in practicality Aust went within 32 runs of winning the series 2-1

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Sid »

Australia were 0/6 in the 2nd Innings, so the duckworth Lewis system would’ve worked in our favour..
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Who should be picked to play Sri Lanka? Coz we all know Shaun will be retained.

Right now, of the XI in the last Test:
1. Harris - on debut was our 2nd best bat. Needs to find the composer to convert though.
2. Khawaja - not a good series, but showed signs. Long term I think he goes back to #3.
3. ???
4. ???
5. Head - Was our best bat. Avged 40. Not bad in a badly beaten side. Im not a huge fan of Head, but, he has earnt his spot.
6. "Allrounder slot" - Stoinis - Its time. His competitive nature seems to make up for his deficiencies. Seamering allrounder is the preference in Australia, NZ, Sth African and England, so time to give him a run.
7. Paine - Avgs 35 in Tests, pretty sure thats about what we got in this series. Carey might be the future, but is he ready?
8. Cummins - No brainer
9. Starc - Down on form, sure, but was still the 2nd best bowler with the new ball in 2018.
10. Lyon - GOAT
11. Hazelwood - Also down on form, but 3rd best with new ball this yr.

Batting Options (incumbent order-ish):
1. Labuschagne didnt disgrace himself with the bat, BUUUT... surely there is better.

2. Handscombe - I still believe he is being scapegoated for his technique, BUT, 1 LBW in the series doesnt make it the issue. Needs to regain the ability to convert, as per his first half dozen or so Tests.

3. Renshaw - form isnt great, but long term, the guy looks a Test batsman, and has a weight of runs in county cricket.

4. Maxwell - 1st class career avg is in the 40s, but his wreckless style hurts him.

5. Wade - still feels like a backwards step, but weight of runs means he deserves another shot.

6. Burns - weight of runs means he deserves another shot. IMO, despite playing at the Gabba, he also cant play a moving ball. However, he avgs 40 in 1st class cricket.

No goes:
1. Finch - Isnt Warner. Cant play swing. He is a sitting duck if he goes to England.

2. SMarsh - 12 months of garbage is long enough.

3. MMarsh - like his brother, under delivered on his talent.

TBF, the 2 open spots are really seat fillers, for when Smith and Warner are available. So, whomever fills them has a lot of work to do to find a way in and keep it.

Against India they should have used the guys in form, eg Burns and Wade. Because its only 2 Tests til the Ashes, I think you have try the potential because there are 2 spots that arent cemented in Head and Harris. IMO you pick the 2 guys you think can survive in England. For mine, thats 2 of the top 3 on that list, but you can argue maturity and experience gives the other 3 candidacy.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

bonehead wrote:in practicality Aust went within 32 runs of winning the series 2-1

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
That scoreline flattered Australia

If you're relying on 10 and Jack to score 70 to get you home...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote: January 7, 2019, 7:30 pm Who should be picked to play Sri Lanka? Coz we all know Shaun will be retained.

1. Harris - on debut was our 2nd best bat. Needs to find the composer to convert though.
2. Khawaja - not a good series, but showed signs. Long term I think he goes back to #3.
3. ???
4. ???
5. Head - Was our best bat. Avged 40. Not bad in a badly beaten side. Im not a huge fan of Head, but, he has earnt his spot.
6. "Allrounder slot" - Stoinis - Its time. His competitive nature seems to make up for his deficiencies. Seamering allrounder is the preference in Australia, NZ, Sth African and England, so time to give him a run.
7. Paine - Avgs 35 in Tests, pretty sure thats about what we got in this series. Carey might be the future, but is he ready?
8. Cummins - No brainer
9. Starc - Down on form, sure, but was still the 2nd best bowler with the new ball in 2018.
10. Lyon - GOAT

1. Labuschagne didnt disgrace himself with the bat, BUUUT... surely there is better.

2. Handscombe - I still believe he is being scapegoated for his technique, BUT, 1 LBW in the series doesnt make it the issue. Needs to regain the ability to convert, as per his first half dozen or so Tests.

3. Renshaw - form isnt great, but long term, the guy looks a Test batsman, and has a weight of runs in county cricket.

4. Maxwell - 1st class career avg is in the 40s, but his wreckless style hurts him.

5. Wade - still feels like a backwards step, but weight of runs means he deserves another shot.

6. Burns - weight of runs means he deserves another shot. IMO, despite playing at the Gabba, he also cant play a moving ball. However, he avgs 40 in 1st class cricket.

No goes:
1. Finch - Isnt Warner. Cant play swing. He is a sitting duck if he goes to England.

TBF, the 2 open spots are really seat fillers, for when Smith and Warner are available. So, whomever fills them has a lot of work to do to find a way in and keep it.

Against India they should have used the guys in form, eg Burns and Wade. Because its only 2 Tests til the Ashes, I think you have try the potential because there are 2 spots that arent cemented in Head and Harris. IMO you pick the 2 guys you think can survive in England. For mine, thats 2 of the top 3 on that list, but you can argue maturity and experience gives the other 3 candidacy.
Not a huge fan of HEAD ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

-PJ- wrote: January 8, 2019, 6:25 am
Matt wrote: January 7, 2019, 7:30 pm Who should be picked to play Sri Lanka? Coz we all know Shaun will be retained.

3. ???
4. ???
8. Cummins - No brainer
10. Lyon - GOAT

No goes:

Not a huge fan of HEAD ?
Im gonna assume that your not in the gutter and say yep. His defensive technique isnt great, and he doesn't get his front leg to the ball enough. I actually expect him to nick a few in England.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Maxwell should be the first middle order batsman picked. You can’t call him too reckless and retain Travis Head.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: January 8, 2019, 8:19 am Maxwell should be the first middle order batsman picked. You can’t call him too reckless and retain Travis Head.
Maxwell in 14 innings avgs 26 at Test level - yes he played most of those on the subcontinent, blah blah blah.
Head in 11 innings avgs 32.6, at Test level - he just did most of that against arguably the best attack in World Cricket.

Ive also mentioned that I dont think Head will play a moving ball in England well due to his front foot movements. Im retaining him because in this series he has earnt it, or at least didn't do anything wrong.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Dusty wrote: January 3, 2019, 6:27 pm
LP Raider wrote:
Dusty wrote: January 3, 2019, 5:35 pm
LP Raider wrote:
Dusty wrote: January 3, 2019, 4:57 pm Wouldn’t it be great if we had pitches that made a captain seriously think about risks when winning the toss?

It should be a risk to bat first but if you’re good enough to ride out the first two sessions you get your reward

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
You honestly believe we would be 4 down at the close of play. We have a bloke who averages in the 30's at state level selected first drop.
Not sure where I said that.

I’m commenting on how winning the toss shouldn’t win you the game.

If anyone wins the toss, the conditions should provide the captain with a decision that has some risk attached to it. Hence make it a test of skills

Australia has been totally outplayed this series, nothing to do with winning a coin toss. If the Perth pitch wasn't such a shambles, which is my opinion and not an honest test than it would be 3 zip. In that instance winning the toss did impact the result which favoured Australians.
Australia winning the toss would have no impact on the result in this test match, an Indian win is about as safe as it gets if your that way inclined.
In world cricket, the toss has a major influence on test match results.

I’m not making excuses for our bog average team, just stating facts.

Not once did I mention a coin toss has disadvantaged Australia, I wrote about pitches, not Australia.

When a captain wins the toss, I believe, there should be a risk/test involved in whatever choice you make.

Sorry mate, I get your point I honestly do.

On the cans that day and was having a rant at the state of the cricket team.

Once again I fully understand your point and a good one at that.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Out of the top 6 there are 2 spots available after the bans.

Moving forward Marsh and Khawaja need to be moved on.
WorkChoice
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

All good...
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

LP Raider wrote: January 8, 2019, 2:08 pm Out of the top 6 there are 2 spots available after the bans.

Uzi? R u nutz?
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Looks like the selectors may have run out of excuses... sorry i mean reasons, not to drop the Marsh brothers...

Looks like neither will be picked to face Sri Lanka...
I found a moon rock in my nose....
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Squad to play SRI

Paine Hazlewood Burns Cummins Harris Head Khawaja Labuschagne Lyon Pucovski Renshaw Starc Siddle
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Australia squad for first Test against Sri Lanka: Tim Paine (c/wk), Josh Hazlewood (vc), Joe Burns, Pat Cummins, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Will Pucovski, Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/feature ... fFEY0z97iQ

FINALLY!!! Not a Marsh in sight. While its not that line they are spinning, at his age, you would think Shaun is done at Test level.

Better yet, I like the 3 selections that they have made.
1. Burns - Weight of runs finally pays off. Pity he seems to have gone off the boil a bit in T20.
2. Renshaw - His 1st grade numbers have been good, doesnt play T20, and we all agree he looks a Test batsmen, or at least has the right mental approach to it.
3. Pucovski - This kid is special. Really hope he can sort out his off field issues, concussion related, coz he looks very very good.

The only pick I dont like is Siddle. Its a waste. Unless they dont want to pull a Boland, Tremain or Sayers away from match situations and are happy for Siddz to be a quality net bowler/ 11th hr substitute quick should they get sick or injured on the morning of the game.

The other one, is the non-selection of Stoinis. I guess its Stoinis vs Pucovski for that final squad spot, and they have a better idea of Stoinis's quality/ ability?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Matt wrote: January 8, 2019, 9:36 am
julian87 wrote: January 8, 2019, 8:19 am Maxwell should be the first middle order batsman picked. You can’t call him too reckless and retain Travis Head.
Maxwell in 14 innings avgs 26 at Test level - yes he played most of those on the subcontinent, blah blah blah.
Head in 11 innings avgs 32.6, at Test level - he just did most of that against arguably the best attack in World Cricket.

Ive also mentioned that I dont think Head will play a moving ball in England well due to his front foot movements. Im retaining him because in this series he has earnt it, or at least didn't do anything wrong.
Head was given an extended run and Maxwell was chopped and changed. Maxwell is a better batsman at every level in every format imo. He’s also a better fielder and bowler.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Matt wrote: January 9, 2019, 1:27 pm Australia squad for first Test against Sri Lanka: Tim Paine (c/wk), Josh Hazlewood (vc), Joe Burns, Pat Cummins, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Will Pucovski, Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, Peter Siddle

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/feature ... fFEY0z97iQ

FINALLY!!! Not a Marsh in sight. While its not that line they are spinning, at his age, you would think Shaun is done at Test level.

Better yet, I like the 3 selections that they have made.
1. Burns - Weight of runs finally pays off. Pity he seems to have gone off the boil a bit in T20.
2. Renshaw - His 1st grade numbers have been good, doesnt play T20, and we all agree he looks a Test batsmen, or at least has the right mental approach to it.
3. Pucovski - This kid is special. Really hope he can sort out his off field issues, concussion related, coz he looks very very good.

The only pick I dont like is Siddle. Its a waste. Unless they dont want to pull a Boland, Tremain or Sayers away from match situations and are happy for Siddz to be a quality net bowler/ 11th hr substitute quick should they get sick or injured on the morning of the game.

The other one, is the non-selection of Stoinis. I guess its Stoinis vs Pucovski for that final squad spot, and they have a better idea of Stoinis's quality/ ability?
You leave Sids alone. The application applied to his duties as 12th man over a gruelling 2 months v IND have obviously not gone unnoticed by CA and have retained him..

He was probably the first sucker picked...
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I’d go with this side:

Renshaw
Harris
Khawaja
Burns
Head
Pucovski
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

What on Earth has Renshaw done to indicate he is a Test cricketer in 2018/19. Nothing. Sidles continued selection?? It is not putting any pressure on the pace bowlers to perform. Joke.

Burns and Harris should open, loose change at 3, Uzi 4, Head 5, Pucovski 6. The selection of Pucovski is interesting given his off field mental health issues. Has heaps of talent. I hope he is success.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Matt wrote: January 8, 2019, 4:20 pm
LP Raider wrote: January 8, 2019, 2:08 pm Out of the top 6 there are 2 spots available after the bans.

Uzi? R u nutz?
He is rubbish, he didn't stand up when needed.

Has flown under the radar with Smith and Warner in the side, had one good innings but that's it.
WorkChoice
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Uzi has some off field issues involving his brother which couldn't help but be distracting. I'm happy the selectors have stuck solid with him. But like every other player, he has to perform. Soon.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

RedRaider wrote: January 9, 2019, 5:38 pm What on Earth has Renshaw done to indicate he is a Test cricketer in 2018/19. Nothing. Sidles continued selection?? It is not putting any pressure on the pace bowlers to perform. Joke.

Burns and Harris should open, loose change at 3, Uzi 4, Head 5, Pucovski 6. The selection of Pucovski is interesting given his off field mental health issues. Has heaps of talent. I hope he is success.
Renshaw has showed more as a rest cricketer than every current batsman bar Khawaja.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

LP Raider wrote: January 9, 2019, 5:58 pm

Uzi? R u nutz?

Has flown under the radar with Smith and Warner in the side, had one good innings but that's it.
He’s our 3rd best batter. Our best currently by a country mile. He is and should be safe for ages.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Maybe true re Usman, but in the series just gone he wasn't much better than Shaun Marsh in my opinion. Hugely disappointing.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

julian87 wrote: January 9, 2019, 7:40 pm
LP Raider wrote: January 9, 2019, 5:58 pm

Uzi? R u nutz?

He’s our 3rd best batter. Our best currently by a country mile. He is and should be safe for ages.
Exactly. The side is struggling so to suggest we need to 'move on' from the only batsman who's proven to be successful at test level is an insane notion.

With Smith and Warner inavailable Usi is our best bat by a fair margin. You only drop soembody of the guy replacing him is meant to be a better option. Right now there is nobody in the country thats an upgrade on Usi.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I just wish usi showed more ruthlessness. I don't mean his languid batting style. He's got all the talent vI just feel like he hasn't found a way to consistently grab an innings by the balls and take authority. He could easily average close to 50 imo
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Azza wrote: January 9, 2019, 9:47 pm I just wish usi showed more ruthlessness. I don't mean his languid batting style. He's got all the talent vI just feel like he hasn't found a way to consistently grab an innings by the balls and take authority. He could easily average close to 50 imo
Agreed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Dusty wrote: January 9, 2019, 2:44 pm I’d go with this side:

Renshaw
Harris
Khawaja
Burns
Head
Pucovski
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

TBH, im not surprised to see 4 QLDers picked for the upcoming Test. Burns opens for QLD, and batted 6 on Test debut. I cant see him batting outside those 2 spots.
Renshaw is Burns current opening partner.
Uzi bats 3 for QLD, when he plays.
Labuschange moves down to 4 for QLD when Uzi is around. Labuschagne has actually floated all over the QLD lineup, Ive found him opening, at 3, 4 and 6. Couldnt find any at 5, but who knows? Maybe he has done that too.

TBH, my predicted side is:
Harris
Burns/ Renshaw
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Head
Pucovski/ Burns
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood
Siddle 12th man

In otherwords, I fell like its Renshaw vs Pucovski for the last spot.

Though I did read Labuscagne is playing the 1st class warmup game with Finch, Handscomb and the Marshs to get some match practice/ another look for selectors. So maybe he is there as the allrounder/ 2nd spinner more than as a batsmen? And therefore maybe he misses out?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... CToAgnYvKI

A wishy washy reason as to Maxwell not getting a look in
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Azza wrote: January 9, 2019, 9:47 pm I just wish usi showed more ruthlessness. I don't mean his languid batting style. He's got all the talent vI just feel like he hasn't found a way to consistently grab an innings by the balls and take authority. He could easily average close to 50 imo
I'm not disagreeing with this but I don't see it as any justification to drop him all together. That's just crazy talk.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

julian87 wrote: January 9, 2019, 7:39 pm
RedRaider wrote: January 9, 2019, 5:38 pm What on Earth has Renshaw done to indicate he is a Test cricketer in 2018/19. Nothing. Sidles continued selection?? It is not putting any pressure on the pace bowlers to perform. Joke.

Renshaw has showed more as a rest cricketer than every current batsman bar Khawaja.
He is averaging Under 20 in this season's Sheffield Shield. He has not been selected on form for the Sri Lanka Tests. Almost everyone but selector Hohn has been changed over the past 12 months. The continued selection of the likes of Siddle, the Marshes and now Renshaw should mean the end of him. Form doesn't matter to him and it should.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... RcGtU_t-xg

A few burning Qs, including more on Wades non selection.

Their expected batting line up:
1. Harris
2. Renshaw/Burns
3. Khawaja
4. Pucovski/Burns
5. Head
6. Labuschagne/Burns
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

RedRaider wrote: January 10, 2019, 12:16 pm
julian87 wrote: January 9, 2019, 7:39 pm

He is averaging Under 20 in this season's Sheffield Shield. He has not been selected on form for the Sri Lanka Tests. Almost everyone but selector Hohn has been changed over the past 12 months. The continued selection of the likes of Siddle, the Marshes and now Renshaw should mean the end of him. Form doesn't matter to him and it should.
Renshaw isn’t picked on current form. He’s picked because besides Khawaja he’s the best performing test bat for us in the last 2 yeas. Never should’ve been dropped last summer. And Langer’s first masterstroke as coach was to leave him out for Finch due to ‘lack of match practice’ even though the last bit of cricket he played in England he dominated. That decision alone cost Australia the India series imo.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He's picked on the fact it's a lead in series to an ashes and he scored 513 runs at 51 for Somerset