All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Hodgson announced as co-captain

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: December 20, 2018, 5:38 pm Not this old chestnut!
Croker to halfback!
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I suspect Croker is captain six days out of seven - media duties, setting standards off the pitch, etc. - and Hodgson will take over on match days.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

MrPosh wrote: December 20, 2018, 6:05 pm I suspect Croker is captain six days out of seven - media duties, setting standards off the pitch, etc. - and Hodgson will take over on match days.
I wouldn't be unhappy if this is the case
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

LastRaider wrote: December 20, 2018, 5:32 pm I wouldn’t be surprised now if we see Croker on the wing

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I think this should happen.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Wiki Special wrote:
LastRaider wrote: December 20, 2018, 5:32 pm I wouldn’t be surprised now if we see Croker on the wing

100%. His strength is kick chase and kicking goals. He isn’t a line breaker anymore. John Bateman and Cotric would provide more strike for us now

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Hodgson should be captain
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

They should name all 18 squad members as cocaptain. Then they can all sook at the ref legitimately.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wiki Special wrote:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: December 20, 2018, 6:34 pm Hodgson should be captain
And now he is, co-captain.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

The Nickman wrote:
Brew wrote: December 20, 2018, 4:30 pm Good decision. Good to have someone in the middle of the field in the refs ear than Jarrod running in from centre only to be ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yeah good point. Made a huge difference in the second half of the year this year when Croker was out... oh wait.
You’re in the darkest spot you have ever been as a Raiders supporter so I wouldn’t expect you to see anything positive in anything at the moment.

You are right, you’re pretty much on your own on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: December 20, 2018, 6:58 pm
As usual, it went way over your head
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: December 20, 2018, 7:09 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 20, 2018, 6:58 pm
As usual, it went way over your head
:cry: :cry: :lol:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Its nice to know that the 2 blokes with the C are now our best on field general AND our best off field ambassador.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: December 20, 2018, 8:27 pm Its nice to know that the 2 blokes with the C are now our best on field general AND our best off field ambassador.
Best not to use that word... ambassador.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: December 20, 2018, 8:28 pm
Matt wrote: December 20, 2018, 8:27 pm Its nice to know that the 2 blokes with the C are now our best on field general AND our best off field ambassador.
:?
What have i missed?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote: December 20, 2018, 5:43 pm Does anyone else think Josh McCrone would make a good hooker??
Its good to know you can laugh at yourself :lol: :P
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The Nickman wrote: December 20, 2018, 4:10 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 20, 2018, 4:04 pm I don't really think it's going to change much on field myself either. Players don't need (c) beside their name to show leadership. But I don't have a problem with co-captains either. I'd have had a real problem if Hodgo had replaced Croker as captain, because Croker has been a fine club captain.
I don't think it changes anything at all, and it lessens Croker's captaincy. And like you, I think he's been a fine captain.

If I were to choose a captain tomorrow from scratch, it would be Hodgson, but Croker is the captain and has done a great job as captain, and did not deserve his captaincy to be lessened.

Here's a few stats for you:

- Croker has a winning record of 53.7% as captain, which is better than our coach
- Hodgson won 2 games and lost 7 as captain last year, so any so-called advantage people seem to have in their heads appears to be non-existent

And don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging Hodgson, in fact I **** LOVE the guy, I just don't think this decision will have the impact on our team that people seem to believe it will. While we continue to be an ill-disciplined, mentally poor, awfully structured team across the park, it doesn't matter a lick of **** who has the (c) next to their name.
I agree, this does lessen Croker’s captaincy a touch but allowing him to own it from the start like they did today with the announcement negates that a lot. And the benefit for Hodgson when interacting with the refs and team, and for us overall outweighs that.

It also greatly bolsters Hodgson if Croker goes down with an injury again - which is a fair chance. Not to mention how much pressure it’ll take off Croker and the club if Croker were to come back a yard slower and no longer be a certain starter (consider the criticism he’s copped during his peak) - which is also a fair chance.

Hodgson is also far better with the media. He said more in his seven press conferences - most of which were losses, as you pointed out - than Toots has ever.

But the main thing for me is, as you said Nickman, from scratch Hodgson is the best choice. Easily. I’d argue he’s the most natural captain we’ve had since Daley. And he’s got years to go, barring injury. We shouldn’t not give him the job out of some misplaced loyalty to the guy who got the job when the other main contender was Shaun Fensom who, as much as I love him, was rightly let go during what should be an NRL player’s peak years.

The club showed loyalty by retaining Croker and giving him lead on the story. They’ve struck the perfect balance. This won’t fix those issues you noted but it’s a great move.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: December 20, 2018, 8:29 pm
What have i missed?
Robbie Farah?
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Ruben Daley wrote: December 20, 2018, 8:35 pm We shouldn’t not give him the job out of some misplaced loyalty to the guy who got the job when the other main contender was Shaun Fensom who, as much as I love him, was rightly let go during what should be an NRL player’s peak years.
Only other contender. At least, at the time, they got it right.
MrMilk
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by MrMilk »

I love Croker, I looooove Hodgo, they're both good choices as co-captains (in their own ways) but really our defence and our halves are going to have a far bigger influence on our fortunes in 2019
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I for one am over the moon

This move will ensure the following things

1) we’ll now start winning close games regularly, obviously our inability to close out games with a lead was down to on field captaincy and with this promotion, we’ll see an end to that, just as we did last year without Croker

b) again as we saw last year without croker I think this move will shore up our influence over the referees. No more 50/50 calls going against us now! That’ll be massive for our on field results

iii) this is obviously just step one in completely removing Croker from the club. First they come for his captaincy, then his centre spot and before long he’ll be out. And not a moment too soon, can’t pass, won’t tackle, **** captain

*) and finally, probably most importantly everyone can finally just shut the **** **** up about this completely and totally irrelevant issue, and then they can shut the **** up again... except me of course, I’ll be never shutting the **** up about any of this and rubbing every idiots nose in it when this solves absolutely none of the “issues” raised by Red Raider and co ...

VERY excited for 2019!
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it's a little bit of assurance that our best player isn't going anywhere soon, and it makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, I feel for Croker a little bit, and I've always had an irrational dislike for multiple captains in a team.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pigman wrote: December 21, 2018, 6:03 am I for one am over the moon

1) we’ll now start winning close games regularly, obviously our inability to close out games with a lead was down to on field captaincy and with this promotion, we’ll see an end to that, just as we did last year without Croker

b) again as we saw last year without croker I think this move will shore up our influence over the referees. No more 50/50 calls going against us now! That’ll be massive for our on field results

iii) this is obviously just step one in completely removing Croker from the club. First they come for his captaincy, then his centre spot and before long he’ll be out. And not a moment too soon, can’t pass, won’t tackle, **** captain

*) and finally, probably most importantly everyone can finally just shut the **** **** up about this completely and totally irrelevant issue, and then they can shut the **** up again... except me of course, I’ll be never shutting the **** up about any of this and rubbing every idiots nose in it when this solves absolutely none of the “issues” raised by Red Raider and co ...

VERY excited for 2019!
:lol: quality early morning rant from Pigman.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

Such a non-issue. The worst that can happen is Hodgson revels in the extra responsibility and we get more out of him. I think the 2019 Re-re-re-review will show this to be green on Ricky's traffic light analysis system of things that made us do better football.

And it is also a smart move from Sticky because when we're getting hammered by the officials Hodgson can get in there and have a moan and everyone will blame it on his heritage rather than a just another whinging Raider.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: December 21, 2018, 7:53 am

VERY excited for 2019!
:lol: quality early morning rant from Pigman.
He's spot on too.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Woodgers wrote:Such a non-issue. The worst that can happen is Hodgson revels in the extra responsibility and we get more out of him. I think the 2019 Re-re-re-review will show this to be green on Ricky's traffic light analysis system of things that made us do better football.

And it is also a smart move from Sticky because when we're getting hammered by the officials Hodgson can get in there and have a moan and everyone will blame it on his heritage rather than a just another whinging Raider.
IMO Hodgo's own form wasn't great while he was captain. Almost like it was a distraction for him.

Hopefully being given the role now in a shared capacity he'll be better prepared to balance his responsibilities.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hodgson will be captain and Croker will stand next to him providing translation services to the referees.

Maybe this is a bit of backup for Croker's knee. I hope it is ok.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: December 21, 2018, 7:53 am

VERY excited for 2019!
Image quality early morning rant from Pigman.
He's spot on too.
True but don't encourage him

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Lui_Bon wrote: December 20, 2018, 9:53 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: December 20, 2018, 8:35 pm We shouldn’t not give him the job out of some misplaced loyalty to the guy who got the job when the other main contender was Shaun Fensom who, as much as I love him, was rightly let go during what should be an NRL player’s peak years.
Only other contender. At least, at the time, they got it right.
I think when Croker was given the captaincy full time, it was the same time Sia and Josh Hodgson had just joined the squad so they were the other contenders. I think Croker's time with the Raiders, and captaincy incumbency taking it on during Campo's injuries helped him get the gig full time.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

VERY excited for 2019!
I imagine Ricky's half time speeches have a similar vibe to them as this :lol:

pages dedicated to the announcement of a co-captaincy... It's the off season
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: December 20, 2018, 8:40 pm
Matt wrote: December 20, 2018, 8:29 pm
What have i missed?
Robbie Farah?
:roflmao
Ah yes... good old Wobbie
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

The Nickman wrote: December 20, 2018, 5:43 pm Does anyone else think Josh McCrone would make a good hooker??
Probably not, but he'd go ok in Les Girls
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

VERY excited for 2019!
:roflmao
Dont change Piggy
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Merry **** Christmas, *****
Don't say i didnt give you anything.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker: 'Hodgo' could captain England one day

Jarrod Croker has spoken of his delight of the decision to appoint Josh Hodgson alongside him as Captain in 2019.

"He's arguably one of the best players in the NRL and he's more then likely to captain England one day so it was an easy decision to have him there with me."

Read more and video: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... d-one-day/

Video: Hodgson: It's a massive honour: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... ve-honour/