NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: January 8, 2019, 10:32 pm In Australia if you're found innocent in a court of law... you're innocent.
Agreed GE, and if a defendant puts in a guilty plea, then the defendant is admitting guilt. Jack lives here.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

RedRaider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: January 8, 2019, 10:32 pm In Australia if you're found innocent in a court of law... you're innocent.
Agreed GE, and if a defendant puts in a guilty plea, then the defendant is admitting guilt. Jack lives here.
Unfortunately the world is not so black and white.....

The fact that greg Bird 's ex dropped the charges when he glassed her and he pleaded innocent does that really mean he didn't do it?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

cat wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

The fact that greg Bird 's ex dropped the charges when he glassed her and he pleaded innocent does that really mean he didn't do it?

No, it means that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute the case beyond reasonable doubt.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: January 10, 2019, 5:49 am
cat wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

No, it means that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute the case beyond reasonable doubt.
Whilst that in undeniably true, TR. What Cat said originally is not as true, and is in fact black and white.
Jack Wighton was charged, he plead guilty... meaning he, in a court of law, admitted to committing the crimes that was charged with by the prosecution. I have no idea why Cat wants to fight so hard against this. Jack Wighton agrees he did this. How anyone wants to argue otherwise is absolutely mind boggling to me.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Pigman wrote: January 10, 2019, 7:37 am
T_R wrote: January 10, 2019, 5:49 am
cat wrote:
RedRaider wrote:

Whilst that in undeniably true, TR. What Cat said originally is not as true, and is in fact black and white.
Jack Wighton was charged, he plead guilty... meaning he, in a court of law, admitted to committing the crimes that was charged with by the prosecution. I have no idea why Cat wants to fight so hard against this. Jack Wighton agrees he did this. How anyone wants to argue otherwise is absolutely mind boggling to me.
You’re just not a real fan
Dont delete this GE
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Pigman wrote: January 9, 2019, 7:28 am
dubby wrote: January 7, 2019, 4:18 pm Wighton didn't deserve ten weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Agreed. He deserved much more. Probably deserved to be sacked.
He didn't get sacked so get over it. Will be one of our best this season so hope you enjoy watching .
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Keghead wrote:

He didn't get sacked so get over it. Will be one of our best this season so hope you enjoy watching .
I am with you keghead.

Some people just need to accept not everyone agrees with them and move on.

The discussion was about comparing what punishmemt the nrl gave Jack and what we think would be consistent punishment for those mucking up this off season

But instead some people cant just join in, they need to keep pushing their one and only thought.

Move on people.

And for what it's worth, based on the original debate consistent is not a term the nrl know. Bolton pleaded guilty to common assault and has recieved nothing from the nrl.

Dog players dance nude at a private function cop large fines and Jack gets 10 weeks and a large fine for a drunken scuffle

Vaccinated
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

:roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bolton’s punishment is still being considered by the NRL, as they need to look through the final evidence tendered in court.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

cat wrote: January 10, 2019, 8:21 am
Keghead wrote:

I am with you keghead.

Some people just need to accept not everyone agrees with them and move on.

The discussion was about comparing what punishmemt the nrl gave Jack and what we think would be consistent punishment for those mucking up this off season

But instead some people cant just join in, they need to keep pushing their one and only thought.

Move on people.

And for what it's worth, based on the original debate consistent is not a term the nrl know. Bolton pleaded guilty to common assault and has recieved nothing from the nrl.

Dog players dance nude at a private function cop large fines and Jack gets 10 weeks and a large fine for a drunken scuffle

Cat, you're the one that keeps coming back to this thread and arguing your case for how poor Jack Wighton has been hard done by because he couldnt play footy for 10 weeks after pleasing guilty to assaulting a handful of people unprovoked.

No one else.
You.
Not me.
You.

Perhaps it's time YOU moved on.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Show me where i have said this in the last week ...

Come on pigman prove your point ir move on

Vaccinated
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

At the end of the day 6 weeks or 10 weeks means very little in a lost season. The way I look at it is he could have done a knee or something in those final 4 games so it would be best if everyone just moved on. No one is going to get anywhere trying to compare punishments handed down for incidents that are not identical by an organisation that is consistently inconsistent.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cat, you can read the thread.
There is multiple posts of yours questioning the facts of the case, facts which Jack Wighton himself plead guilt to. And the inference here is that Jack Wighton is being treated more harshly by the NRL than others.

Jack Wighton assaulted multiple people. He was charged with crimes related to those assaults. He plead guilty to those charges. The NRL suspended him 10 games for his actions. That's what's happened and nothing you, i, or anyone can say to change that.

It would be best for everyone to move on. But whilst ever people want to come in here and question the facts of a case in which Wighton plead guilty to, i will continue to remind them that their rose coloured view of this incident is not supported by anything but their own hopes and dreams, not even Jack Wighton himself supports those views, as evidenced by his guilty plea.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Agree with dubby and Nock here. VERY lucky to only get 10 weeks and a slap on the wrist
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I also agree with cat here, the NRL is ridiculously inconsistent with its punishments. It's completely ludicrous when you consider Mitchell Pearce got the same suspension despite not committing any offenses as a bloke who plead guilty to multiple assault charges. Also agree with cat that it's completely outrageous the Bulldogs players got any punishment at all considering they didn't even really do anything wrong.

It's just completely crazy and inconsistent stuff by the NRL here. But their ridiculousness is to our benefit, seeing as Wighton wasn't rubbed out of the game like he probably should have been.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If the Bulldogs players did nothing wrong... why have they been charged by police?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

What have they been charged with??
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd forgotten, they've already pleaded guilty too.

Bulldogs players avoid jail and convictions over ‘disgraceful’ Mad Monday lewd acts: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/bulld ... fa5c2e264b
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Maybe im missing something or didnt read the reports, so please excuse me if im way off.

Joel Monaghan, did he EDIT

Im not sure hence my caveat. But from what I can glean did he do much wrong besides being silly on the grog?
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

That charge is a disgrace though GE, be reasonable. They had to plead guilty because of the DT's entrapment photos. I love the line that people from the Harbour Bridgeclimb could have seen it...yeah sure because the people on there are using their binoculars to try spy some blokes standing off in the distance on the 3rd floor on the pub instead of actually being part of the point of the entire thing! I've already said in another thread that I took this up with my best mate who is a detective sergeant and he agrees that the whole thing is completely unreasonable.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If there were no grounds for the charges... wouldn't the charges have been thrown out of court? I'm not outraged by it or anything... but really, these sorts of events should have been left behind thirty years ago. No work place should be running these sorts of events. The NRL clubs have to realise it is 2019.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Wighton Pleaded guilty to a crime that resulted in a small $3,500 fine and a relatively minor two month suspended sentence.

We all saw that the video showed much much less than the king hit, coward punching, vicious attack on members of the public trying avoid the situation, that the media and some GH posters claimed was the case.

But still we have people here claiming that Wighton should have suffered the same fate as Lodge and Russell Packer.

Some here claimed to have seen the footage and told us how terrible it was. They were proven to have lied and they have struggled to admit that they over egged the event.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

BJ wrote:Wighton Pleaded guilty to a crime that resulted in a small $3,500 fine and a relatively minor two month suspended sentence.

We all saw that the video showed much much less than the king hit, coward punching, vicious attack on members of the public trying avoid the situation, that the media and some GH posters claimed was the case.

But still we have people here claiming that Wighton should have suffered the same fate as Lodge and Russell Packer.

Some here claimed to have seen the footage and told us how terrible it was. They were proven to have lied and they have struggled to admit that they over egged the event.
Well said bj

Vaccinated
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Can we just drop it now?

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We can... as soon as someone explains to why that CCTV footage isnt terrible?
Anyone who saw that footage and didn't think it was terrible has a different view on violent crimes to me.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

dubby wrote:Can we just drop it now?

Bit rough to refer to Wighton as “it”
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

greeneyed wrote:If there were no grounds for the charges... wouldn't the charges have been thrown out of court? I'm not outraged by it or anything... but really, these sorts of events should have been left behind thirty years ago. No work place should be running these sorts of events. The NRL clubs have to realise it is 2019.
I dont know GE, have you worked in the mines? I can tell you this is the norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Elcaptcroker wrote: January 11, 2019, 8:03 am
greeneyed wrote:If there were no grounds for the charges... wouldn't the charges have been thrown out of court? I'm not outraged by it or anything... but really, these sorts of events should have been left behind thirty years ago. No work place should be running these sorts of events. The NRL clubs have to realise it is 2019.

Really, which mines have you worked at where the work place runs those sort of events?
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

He might be saying there are a lot of immature alcoholic wankers working in the mines? #slanderous

How soon IS now?
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Deadset if I got my gear off at a work function, after the girls woke up from fainting, I'd be out the door.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Elcaptcroker wrote:

Also note he said “should”
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Every single NRL club is having these events, probably multiple versions across the grades. As are every other professional male sports team across the country but the degree of the celebration will vary based on the level but I can assure you every single team in the Canberra Raiders Cup would have an end of year event which would involve nudity. It happens, it is part of the culture and the tradition and it will be hard to eradicate it because as i've said a million times before, you're dealing with young, confident, egotistical males that play a gladiatorial sport and want to outdo each other. The only thing the Bulldogs did differently to the other clubs was go to the exact same place for a number of years in a row making it easy for News to set up cameras to get a story, and have a few players wander out onto a balcony three storeys up where you had to really be looking to see the people there. Had that not occurred there is no story and the Bulldogs conducted what used to a wild end of year celebration in a private function room in a semi-controlled environment. If the Dogs didn't hire the room you're leaving it to the players to run free and that's more risky. I said it before, i'm more than happy for misbehaving NRL players to cop punishments in order to clean up the image of the game, my real issue here is what i've explained and that is that my mate who has a number of years policing in various areas under his belt confirmed that no action would be taken here for an ordinary Joe or say a stripper at a bucks or hens night in the exact same situation. So basically some players got dragged through the mud here as they were treated differently because they're NRL players and I personally don't think that's fair.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Rugby boys will happily use 'gay' as a slur but will nude up around each other and piss on each other for fun because it's 'just rugby banter'.... bizarre.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That culture has to change. No wonder we've got players getting into all sorts of other trouble as well, if they think this OK at their work place arranged end of year function. It's just not on anymore.

If someone were to say people got up to that in a private space on their own time... those are things that people do... I wouldn't blink, nothing wrong with it... but NRL clubs have to realise, things like that can't happen at a function they organise.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

in this instance I think the journo's were being more ridiculous
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine