Marwan Koukash

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Marwan Koukash

Post by BigPapa »

Marwan Koukash has been interested in buying an NRL team. Our club has become mediocre and I think everyone could agree a change is needed. He could help with building a new stadium. Would we ever sell the club and what would the pros and cons be?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Marwan Koukash

Post by Botman »

I'd sign up for it without batting an eye.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Passes Pigman's 1 point selection criteria in not being able to point to QBN on a map haha
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

“It’s a yes from me”
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yeah nah

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

As long as he doesn't promise to wear a custom made G-String if we win the Grand Final.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Hasn't really bought success elsewhere has he?

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That'd be a disaster in waiting.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Ummmmm nup
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: January 2, 2019, 11:37 am Passes Pigman's 1 point selection criteria in not being able to point to QBN on a map haha
It really is all i need.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

greeneyed wrote: January 2, 2019, 1:08 pm That'd be a disaster in waiting.
Why do you think it'd be a disaster?
christoraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by christoraider »

A certain billionaire and a club north of Sydney ring any bells ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Does he dabble in halfback ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BigPapa wrote: January 2, 2019, 2:11 pm
He took over Salford... and he saved them. His net worth is reportedly $3 billion, so he' not likely to run out of cash.

But he's 60 years old... he's not the most stable of characters... and just walked out on Salford. What happens when he decides to walk on the Raiders?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: January 2, 2019, 2:32 pm
He took over Salford... and he saved them. His net worth is reportedly $3 billion, so he' not likely to run out of cash.

But he's 60 years old... he's not the most stable of characters... and just walked out on Salford. What happens when he decides to walk on the Raiders?
If we show him the awesome bike tracks around Canberra he may never leave...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: January 2, 2019, 2:32 pm

As long as he has paid for and built a new stadium, who cares?!?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He won't be building a stadium. It would cost $300 million. Even when you've got $ 3billion, that'd be a fair dent in your wealth for something that government really should build.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Would be a shake up needed to start with. What happens when he loses interest? That's my big concern.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 2, 2019, 4:03 pm Would be a shake up needed to start with. What happens when he loses interest? That's my big concern.
Do the knights deal where you sell it to him cheaply with protections that include not being able to move the team, and that allow the QBN mafia to buy the licence back for $1 or whatever
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders have, in effect, done that before. First to Woodgers, then to News Corporation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Third time the charm!

Honestly though, we’ve been through this before, and whilst it didn’t work out then it does show the concerns about the downside of this are overstated

The floor is it goes totally pear shaped and the licence ends up back in the hands of the current buffoons

The ceiling is world sporting domination.

Let’s get it, kings
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Is there much horse racing around Canberra?

He won't be going anywhere where he can't be with his horses (his main sporting love).

He was certainly generous at Salford, but impatient and has a huge ego - as I'm sure he's earned the right to display. The rugby almost became a sideshow at Salford.

Now, that being said, the sport's profiles are very different on either side of the world. We're lucky to get more than a paragraph or two per week in the written press over here, but he won't trouble the RL news cycle in Aus.

I was initially in favour of him, but his antics became tiresome. However, having left Salford, he gave them a parting gift of writing off his loans - a pretty classy act. He deserves the benefit of any doubt for doing that.

He's also heavily rumoured to be the money behind Andrew Chalmers at Bradford.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The press here were eating him up when he promised to dress outlandishly (in a g string) if his horse won the Melbourne Cup. I’m sure he’d create headlines as an NRL club owner, but I’m not sure they’re the sort of headlines the NRL would want.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: January 3, 2019, 5:48 am The press here were eating him up when he promised to dress outlandishly (in a g string) if his horse won the Melbourne Cup. I’m sure he’d create headlines as an NRL club owner, but I’m not sure they’re the sort of headlines the NRL would want.
“Billionaire investor wants to purchase a club in a thing called the NRL”
Im sure theyd take it
Dont delete this GE
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Or one for all of us
“Billionaire owner of canberra raiders loses patience with club coach after finishing tenth, again. Sacks him”
Dont delete this GE
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

simo wrote: January 3, 2019, 6:18 am
greeneyed wrote: January 3, 2019, 5:48 am The press here were eating him up when he promised to dress outlandishly (in a g string) if his horse won the Melbourne Cup. I’m sure he’d create headlines as an NRL club owner, but I’m not sure they’re the sort of headlines the NRL would want.
“Billionaire investor wants to purchase a club in a thing called the NRL”
Im sure theyd take it
They didn’t seem keen on selling the Titans to him.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Marwan Koukash

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

It’d be a hell yeah for me. Would do better than the current regime.

For the comment around wearing a G String if we win the GF. Sacrifice I’m willing to take. If the end result is a trophy, he can wear whatever he wants.

For the horse racing comment. It’s not that far from the prestigious Moruya Jockey Club. He’s set.

As for Woodgers owning the Raiders. I didn’t know he had that much cash around. Props to the guy. I always thought it was just the Feneral and TR in the Megarich elite club on this forum

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 3, 2019, 7:34 am It’d be a hell yeah for me. Would do better than the current regime.

For the comment around wearing a G String if we win the GF. Sacrifice I’m willing to take. If the end result is a trophy, he can wear whatever he wants.

For the horse racing comment. It’s not that far from the prestigious Moruya Jockey Club. He’s set.

As for Woodgers owning the Raiders. I didn’t know he had that much cash around. Props to the guy. I always thought it was just the Feneral and TR in the Megarich elite club on this forum

It was not a complete buy out, more a significant sponsorship that bought control of the board... while leaving the other board members and administration in place. From The Story of the Green Machine:

The successful year on field in 1984 was capped by a major announcement on 13 November at the Lakeside Hotel: the Woodgers Corporation would buy a controlling interest in the Canberra Raiders for a total of $1 million. The Raiders had become Australia’s first privately owned football team – putting into effect the concept floated at the start of the season. Under the terms of the deal, Woodgers would pay the Canberra District Rugby League Football Club $200,000 a year in advance for the next five seasons. The CDRLFC had a company structure which meant it had members, rather than shareholders – and in exchange for the payments, the board made Woodger the major member, delivering the company a controlling interest in the club. Jim Woodger and another member of his corporation, John Leaver, would become board members of the CDRLFC as part of the arrangement. While billed as a private franchising, in effect the existing management would maintain considerable autonomy over operations and influence at board level.

Raiders’ chairman Les McIntyre said: “It’s an exciting step and one we believe will have a major impact on the future administration not only of rugby league, but on all football codes. Initially, part of the additional funds generated will be specifically earmarked to develop the game at junior levels”. NSWRL chairman Tom Bellew and NSWRL general manager John Quayle were also present for the announcement. Bellew said: “We are pleased to see Woodgers represented on the Raiders board and they will be able to provide valuable business expertise to the club and also have some say in the running of the club. This move will ensure the financial viability of the Raiders for a number of years when others are struggling”.

Jim Woodger promised not to get involved in the detail of the day to day operations of the Raiders. “We believe that although the club is already one of the best administered in the league, we can make a major contribution that will benefit the team both on and off the field. We are confident the club will not only perform well in 1985 but also finish the year with a surplus.” Time would tell how the arrangement would unfold in 1985 and beyond.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Pigman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: January 2, 2019, 4:03 pm Would be a shake up needed to start with. What happens when he loses interest? That's my big concern.
Do the knights deal where you sell it to him cheaply with protections that include not being able to move the team, and that allow the QBN mafia to buy the licence back for $1 or whatever
And that worked out so well with tinkler. Nrl had to bail them out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Pigman wrote: January 2, 2019, 4:52 pm
Some frigging sense being written at last. Do none of you follow the NFL? Teams privately owned being moved to wherever the grass is greener including the Oakland (soon to be Las Vegas) Raiders.

Besides, didn't the whole Tinkler thing go well for the Knights and let's not forget Clive Palmer's foray into soccer.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

And Roman Abramovich, Matt Trip/Bart Campbell, David Traktovenko, and Tony Sage

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021