NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Botman »

Dabo and Sunshine Lawrence piling dirt on the Bama corpse here. Outplaying them and out coaching them.
That fake FG run into the teeth of an NFL level DL for Clemson playing for the fake was... ill advised to say the least... by all means go for it, but leave Tua and offence on if you're going to go for it
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Deonte Thompson’s draft stock may have dipped after this outing

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Per Marcel Louis-Jacques on Twitter:

"Clemson’s main contributors at the skill positions are all coming back next year (minus Hunter Renfrow).

That’s Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Amari Rodgers, Travis Etienne and (perhaps) Tavien Feaster. With Trevor Lawrence under center. And two 5* WRs coming in.

Buckle up for 2019"

Im gonna check back in on college football in 2022 when Ross, Etienne and Lawrence are out of the programme and see whats up. Until then, the time is Dabo's.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Arians to coach Buccs... ummm... WOW!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

My thoughts on the hires so far

Packers: Matt LaFleur - This feels like a total "next McVey" type of hire but this one i think has a chance to work. I think as long as Rodgers buys into it, and that's no sure thing. But if he does, Rodgers is going to get a highly schemed system where he's going to actually get to run an offence where the scheme might help him to stay on schedule and make quick decisive throws to open guys. Rather than just having to rely on Davonte Adams to get a little seperation and have Rodgers make an insane throw.

Cardinal: Kliff Kingsbury: THE quintessential "next McVey" hire. Christ they even spruiked Kingsbury's friendship in the presser! I think this could be anywhere on ths scale of 0-100 on the diaster to great scale. I dont hold his time a time at Texas Tech against him, in college football, you just cant really compete properly unless you're one of the big time colleges because when you run into those big schools who have 5 star recruits as back ups, and you're rolling out 3-4 star starers... its just not fair. One things for sure, this will be an interesting team to see, they'll either be exciting because they're good and fun, or they'll be exciting because they'll be a train wreck.

Broncos: Vic Fangio: Really like this hire. Firstly it hurts the bears and im cool with that. But otherwise, this is at least a hire that isnt the copy cat league stuff. I dont know if Vic Fangio is going to be a very good HC, but i dont think he'll be awful. I see him a little Zimmer-ish. And Gary Kubiak is coming back to be the OC, so you're kind of going to have Kubiak as O-HC and Vic as D-HC, i think that's a good pairing. The only problem they have is the QB, they gotta find one... Teddy B looms.

Tampa Bay: Bruce Arians: Another one i think is pretty solid. I like the staff he's put together too. Bowles as a DC is a slam dunk, there isnt much talent there but he has always done a decent job as a DC. They'll need to invest in the D though. BA has himself and Leftwich running the offence, they are big fans of big, deep and aggressive passing concepts, which works perfectly with Winston's skillset. I dont think Winston is very good but the talent is clearly there and if anyone can save him, it's BA.

Cleveland: Freddie Kitchens: I like Freddie, he seems like a really good guy and an awesome OC. His relationship with Mayfield is clearly as the forefront of this hire. A few things worry me about this, firstly, promoting Kitchens probably means he spends LESS time with Mayfield, not more. Sure it keeps him in the building but Mayfield is going to be dealing with a new QB coach and new OC who arent going to be Freddie. Secondly, it just feels like this "promote the OC to keep the QB happy" thing rarely works out. Tampa did this exact thing with Dirk Koetter for Jameis and that was a diaster. And finally, Kitchens is a Bruce Arians guy, and he's cleaning out most of the staff, have to think most of the guys Kitchens wanted are already aligned with Arians. His staff hires are going to be important.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cant disagree with any of that, except that I think Foles is going to be a massive trade prospect, and the Bronx will go after him for sure. TBH, a few teams will, like Div rivals, the Giants.

I cant see Cards being competitive next yr, but I think they could be a fun team to watch, even if its to watch them lose in exciting ways - I see a Raiders like comparison here.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

Not sure Broncs will want Foles. The Keenum gamble didn't work so they may look to the draft?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sossman wrote: January 10, 2019, 9:20 am Not sure Broncs will want Foles. The Keenum gamble didn't work so they may look to the draft?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
QB class this year looks very ordinary. Foles would be a decent fit in Kubiak's offence.
But if i were Denver i'd probably stick with Keenum for a year
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

IND Colts @ KC Cheifs
IND +5.0 / $2.85 H2H
KCC -5.0 / $1.44 H2H
Total: 57.0

Going to do a bit of a quick analysis here, but for me this game is going to be really close and i think Indy have a very real chance of winning the game. The weather is suggesting a chance for snow, so in that instance i would actually consider to bet the Colts outright. I dont trust the KCC defence to keep this tight.

IND sneak home 24-21

My bets
IND 1-13 $3.48
UNDER 57.0 (If the weather holds up, other wise dont touch it)
Mack over 100+ yards / Colts win $5.00

If you like KCC - I'd be Mahomes over 300/KCC win.
-----------

DAL Cowboys @ LA Rams
DAL +7.5 / $3.65 H2H
LAR -7.5 / $1.31 H2H
Total: 49.5

Another game where i really think the underdog can and will win the game. I dont think this LAR team match up well with Dallas at all, and i think their offense is going to have a tough time moving the football on the Dallas front 7. For Dallas i think they'll be able to run it at will on the Rams and despite a solid interior DL, the Rams play for sacks. This is a TERRIBLE match up for the Rams. Dallas typically play tight games though so the game will be tight and it will a quick, low scoring game.

Dallas win 20-17

My bets
DAL H2H $3.65
Zeke over 100+ yards / Colts win $5.00

If you like LAR, i'd actually take them to cover -7.5 and OVER. I think if they win, it's one of those games where they get some huge schemed plays and it ends up 35-17 or something.
-----------

LA Chargers @ NE Patriots
LAC +4.0 / $2.69 H2H
NEP -4.0 / $1.50 H2H
Total: 47.0

I'm loathe to do this because it's the Pats and the chargers and everything about the play off history tells us the Pats find a way to win and the chargers will manage to blow this game in terrible fashion, but i dont see anywhere on the field where the Pats are better. Including QB where i think Rivers is playing better than Brady this year. Bill v Lynn is a huge mismatch in coaching but i think the Chargers have the talent in the right places to overcome it. I dont trust it enough to take the H2H. Again the weather is going to be cold so i would touch the totals

NE win 24-17

My bets
Tri-bet 2: Either team by 3 or less $4.33
LAC +4.0

If you like the Pats, take them to win by 1-6, this will be tight, i could see this being a late FG game (and LAC blowing it to lose by 3), it's paying $4.50

-----------

PHI Eagles @ NO Saints
PHI +8.0 / $4.15 H2H
NE -8.0 / $1.25 H2H
Total: 51.0

THE EAGLES ARE GOING TO ... na i cant do it this week. Last week i had this little feeling that we'd find a way to win the game. I didnt think the Bears were built to blow us out and if it was close, i trusted the Eagles coaching to win the game. It happened... This not so much, i think the Saints are a juggernaut and i think they're going to win the game, maybe even cover. But i dont like much here, just because of BDN and this Philly run of magic.

Saints take this one home, 30-20

My bets
Mark Ingram over 50+/Saints to win $2.40

If you like the Eagles, double down again on that Alshon over 75/Eagles win, you'll get a bump from $4.15 to $6.50 and if the Eagles are to win this game, Alshon is going to HAVE to go over 75.
-----------

I got did my **** on an exotic last week thanks to Cody Parkey. But im going back here again with something i really kind of love.
IND+5/DAL H2H/NE 1-13/NO H2H
That'll get you $22.48 and i'm certain this is a winner. CERTAIN! :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Dont get me excited Piggy... i dont need more people who think we can win. The stats already suggest we are in with a shot. Arrrrgh
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Hot start for the Chiefs - up 14-0 with 6:28 left in the first quarter

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Chiefs got this... leading 31-13 at the 2 minute warning. Chiefs vs Patriots/Chargers at Arrowhead

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I don't understand why Talib was blowing up about that penalty? Looked to be a clear PI, what am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

God it feels good to know that no matter what happens from here on in, I don’t have to worry about Dallas winning a Sb

**** off, sign Dak to a huge extension, continue **** off, extend the clapper, **** off some more, make Cooper one of the highest paid WRs in the game, and then **** off forever
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm sure you don't mind getting that tip wrong.

How bout them Cowboys?

thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Wow I expected the chargers to put up more if a challenge. Hope it turns in the 2nd half otherwise this will be a massacre

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

At least we arent Chargers fans, who just got royally pumped today by the Pats.

Im ok with losing the the best team all yr in the Div playoffs. Plenty to like about our team going into next yr.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Saints looking dangerous here. Eagles D doing a lot of work.

Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Can’t wait for the Saints/Rams game

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Think I'll go for Saints of the 4 teams remaining (not that I've been following much)
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Great run, i've gotten so much joy out of this team in the last 12 months.
Even today, banged up all game and gave the saints every bit of it they could handle... Sucks that of all people, it was Alshon with that mistake, given how important he's been.

Lot of change on the horizon for the Eagles. I think they'll be trying to rebuild a bit on the fly around Carson, but that was a hell of a run. Really fun.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Pigman wrote: January 14, 2019, 10:57 am Great run, i've gotten so much joy out of this team in the last 12 months.
Even today, banged up all game and gave the saints every bit of it they could handle... Sucks that of all people, it was Alshon with that mistake, given how important he's been.

Lot of change on the horizon for the Eagles. I think they'll be trying to rebuild a bit on the fly around Carson, but that was a hell of a run. Really fun.
How long do you think Eagles Superb Owl window will remain open Pigman ?
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Of the 4 losers, Eagles gave the best account of themselves.

However, looking at the 4 teams, Id say Colts and Cowboys look better setup to have another til next yr. Both teams have most of the important pieces in place, and both have rookies that grew up quickly this season.

Thoughts @Pigman?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Sid wrote: January 14, 2019, 11:01 am
Pigman wrote: January 14, 2019, 10:57 am Great run, i've gotten so much joy out of this team in the last 12 months.

I think its wanying ATM. Wentz will keep them competitive, but I see a rebuild on the horizon. They have lots of pieces that need rebuilding, esp on offense. They will need receivers and a RB. They might be light a stud OL or 2 next yr, how long are Peters and Lane hanging around?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: January 14, 2019, 11:01 am

It's open as long as Wentz is the QB. He's going to be coming into his second season after the ACL.
That's just what it is, he's that good, Wentz is a SB window.

In the next two years, it might be tougher... the team is very old and will need to get young in a hurry, but that's also going to free up a fair bit of cap space and they've got a ton of draft picks and probably more coming once the compensatory's a dealt out this year and next, and with Foles still to be dealt. A lot of Howie Roseman to work with imo.

There is going to be some major changes across the OL and DL... messing with the lines is always tough to do and can always blow up so that's a concern. I think the Eagles will continue to be very good along the DL, and suppliment it with end of career types like Chris Long, because the Eagles play a scheme that lets them pad career stats for HOF pushes.

She safeties are both a bit old too, but otherwise this team is looking pretty good.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

If the Patriots can do what they did in the 1st half for a whole game next week they might beat the chiefs. But as far as I'm concerned it's chiefs v saints in the superbowl

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 14, 2019, 11:04 am Of the 4 losers, Eagles gave the best account of themselves.

However, looking at the 4 teams, Id say Colts and Cowboys look better setup to have another til next yr. Both teams have most of the important pieces in place, and both have rookies that grew up quickly this season.

Thoughts @Pigman?
Its impossible to say, so much can go on in a season. If i had to say... i go with QBs, they're how to how who's best set up, and for me that's Eagles/Colts who are set up with a stud QB, really great offensive infrastructure, you could throw in Dallas with that group if you're a Dak guy... suffice to say im not a Dak guy, i think he's a very ordinary QB... but if you're someone who likes Dak they've set up very nicely too, though also with some issues along the Lines to confront in the coming years.

Chargers would rank last simply because Rivers is 38, is unlikely to see out a career beyond Brady and now has Mahomes to deal with, and there is no in house succession plan yet.

But it's guess work at best. If Zeke Elliott does an ACL in week 1 next year, that's a 5 win team. If Wentz goes down again, with No Foles, that's a 5 win team. And those windows might never open again pending injury/coaching changes/scheme changes... that's why the only real teams with a "window" are those with elite QB's... an elite Qb gives you a shot any time, anywhere
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: January 14, 2019, 11:58 am
Matt wrote: January 14, 2019, 11:04 am Of the 4 losers, Eagles gave the best account of themselves.

Thoughts @Pigman?
Its impossible to say, so much can go on in a season. If i had to say... i go with QBs, they're how to how who's best set up, and for me that's Eagles/Colts who are set up with a stud QB, really great offensive infrastructure, you could throw in Dallas with that group if you're a Dak guy... suffice to say im not a Dak guy, i think he's a very ordinary QB... but if you're someone who likes Dak they've set up very nicely too, though also with some issues along the Lines to confront in the coming years.

Chargers would rank last simply because Rivers is 38, is unlikely to see out a career beyond Brady and now has Mahomes to deal with, and there is no in house succession plan yet.

But it's guess work at best. If Zeke Elliott does an ACL in week 1 next year, that's a 5 win team. If Wentz goes down again, with No Foles, that's a 5 win team. And those windows might never open again pending injury/coaching changes/scheme changes... that's why the only real teams with a "window" are those with elite QB's... an elite Qb gives you a shot any time, anywhere
Im not a Dak hater.
I know he isnt a Wentz, Mahomes, Luck, etc. So we wont win on his arm alone.
I do know that the guy knows how to win, and that he is happy to do it ugly and tough, both of which we have seen in his career so far.
Im not going to say Im a Dak fan boi either.
I just know what I've got, and I'm ok with it. In 3 yrs, we have had 2 trips to the playoffs with him, and I know Zeke is a big part of that, but that success.

Right now I feel like our team needs a CB or a Saftey that is going to create turnovers. An elite play maker. A catching TE would be good too.
We have:
RB - Zeke could be a HOF, injuries pending.
WR - Coopz ($$$ I know) and Gallup look a really solid 1 and 2. Beasely's status next yr worries me a little, esp with very avg TEs.
LBs - Can LVE and Smith be the new Lewis and Suggs? Or Wagner and Wright?
DE - Gregory and Lawerance ($$$ I know) off the edge are amazing.

Dak is probably good enough.
Our interior DL has been perfectly adequate.
Our OL did better than I thought without Fredrick. Smith continues to be a wk by wk player though, and isnt getting younger.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

One of the problems with Dallas is they finally have salary cap space, but they've got to pay Lawrence, Elliott, Dak, Jones and Cooper...
They've got some players they can get rid of to free up space... but the reality is that team is running it back basically as is, and no first round pick... is that good enough to win a SB?
I just dont see Dak winning a SB
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: January 14, 2019, 2:33 pm One of the problems with Dallas is they finally have salary cap space, but they've got to pay Lawrence, Elliott, Dak, Jones and Cooper...
They've got some players they can get rid of to free up space... but the reality is that team is running it back basically as is, and no first round pick... is that good enough to win a SB?
I think Garrett is more of an issue than Dak in that equation
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 14, 2019, 7:14 pm
Pigman wrote: January 14, 2019, 2:33 pm One of the problems with Dallas is they finally have salary cap space, but they've got to pay Lawrence, Elliott, Dak, Jones and Cooper...
10000000%
Dak in the right system, with a coach willing to run a bunch of college concepts and let him actually run... that... that could get interesting at least...
I mean Dak could run that Baltimore/Lamar offence, he's a more physical runner, could handle the hits better and he's a better thrower right now. Him in this traditional style offence is... not going to get it done imo
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: January 14, 2019, 7:38 pm
Matt wrote: January 14, 2019, 7:14 pm
10000000%
Dak in the right system, with a coach willing to run a bunch of college concepts and let him actually run... that... that could get interesting at least...
I mean Dak could run that Baltimore/Lamar offence, he's a more physical runner, could handle the hits better and he's a better thrower right now. Him in this traditional style offence is... not going to get it done imo
Yep. But Jerr, aint sacking Clapper to get that coach
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

And then Linehan was gone. Whooo
the bone
John Ferguson

NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

Championship Sunday is underway! Rams kickoff, Saints march up the field but on a 3rd and 7 Arnold drops a potential TD, so Saints settle for a field goal. NO 3 LA 0 after 5 mins

the bone
John Ferguson

NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

Interception! A pass from Goff goes through the hands of Gurley and is picked off by the Saints in the Rams red zone. Huge opportunity here