Raiders player signing speculation 2019

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2019

Post by Raiders_Pat »

edwahu wrote: January 11, 2019, 5:26 pm Making salaries public would be interesting but it wouldn't solve anything. Players could go to the Roosters for half of what they go to Canberra for and they will just report it as the player wanting to win or be near the beach.
Nobody sacrifices over a third of their salary to win a premiership or live by the beach. Players in the NBA might sacrifice a few hundred thousand or possibly a couple mil of their multi-million dollar contract to go to a better organisation (because they're already set up for life and likely have multiple investments), but that's an entirely different story. Nobody is really sacrificing $300k of their $1mil salary to win a bloody NRL premiership, and if they do, they should be firing their manager, accountant, and whoever else is advising them financially. People are generally stupid but not that stupid.

Making salaries public would without a question eliminate the vast majority of issues that are currently at play.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Good points Pat.

The point is, when a player moves clubs for any sort of $$$, it should make the NRL look at why.

I think one of the reasons why the NRL doesn't want to publicize salaries, is because it would highlight their incompetence. On one hand Toddy Politician espouses the success of the salary cap, but won't be transparent about how.

He knows it's corrupt.
He knows it's tainted.
He knows it's a PR exercise to placate the masses.

The whole damn thing is a mess.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

dubby wrote: January 11, 2019, 5:39 pm I think one of the reasons why the NRL doesn't want to publicize salaries, is because it would highlight their incompetence.
I agree with this completely and it's the main reason why I think it's the best solution to properly police the cap. The main thing that separates the NRL from other professional sporting bodies is their professionalism imo and they need to introduce things like this if they want to survive in the sporting market in the long term. Their credibility is going down the tubes.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think you're being very optimistic. Most of the public support teams the narrative benefits and the NRL already runs with the narrative. Those clubs will continue to be able to sign players on reduced deals.

I also think you underestimate the pay cut people are willing to take to avoid an underperforming organization and an unattractive location, especially when you have a billionaire who is best mates with your manager trying to convince you.
Last edited by edwahu on January 11, 2019, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fire up Pat.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raiders_Pat wrote: January 11, 2019, 5:34 pm
edwahu wrote: January 11, 2019, 5:26 pm Making salaries public would be interesting but it wouldn't solve anything. Players could go to the Roosters for half of what they go to Canberra for and they will just report it as the player wanting to win or be near the beach.
Nobody sacrifices over a third of their salary to win a premiership or live by the beach. Players in the NBA might sacrifice a few hundred thousand or possibly a couple mil of their multi-million dollar contract to go to a better organisation (because they're already set up for life and likely have multiple investments), but that's an entirely different story. Nobody is really sacrificing $300k of their $1mil salary to win a bloody NRL premiership, and if they do, they should be firing their manager, accountant, and whoever else is advising them financially. People are generally stupid but not that stupid.

Making salaries public would without a question eliminate the vast majority of issues that are currently at play.
I reckon there are plenty of players doing just that now and have been a plethora sacrificing those percentages of their salary to try and win competitions.

If I was a star player I’d definitely be considering 700k at a team that might win like Easts or Melbourne over 1 million get my ass busted each week trying to carry the Titans or Bulldogs.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

A player may sacrifice $$ to play for a high profile team, sure. BUT, they may supplement that lower salary by playing rep games. If you play for a high profile team you're more likely to be selected for rep footy.

Players may be happier to take less to stay in their current location, too. It's hard to convince a guy to relocate from Syd, especially if his partner needs to find a job, he may be living at home, move away from family and friends.

And yes, players would be likely to move to a club that is stable financially and has excellent facilities.

But I'm certain that public player salaries , inc TPA, would actually assist in making the cap work better.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I don't like the idea of publishing player salaries.

I do however firmly believe the TPAs should either be entirely transparent or just be part of the salary cap. That whole system is broken.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The NRL keeps saying that the Salary Cap works because no team has won the comp two seasons in a row. Just another example of using a single and ridiculous measure to support what the NRL want to claim.

Roosters and Storm have played in 15 of the last 20 grand finals and much of the same group of teams like Broncos have been regularly making the finals over the same period.

I’m not after wholesale changes to Cap and TPA’s, but we are long overdue for some tweaks to protect long term weaker clubs who face broadcasting challenges and external threats from AFL, Union etc.
nemesis
Brett Mullins

Post by nemesis »

BJ wrote: January 12, 2019, 12:33 pm The NRL keeps saying that the Salary Cap works because no team has won the comp two seasons in a row. Just another example of using a single and ridiculous measure to support what the NRL want to claim.

Roosters and Storm have played in 15 of the last 20 grand finals and much of the same group of teams like Broncos have been regularly making the finals over the same period.

I’m not after wholesale changes to Cap and TPA’s, but we are long overdue for some tweaks to protect long term weaker clubs who face broadcasting challenges and external threats from AFL, Union etc.
Facts!, they know this, they just use that to cover up just how uneven it actually is
Last edited by nemesis on January 12, 2019, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raider 4 life
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

BJ wrote: January 12, 2019, 12:33 pm The NRL keeps saying that the Salary Cap works because no team has won the comp two seasons in a row. Just another example of using a single and ridiculous measure to support what the NRL want to claim.

They usually say the NRL has the highest % of winners in the last 20 years but if you look at the actual winners for AFL it's the same. They just added 2 teams extra so it's a lower percentage.

Same goes for the NFL, they have more winners but since they have a lot more clubs, the percentages look much worse.

The NRL looks better than other codes which have multi game finals series or no finals at all like the NBA or Premier League.

If the NRL had 7 game finals series or was just the minor premiership it wouldn't look close at all. Roosters and Storm have won 11/15 minor premierships, worse than the Premier League, and if Penrith, Tigers, Knights, Sharks had have had to get through 5 and 7 game series it's doubtful they win comps.

The only measure of the effectiveness of the cap is the flow of talent, and this shows it isn't effective at all.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

julian87 wrote: January 12, 2019, 2:04 am

I reckon there are plenty of players doing just that now and have been a plethora sacrificing those percentages of their salary to try and win competitions.

If I was a star player I’d definitely be considering 700k at a team that might win like Easts or Melbourne over 1 million get my ass busted each week trying to carry the Titans or Bulldogs.
I can accept a $100k pay cut from a $500-600k/year contract or $200k off $1mil+/year... any more is just unrealistic. A player is lucky to go 10 years consistently in first grade... if you're in your mid 20s, at the peak of your earning potential, you may only have 3 or 4 years left... $300k over 4 years is $1.2mil. I just don't believe anybody would sacrifice that sort of money over a short career, particularly somebody whose only skill is playing rugby league. Most of these guys, if they have a career ending injury, probably won't earn much more than $100k/year following footy. Even if they managed to pull in $200k/year outside of footy, $1.2mil extra is 6 years you don't have to work at that rate.

I can accept that most people would also rather end that short career having achieved a grand final victory or an Origin series win, but most people are also realistic about their life and most people's partners/families aren't gonna let them walk away from an extra $1mil+. Publishing player salaries would raise all sorts of questions and would definitely work toward creating a more even playing field. There are always going to be clubs out there receiving an advantage due to their location/facilities/culture etc, but right now the advantages are clearly beyond just those factors and are hugely inequitable.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Raiders_Pat wrote: January 12, 2019, 7:50 pm
julian87 wrote: January 12, 2019, 2:04 am

I can accept a $100k pay cut from a $500-600k/year contract or $200k off $1mil+/year... any more is just unrealistic. A player is lucky to go 10 years consistently in first grade... if you're in your mid 20s, at the peak of your earning potential, you may only have 3 or 4 years left... $300k over 4 years is $1.2mil. I just don't believe anybody would sacrifice that sort of money over a short career, particularly somebody whose only skill is playing rugby league. Most of these guys, if they have a career ending injury, probably won't earn much more than $100k/year following footy. Even if they managed to pull in $200k/year outside of footy, $1.2mil extra is 6 years you don't have to work at that rate.

I can accept that most people would also rather end that short career having achieved a grand final victory or an Origin series win, but most people are also realistic about their life and most people's partners/families aren't gonna let them walk away from an extra $1mil+. Publishing player salaries would raise all sorts of questions and would definitely work toward creating a more even playing field. There are always going to be clubs out there receiving an advantage due to their location/facilities/culture etc, but right now the advantages are clearly beyond just those factors and are hugely inequitable.
Nailed it, Pat.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

The thing you miss Pat is that even if what you say is true, your outrage as a Canberra fan will be basically worthless and far more supporters will be willing to accept that it is true because it benefits their club. The NRL will continue to support the status quo and those clubs which make it the most money.

There is no legal solution to parity in the player market which doesn't involve a draft.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

edwahu wrote: January 12, 2019, 9:01 pm The thing you miss Pat is that even if what you say is true, your outrage as a Canberra fan will be basically worthless and far more supporters will be willing to accept that it is true because it benefits their club. The NRL will continue to support the status quo and those clubs which make it the most money.

There is no legal solution to parity in the player market which doesn't involve a draft.
The NBA is a clear example where publishing player salaries has worked to police the cap system. Media pundits can't help talking about certain issues... even if the media company they work for try to prevent them from speaking on some things, there will always be another commentator or analyst somewhere else who will be willing to speak on it. I think more transparency in this sense will keep everybody on their toes, even if it doesn't entirely eliminate all issues to do with cap discrepancy.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Raiders_Pat wrote: January 12, 2019, 9:05 pm
edwahu wrote: January 12, 2019, 9:01 pm The thing you miss Pat is that even if what you say is true, your outrage as a Canberra fan will be basically worthless and far more supporters will be willing to accept that it is true because it benefits their club. The NRL will continue to support the status quo and those clubs which make it the most money.

The NBA is a clear example where publishing player salaries has worked to police the cap system. Media pundits can't help talking about certain issues... even if the media company they work for try to prevent them from speaking on some things, there will always be another commentator or analyst somewhere else who will be willing to speak on it. I think more transparency in this sense will keep everybody on their toes, even if it doesn't entirely eliminate all issues to do with cap discrepancy.
You mean the NBA which has a draft, restricted free agency, max contracts and forums full of people still complaining about small market teams getting screwed over for players.

I'd agree publishing salaries might help and would be interesting, but it's not going to be a silver bullet.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I'm not at all suggesting it will be a silver bullet, though it will definitely make it clear where dodgy deals are happening. The whole "players could go to the Roosters for half of what they go to Canberra for and they will just report it as the player wanting to win or be near the beach" thing which is what happens now will become less credible and less sellable as a story when the public can see exactly how much of a cut players are supposedly taking to go to these clubs. People aren't stupid and you would have to be an idiot to believe that players are really taking a cut as big as some say they are. And it's not just a few Raiders fans who will be kicking up a stink about it... it will be fans from every small market club who are tired of being screwed around by an incompetent NRL. I can't see how anybody could argue against more transparency in this area... it's exactly what is needed.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I didn't argue against it, but you said it would fix the cap problem, which suggests silver bullet.

There has been outrage over the cap for 30 years, then even when they give transparency on something like TPAs the NRL just spin it as a positive and ignore any complaints.

Even if the NRL wanted to do something the only thing that really evens up a player market are going to be practical measures like drafts, non flat caps or restricted FA, which are not going to survive the RLPA.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raiders_Pat wrote: I can accept a $100k pay cut from a $500-600k/year contract or $200k off $1mil+/year... any more is just unrealistic. A player is lucky to go 10 years consistently in first grade... if you're in your mid 20s, at the peak of your earning potential, you may only have 3 or 4 years left... $300k over 4 years is $1.2mil. I just don't believe anybody would sacrifice that sort of money over a short career, particularly somebody whose only skill is playing rugby league. Most of these guys, if they have a career ending injury, probably won't earn much more than $100k/year following footy. Even if they managed to pull in $200k/year outside of footy, $1.2mil extra is 6 years you don't have to work at that rate.
I don’t think it’s quite so clear cut as this. For starters due to tax your example is closer to 4 years. Then when you factor in the value to their brand, reputation and consider the opportunities that they open by being successful at a glamour club... I think you could recoup that lost income over their lifetime.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Publishing salaries would show the entire comp and their managers how much we are paying ordinary players. This will just jack up everyone's asking price even more.

It wouldn't be a good thing for our club. There would be a lot of unintended consequences you guys aren't thinking through.

TPAs are different. That's a complete cap rort for a handful of clubs.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 13, 2019, 8:06 am Publishing salaries would show the entire comp and their managers how much we are paying ordinary players. This will just jack up everyone's asking price even more.

It wouldn't be a good thing for our club. There would be a lot of unintended consequences you guys aren't thinking through.

It's only a cap rort because most of these deals aren't truly third party and the NRL does nothing about it, even in cases where it's bleedingly obvious (ie when a player goes to a new club and the deal disappears). How many cases have we heard of a player getting the **** with a club because they weren't paid on their third party arrangements? Whenever something like that comes up, the club should be immediately investigated for a cap breach. We never see that happen.

The NRL and their major clubs can do whatever they like because there is no transparency and nobody in the public has solid facts/figures... it's all hearsay. It doesn't matter how much of a fuss people kick up because at the end of the day it can be labelled as a conspiracy theory without any tangible evidence. Publish the figures and it becomes much more difficult for the NRL and the clubs doing the rorting to come up with valid excuses.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

gangrenous wrote: January 13, 2019, 8:01 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: I can accept a $100k pay cut from a $500-600k/year contract or $200k off $1mil+/year... any more is just unrealistic. A player is lucky to go 10 years consistently in first grade... if you're in your mid 20s, at the peak of your earning potential, you may only have 3 or 4 years left... $300k over 4 years is $1.2mil. I just don't believe anybody would sacrifice that sort of money over a short career, particularly somebody whose only skill is playing rugby league. Most of these guys, if they have a career ending injury, probably won't earn much more than $100k/year following footy. Even if they managed to pull in $200k/year outside of footy, $1.2mil extra is 6 years you don't have to work at that rate.
I don’t think it’s quite so clear cut as this. For starters due to tax your example is closer to 4 years. Then when you factor in the value to their brand, reputation and consider the opportunities that they open by being successful at a glamour club... I think you could recoup that lost income over their lifetime.
Yep, if you front up to a Roosters recruitment meeting you talk to two of the best salesmen in the entire country in Mark Bouris and Nick Politis, the latter who also happens to be the most powerful man in the game and drinks coffee everyday at a cafe downstairs from NRL headquarters. They will tell you all about the Roosters family and how it continues long after football. They probably rope in ex players like Fletch or Ricketson as examples. Your manager is probably very close friends with Nick or on a retainer and backs up everything he says. Then you have the Broncos who just directly offer you post football deals these days with the NRLs blessing.

It's not stupid that players take major paycuts in that situation and I guarantee a lot of people that think they wouldn't would end up walking out of the room with their signature on a deal.
Last edited by edwahu on January 13, 2019, 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Raiders_Pat wrote: January 13, 2019, 8:49 am
Seiffert82 wrote: January 13, 2019, 8:06 am Publishing salaries would show the entire comp and their managers how much we are paying ordinary players. This will just jack up everyone's asking price even more.

It's only a cap rort because most of these deals aren't truly third party and the NRL does nothing about it, even in cases where it's bleedingly obvious (ie when a player goes to a new club and the deal disappears). How many cases have we heard of a player getting the **** with a club because they weren't paid on their third party arrangements? Whenever something like that comes up, the club should be immediately investigated for a cap breach. We never see that happen.

The NRL and their major clubs can do whatever they like because there is no transparency and nobody in the public has solid facts/figures... it's all hearsay. It doesn't matter how much of a fuss people kick up because at the end of the day it can be labelled as a conspiracy theory without any tangible evidence. Publish the figures and it becomes much more difficult for the NRL and the clubs doing the rorting to come up with valid excuses.
They published TPAs and it made no difference, except the NRL considered case closed and nobody accepted them anyway.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

edwahu wrote: January 13, 2019, 9:04 am
gangrenous wrote: January 13, 2019, 8:01 am
Yep, if you front up to a Roosters recruitment meeting you talk to two of the best salesmen in the entire country in Mark Bouris and Nick Politis, the latter who also happens to be the most powerful man in the game and drinks coffee everyday at a cafe downstairs from NRL headquarters. They will tell you all about the Roosters family and how it continues long after football. They probably rope in ex players like Fletch or Ricketson as examples. Your manager is probably very close friends with Nick or on a retainer and backs up everything he says. Then you have the Broncos who just directly offer you post football deals these days with the NRLs blessing.

It's not stupid that players take major paycuts in that situation and I guarantee a lot of people that think they wouldn't would end up walking out of the room with their signature on a deal.
Guys like Bouris and Politis don't want more transparency because it makes it much harder to operate in the way that they do... I can't see how it wouldn't help. I worked in the horse racing industry for four years and I know as a fact that the power players in the industry want their business dealings to be behind closed doors and as non-transparent as possible. Transparency holds people/organisations accountable, and if the NRL continues to deny the existence of these inequities once all the evidence is there, then their credibility will continue to crumble. It's in the interests of the NRL and the major clubs to have a competition so they will adjust their attitudes accordingly imo.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I completely agree that there will always be certain clubs with advantages and nothing will stop that. But I also believe that the best way to combat the current disparities is to do what the rorting clubs don't want. They definitely don't want player salaries published publicly.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m not arguing against transparency. I agree that would be best for Raiders fans and an ethical balanced competition.

It’s not going to happen, it disadvantages those with the power.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

gergreg wrote:
kiwi raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: January 8, 2019, 8:48 pm It is pretty clear from Craig's tweet he, at least, is talking about Edwards. I suspect the issue is whether the Panthers want him at No. 1 rather than Dallin Watene Zelezniak and whether they need to free up salary cap space... and whether they've come to grips with that yet.
Hopefully Cleary wants to recruit to strengthen other areas of his squad(perhaps he wants to bring someone across who he recruited to the tigers like Packer or Matulino) and would be happy to lose a fullback option to do so given DWZ's form, Would also be a bit rich for Ivan and Gus to not let someone break there contract if they wanted out.
Elijah Taylor has been released by the Tigers so maybe?

Sauce ?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Makaveli wrote:
gergreg wrote:
kiwi raider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: January 8, 2019, 8:48 pm It is pretty clear from Craig's tweet he, at least, is talking about Edwards. I suspect the issue is whether the Panthers want him at No. 1 rather than Dallin Watene Zelezniak and whether they need to free up salary cap space... and whether they've come to grips with that yet.
Hopefully Cleary wants to recruit to strengthen other areas of his squad(perhaps he wants to bring someone across who he recruited to the tigers like Packer or Matulino) and would be happy to lose a fullback option to do so given DWZ's form, Would also be a bit rich for Ivan and Gus to not let someone break there contract if they wanted out.

Sauce ?

I read it somewhere, Maguire wanting a bigger body type for lock, but I can't find it with a quick Google search.

simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

gergreg wrote: January 14, 2019, 9:05 am
Makaveli wrote:
gergreg wrote:
kiwi raider wrote:

Sauce ?

I read it somewhere, Maguire wanting a bigger body type for lock, but I can't find it with a quick Google search.

https://twitter.com/weststigers/status/ ... 8427309056
Doesnt look like it?
Dont delete this GE
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Maybe I read it on the LU speculation thread. #fakenews

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Taylor looks like he is staying at the Tigers , he is listed as signed until the end of 2020

Is on their website with a video of his 2019 goals
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/14/dwz ... -position/

DWZ intends to play fullback in 2019 for the Panthers. Nice and public call out he wants the jumper
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

nice, I'm glad Cotric has come out and said he's happy to play wing
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Sid wrote: January 14, 2019, 3:54 pm nice, I'm glad Cotric has come out and said he's happy to play wing
Would prefer him at centre and croker outside him.
Dont delete this GE
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

The Mole said the Dylan Edwards thing definitely isn't happening.. So that gives us hope