What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2019 line up?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Greenhouse has traditionally run a series of polls in the off season to determine the fans' view of the strongest possible top 17... irrespective of injuries. However, this year we're going to do something a little different.

We'll assess the contenders for each position over coming days... starting with fullback. Tell us what you think about each position.

As well, we're inviting you to list your strongest possible team right here in this thread. Remember, this is a squad irrespective of injuries. Think of it this way: it is the team you want firing in the finals! Feel free to update your team as the squad is added to and the trials proceed.

The contenders - Fullback

Jack Wighton
Nick Cotric
Jordan Rapana
Brad Abbey

Jack Wighton has served the 10 week suspension for an off field incident, and will be available from Round 1. He showed some very good form in the first half of 2018, and he finally seemed to have found his feet in the No. 1 jersey. However, given the lack of depth in the halves, following the departure of Blake Austin, some fans would like to see him make the shift to five eighth. He was tried in that position in the first nine rounds of 2014 - an experiment that did not pay off. But Wighton is a much more experienced player now - and a better ball player. His defensive capabilities at five eighth would fix one of the biggest problems of 2018.

If he were to make the shift, some would like to see Nick Cotric again tried in the No. 1 jersey. He covered for Wighton at fullback in four matches in 2018 - and the youngster found it tough going. But he played well in the position in junior grades, and - if coach Stuart chose - he could have another pre-season preparing for the role at NRL level.

The other option is Brad Abbey, who played seven games at fullback - and two on the wing - in the second half of the 2018 season. He struggled to make the step up to first grade - and was prone to error - but he's also still a young, developing player.

Jordan Rapana is likely to be out for the first 12 rounds with a shoulder injury, sustained in New Zealand's Test series against England. However, he is eligible for your strongest team line ups, as this exercise assumes all players are fully fit. He's only played four games at fullback for the Raiders, the last being Round 11 of 2015, but he looked very assured in the role.

The Raiders have listed youngster Andre Niko in their squad as a fullback - but as he's a development player, he won't be able to play first grade, unless there is an injury crisis and it is approved by the NRL. He has shown a good deal of potential in junior grades - but he has mostly played on the wing.

Tomorrow, we'll assess the contenders at halfback.

Jack Wighton's 2018 and statistics
Nick Cotric's 2018 and statistics
Brad Abbey's 2018 and statistics
Jordan Rapana's 2018 and statistics
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: What's your strongest possible Canberra Raiders 2019 line up?

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Assuming no more additions to the squad this is IMO our strongest 19 man squad.

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Sezer
7. Williams
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Soliola
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Lui
16. Guler
17. Sutton

18. Bateman
19. Horsburgh

Plenty of experience and ability in the starting 13 but drops off pretty quickly once you hit the bench.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Green eyed Mick wrote: December 30, 2018, 3:14 pm Assuming no more additions to the squad this is IMO our strongest 19 man squad.

1. Wighton
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Sezer
7. Williams
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Soliola
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Bateman

14. Havili
15. Lui
16. Guler
17. Sutton

18. Bateman
19. Horsburgh

Plenty of experience and ability in the starting 13 but drops off pretty quickly once you hit the bench.
You left out Rapana?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

1. Cotric
2. Oldfield
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Lui
9. Hodgson
10. Papalli
11. Tapine
12. J Bateman
13. Whitehead

14. Havili
15. Sutton
16. Guler
17. Soliola

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: December 30, 2018, 3:32 pm 1. Cotric
2. Oldfield
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Rapana
6. Sezer
7. Williams
8. Lui
9. Hodgson
10. Papalli
11. Tapine
12. J Bateman
13. Whitehead

14. Havili
15. Sutton
16. Guler
17. Soliola
You left out Wighton?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Wighton is easily our best choice at FB.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: December 30, 2018, 5:09 pm Wighton is easily our best choice at FB.
Agreed.
Trouble is he's probably our best choice 5/8th too.

Another problem is he's a total **** **** who i dont really want to support.
Quite a situation we're in.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pigman wrote: December 30, 2018, 5:21 pm
Agreed.

:hmmm :thumbsup
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Our best 17 (barring recruitment)

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nic Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. BJ Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Aiden Sezer
7. Sam Williams
8. Ryan Sutton
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Josh Papalii
11. Joseph Tapine
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. John Bateman

14. Sivila Havili
15. Sia Soliola
16. Emre Guler
17. Dumanis Lui

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Greenhouse has traditionally run a series of polls in the off season to determine the fans' view of the strongest possible top 17... irrespective of injuries. However, this year we're doing something a little different.

We're assessing the contenders for each position... and we hope you'll tell us what you think. Today we assess the contenders for half back.

As well, we're inviting you to list your strongest possible team right here in this thread. Remember, this is a squad irrespective of injuries. Think of it this way: it is the team you want firing in the finals! Feel free to update your team as the squad is added to and the trials proceed.

The contenders - Half back

Aidan Sezer
Sam Williams
Ata Hingano

The Raiders have a worryingly short list of contenders in the halves for 2019. The club has released five eighth Blake Austin and Junior Kiwi Paul Roache - and has not added a halves recruit. There's speculation Jack Wighton might be played at five eighth. But when you take account of the injury to Ata Hingano, which will keep him on the sideline for much of the first half of 2019, there is very little depth in the key play making positions.

Aidan Sezer is the half back incumbent at the Raiders. There is little difference, of course, in modern rugby league between half back and five eighth - with the halves "split", controlling one side of the field or the other. Some teams have more traditional structures, with the halves more free to roam - the half back taking the role of organiser, the five eighth more a runner.

When Aidan Sezer came to the Raiders in 2016, he'd played just seven of his 71 games at the Gold Coast Titans at half back, the remainder at five eighth. At the Raiders, he's played just four of 66 games at five eighth, and the bulk of the remainder at half back. Either way, he is more of an organiser than the traditional five eighth - and there is little doubt he's the best defensive half amongst our three contenders.

Sezer had a disrupted 2018, starting on the bench in the utility/hooker role at the beginning of the season. That was a failed experiment, and by Round 6, he was back in the No. 7 jersey. It is where he looked most comfortable. His form has been "up and down" at Canberra. In some games he's looked like a world beater, but in others he drifts out of the match. If he's again preferred for the No. 7 jersey in 2019, he'll take the role of the organiser in the halves - but probably won't be the dominant play maker, while Josh Hodgson is on the field.

Most of Sam Williams' 80 games at the Raiders have also been at half back. He's played nine games in the No. 6, and one off the bench - the rest of his games have been in the No. 7. He's now in his third stint at the club, after departing for the Dragons in 2014 and Wakefield in 2017. His strengths are his organisational ability and his kicking - and that aspect of his game might just shade Sezer. But defence is the area of his game that lets him down. It is not the result of any lack of effort, desire or courage, but other players can take advantage of his body size. He's willing and enthusiastic, but he too is a player who drifts out of games at times. He's spent a lot of time playing for the Raiders' affiliate Mounties - and he is probably the best half back going around at NSW Premiership level. His best chance of a spot in the top 17 next season might be at five eighth.

Ata Hingano joined the Raiders in 2018, looking for an opportunity to play first grade regularly. He was given that chance, playing nine games off the bench in the hooker utility role. While he can play at dummy half, his best spot is in the halves. He was injured twice in 2018 while playing for Tonga. An ankle injury suffered in the mid season Pacific Test put him out for the rest of the season. He then suffered a shoulder injury in his comeback game, Tonga's post season Test against Australia. As a result, he'll miss the best part of the first half of the 2019 season. He's a young player, still developing, but once fit, he still might struggle to take a spot in the top 17.

Brendan O'Hagan is a development player, so he isn't eligible to play first grade, unless there's an injury crisis. He's a Newcastle Knights junior and has just turned 20 years of age. He graduated to NSW Premiership level with Mounties in 2018. He is a half back with a lot of potential, and probably has more upside than Hingano. However, he's still a way off an NRL debut.

What are your views? Tomorrow, we'll assess the contenders at five eighth.

Aidan Sezer's 2018 and statistics
Sam Williams' 2018 and statistics
Ata Hingano's 2018 and statistics
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Pigman wrote:
Agreed.

Put me on record with agreeing with the Pigman.
Got in just before 2018 ended Image
I’m not a fan of his and don’t really want to support him but I guess he ain’t going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Keghead
Noa Nadruku

Post by Keghead »

Brew wrote: December 31, 2018, 11:36 am
Pigman wrote:
Agreed.

I’m not a fan of his and don’t really want to support him but I guess he ain’t going anywhere.

Oh my how will he get on without the support of a couple of nobody's.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Keghead wrote: December 31, 2018, 5:40 pm
Brew wrote: December 31, 2018, 11:36 am
Pigman wrote:
Agreed.

Oh my how will he get on without the support of a couple of nobody's.
He’ll be fine
He’s got a talent, a lot money, he’s a deadbeat, and a criminal... also he’s got the unbridled support of a bunch of nobodies

So yeah. He’ll be fine.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Like Wighton, Sezer is the obvious choice to wear the #7
Sthsea22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Sthsea22 »

Noticed Wighton doing a lot of filed kicking at training the other day, might mean he plays 5/8

1. Cotric
2. Croker
3. Whitehead
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezar
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. Soiola
12. Tapine
13. J Bateman

14. Havilii
15. Lui
16. Guler
17. L Bateman
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yep, hearing Wighton training at five eighth.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Makes sense.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote:Yep, hearing Wighton training at five eighth.
It makes sense I guess and I’m not against it. However, with no Rapana for half of the season this does leave us thin in the outside backs.

If it is the case are we looking at Cotric at 1 or even Abbey? I don’t think Cotric has the ball playing skills at this stage to play the ‘on trend’ second Five Eighth role in attack. Abbey is probably ahead of him in that regard. However, Cotric would/could be very damaging returning from the back and in support play through the middle of the ruck, this is where he is a mile ahead of Abbey.

I’m not sure what to think. If it Wighton to six, maybe this for round 1:

1. Cotric
2. Croker
3. J. Bateman
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Sutton
9. Hodgson
10. Papalii
11. Tapine
12. Whitehead
13. Soliola

14. Havili
15. Soliola
16. Guler
17. Lui

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I’m not sold on Cotric at Fullback at this stage of his career. He looked completely gassed last time after a few games

In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Greenhouse has traditionally run a series of polls in the off season to determine the fans' view of the strongest possible top 17... irrespective of injuries. However, this year we're doing something a little different.

We're assessing the contenders for each position... and we hope you'll tell us what you think. Today we assess the contenders for five eighth.

The contenders - Five eighth

Jack Wighton
Sam Williams
Aidan Sezer
Ata Hingano

The list of contenders for the Raiders' five eighth in 2019, is almost the same as half back - but with one notable addition, Jack Wighton.

We discussed the form and prospects of Sam Williams, Aidan Sezer and Ata Hingano when we assessed the contenders for half back. From that list, Sam Williams looks to be the most likely option for five eighth in 2019.

However, there are reports that Jack Wighton is training at five eighth in the pre season. Wighton played at wing and centre in the first two years of his NRL career, before being tried at five eighth at the start of 2014. He played the first nine rounds in that position, but he did not look happy in the role. He was shifted back to centre in Round 10, and then fullback late in the year. He's only returned to the halves once - in 2015.

His ball playing has improved over time in the No. 1 jersey. In 2018, he was in the top 10 fullbacks for total try involvements per match for the year - on par with Billy Slater and Kalyn Ponga. Remarkably, he produced 11 try assists in half a season, just two fewer than the whole of 2017. That was almost one try assist per match, which was second only to Tom Trbojevic in the NRL. He also produced 15 line break assists, which was top 10 in the NRL - and no fullback in the NRL did better on a per match basis. Add his very strong defence to that mix - a serious weakness in the halves in 2018 - and it is not surprising that coach Ricky Stuart is tempted to repeat his 2014 Wighton experiment.

There is not much doubt that Sam Williams has a better organisational and kicking game than Wighton. But Williams has issues with his defence. There are big name halves with worse defensive records than Williams. His tackle efficiency (80 per cent) in 2018 was fairly good. But he also averaged 0.8 try causes and line break causes per match last year. And those numbers are well off the benchmarks amongst NRL five eighths.

Will it be Williams or Wighton? Raiders fans will be watching the trial matches closely to see which way coach Ricky Stuart jumps.

What are your views? Tomorrow, we'll assess the contenders at hooker.

Jack Wighton's 2018 and statistics
Sam Williams' 2018 and statistics
Aidan Sezer's 2018 and statistics
Ata Hingano's 2018 and statistics
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Shifting Cotric to fullback (and Wighton to 5/8th) would be a change you'd have to make early and stick with.

Given this is a make or break year for Ricky, I can't see him taking that big of a risk.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Green eyed Mick wrote: January 1, 2019, 1:15 pm Shifting Cotric to fullback (and Wighton to 5/8th) would be a change you'd have to make early and stick with.

Given this is a make or break year for Ricky, I can't see him taking that big of a risk.
Yeah that’s exactly how I feel about it too.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ive made my view on Cotric at fullback well known. I know the kid is young and super talented, but i just dont see him at FB. HOWEVER, if you are to do it, he has to be there in Rd 1.

That said, right now Sammy is our 5/8, and its basically by default. Hingano is too fragile and currently injured. Jacks at the back and Sezer is at 7.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders top 17 from an article on LU: https://leagueunlimited.com/news/32713-top-17s-in-2019/

I think they're way off suggesting Hingano is in the strongest top 17 and that John Bateman will start on the bench. I'm increasingly of the view Jack Wighton will start at five eighth, if a new fullback is recruited. I'll be surprised if Sutton starts, but he's definitely keen and I hope he works hard enough to get the starting spot.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

My starting middles are Papa and Bateman with one from either Sutton, Lui, Sia or Guler. The rest I think are fighting for a spot on the bench.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think Papa (8), Sia (10 or 15), Guler (10 or 15) and JB (13) are the staple middles

You want Sutton to round things out at #16 and push Sia by mid season to the tweener middle/edge bench role
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Would we push Elliott into the 13 for the first 6-8 weeks for Bateman to get up to speed?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Possible.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Green eyed Mick wrote: January 1, 2019, 1:15 pm Shifting Cotric to fullback (and Wighton to 5/8th) would be a change you'd have to make early and stick with.

We'd surely have to be signing a replacement fullback for this to go ahead
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I will be very surprised if Cotric plays fullback regularly this year, even if Wighton plays mostly five-eighth.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Pigman wrote: January 1, 2019, 8:38 pm I think Papa (8), Sia (10 or 15), Guler (10 or 15) and JB (13) are the staple middles

You want Sutton to round things out at #16 and push Sia by mid season to the tweener middle/edge bench role
It seems to be popular consensus that J. Bateman will play 13 for us. From what I have seen he is most certainly an edge forward. I hope he plays second row for us.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: January 1, 2019, 10:35 pm
Pigman wrote: January 1, 2019, 8:38 pm I think Papa (8), Sia (10 or 15), Guler (10 or 15) and JB (13) are the staple middles

It seems to be popular consensus that J. Bateman will play 13 for us. From what I have seen he is most certainly an edge forward. I hope he plays second row for us.
Yeah I don’t really know anything about him, I don’t watch ESL or international RL.

So going off others, I’ll have to wait to see him at the NRL level before I form any opinions on him middle v edge
Even if he plays edge, you replace JB with Elliott Whitehead as our middle staple, I’ve always come away super impressed every time EW has played in the middle

I think he’s my favourite player tbh. He’s so versatile, and smart. Tremendous footballer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Brew wrote:I’m not sold on Cotric at Fullback at this stage of his career. He looked completely gassed last time after a few games

He was completely gassed mate.

If Abbey can bulk up, he'd actually be a better fullback than Cotric IMO. Leave Neddy on the wing. He'll be ready for centre in future.

Sent from my SM-G960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I've been keen on Wighton to 5/8 for a while now, and probably the only difference i have with most is about Tapine and Whitehead.
I just think Whitehead is too skillfull and mobile to be in the middle making tons of tackles. The bloke is seriously talented and i want him there to finish opportunities ect. Yes he can play middle, but I much prefer him on the edge. He played on the edge for England and was their best player. For me he is a skillfull edge player with a high workrate, so can cross over and do a great job in the middle because he is a great player. But edge is his best position, and also his best in our team.
Then with Tapine he was great on the edge this year, but he has the size to play in the middle. He also has a great sidestep, fend and offload. Things that make him a dynamic middle. He doesn't have the motor of Whitehead yet, so an impactful 50 mins in the middle is a better balance for the side. Adds a really talented dynamic player into our front row rotation. No size issues with him either.

I'm counting on the addition of a fullback based on reports, and the obvious need. It seems like we can expect this to happen which is great.
For balance I'd be looking at adding another journeyman style front rower in the Lui mould to improve depth, but i guess that depends how much faith the coaching staff have in Guler/Sutton/Horsburgh/Murchie/Hunt being first grade standard players in 2019.. All 5 of them could play a fair bit of First grade depending on injuries, so you'd want to hope they are up to it.
The starting 13 are objectively very strong even accounting for my bias, but it's the depth once you go to the bench and beyond it that is worrying.
Looking at the starting 13, there are plenty of coaches that could take that team to the Top 4, so there's reason to be confident. Whether we do or not is another story.

1. TBA - Edwards or Dufty -formerly Ben Barba :)
2. Cotric
3. Croker
4. Leilua
5. Oldfield
6. Wighton
7. Sezer
8. Tapine
9. Hodgson
10. Soliola
11. J Bateman
12. Whitehead
13. Papalii

14. Havili
15. Sutton
16. Lui
17. L Bateman
Guler, horsburgh and Murchie first drop.
Not against either of these blokes taking a spot on the bench on pre-season form. I'm really only wedded to Havili and Lui for their performances last year.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Pigman wrote: January 2, 2019, 6:30 am
Wiki Special wrote: January 1, 2019, 10:35 pm

Yeah I don’t really know anything about him, I don’t watch ESL or international RL.

So going off others, I’ll have to wait to see him at the NRL level before I form any opinions on him middle v edge
Even if he plays edge, you replace JB with Elliott Whitehead as our middle staple, I’ve always come away super impressed every time EW has played in the middle

I think he’s my favourite player tbh. He’s so versatile, and smart. Tremendous footballer
I love Whitehead too. Would rather move Tapine to the middle with the two Poms in the second row.