rest of their squad is decent). Obviously the outcome of the Superbowl will determine the last two spots of each round.

Team # Pick Pos.
Cardinals 1 Nick Bosa DE
49ers 2 Rashan Gary DE
Jets 3 Josh Allen OLB
Raiders 4 Quinnen Williams DT
Buccs 5 Greedy Williams CB
Giants 6 Dwayne Haskins QB
Jaguars 7 Jonah Williams T/G
Lions 8 Clelin Ferrell DE
Bills 9 Cody Ford T/G
Broncos 10 Daniel Jones QB
Bengals 11 Devin White ILB
Packers 12 Jeffery Simmons DT
Dolphins 13 Kyler Murray QB
Falcons 14 Ed Oliver DT
Redskins 15 K'Neal Harry WR
Panthers 16 Jachai Polite DE
Browns 17 Jawaan Taylor T
Vikings 18 Greg Little T
Titans 19 Marquise Brown WR
Steelers 20 Devin Bush OLB
Seahawks 21 Christian Wilkins DT
Ravens 22 D.K. Metcalf WR
Texans 23 Deionte Thompson S
Raiders 24 Montez Sweat DE
Eagles 25 Deandre Baker CB
Colts 26 Dexter Lawrence DT
Raiders 27 Byron Murphy CB
Chargers 28 Dre'Mont Jones DT
Chiefs 29 Brian Burns DE
Packers 30 Nasir Adderley S
Rams 31 Jaylon Ferguson DE
Patriots 32 Noah Fant TE
Cardinals 33 Dalton Risner C/G
Colts 34 A.J. Brown WR
Raiders 35 Josh Jacobs RB
49ers 36 Omani Oruwariye CB
Giants 37 Yodny Cajuste T
Jaguars 38 Irv Smith Jr. TE
Buccs 39 Taylor Rapp S
Bills 40 Kelvin Harmon WR
Broncos 41 Trayvon Mullen CB
Bengals 42 Drew Lock QB
Lions 43 Johnathon Abram S
Packers 44 Beau Benzschawel G
Falcons 45 David Edwards T
Redskins 46 Will Grier QB
Panthers 47 Juan Thornhill S
Dolphins 48 Zach Allen DE
Browns 49 JJ Arcega-Whiteside WR
Vikings 50 Mack Wilson ILB
Titans 51 Jerry Tillery DT
Steelers 52 Oshane Ximines DE
Eagles 53 Damien Harris RB
Texans 54 Chris Lindstrom G
Texans 55 Julian Love CB
Patriots 56 T.J Edwards ILB
Eagles 57 Andre Dillard T
Cowboys 58 Jaquan Johnson S
Colts 59 Chase Winovich DE
Chargers 60 Elgton Jenkins T
Chiefs 61 Gerald Willis DT
Saints 62 T.J. Hockenson TE
Chiefs 63 David Montgomery RB
Patriots 64 Isaiah Buggs DE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: January 21, 2019, 2:27 pm 49ers 2 Rashan Gary DE
Raiders 4 Quinnen Williams DT
Buccs 5 Greedy Williams CB
Giants 6 Dwayne Haskins QB
Broncos 10 Daniel Jones QB
Early in the process and things could change dramatically, i probably only know about 20 players intimately right now, and maybe i'll feel differently about them as we go through, but those 5 stuck out to me

1. I think Gary is a top 2 player, ive got him behind Bosa, Williams, Oliver Simmons and Farrell along the DL. Also the Niners have spend 3 first rounders on the DL. Not sure they'll go that direction again, even though it's kind of still a need because Thomas and Armstead have been pretty big busts.

2. Quinnen Williams falling to #4 would shock me, even if it's a small fall, that just strikes me as something that wont happen. He's going to be compared to Aaron Donald a lot in terms of playing style. I think he's top 2, maybe even #1. If the jets pass on him, ill be stunned.

3. Greedy Williams is someone i know a bit about because he got mocked to Philly a bunch early. All the physical tools and is dominant when he wants to be. I think that's probably a bit high for him right now but it wont shock me if that's exactly where he ends up.

4. Taking height out of consideration, i dont think Haskins should be going ahead of Murray. Haskins will go as a first rounder and certain the Giants will be in that mix, along with the skins, Jags, Broncos, Pats, Saints etc... Qb's always get pushed up so it wouldnt shock me but i dont think he should be taken over Murray.

5. This is exactly what im expecting. I think he's going to be the sort of QB Elway falls for. I dont really rate him, though admittedly my opinions right now are not based on any serious reserach, just my initial take off very limited highlights package looks
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

There was clear evidence from the 4 split screens that he didn't touch, just saying.
WorkChoice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

LP Raider wrote: January 21, 2019, 5:18 pm There was clear evidence from the 4 split screens that he didn't touch, just saying.
Look, this comes down to a bunch of stuff... there was certainly a few shots that indicated no touch, at two shots to me that looked like it might have touched... none of that matters really... one because they threw an INT 2 plays later, so ultimately no harm was done, but the rules are written a certain way to avoid this. The rule requires clear and irrefutable evidence, every media/matter of facts account of this play has said "this was a 50/50, could have gone either way" and i think that's 100% true... which means the call should have stayed by rule

Like no one is arguing the Edelman catch, no one is arguing the Hogan drop. If a bunch of reporters and media guys are sitting there arguing about whether it touched or not... that's a stay. When in doubt it's a stay.

That's just how the rule is supposed to be administered.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

But the split screens showed it, beyond doubt. Therefore the ruling.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

I can't get excited about this Superb Owl.

Hoping Goff, Gurley, Talib and Peters all have career days.

**** the Pats.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 21, 2019, 1:34 pm

Pats v Rams
Yeah, too much riding on the toss in OT. Give both teams 1 possession before sudden death, particularly in playoffs.
100% its the only fair way. You can probably go back to posts of mine in this thread, including OT wins by the eagles where i caveat my excitement for those wins about how i dont think the rule is fair
It's just a bad rule

Imagine if in a soccer wc, at the end of regulation they went straight to a shoot out, and if the first team kicking scored, that was it. As the game evolves to be such an offensive exhibition, that's what this is.
You cant slide the entire rule book and strategic direction of the game towards promoting offence and increasing touchdowns and then not give the other team a right of reply on a touchdown.

If Mahomes gets the ball first, they march and score and then the greatest QB of all time heads out the back door without touching the ball. That's not what i tune in for. Its just not. I want Tom Brady and Patty Mahomes TRADING haymakers and let the chips fall where they may after that
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 21, 2019, 7:28 pm But the split screens showed it, beyond doubt. Therefore the ruling.
:roll: :roll:
Ok. Sure. I've said it before, it's pointless debating these things with you when there is a rooting interest. You've shown no ability to do so. The call was clear, he absolutely never touched the ball. It's a wonder they ever even RULED it a muff to begin with.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Arem’t we supposed to just accept the calls of the officials these days? That’s what we’re doing on The GH now isn’t it?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The call ultimately didnt matter, Brady threw a pick 2 plays later. You can pollute the rest of the board with this Bull, GE. There is undoubtedly some SOO or Raiders thread you can engage in this **** until your hearts content
This thread is really fun and enjoyable because it's NFL fans who love the game and enjoy having an avenue to chat to other fans who share the passion.

Im not interested in you dragging a good, enjoyable thread into that gutter.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That is so unfair!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think there is some lasting impacts from today's games. The officiating in both games was very subpar and the takeaway from both games.
The competition committee has been very hesitant to make significant changes in the past but some major rule changes could be on the cards. I think at the very least they're going to make PI and roughing the passer reviewable in some format.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I have no vested interest in either call, other than knowing the team that knocked mine out is going to the SB.

However... I think the Edelman one was correct. I think the video replays showed no touch. I know all the media are jumping up and down about this one, but I think it was the correct call. It was just seen as justice by the slighted that Brady throws a pick 2 plays later. So, in the end, no harm no foul.

BTW, Im sure Belly would have given him a spray for that anyway. He waved the return off, then tried to pickup the loose bouncing ball. DUMB!

As for fouls....
That no PI... well... yeah that was an awful non call. It probably cost the Saints the game. However, as Piggy mentioned earlier, and I agree, they had plenty of chances to win that game. In fact, had they actually made the Rams pay in the 1st quarter, the game may well have been over by halftime. They squandered 2 drives that should have resulted in TDs. A drop in the end zone never helps. For GE's benefit, this is a definite example of 'you should have won despite the refs'.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Pigman wrote: January 21, 2019, 7:26 pm
LP Raider wrote: January 21, 2019, 5:18 pm There was clear evidence from the 4 split screens that he didn't touch, just saying.
Look, this comes down to a bunch of stuff... there was certainly a few shots that indicated no touch, at two shots to me that looked like it might have touched... none of that matters really... one because they threw an INT 2 plays later, so ultimately no harm was done, but the rules are written a certain way to avoid this. The rule requires clear and irrefutable evidence, every media/matter of facts account of this play has said "this was a 50/50, could have gone either way" and i think that's 100% true... which means the call should have stayed by rule

Like no one is arguing the Edelman catch, no one is arguing the Hogan drop. If a bunch of reporters and media guys are sitting there arguing about whether it touched or not... that's a stay. When in doubt it's a stay.

If you split the screens there is irrefutable evidence he did not touch it. There is one angle where there is clear separation and on the front on shot it looks like he touch it. Split the screens which they would have done in NY and the correct call made, there is no 50/50 in this situation only opinions.

It is a non issue because no one is talking about it and the call was correct.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Matt wrote: January 22, 2019, 7:54 am I have no vested interest in either call, other than knowing the team that knocked mine out is going to the SB.

However... I think the Edelman one was correct. I think the video replays showed no touch. I know all the media are jumping up and down about this one, but I think it was the correct call. It was just seen as justice by the slighted that Brady throws a pick 2 plays later. So, in the end, no harm no foul.

BTW, Im sure Belly would have given him a spray for that anyway. He waved the return off, then tried to pickup the loose bouncing ball. DUMB!

As for fouls....
That no PI... well... yeah that was an awful non call. It probably cost the Saints the game. However, as Piggy mentioned earlier, and I agree, they had plenty of chances to win that game. In fact, had they actually made the Rams pay in the 1st quarter, the game may well have been over by halftime. They squandered 2 drives that should have resulted in TDs. A drop in the end zone never helps. For GE's benefit, this is a definite example of 'you should have won despite the refs'.
Common Pig, honestly I don't think I despise the Liberal Party more than you do the Patriots.

Maybe I underestimate myself.
WorkChoice
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

LP Raider wrote: January 22, 2019, 5:39 pm
Matt wrote: January 22, 2019, 7:54 am I have no vested interest in either call, other than knowing the team that knocked mine out is going to the SB.

As for fouls....
Common Pig, honestly I don't think I despise the Liberal Party more than you do the Patriots.

Maybe I underestimate myself.
Huh?!?
I hate the Giants.
Not big fans of the skins.
Eagles i can take or leave.
Yes, id like to see the Pats lose, like most people, but dont hate them. Just more a case of, give someone else a go
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

LP Raider wrote: January 22, 2019, 5:35 pm
Pigman wrote: January 21, 2019, 7:26 pm

If you split the screens there is irrefutable evidence he did not touch it. There is one angle where there is clear separation and on the front on shot it looks like he touch it. Split the screens which they would have done in NY and the correct call made, there is no 50/50 in this situation only opinions.

It is a non issue because no one is talking about it and the call was correct.
I listened to half a dozen podcasts today, i'll listen to another half dozen tomorrow.

Around the NFL, MMQB, Pick 6, Ringer NFL, BS Pod, Bill Barnwell pod and Ross Tucker... These are all maned by serious seasoned veteran reporters, almost all of which dont have a dog in the fight. Views were pretty split. Most agreed like me, that he probably didnt touch it, some thought there was evidence to over turn, at least half said they wouldnt have been stunned to see the call stay and that it was 50/50... I'm looking at replays and seeing some doubt, im looking at analysts across many platforms who are unsure... all the over replay calls it was unanimous, because it was clear... this was not clear, evidently it was not clear. It's a classic case where throughout this season the call has stood... Twitter search "ball dont lie" and you'll see how many questioned that call. Haha.

The reason it's not a big deal is because:
a) the NO-LAR call was one of the worst in sports history and overshadows it.
b) as did about 4-5 other major calls this week
c) the reason it was overshadowed was because seconds later, the chiefs got the ball anyways - hence "Ball dont lie"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What an amazing franchise the Patriots are. Most consecutive conference championship appearances (eight). A record 11th Super Bowl appearance, chance to tie for most Super Bowl wins now. Three straight Super Bowl appearances, just three teams have done it. No doubt, surely, that Brady is the GOAT. Great to see such a professional organisation rewarded with so much success.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Undoubtedly so at this point.
Remarkable that in a league so heavily skewed in parity has produced a dynasty that's last this long. At this point, you can argue about pure talent/ability of Brady, but the resumes are what they are. Brady is the best QB of all time and BB is the greatest coach of all time. Remarkable that they are still so dominant.

As for professional organisation being "rewarded" with so much success? yeah that's a hard pass. They're insanely successful which should be respected but they've pushed every possible on and off field boundary to be so. They are insanely success in large part because they will do anything, and everything to achieve it. Including manipulating, bending, and outright breaking the rules to do so. Their collective position and push to win at ALL costs is great if you're a fan of theirs, and a little bit off colour if your not. They're the Roosters/Broncos/Storm on Steroids.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

They are privileged scum and I detest them.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've found this website to be amusing... and if it is to be believed, the Pats are below average on the "cheating" scale. https://yourteamcheats.com/cheaters/

Everyone is in that game by the looks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I love Boston and New England... it is a beautiful place, it would be a great place to live... and they have a champion football team. Must be fun living there. I can only admire the Patriots organisation. They are professional and winnners. It'd be nice if we had that level of professionalism at another sports team I follow.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 22, 2019, 8:29 pm I've found this website to be amusing... and if it is to be believed, the Pats are below average on the "cheating" scale. https://yourteamcheats.com/cheaters/

Everyone is in that game by the looks.
And i'm sure if someone did a similar site for the NRL and the Broncos and Roosters came out below average... And they would... you'd accept it?
Or no?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also, it is very much worth noting that Robert Kraft is a personal friend and major donor to Donald Trump. BB and Tom Brady are both considered close personal friends, both of which have on the record endorsements of such of Donald Trump...

so you make of that what you will.
Like imagine if Don Furner, Ricky Stuart and Jarod Croker endorsed a Pauline Hanson platform... the shame would be unimaginable.