John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:Got to say, I loved the way Gavin Miller played at lock... even though he was a nemesis.
Yes, great player. Won a Rothmans medal or two from memory. Wasn't he a Goulburn lad?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:
MrPosh wrote: January 11, 2019, 7:43 pm
edwahu wrote: January 11, 2019, 11:22 am
Matt wrote: January 11, 2019, 10:03 am There is a reason he is considered a backrower/ centre. Which in the NRL leads me to believe that he is more likely to be successful on the edge.
Maybe he is a dogged tough nut that will make it work.
However, as we already know, we have 4 international backrowers, and while is generally accepted that Papa will move to prop, one of the other 3 has to go to lock. If Bateman was 1st crack, have at it.
FWIW, he is the smallest of the 4 we have, and I suspect he will be giving away anywhere from 5-30kgs (Lolo and Surgess are 120-125kgs) to his opponent every week at lock.
Yeah, the reason is because he had an english legend in front of him at lock. When that player was injured or moved to cover an injury it appears he played lock.

He would be 6kgs heavier and 3kgs lighter than the grand final locks, so his size isn't that big of an issue. He is 98kgs, not 88.
He's a better player than O'Loughlin, in my opinion.

However, O'Loughlin is (currently) the last in the line of the English Loose Forward - who takes the role of the third pivot. You can go back through the Farrell, Sculthorpe and Hanley from my lifetime who were greats of the game and back to Mal Reilly and, I'm sure, beyond for other examples.

We've now followed the Australian game in having the full back as the extra playmaker and using the Loose Forward, or Lock, as just another middle forward.

Bateman is better for that role than O'Loughlin, and although he has good hands, he's not the playmaker that O'Loughlin is and doesn't offer the extra dimension he brings.

I suspect he'll be in the middle to shore up the defence behind the ruck in the middle - where there have been plenty of gaps for the last couple of years. And don't worry about his size - you'd take a Pit Bull over a St Bernard in a fight.
Ok, valuable insight.

Anyone who's watched a few games has probably seen us slow up behind the ruck so he could help there.

Just me- I can't see how we stop a 3 Burgii or 2 big bopper roll down the middle with our current pack even if Papalli turns into a Kangaroo prop. Maybe this kid hits and stops 'em, who knows.
Agreed, while it seems nice to lose two lumbering forwards like Paulo and Boyd those sorts of players could quite possibly be our kryptonite.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: January 11, 2019, 10:36 pm
greeneyed wrote:Got to say, I loved the way Gavin Miller played at lock... even though he was a nemesis.
Yes, great player. Won a Rothmans medal or two from memory. Wasn't he a Goulburn lad?

Yes, the stand at Goulburn Arena is named The Gavin Miller Stand. I think he moved back to Goulburn.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Just on Matt’s post about Bateman. I think being smaller actually makes you more suited to the middle than the edge these days. If you’re not a big athletic body at second row you’re at a huge, huge disadvantage straight away. In the middle so much more of it is up to the individual rather than the team’s structure. It’s why blokes like Radley and Murray are up the guys.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

He'll be similar to Alan Tongue. I don't know what everyone else is expecting of him. Defensive terrier with half decent hands.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, I want to see Whitehead and Papa stay on the edge. They are world class weapons attacking the opposition halves.

Tapine is the question mark for me. I think he's better suited to the middle.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Tapines is a powerful runner of the football and a player you love sending at opposition halves. As a result he makes the opposition question themselves. However his defensive decision making on the edge is suspect.

The benefit of playing him in the middle is that he attracts a lot of defenders and therefore can create room on the edges and doesn’t have to make as many decisions in defence.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

RTW wrote: January 12, 2019, 8:48 am Tapines is a powerful runner of the football and a player you love sending at opposition halves. As a result he makes the opposition question themselves. However his defensive decision making on the edge is suspect.

The benefit of playing him in the middle is that he attracts a lot of defenders and therefore can create room on the edges and doesn’t have to make as many decisions in defence.

Agree.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Our backrow is outstanding...

Is there another club out there with 3 internationals in the backrow ?

Maybe there is, but they all blow...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: January 12, 2019, 7:58 am He'll be similar to Alan Tongue. I don't know what everyone else is expecting of him. Defensive terrier with half decent hands.
I think he will be more like Greg Bird. Ball playing backrower/lock and can get grubby.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: January 12, 2019, 9:16 am
Seiffert82 wrote: January 12, 2019, 7:58 am He'll be similar to Alan Tongue. I don't know what everyone else is expecting of him. Defensive terrier with half decent hands.
I think he will be more like Greg Bird. Ball playing backrower/lock and can get grubby.
Well, hopefully he's not as grubby off the field as Bird, who must have been one of the biggest low-lifes in the NRL.

You could be right, but nothing I've seen or heard indicates he's a rep quality ball playing back rower like Bird. He may have the niggle in defence though.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Well, hopefully he's not as grubby off the field as Bird, who must have been one of the biggest low-lifes in the NRL.

You could be right, but nothing I've seen or heard indicates he's a rep quality ball playing back rower like Bird. He may have the niggle in defence though.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

RTW wrote: January 12, 2019, 8:48 am Tapines is a powerful runner of the football and a player you love sending at opposition halves. As a result he makes the opposition question themselves. However his defensive decision making on the edge is suspect.

Yeah, I agree. He attracts a lot of defence in the middle by running nice angles with footwork and an offload. I prefer him defending there too.

Papa and Whitehead are arguably two of the top half dozen second rowers in the world. I hate the idea of killing their games and reducing their minutes as middles
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Papalli was massive in the middle at the back end of last season... Tapine is an out and out edge player imo...
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raiders666 wrote:Papalli was massive in the middle at the back end of last season... Tapine is an out and out edge player imo...
what did you think of his defence 666? I thought he was contributing to the pressure on Austin and Beej

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Pretty sure he played on the opposite side most of the time.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

bonehead wrote: January 12, 2019, 6:36 pm
Raiders666 wrote:Papalli was massive in the middle at the back end of last season... Tapine is an out and out edge player imo...
what did you think of his defence 666? I thought he was contributing to the pressure on Austin and Beej

I thought it was ok...he had his moments but when he was aggressive he was really good . Id like to see how we go without Austin before i judge him to much. His best games for us have been out wide no doubt and i'd be shocked of Ricky doesn't play Papalli at prop this year.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Raiders666 wrote: January 12, 2019, 6:49 pm
bonehead wrote: January 12, 2019, 6:36 pm

I thought it was ok...he had his moments but when he was aggressive he was really good . Id like to see how we go without Austin before i judge him to much. His best games for us have been out wide no doubt and i'd be shocked of Ricky doesn't play Papalli at prop this year.
Tapine's defence has been good on the edges IMO. He's no Whitehead but he has been better than Papalii has been there since his weight gain. He has also spent most of his game time in first grade playing in the middle so I'd say he will get better the more time he spends there. Plus he's still relatively young. If his defence continues to improve then he is right on track to become one of the best second rowers (if not the best) in the competition.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Either way it's a good headache to have..
Papalii going to prop solves a lot more proplems for us though i reckon
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Can always change it back if it is not working out.

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

MrPosh wrote: January 11, 2019, 7:43 pm
edwahu wrote: January 11, 2019, 11:22 am
Matt wrote: January 11, 2019, 10:03 am There is a reason he is considered a backrower/ centre. Which in the NRL leads me to believe that he is more likely to be successful on the edge.
Maybe he is a dogged tough nut that will make it work.
However, as we already know, we have 4 international backrowers, and while is generally accepted that Papa will move to prop, one of the other 3 has to go to lock. If Bateman was 1st crack, have at it.
FWIW, he is the smallest of the 4 we have, and I suspect he will be giving away anywhere from 5-30kgs (Lolo and Surgess are 120-125kgs) to his opponent every week at lock.
Yeah, the reason is because he had an english legend in front of him at lock. When that player was injured or moved to cover an injury it appears he played lock.

He would be 6kgs heavier and 3kgs lighter than the grand final locks, so his size isn't that big of an issue. He is 98kgs, not 88.
He's a better player than O'Loughlin, in my opinion.

However, O'Loughlin is (currently) the last in the line of the English Loose Forward - who takes the role of the third pivot. You can go back through the Farrell, Sculthorpe and Hanley from my lifetime who were greats of the game and back to Mal Reilly and, I'm sure, beyond for other examples.

We've now followed the Australian game in having the full back as the extra playmaker and using the Loose Forward, or Lock, as just another middle forward.

Bateman is better for that role than O'Loughlin, and although he has good hands, he's not the playmaker that O'Loughlin is and doesn't offer the extra dimension he brings.

I suspect he'll be in the middle to shore up the defence behind the ruck in the middle - where there have been plenty of gaps for the last couple of years. And don't worry about his size - you'd take a Pit Bull over a St Bernard in a fight.
Thanks for the insight
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Disagreed. Fair bit smaller than Bird and with less ball play from what I’ve seen.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

The weather over the next four days will test him
Goldcoast Raider
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Staurt

Post by Goldcoast Raider »

I think he will score over 10 tries this year :cmon
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

julian87 wrote: January 14, 2019, 11:58 am
Disagreed. Fair bit smaller than Bird and with less ball play from what I’ve seen.
According to wikipedia Bateman is taller and only a few kgs lighter than Bird.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

John Bateman signs with Canberra Raiders

Post by Dusty »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
julian87 wrote: January 14, 2019, 11:58 am
According to wikipedia Bateman is taller and only a few kgs lighter than Bird.
Bird 102kg and 183cm
Bateman 98kg and 185cm

Buggar all difference in size

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Only a few pies in it really

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Style of player was what I was referring to. Not size or build. Although I thought they do look similar
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Rick wrote: January 14, 2019, 8:05 pm Only a few pies in it really

Smaller than most on here then
Chris-M
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Bateman

Post by Chris-M »

Why are you so obsessed with size? Analyzing him down to the last cm and kg. The last I checked, it wasn't a worlds tallest/heaviest man contest. Apart from competing for a ball in the air (Which a forward doesn't need to do much), I can't think of one situation where strength, technique, and determination won't make up for a lack of size.

Hopefully, you've seen enough from John now, to know that it's not just about pure size when it comes to being a good tackler and making metres. The next step in your development is not to write someone off just because they come from ESL. Which most of you did at first when the Bateman rumors first started surfacing.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joe came into Club 82 last night at half time. He's an absolutely great bloke by the way. He is also physically imposing. I don't feel that way often, Junior Paulo and Shannon Body were big, but Joe Tapine is huge and all muscle. No wonder he is such a gun on field.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Chris-M wrote: March 30, 2019, 7:21 pm Why are you so obsessed with size? Analyzing him down to the last cm and kg. The last I checked, it wasn't a worlds tallest/heaviest man contest. Apart from competing for a ball in the air (Which a forward doesn't need to do much), I can't think of one situation where strength, technique, and determination won't make up for a lack of size.

Hopefully, you've seen enough from John now, to know that it's not just about pure size when it comes to being a good tackler and making metres. The next step in your development is not to write someone off just because they come from ESL. Which most of you did at first when the Bateman rumors first started surfacing.
I certainly didn't. I've watched him playing for Wigan and England. I thought he'd be very good. But he has adjusted instantly to the NRL, much faster than I expected. I gave him a 9 rating last night, and I think I gave one 9 all last season. This is Round 3.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I cant believe i wasnt more excited about this signing. Im sorry john, i love you now
Dont delete this GE
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Chris-M wrote: March 30, 2019, 7:21 pm Why are you so obsessed with size? Analyzing him down to the last cm and kg. The last I checked, it wasn't a worlds tallest/heaviest man contest. Apart from competing for a ball in the air (Which a forward doesn't need to do much), I can't think of one situation where strength, technique, and determination won't make up for a lack of size.

I always had high hopes for him, and he's exceeded them.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It's funny. People rave about size, but lamented the size of Junior and Boyd.

Size doesn't mean better.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.