Did you know?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Did you know?

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: November 20, 2018, 4:14 pm 4 tries for me in the back yard against my nieces earlier this year.
Some big hits too, it was a blood bath.. Frightening return of form
And the girls ran in 11 tries..

Bloodbath indeed.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Look, this thread is supposed to be about how many tries bagged by an individual in a game so let’s not go too off topic about how much I lost by or how many of my teeth I had to pick up off the ground.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Sid wrote: November 21, 2018, 1:55 pm Look, this thread is supposed to be about how many tries bagged by an individual in a game so let’s not go too off topic about how much I lost by or how many of my teeth I had to pick up off the ground.
Apologies Sid..

You should be damn proud of your achievement. :thumbsup
greeneyed
Don Furner

Did you know?

Post by greeneyed »

Did you know? This week, we go back to the Raiders very first season. The Raiders had attempted to sign Manly forward Bruce Walker as captain in 1982. He agreed to a deal, but then backed out when Manly matched the Canberra offer. Coach Don Furner tried Jay Hoffman, Lloyd Martin and John McLeod in the captaincy role in three trial games, before settling on prop David Grant for the first premiership match.

His aggressive style of play was reflected in his nick name – Nana. John McLeod later explained: “We used to call him Nana, because when he did his nana you made sure you kept out of his way.” He sadly passed away in 1994, aged just 38. He is Raider No. 2, with founder Les McIntyre No. 1
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

3 trials and a wooden spoon.

It was the birth of the club we love.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Did you know? On their entry to the competition in 1982, Canberra promised that a public competition would be held to design a team jumper, complete with colours, which would not conflict with any other existing club. A competition would also be held to decide on the emblem and team name.

The jumper competition was won by Canberran Beverly Patricia Elphick (nee Taylor), selected from about 150 entries. The club colours combined the blue and gold official colours of the ACT and the colours of the first rugby league team in the district, Hall (green and white). The famous shade of lime green was selected so as to avoid a clash with South Sydney’s jersey. Don Furner later revealed that it was modelled on the green of a sofa at the Queanbeyan Leagues Club. "In Les McIntyre's office there was a lounge that was that colour and we said why not that colour there, and that's how it all began" Furner remembered. The idea for the club moniker, the Raiders, is also attributed to Don Furner, who had visited the Oakland Raiders NFL team in the United States. The concept was that Canberra would be going on raiding parties on Sydney every second weekend. The Viking emblem was designed by the NSWRL marketing department in the end.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Wonder where that sofa is now

greeneyed
Don Furner

Did you know?

Post by greeneyed »

Did you know? Laurie Daley took out the Dally M Player of the Year in 1995, with one of his best ever seasons. Daley produced brilliant football week after week, and finished well in front in the count, ahead of Cliff Lyons and Andrew Johns. Daley also took out the Dally M Five eighth of the Year and the Rugby League Week Player of the Year - as well as the Canberra Raiders Player of the Year. He was, however, controversially overlooked for representative duties, with the ARL deciding to overlook any players associated with Super League.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Did you know?

Post by greeneyed »

Did you know? With the Green Machine again playing on the Gold Coast in Round 1 2019, the Raiders will have played their Round 1 match just five times in the past two decades at home.

They last played the defending premiers in Round 1 in 1999, a home game against the Brisbane Broncos. The Round 1 home games since then were in 2000 (Bulldogs), 2005 (Knights), 2011 (Sharks), 2012 (Storm), 2016 (Panthers). Their first game in 2005 was the Round 2 clash against the Knights at Bruce.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I did not know that !
greeneyed
Don Furner

Did you know?

Post by greeneyed »

Did you know? When the Canberra Raiders played their first ever broadcast TV match in 1983, local station Capital 7 decided to show The Sound of Music instead! The Raiders were pushed to later in the night.

Find out what happened: http://ow.ly/IUvL30n5lnc
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders set their record 11 game winning streak twice - between 30 July 1989 and 25 March 1990 and between 18 September 1994 and 7 May 1995. They won two premierships in the midst of those streaks. The record for most consecutive wins in one season was set by the 2016 team... and they would have needed to win 13 in a row to take the premiership. However, they were defeated by the Sharks in Week 1 of the finals, and the Storm in the 2016 Preliminary Final. The 1975 Roosters team holds the record for most consecutive wins - 19 matches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Interesting, I didn’t know that.
Was there more/same amount of games played in 75?

I’d imagine that record would be locked in these days. You would need a team to have close to an unbeaten season

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Did you know? The very first time the Canberra Raiders played at Bruce Stadium - subsequently Canberra Stadium - was a trial match against the North Sydney Bears on 21 February 1987. The Raiders won 24-10, with Sam Backo and Terry Regan rampaging in the forwards, and John "Chicka" Ferguson scoring a double. It was the first match in green for new recruits Peter Jackson and Brent Todd in Canberra.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: December 30, 2018, 12:54 pm Image

The Raiders set their record 11 game winning streak twice - between 30 July 1989 and 25 March 1990 and between 18 September 1994 and 7 May 1995. They won two premierships in the midst of those streaks. The record for most consecutive wins in one season was set by the 2016 team... and they would have needed to win 13 in a row to take the premiership. However, they were defeated by the Sharks in Week 1 of the finals, and the the Storm in the 2016 Preliminary Final. The 1975 Roosters team holds the record for most consecutive wins - 19 matches.

This is not true. The raiders got beat by the sharks in the first round of finals. Had they won that game and the prelim game to make the final it would have been 12 wins in the trott regardless of the result in the GF
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

You're right, fixed.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Is it?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Did you know? Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker has kicked over one fifth of the 2996 goals scored in the Green Machine’s premiership history. He could possibly kick the 3000th goal in Round 1 this year. #nrl #bleedgreen #canberraraiders #weareraiders #rugbyleague #wearecbr

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: January 13, 2019, 3:20 pm Did you know? Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker has kicked over one fifth of the 2996 goals scored in the Green Machine’s premiership history. He could possibly kick the 3000th goal in Round 1 this year. #nrl #bleedgreen #canberraraiders #weareraiders #rugbyleague #wearecbr

I did not know that..
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Sid wrote: December 2, 2018, 10:35 am Wonder where that sofa is now
Can we ask Ben.. I need answers!!

greeneyed
Don Furner

Did you know?

Post by greeneyed »

RECORD COMEBACKS! Did you know? The Canberra Raiders have recovered from 22 points down twice. They trailed the Wests Tigers 22-0 after 28 minutes at Leichhardt Oval in 2015 and won 30-22. Then in 2016, they trailed the Newcastle Knights 22-0 after 38 minutes at Canberra Stadium and won 29-25 in golden point.

They've also come back from 18 points down twice. They trailed the Manly Sea Eagles 20-2 after 25 minutes at Bruce Stadium in 1998, ultimately winning 26-20. They also trailed the Panthers 18-0 after 32 minutes at Penrith in 2005 and won 26-18.

The biggest ever comeback in NRL history stands at 26 points, with the record held by the North Queensland Cowboys (1998 V Panthers) and the Penrith Panthers (2009 V Warriors).
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I knew that !!!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

What was our biggest lead we were run down from GE?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders worst collapse: Surrendered a 22 point lead. Led Parramatta 22-0 at half time at Parramatta Stadium on April 26, 1987 and lost 30-22; Led North Queensland 22-0 after 29 minutes at Canberra Stadium on June 5, 2011 and lost 40-24

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21854
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks GE. The 1987 result surprised me since we made the grand final that year.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

RedRaider wrote:Thanks GE. The 1987 result surprised me since we made the grand final that year.
Imagine how many Sack Wayne Bennett threads there would of been if the internet existed back then.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Don Furner said after that match that he was coaching in the first half, while Bennett was coaching in the second.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Explains everything :)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Did you know?

Post by greeneyed »

Did you know? John "Chicka" Ferguson is the oldest ever player to don the lime green, aged 36 and 70 days in 1990. Todd Payten holds the record as the youngest ever Canberra Raiders player, aged 17 years and 198 days when he made his first grade debut in 1996. Payten's record is likely to never be broken, due to NRL rules preventing very young players being selected in firsts.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Did you know?
The above post is absolute ****. Despite his forged birth certificate, voice analysis of Jason Smith has confirmed he was approximately 62 at during the 2006 season.