'Gentle soul': School groundskeeper drowned while swimming with family

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A Canberra man who drowned while swimming with his young family at Casuarina Sands last week has been remembered as a gentle soul. Toby Jamieson, who worked as a groundskeeper at Canberra Grammar School, disappeared beneath the waters of the Murrumbidgee River on Thursday afternoon.

He was a rugby league tragic, complete with his own Raiders jerseys and number plates, having followed the club since he was a boy.

"He never missed a home game," Linda said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/nation ... 50qcx.html

Wonderful picture of a Raiders fan with his son. Terribly sad. May he rest in peace.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 'Gentle soul': School groundskeeper drowned while swimming with family

Post by greeneyed »

And another sad story...

Bereaved woman warns of dangerous Belconnen Way crossing after partner’s life cut short by fatal accident

A distressed woman has shared her concern about the dangers of walking across Belconnen Way after her partner’s life was cut short in a fatal accident last Friday (4 January).

Tanya remembers her partner Justin as a funny, athletic man, a passionate Canberra Raiders fan who used to play rugby league with his local club Gungahlin Bulls. “He used to take my kids to football. He had a heart of gold and he would do absolutely anything for anyone.

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/bereaved-woman- ... ent/281302
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

All very sad. However, walking across Belconnen Way is not a dangerous thing to do. While I agree that children should use the actual crossings, if you are an adult who wanders across the non-busy two lane road, you need to be responsible for your own actions. I have done it twice a day for years. Know what the traffic light sequence is. Estimate trajectories.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, wow! Awful story, but what the hell was he doing on Belconnen Way to be hit by a car!

Both situations are tragic.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I would have a guess to say the man was probably busy looking at his phone and not paying attention and walked straight in front of a car. Or something in that realm.

Terribly sad for the young man and his family though :(