The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

Post by greeneyed »

I'm just watching matches from earlier in the day from the Raiders Team Day on Fox League. Just watched the 1990 Preliminary Final against the Broncos, and now the 1989 finals game against the Panthers.

And I'm thinking Chris O'Sullivan is the most under rated Canberra Raiders player in history. He won premierships, he started in a team of nobodies in 1982 and went to the top of the tree. But he is overlooked in his great contributions in teams full of stars.

So for mine, Chris O'Sullivan is the most underrated player in Raiders history. What's your view?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: The most underrated player in Canberra Raiders history

Post by The Nickman »

Matty Wood

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matty Wood very underrated too.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

David Boyle was pretty bloody good too

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And doesn't get big raps. Paul Martin was very good as well, and doesn't get the recognition he deserves either.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Underrated by the Rugby League community or Raiders fans???

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Dane tilse- very few realised how important he was. Havent made the finals since he left..

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote:Dane tilse- very few realised how important he was. Havent made the finals since he left..

:|

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Matt Orford
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Gary Coyne?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:02 pm Underrated by the Rugby League community or Raiders fans???

Why not tell us both?

I actually think Raiders fans under rate players like Matt Gafa. Very good rugby league player, yet Raiders fans constantly raise his name for worst Raiders players. Steve Stone the same. Good solid players.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: January 7, 2019, 7:46 pm Matty Wood
Not sold. Was lucky to be playing on the end of the backline that he was.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Bleach
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bleach »

Has to be Alan Tongue
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:
Dusty wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:02 pm Underrated by the Rugby League community or Raiders fans???

Why not tell us both?

I actually think Raiders fans under rate players like Matt Gafa. Very good rugby league player, yet Raiders fans constantly raise his name for worst Raiders players. Steve Stone the same. Good solid players.
Ok. I’ll have a think.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:12 pmGary Coyne?
But he played for Australia and Origin... hard to under rate an Australian player. Though that probably depends on your definition of under rated!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:16 pm
T_R wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:12 pmGary Coyne?
But he played for Australia and Origin... hard to under rate an Australian player. Though that probably depends on your definition of under rated!
Hence my strategically positioned question mark.

But you almost never hear his name when they talk about the greats, and he really was a pillar of those early championship teams.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

cat wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:03 pm Dane tilse- very few realised how important he was. Havent made the finals since he left..
Not the most under-rated player in Raiders history, but definitely underrated. People speak of him as if he was Kris **** Kahler or something. He was a good FGer for us for a long time. He had an awkward, lanky and ugly style that looked ugly, but he was much more efficient in terms of his numbers than he looked.

The answer, as i said about 5 minutes ago in another thread is Clinton Schifcofske. An absolute star footballer who dragged some bad teams kicking and screaming to moderate success. I would bet if you came up with some WAR stat for RL (WAR being Wins Above Replacement), Schif would rank in our top 3 all time for WAR. He won this team more games than anyone in the last 20 years.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 7:40 pm I'm just watching matches from earlier in the day from the Raiders Team Day on Fox League. Just watched the 1990 Preliminary Final against the Broncos, and now the 1989 finals game against the Panthers.

And I'm thinking Chris O'Sullivan is the most under rated Canberra Raiders player in history. He won premierships, he started in a team of nobodies in 1982 and went to the top of the tree. But he is overlooked in his great contributions in teams full of stars.

So for mine, Chris O'Sullivan is the most underrated player in Raiders history. What's your view?

O'Sullivan played a defensive role that doesn't exist anymore - bolting out of the line on a kick chase. There's no stat for 'Plays killed off before they even started', but if there was he'd have won it every season.

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Was Shifcofske underrated though? I'm not so sure
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Raiders666 wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:22 pm Was Shifcofske underrated though? I'm not so sure

I don't think so.

Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

General Rugby League community: Dean Lance

Both Raiders Fans and the General RL community : Chris O’Sullivan

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raiders666 wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:22 pm Was Shifcofske underrated though? I'm not so sure
When does anyone ever speak of him as a Raiders great?
In the moment he was loved, but quickly forgotten. No doubt he's underrated.

He was a better footballer than Mullins. Doesnt have Mullins highlights tape, not as flashy, but a better, smarter, more rounded fullback. He suffered from lack of talent around him. You plug Schif into our mid 90's team and he's the best fullback in the club's history, IMO.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:21 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 7:40 pm I'm just watching matches from earlier in the day from the Raiders Team Day on Fox League. Just watched the 1990 Preliminary Final against the Broncos, and now the 1989 finals game against the Panthers.

O'Sullivan played a defensive role that doesn't exist anymore - bolting out of the line on a kick chase. There's no stat for 'Plays killed off before they even started', but if there was he'd have won it every season.
Yes, but I'm just watching his organising and attack tonight at five eighth. Some absolutely sublime work from him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:25 pm

He was a better footballer than Mullins. Doesnt have Mullins highlights tape, not as flashy, but a better, smarter, more rounded fullback. He suffered from lack of talent around him. You plug Schif into our mid 90's team and he's the best fullback in the club's history, IMO.
He was my favourite player, but he broke our hearts. He was the captain, he kissed the emblem, but when Elliott walked out, he did too in our hour of need. Broke my heart anyway.

And by the way, the Schif shuffle was incredibly infuriating. Run hard sometimes mate! There is no way he was the Raiders best ever fullback, talent wise and results wise - compared to Belcher or Mullins.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dusty wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:23 pm General Rugby League community: Dean Lance

Both Raiders Fans and the General RL community : Chris O’Sullivan

Deano certainly under rated IMO.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:30 pm

He was my favourite player, but he broke our hearts. He was the captain, he kissed the emblem, but when Elliott walked out, he did too in our hour of need. Broke my heart anyway.
Cant dispute that. Im very much PRO athletes choice. He did what he thought was best, as he should do. But i think that plays in to his standing. Fans kind of want to forget that he was world class and superstar. In 2003 (i think?) it was down to him or Craig Gower for the cancelled Dally M medal.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

100% agree. I said almost the same thing to a mate over Christmas. He is criminally underrated by Raiders fans and completely forgotten by everyone else. I’d kill for him in out current side.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Pigman wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:34 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:30 pm

Cant dispute that. Im very much PRO athletes choice. He did what he thought was best, as he should do. But i think that plays in to his standing. Fans kind of want to forget that he was world class and superstar. In 2003 (i think?) it was down to him or Craig Gower for the cancelled Dally M medal.
Yes, but not close to Belcher or Mullins.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 7, 2019, 8:36 pm Yes, but not close to Belcher or Mullins.
In resume, no.
In talent, and as i said, if a WAR stat was created, i'd bet my mortgage he'd leave them for dead. Schif dragged horrible teams to respectable seasons. Mullins and Badge were finishing pieces in line ups that couldnt sniff the salary cap in canberra for Schif's time. Stacked line ups. 8-9-10 or more internationals in those sides. Schif was a one man band.

If you want to say Schif isnt as good as those guys, that's fine... "Not close"
That's why he's the most underrated player in our history imo. It's much closer than you're saying. Much.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BTW my closing argument is if Schifcofske wasnt a **** stud, no one would ever remember how to spell his **** name. They wouldnt get close
Yet a lot of Raiders fans get it pretty bloody close!

/analytics
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Ben Cross.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

As soon as I saw this thread title I immediately thought of Schifcofske. I agree wholeheartedly with Pigman. The bloke carried this team for years.

The amount of tackles he would break, line breaks, tries, clutch goals, he had it all. Should have played more rep footy. Unfortunately Lockyer had a mortgage on the position.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:Dane tilse- very few realised how important he was. Havent made the finals since he left..

Anyone but Dane Tilse and his 80m a game

Schif has my vote
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

+1 for Dean Lance
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd vote Schif in terms of the wider league as well. He was a world class player but is viewed as a very good clubman by most. If I was signing a player to a long term deal I would sign him before Mullins.

Thurling is one player I have a lot of time for. He would be a perfect middle forward for us these days, he was superb when he played lock for us in particular and probably ahead of his time in terms of style.

Troy Thompson would be useful as well, defensively he was a very good player and could punch out good meters without a fuss and with a very low error rate.

I never saw O'Sullivan but he was supposedly rorted for the 86 kangaroo tour when the halves in the game were insanely good, which really speaks for itself.

Some other players like TLL, Shillo and Monas are also not given full credit for their good years.