Cronulla Sharks 2019

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where will the Sharks finish in 2019?

Minor premiers
No votes
Top four
No votes
Top eight
29%
Bottom eight
57%
Bottom four
No votes
Wooden spoon/least wins
14%

Total votes: 7

greeneyed
Don Furner

Cronulla Sharks 2019

Post by greeneyed »

Cronulla Sharks: 2019 Round 1 predicted team

NRL.com's predicted Round 1 team:

1. Matt Moylan
2. Sione Katoa
3. Josh Dugan
4. Josh Morris
5. Aaron Gray
6. Shaun Johnson
7. Chad Townsend
8. Andrew Fifita
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Matt Prior
11. Kurt Capewell
12. Scott Sorensen
13. Paul Gallen

14. Jayson Bukuya
15. Ava Seumanufagai
16. Aaron Woods
17. Kyle Flanagan

Other squad members: Wade Graham, Blayke Brailey, Sosaia Feki, William Kennedy, Isaac Lumelume, Billy Magoulias, Briton Nikora, Cruz Topai-Aveai, Braden Uele, Jack Williams, Bronson Xerri

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/23/cro ... cted-team/
julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: Cronulla Sharks 2019

Post by julian87 »

Odd that Gray is in the prediction over Feki?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

18th man- Pep Tide
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Coached by Kane Hanagan

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Despite all the crap going on I think they still go alright. Good mix of tough forwards and some real spark in the backline. Took Moylan half a season to adjust to sharks style and permanent switch to 6 but then looked good. And now switching back to 1 will give him a little more space, but again test his positional play.

Losing Holmes and Ramien leaves a hole tough to fill particularly when (and I don't say if) Dugan gets injured as they don't seem to have the depth, despite the addition of Johnson.
They're also the type of side that just knows how to win. Last year there was a patch where they were racking up win after win and quite often they weren't actually the better side on the day. Fifita, Graham and the much maligned Dugan and Gallen all have that ability to surge and single handedly win games.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

A lot of people have massive wraps on Xerri. According to the media the only reason he didn’t play last year is because he wasn’t old enough. He progressed from flegg to 20’s to ISP and scored a hat trick on debut for Newtown.

I think you start with him and push Dugan to the wing in place of Gray.

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Dugan to the wing..

Does that mean he'll want wingers money ?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Should get whingers money
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Very experienced squad, I think they'll scrape into the eight.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Top 4
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

John Morris named Cronulla Sharks interim coach

Cronulla CEO Barry Russell has defended the decision to install John Morris as interim Sharks head coach despite Shane Flanagan not yet responding to the NRL's breach notice against him.

"We needed the one person in that position, we needed the one voice – we needed a boss," Russell said. "But the word 'interim' is crucial in all this. Until we have some clarity in regards to Shane we can't make ultimate decisions on the head coach."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/03/joh ... la-sharks/

Club statement:

The Sharks can today announce that John Morris has been appointed as Interim Head Coach, effective immediately, with Jim Dymock to remain assistant coach.

Morris completed his Masters of Coaching in 2014, before becoming the Elite Development Coach of the Sharks Academy in 2015 and taking over as Cronulla's Holden Cup Coach in 2016.

Morris guided the Sharks NYC team to the minor premiership in 2017 in just his second season of full-time coaching. He was named the 2017 NYC Coach of the Year.

Notching up 300-games in his NRL career, with five seasons and 105 games for the Sharks, Morris will now step into the role of Interim Head Coach for the Sharks.

Cronulla Sharks CEO Barry Russell welcomed John's appointment, stating that "the Club is delighted to be able to give John the opportunity to step up into the Interim Head Coach role and has full confidence in his ability to lead our Football program into the 2019 season."
RTW
David Furner

Cronulla Sharks 2019

Post by RTW »

I have had the opportunity to chat to Morris a couple of times since his retirement and believe he has has the makings of a very good coach. The biggest question mark is if it has come to early and with all the turmoil and an aging squad are the Sharks a bit of a poisoned chalice.

I hope the Sharks fail miserably but somehow Morris comes out of it looking good!

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah it's tough for a player to transition to a coaching position while former teammates are still in the side.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Could very easily miss the 8.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

All Sharks players banned from venue in the Shire...

Cronulla Sharks investigate after squad banned from local nightspot

Cronulla is investigating an incident in a local nightspot which has reportedly seen the club’s entire NRL squad banned from the venue. Several scuffles were alleged to have broken out involving lower grade players at the Cronulla Sailing Club on a night out in December.

“I can confirm there was an incident, which is being investigated by the club,” Cronulla chief executive Barry Russell said.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cronul ... 50qxb.html
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Is there anything the club hasn't done wrong?

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cronulla Sharks’ best 17 for 2019 NRL season: Spots up for grabs after pre-season turmoil

SHARKS’ BEST 17

1. Matt Moylan
2. Sione Katoa
3. Josh Dugan
4. Josh Morris
5. Sosaia Feki
6. Shaun Johnson
7. Chad Townsend
8. Andrew Fifita
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Matt Prior
11. Wade Graham*
12. Jayson Bukuya
13. Paul Gallen

14. Kurt Capewell
15. Ava Seumanufagai
16. Aaron Woods
17. Jack Williams

*Wade Graham (ACL) won’t be available until Round 9-12.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9f6f1c4ba3
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wade Graham re-signs with Cronulla Sharks until end 2022

Cronulla have received a much-needed boost in the off-season with co-captain Wade Graham agreeing to a three-year extension that will keep him at the club until at least the end of 2022.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/15/wad ... ntil-2022/

Video: Graham re-signs until 2022: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/15/gra ... ntil-2022/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cronulla Sharks interim coach John Morris wants the top job

Sharks interim coach John Morris says he wants the job permanently if it becomes available once Shane Flanagan's fate is known.

"Look I do [want the head coach role] and I haven't really made any comments about it because I do understand it's a sensitive period around Shane and his family," Morris said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/15/sha ... e-top-job/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shane Flanagan resigns as Cronulla Sharks coach

Cronulla have announced coach Shane Flanagan has resigned from his post a month after the NRL deregistered him for breaching the conditions of his 2014 suspension.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/21/sha ... rks-coach/

‘It’s taken an enormous mental and emotional toll’: Flanagan stands down: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3eea395edc

Sharks statement

In a joint statement, the Cronulla Sharks and Shane Flanagan announce that Shane has resigned from his position as Head Coach effective immediately.

Sharks Chairman Dino Mezzatesta thanked Flanagan for his efforts and the success he brought to the Cronulla Club in seven full seasons as Sharks Head coach.

"Shane was our first premiership winning coach, he is the Coach of our Team of the Half Century and he has given exceptional service and dedication to our Club. He worked tirelessly to build our team and our Club into a competitive force and he will forever hold a special place in the Club's history," Mezzatesta said.

Arriving at the Sharks as an assistant coach in 2007, Flanagan was given the head coaching role towards the back end of the 2010 season. He would go on to coach the Sharks NRL team in 185 games, qualifying for the Finals on six occasions, with the highlight the Club's Grand Final victory of 2016.

"While disappointed his tenure at the Sharks will come to an end, Shane can look back with pride on some outstanding achievements during his time at the helm," Mezzatesta said.

Flanagan added: "This was obviously one of the toughest decisions of my 36-year rugby league career to resign from the head coaching role at Cronulla.

"The last month has taken an enormous mental and emotional toll on my family and myself.

"I intend on responding to the notice issued by the NRL, however I have made this decision in the best interests of the entire club and the players to allow the best possible preparation for the 2019 season without constant speculation and uncertainty as to who their Head Coach will be.

"I want to thank the Cronulla Board and management, both past and present, as well as my dedicated coaching staff, all of whom I have worked closely with over seven seasons.

"I especially want to extend my gratitude to the many players who I have been fortunate to coach at Cronulla. Without doubt, I will hold the entire 2016 playing squad, staff, supporters and unforgettable achievement to deliver the club it's first premiership, forever in my heart.

"I want to single out and thank the incredibly loyal Sharks supporters for their on-going support and last but certainly not least, I want to thank rugby league fans in general for their overwhelming support and messages over the years and more so over the past month."

Neither the Club or Shane Flanagan will make further public comment on this matter, with the Sharks to come to a decision and make an announcement on a Head Coach for 2019 in the coming weeks.

Cronulla Sharks media release
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

That's a technicality . He was never going to get registered again. He is a grub and I dont feel sorry for him at all.

The whole club is a stain on the competition. Hopefully this doesn't stop the NRL having the evidence to punish them for the alleged salary cap cheating
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

His resignation seems very much out of the Broncos playbook.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

He's resigned from a position he was no longer eligible for. Big move.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Probably gets more money this way. The sharks don't have to air anymore dirty laundry.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The arrogance of this announcement really goes in line with everything the Sharks have done in recent times. From having an illegal substance program, to having him run the shop via email when he was banned, to resigning from a role he had already been banned from - Wow. They really are in a world of their own down there aren't they.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cronulla Sharks intensify coach search and are expected to make a decision within two weeks

Cronulla will intensify their search for a head coach this week with the NRL club’s board and CEO Barry Russell to begin interviewing candidates. John Morris has been guiding the club through the pre-season in an interim role and heads a short list of candidates. Penrith assistant and former Sharks back-rower Cameron Ciraldo and St Helens coach Justin Holbrook have also been mentioned as contenders.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2f59a0fd28
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Wonder if Flanno has been on the phone to Morris with tips on how to coach them.
As for candidates, I’ll put my hand up. My results in Rugby League Live, FIFA 18 and Rugby 06 should put me in with a shout

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 29, 2019, 5:41 pm Wonder if Flanno has been on the phone to Morris with tips on how to coach them.
As for candidates, I’ll put my hand up. My results in Rugby League Live, FIFA 18 and Rugby 06 should put me in with a shout

He's not supposed to have any contact with anyone at the Sharks...
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

He didn't listen last time.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 29, 2019, 5:41 pm Wonder if Flanno has been on the phone to Morris with tips on how to coach them.

That was the joke

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 29, 2019, 7:03 pm
greeneyed wrote:

That was the joke
And I did get it...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 29, 2019, 7:03 pm
greeneyed wrote:

That was the joke
And I did get it...
Oh no, I Dubby’d myself!
In other news, Triple M were saying Flanno is considering legal action against the Sharks. Claims Cronulla initiated the contact while he was banned

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cronulla Sharks interview John Morris and Cameron Ciraldo for coach vacancy

Cronulla have moved another step closer to finalising their coach for 2019 after meeting with the two leading candidates for the job on Monday - interim coach John Morris and Penrith Panthers assistant Cameron Ciraldo.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/29/cro ... h-vacancy/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shane Flanagan could explore legal action against Cronulla Sharks as part of his response to NRL breach notice

Ex-Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan could resort to legal action against his former club as he mounts a response to an NRL breach notice.

The NRL alleges Flanagan broke the terms of his 2014 suspension by corresponding with the club up to 60 times, but it is reported he will claim the emails were initiated by club staff.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... cc9a113521

Sharks need to adopt Storm’s ‘us against the world’ mentality, says Matt Rogers: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f4c40016d4
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No Matt, what the Sharks need to do is start showing some integrity.