The Cricket Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:IND have won the toss and will bat..

Oh..Oh..
Yep. There goes the chance of tying the series.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

**** was really hoping Aus would bat first this test.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I just cannot fathom how a guy averaging 30 in domestic cricket can be brought in to bat first drop.

Dark days for Australian cricket.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So..
Here's how this will pan out.

IND bat for near on 2 full days..they amass 450-500 first inning runs.
AUS collapse..all out 200. Handscomb>duck.
AUS bat again..pitch now deteriorating fast.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Hazelnuts gets Rahul caught at first slip 1/10

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
roneel78
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Campese

Post by roneel78 »

T_R wrote:I just cannot fathom how a guy averaging 30 in domestic cricket can be brought in to bat first drop.

Especially when you compare that to the new indian opener (Agarwal).....apparently scored thousand runs in one month in domestic cricket! Easy pick for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sweet, get to watch Pujara and Kohli bat for 2 days again...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We really needed to win that toss.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Sack Paine! 1 out of 4 toss wins this series isn't good enough.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Not a good start for Lab, I have no idea why he is the team.

To say there are no other better options is a cop out.
Last edited by LP Raider on January 3, 2019, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

T_R wrote: January 3, 2019, 9:19 am I just cannot fathom how a guy averaging 30 in domestic cricket can be brought in to bat first drop.

Bowls half trackers, honestly these selectors need the chop.
WorkChoice
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Kohli out, thank ****
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

How good is Labuschagne our brilliant all-rounding first drop spinner, into the attack for one over, gets belted for 12, and off again.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Makaveli wrote: January 3, 2019, 2:53 pm How good is Labuschagne our brilliant all-rounding first drop spinner, into the attack for one over, gets belted for 12, and off again.
I don't think the selectors have done him any favours.

Everyone is thinking the same thing.
WorkChoice
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Wish Warnie would shutup, he's honestly becoming annoying

Starc has been blamed for almost everything, from our batting woes to world poverty. He is the second coming of Ian Chappell.
WorkChoice
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Largely depressing day.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

The game was over the moment the coin hit the ground

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Im so shocked that our team is sucking.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

Wouldn’t it be great if we had pitches that made a captain seriously think about risks when winning the toss?

It should be a risk to bat first but if you’re good enough to ride out the first two sessions you get your reward

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Feel like I've spent this entire series watching Pujara bat.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Dusty wrote: January 3, 2019, 4:57 pm Wouldn’t it be great if we had pitches that made a captain seriously think about risks when winning the toss?

It should be a risk to bat first but if you’re good enough to ride out the first two sessions you get your reward

You honestly believe we would be 4 down at the close of play. We have a bloke who averages in the 30's at state level selected first drop.
WorkChoice
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:Feel like I've spent this entire series watching Pujara bat.
I spent 2 of the 3 days I was in Melbourne watching him bat

Never slept so well in my life
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I see "King Kohli" was booed onto the field. There's shock and outrage at how disgraceful it is. Well, if you're a jerk... expect to get booed at a sporting field! Cricket is so precious sometimes!
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

Post by Dusty »

LP Raider wrote:
Dusty wrote: January 3, 2019, 4:57 pm Wouldn’t it be great if we had pitches that made a captain seriously think about risks when winning the toss?

You honestly believe we would be 4 down at the close of play. We have a bloke who averages in the 30's at state level selected first drop.
Not sure where I said that.

I’m commenting on how winning the toss shouldn’t win you the game.

If anyone wins the toss, the conditions should provide the captain with a decision that has some risk attached to it. Hence make it a test of skills

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:I see "King Kohli" was booed onto the field. There's shock and outrage at how disgraceful it is. Well, if you're a jerk... expect to get booed at a sporting field! Cricket is so precious sometimes!
I think that's a pretty unfair comment GE. To me Kohli looks to just be an incredibly tough competitor who respects the game, his opponents and strives to be the best player and captain he can be.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: January 3, 2019, 5:45 pm
greeneyed wrote:I see "King Kohli" was booed onto the field. There's shock and outrage at how disgraceful it is. Well, if you're a jerk... expect to get booed at a sporting field! Cricket is so precious sometimes!
I think that's a pretty unfair comment GE. To me Kohli looks to just be an incredibly tough competitor who respects the game, his opponents and strives to be the best player and captain he can be.

I’ve been watching him this series. Jerk is a fair description.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: January 3, 2019, 5:45 pm

I’ve been watching him this series. Jerk is a fair description.
How does he differ from any, I repeat any player that has worn the baggy green in the past 20 years?

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The few of ours who are jerks... the opposition can boo them all they like as far as I'm concerned.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

Dusty wrote: January 3, 2019, 5:35 pm
LP Raider wrote:

If anyone wins the toss, the conditions should provide the captain with a decision that has some risk attached to it. Hence make it a test of skills

Australia has been totally outplayed this series, nothing to do with winning a coin toss. If the Perth pitch wasn't such a shambles, which is my opinion and not an honest test than it would be 3 zip. In that instance winning the toss did impact the result which favoured Australians.
Australia winning the toss would have no impact on the result in this test match, an Indian win is about as safe as it gets if your that way inclined.
WorkChoice
Dusty
Ruben Wiki

The Cricket Thread

Post by Dusty »

LP Raider wrote:
Dusty wrote: January 3, 2019, 5:35 pm
LP Raider wrote:

Australia has been totally outplayed this series, nothing to do with winning a coin toss. If the Perth pitch wasn't such a shambles, which is my opinion and not an honest test than it would be 3 zip. In that instance winning the toss did impact the result which favoured Australians.
Australia winning the toss would have no impact on the result in this test match, an Indian win is about as safe as it gets if your that way inclined.
In world cricket, the toss has a major influence on test match results.

I’m not making excuses for our bog average team, just stating facts.

Not once did I mention a coin toss has disadvantaged Australia, I wrote about pitches, not Australia.

When a captain wins the toss, I believe, there should be a risk/test involved in whatever choice you make.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why not "share" the result of the first toss over a series? It would take out the advantage for one team due to simple luck. Have one toss at the start of the series... and then the other team gets to choose what to do in the next match, and then reverses, etc. In a five Test series, the initial winner gets three choices to two. But at least they're shared fairly evenly.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

It’s amazing how we never talked about coin tosses when we were a great side.....

Nor did we talk about pitches....

Booing Kolhi is really poor form. One of the games best players deserves more respect.

We are in a tough period of Australian Cricket. After the suspensions it was always going to be difficult. What I find disappointing is the selectors seem to be making some terrible decisions. Yes the talent pool is shallow but there is no way Finch should have been opening, Maxwell missing or old mate batting at 3. To make things worse our “best bowling attack” is all horribly out of form or being given terrible game plans at the same time. To win a game of test cricket you need to be able to take 20 wickets and at the moment we are just not up to it.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rick wrote: January 3, 2019, 6:55 pm It’s amazing how we never talked about coin tosses when we were a great side.....

Nor did we talk about pitches....

Booing Kolhi is really poor form. One of the games best players deserves more respect.

We are in a tough period of Australian Cricket. After the suspensions it was always going to be difficult. What I find disappointing is the selectors seem to be making some terrible decisions. Yes the talent pool is shallow but there is no way Finch should have been opening, Maxwell missing or old mate batting at 3. To make things worse our “best bowling attack” is all horribly out of form or being given terrible game plans at the same time. To win a game of test cricket you need to be able to take 20 wickets and at the moment we are just not up to it.

You’re no doubt right on coin tosses. But Kohli deserves to be treated as he behaves. He behaves like a jerk. Just because he’s a good player makes not the slightest bit of difference. I didn’t see a lot of people in NSW treating Wally Lewis with any respect because he was a good player. He was the enemy and they booed him mercilessly.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

No he doesn't..

Booing Kohli is as **** form as booing Mitch Marsh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So he is a jerk... but he's immune from being judged for his less than admirable actions on field, because he's a good player? This is why I think cricket is precious at times.