Hodgson announced as co-captain

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Hodgson announced as co-captain

Post by -TW- »

Canberra Raiders to have two captains in 2019

The Canberra Raiders will have two Captains in 2019, with Jarrod Croker breaking the news to members and fans via Social Media this afternoon.

In 2019 he will have Josh Hodgson join him, with the Raiders now having two Captains.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... s-in-2019/

Jarrod Croker on Instagram:

I just wanted to take the opportunity to let all of our members and fans know about an important decision we’ve made today for the team and our club.

Ricky and I have been discussing for a while a way we can strengthen the leadership in the team and we’ve decided to have Josh Hodgson join me as Captain of the club.

Having two Captains gives us the chance to take the team to the next level and we know Josh is an experienced and passionate club man who will give his all to the role.

For me it’s the opportunity to grow as a leader and I could not have anyone better suited to stand beside me than Hodgo.

I can’t wait to get the season started and I know the squad has been working during the first part of the pre-season.

All the best for Christmas, and I look forward to seeing you all in the New Year.
#weareraiders

https://www.facebook.com/44722778922/po ... 613288923/

Good move
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: Hodgson announced as co captain

Post by BJ »

Yep great move.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Very good move
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Very good move

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Hodgson announced as co-captain

Post by greeneyed »

I'm happy that Jarrod was the person who announced it. And happy with co-captains.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

greeneyed wrote: December 20, 2018, 2:27 pm I'm happy that Jarrod was the person who announced it. And happy with co-captains.
Classy
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Having Josh Hodgson and Jarrod Croker as joint Raiders captains is the right move

The Canberra Raiders have had some superb captains; Dean Lance, Mal Meninga, Ricky Stuart, Alan Tongue and Jarrod Croker. You can now add Josh Hodgson to that list. That the Raiders English hooker has been appointed joint skipper of the Canberra Raiders alongside Jarrod Croker is a great move for the club for a number of reasons.

Hodgson is an outstanding spokesman for the club. He handles himself brilliantly and commands respect from the media. However, while being great off the field is a crucial attribute for an NRL captain, the biggest value Hodgson provides is his skill as an on-field leader.

Read more: https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/12/20/h ... ight-move/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

So who represents the club at the season launch ?

I can see a Rock Paper Scissors eliminator here !!!

I like this co-captain thing btw...
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Smart move

It means Raiders can have both co-captains at the coin toss.. one to call heads and the other to call tails
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

The review of the review that keeps on giving.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders make captain's call to strengthen on field leadership

The Canberra Raiders will use a co-captaincy model next year, Jarrod Croker revealing Josh Hodgson will join him in a leadership position to help the club chase a finals return.

"Having two captains gives us the chance to take the team to the next level and we know Josh is an experienced and passionate club man who will give his all to the role," Croker said.

"For me it’s the opportunity to grow as a leader and I could not have anyone better suited to stand beside me than Hodgo.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50nhk.html

Josh Hodgson will join Jarrod Croker as Canberra captain in 2019: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 701b7cecf3

Raiders appoint Hodgson as NRL co-captain: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raiders-ap ... 6d91f748aa
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

That’s the best thing to happen to us for a while. Really good to see some progress here.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Two captains doesnt make much sense to me but hopefully who does what is clear and it works.
Leeroy Jenkins
Brett Mullins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

edwahu wrote: December 20, 2018, 3:03 pm Two captains doesnt make much sense to me but hopefully who does what is clear and it works.
Just a theory but I'd say they club have figured Hodgson is the better captain, but you couldn't possibly drop Croker... hence "dual" captains

We need a captain close to the ruck to get in the refs ear, this is a good move.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote: December 20, 2018, 3:06 pm
edwahu wrote: December 20, 2018, 3:03 pm Two captains doesnt make much sense to me but hopefully who does what is clear and it works.
Just a theory but I'd say they club have figured Hodgson is the better captain, but you couldn't possibly drop Croker... hence "dual" captains

We need a captain close to the ruck to get in the refs ear, this is a good move.
Yep, it does seem like face saving to me.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I must be the only person that thinks this move sucks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

It means they can now share media duties and both get ignored by the refs when they complain about dodgy calls. Other than that it won't have any real impact.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

This part of the Roar article that is expanded on is a big part of it for mine

The reality is that, for the captain to have the best chance of having meaningful input to the referees, they need to be in the centre of the park and on the field for the majority of the game.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't really think it's going to change much on field myself either. Players don't need (c) beside their name to show leadership. But I don't have a problem with co-captains either. I'd have had a real problem if Hodgo had replaced Croker as captain, because Croker has been a fine club captain.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Nickman wrote: December 20, 2018, 3:14 pm I must be the only person that thinks this move sucks.
because the responsibility is split between 2 people or because you don't believe one of them in particular should be captain or another reason?

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: December 20, 2018, 4:04 pm I don't really think it's going to change much on field myself either. Players don't need (c) beside their name to show leadership. But I don't have a problem with co-captains either. I'd have had a real problem if Hodgo had replaced Croker as captain, because Croker has been a fine club captain.
I don't think it changes anything at all, and it lessens Croker's captaincy. And like you, I think he's been a fine captain.

If I were to choose a captain tomorrow from scratch, it would be Hodgson, but Croker is the captain and has done a great job as captain, and did not deserve his captaincy to be lessened.

Here's a few stats for you:

- Croker has a winning record of 53.7% as captain, which is better than our coach
- Hodgson won 2 games and lost 7 as captain last year, so any so-called advantage people seem to have in their heads appears to be non-existent

And don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging Hodgson, in fact I **** LOVE the guy, I just don't think this decision will have the impact on our team that people seem to believe it will. While we continue to be an ill-disciplined, mentally poor, awfully structured team across the park, it doesn't matter a lick of **** who has the (c) next to their name.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: December 20, 2018, 4:10 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 20, 2018, 4:04 pm I don't really think it's going to change much on field myself either. Players don't need (c) beside their name to show leadership. But I don't have a problem with co-captains either. I'd have had a real problem if Hodgo had replaced Croker as captain, because Croker has been a fine club captain.
I don't think it changes anything at all, and it lessens Croker's captaincy. And like you, I think he's been a fine captain.

If I were to choose a captain tomorrow from scratch, it would be Hodgson, but Croker is the captain and has done a great job as captain, and did not deserve his captaincy to be lessened.

Here's a few stats for you:

- Croker has a winning record of 53.7% as captain, which is better than our coach
- Hodgson won 2 games and lost 7 as captain last year, so any so-called advantage people seem to have in their heads appears to be non-existent

And don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging Hodgson, in fact I **** LOVE the guy, I just don't think this decision will have the impact on our team that people seem to believe it will. While we continue to be an ill-disciplined, mentally poor, awfully structured team across the park, it doesn't matter a lick of **** who has the (c) next to their name.
This part is unfortunately true. :(
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Good decision. Good to have someone in the middle of the field in the refs ear than Jarrod running in from centre only to be ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Good call. He'll do a good job.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote: December 20, 2018, 4:30 pm Good decision. Good to have someone in the middle of the field in the refs ear than Jarrod running in from centre only to be ignored.

Yeah good point. Made a huge difference in the second half of the year this year when Croker was out... oh wait.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders Contracted Players - Updated 20 December 2018

Post by RedRaider »

A positive move imo.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Disappointing really. I'd love to see 13 captains, all giving it to the ref.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

gergreg wrote: December 20, 2018, 4:55 pm Disappointing really. I'd love to see 13 captains, all giving it to the ref.

Is there a limit to how many co-captains a side can have?

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sid wrote:
gergreg wrote: December 20, 2018, 4:55 pm Disappointing really. I'd love to see 13 captains, all giving it to the ref.

Is there a limit to how many co-captains a side can have?
I think Souths had about 6 a few years ago.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

I'm going to put it out there, but it seemed as though the refs were irritated by his accent and were in some cases dismissive of him. Then again, some teams did complain about the overall attitude they were copping from referees. So, this could be my Raider bias where any decision against us is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Good luck to both them, even so.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I wouldn’t be surprised now if we see Croker on the wing

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Not this old chestnut!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Does anyone else think Josh McCrone would make a good hooker??
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Typical, another job for the boys!

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021