Post by -PJ- »

16 years ago Jason, how's it too soon ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Re: The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

Post by twistedbydesign »

I actually think Dave Furner is a bit underrated - not dissimilar to Jason Croker in that he gets overlooked a bit given the quality of players he had around him in his prime. His footwork close to the line for a big man really was something special.

I also feel the frustrations of his coaching era sometimes cloud judgement of his playing days. Thankfully Stuart was on a level of playing ability that is near on impossible to forget or diminish, so his reputation as a brilliant halfback will remain in spite of any objections to his coaching style.

I also thoroughly endorse the mentions of Luke Davico - a very good player in some quite horrible Raiders sides.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

-PJ- wrote:16 years ago Jason, how's it too soon ?
How's it going, Mr Brow?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

twistedbydesign wrote: January 13, 2019, 12:58 am I actually think Dave Furner is a bit underrated - not dissimilar to Jason Croker in that he gets overlooked a bit given the quality of players he had around him in his prime. His footwork close to the line for a big man really was something special.

I also feel the frustrations of his coaching era sometimes cloud judgement of his playing days. Thankfully Stuart was on a level of playing ability that is near on impossible to forget or diminish, so his reputation as a brilliant halfback will remain in spite of any objections to his coaching style.

I also thoroughly endorse the mentions of Luke Davico - a very good player in some quite horrible Raiders sides.
Yeah, Furner was also quite unlucky with the super League rep bans, it cost him a lot of Test and Origin appearances.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Furner was a fantastic second rower wasn't he. Tough, footwork, lockdown defender on the edge, offloads, even a good goal kicker.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 13, 2019, 8:12 am Furner was a fantastic second rower wasn't he. Tough, footwork, lockdown defender on the edge, offloads, even a good goal kicker.
certainly tough, saw him shorten up a couple of opposition players in the fisticuff stakes
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Disagree on David Furner. Was a really tough, honest player. But I reckon if he played his career at Balmain, Wests or one of the new clubs in the 90s he never would’ve sniffed rep footy.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Same could be said of plenty of players. Most likely he would've been signed by a better club and played Origin anyway.

Really though, calling him an honest player does him a great disservice. He was far better than that.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: January 14, 2019, 6:25 am Disagree on David Furner. Was a really tough, honest player. But I reckon if he played his career at Balmain, Wests or one of the new clubs in the 90s he never would’ve sniffed rep footy.
I go the other way, you put him in a team that wasn't choc full of superstars, he would have been a focal point of that teams attack and he probably isn't overlooked.

Furner was a hell of a footballer.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

David Furner was one of the best second row footballers I have ever seen. He was bloody brilliant.
He wasn't a huge guy, either. But boy, could he whack. Not just tackling, but with his fists too.

When we had him and Pongia in the team you had opposition sides nervous.

I'll always remember Furner for his footwork. Very agile.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned old Sean rutcherson I think that’s how you spell it probably not lol , you knew what you were going to get every time he played he tried his ass off
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rutgerson.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Goldcoast Raider wrote: January 15, 2019, 8:39 am Don’t know if anyone has mentioned old Sean rutcherson I think that’s how you spell it probably not lol , you knew what you were going to get every time he played he tried his ass off
South Africa's finest league player?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

i can't remember if it was him, but was Rutgerson the guy who ran down a super fast from from a scrum to save a try once?
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

I think it was gasnier and if he missed it was try time for dragons
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote:i can't remember if it was him, but was Rutgerson the guy who ran down a super fast from from a scrum to save a try once?
Yeah that's him. Funny the things we remember.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Goldcoast Raider wrote: January 15, 2019, 10:40 am I think it was gasnier and if he missed it was try time for dragons
Yep, thats exactly who it was. I could see the play clear as day in my head but was struggling to put the right "speedster" in the jersey.
One of the best hustle plays i've seen