A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Grounds for concern: Could 'super stadium' be on cards for Canberra?

Post by gerg »

I dunno GEM, there isn't a South East Sydney team yet.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

A rectangular field would be ideal, but Stuart would just stuff it up.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Pigman wrote: December 13, 2018, 5:42 pm A rectangular field would be ideal, but Stuart would just stuff it up.
We dont take kindly to jokes about ricky stuart like that ‘round ‘ere.
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote: December 13, 2018, 5:58 pm
Pigman wrote: December 13, 2018, 5:42 pm A rectangular field would be ideal, but Stuart would just stuff it up.
Now skeeter, he ain't hurtin' no-one.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

The Nickman wrote: December 13, 2018, 5:59 pm
simo wrote: December 13, 2018, 5:58 pm
Now skeeter, he ain't hurtin' no-one.
If he dont like it he kern gert ert
Dont delete this GE
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

If Canberra / ACT build a multi purpose **** instead of a rectangular stadium the raiders should at the very least look to move back to seiffert and drop canberra from their name, if not somewhere else entirely.

I know its not popular, but the canberra raiders make canberra relevant from a sporting landscape. GWS does nothing for them, the brumbies have already dropped the ACT as far as I know and to be honest most australians wouldnt know who the **** the brumbies are.

The raiders have an nrl license and if the organisation want whats best for the team they should play out of a destination that wants to work with them, not one that keeps voting for an AFL loving sycophant.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

papabear wrote: December 14, 2018, 8:04 am If Canberra / ACT build a multi purpose piece of **** instead of a rectangular stadium the raiders should at the very least look to move back to seiffert and drop canberra from their name, if not somewhere else entirely.

I know its not popular, but the canberra raiders make canberra relevant from a sporting landscape. GWS does nothing for them, the brumbies have already dropped the ACT as far as I know and to be honest most australians wouldnt know who the **** the brumbies are.

The raiders have an nrl license and if the organisation want whats best for the team they should play out of a destination that wants to work with them, not one that keeps voting for an AFL loving sycophant.
The NRL admitted the Raiders on the proviso that the team be “Canberra”.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

greeneyed wrote: December 14, 2018, 8:33 am
papabear wrote: December 14, 2018, 8:04 am If Canberra / ACT build a multi purpose piece of **** instead of a rectangular stadium the raiders should at the very least look to move back to seiffert and drop canberra from their name, if not somewhere else entirely.

The NRL admitted the Raiders on the proviso that the team be “Canberra”.
Yeh sure, but that was 1982. A super stadium is an aussie rules stadium and every one else can suck it. It just boils my blood to think Barr would build such a stadium.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I don't even know if I'd still support the Raiders if they drop the Canberra prefix. I mean, I've lost so much passion for the club in the last twelve to twenty-four months, but do I really have any affiliation with Canberra itself as a town?

Ugh, I don't know. I think I'm just tired and worn down. Might be time to buy a Cowboys jersey soon :(
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The NRL wont take the license of them, regardless of what they make there name.

But honestly, if the ACT, wants to keep pumping money into an AFL club directly and now AFL facility, which is what a multi purpose facility is, then sooner or later you have to think what advantage do the raiders organisation get by being based out of canberra with canberra in their name.

The simple fact is Canberra needs the raiders more then the raiders need canberra, if the raiders leave canberra sporting scene is just union and whatever one offs the ACT can dump a bunch of money into. But there is no identity.

The city would get more identity out of the canberra cannons then GWS, honestly the fact that the ACT pay 800k a game for a western sydney side nobody in western sydney gives a **** about is laughable.

At the very least the canberra raiders should quietly discuss it, because the canberra raiders organisation should be doing everything it can to be successful even if that means dropping canberra from the name or moving to the moon.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Is there some "new" news that the ACT government wants a "multi purpose stadium" that I've missed?

The Canberra Raiders exist to promote rugby league in the Canberra region.

Moving the club from the Canberra region "to the moon" would sort of completely defeat the point.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Think of that home ground advantage though. Every other team is used to playing with the comfort of oxygen.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ricky could get some great distance tossing chairs around.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Soccer snub could affect plans for new stadium in Canberra

Canberra's A-League snub has sparked fears about the potential of building a new stadium with a roof in Civic after the ACT government said soccer was a crucial part of making the $400 million project viable. Asked how the FFA's snub would affect the stadium plans, Chief Minister Andrew Barr said: "No immediate impact. A new or upgraded stadium remains part of the ten year infrastructure plan for the city.

The government will invest in a new big screen for the 2020 NRL season. The government is also waiting to hear from Sport Australia about the possible acquisition of Canberra Stadium.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50m09.html
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: December 14, 2018, 1:54 pm Ricky could get some great distance tossing chairs around.

I wish you wouldn't keep bringing up Ricky Stuart, gerg. He might be an incompetent coach, stubborn, presiding over the worst five year period of the last three decades and completely refuses to take any ownership of the mess he's created, but it's getting tired and we're all sick of it.

Plus he changed my nappys as a kid, so I'll support him blindly no matter how incompetent he is at his current job.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think the snub of Canberra for an A League team is very disappointing. The only way we will ever get a new stadium will be if it is used throughout the year.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Looks like Canberra will be included for the A-League in season 20/21 provided they meet some requirements :o
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Schifty wrote:Looks like Canberra will be included for the A-League in season 20/21 provided they meet some requirements :o
Which are?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

See below:

Canberra has 'clear path' to join A-League in 2020

Canberra sports fans are crying out for an indoor Civic Stadium and an A-League team would justify the $400 million project.

Canberra want to win a licence in their own right but something undeniably working in their favour is the looming demise of the Wellington Phoenix.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50np1.html
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I don't think there's any money for a new stadium. Too focused on a multi level ice skating rink. The 500 people that attend ice hockey games are screaming out for a new facility.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Billy Walker wrote: July 19, 2018, 4:49 pm I'm hearing all the players are very keen for a new stadium.... except of course for Oldfield... :doubt:
:lol: pay that.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well this is good news for the Raiders and Brumbies. A third major sporting team with a preference for a rectangular stadium makes it hard to justify building a multi purpose venue to satisfy a sport that plays three games here a year.

Plonk it in Civic and throw a roof on it - with some clever features it could potentially get a lot of use from non sporting events.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The problem is... it seems that the site in Civic is not suitable (big enough) for a Stadium... unless they build on top of Parkes Way. Hopefully the Western Sydney Stadium model can overcome that problem.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They should just demolish Bruce

Play out of Manuka for a season and build a 30k indoor stadium on the old site.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: December 22, 2018, 8:00 pm They should just demolish Bruce

Play out of Manuka for a season and build a 30k indoor stadium on the old site.
They don't actually need to, as there's so much room at Bruce, they can build a new one and then demolish the old stadium. That was the plan when the soccer World Cup was being considered.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I love this concept. Saitama Super Arena. Very cool. Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 22, 2018, 8:16 pm I love this concept. Saitama Super Arena. Very cool. Image
But it costs a bomb.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 22, 2018, 8:16 pm I love this concept. Saitama Super Arena. Very cool. Image
But it costs a bomb.
Maybe. It cost about A$250mil back in 2000 to build. Construction costs are undoubtedly more, but the technology should be cheaper. They estimate a new civic stadium will cost $400. Pipe dream anyway I know. No Australian government would have the vision to build something that cool.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

These multi purpose stadiums generally satisfy no one. We need a stadium purpose built for the Raiders... plus the other minor sports that play on a rectangular field.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 22, 2018, 8:24 pm
greeneyed wrote:
But it costs a bomb.
Maybe. It cost about A$250mil back in 2000 to build. Construction costs are undoubtedly more, but the technology should be cheaper. They estimate a new civic stadium will cost $400. Pipe dream anyway I know. No Australian government would have the vision to build something that cool.
$400?

Is this being built out of paddlepop sticks and recycled newspaper?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Schifty wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: December 22, 2018, 8:24 pm
greeneyed wrote:
But it costs a bomb.
$400?

Is this being built out of paddlepop sticks and recycled newspaper?
We're talking about the ACT Government here, so that is quite possible.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Dr Zaius wrote:I love this concept. Saitama Super Arena. Very cool. Image
Yep this old chestnut. Let’s put in a $1.5 billion dollar Australian stadium build that isn’t big enough to fit a Rugby league field.

Maybe if people don’t want realism we can move the Raiders games into AIS arena if we want an indoor stadium.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm not sure what you're talking about BJ, that stadium has hosted soccer and gridiron. It seats 35,000 and cost nothing like $1.5 billion to build. Like I said, pie in the sky, no Australian Government would ever build anything like it. Its pretty cool though.
BJ
Steve Walters

Grounds for concern: Could 'super stadium' be on cards for Canberra?

Post by BJ »

Dr Zaius wrote:I'm not sure what you're talking about BJ, that stadium has hosted soccer and gridiron. It seats 35,000 and cost nothing like $1.5 billion to build. Like I said, pie in the sky, no Australian Government would ever build anything like it. Its pretty cool though.
Check out the ground dimensions of the stadium and those required for rugby league.

Also question why all these other cities around the world are not copying this stadium if it can easily and cheaply be an indoor stadium that caters for both football and basketball etc.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

According to this website, the field size in stadium mode is 14600m2.
https://goo.gl/images/uZRb2w

According to this site, a rugby field is 8400m2, and a pitch is typically 10080m2. So plenty of room.

But I'm not saying that they should build that exact arena, nor in my wildest dreams think that they would. I'm saying that if they look around the world and get creative, they could build something that can be used for more than just a stadium particularly if it has a roof. There is potential as a conference and exhibition facility etc.