6%
Bulldogs 13+
13%

Total votes: 16

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: 2019 Trial 2 V Bulldogs: Teams and Game Day

Post by RedRaider »

Happy with 2 trial matches but why is the second game 3 weeks prior to the start of our season. From memory last year the other NRL teams had the second trial 2 weeks from the start of their season. I'll be interested to see what other teams are doing in 2019. I would have thought the match fitness benefits would have been better closer to our season start. It will also be interesting to see who is named and plays in the trial matches. Sticky has been opposed to 2 trial matches in the past and this gives the appearance of lip service. Time will tell.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: November 10, 2018, 12:12 am Happy with 2 trial matches but why is the second game 3 weeks prior to the start of our season. From memory last year the other NRL teams had the second trial 2 weeks from the start of their season. I'll be interested to see what other teams are doing in 2019. I would have thought the match fitness benefits would have been better closer to our season start. It will also be interesting to see who is named and plays in the trial matches. Sticky has been opposed to 2 trial matches in the past and this gives the appearance of lip service. Time will tell.
The full list: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33101

Every other team plays Saturday 2 March except us and the Bulldogs... we’ve scheduled Mounties V ISP Bulldogs that day.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thanks for the info GE. So 14 clubs have their trial matches at a more logical time except for Sticky and his mate. Of all the tools a coach has, we have a coaching tool.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Did Mounties have their own trial in previous years?

If not this is essentially jumping from one to 3 trials as we don’t need to get the fringe players as much time in the NRL trials.

Like others I would like to see the timing different. If the Mounties and the second NRL trial swapped weeks it would be ideal.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seemed like Mounties got half of the first grade trial last year. If there was no full Mounties trial then it’d be like first grade going from 0.5 trials to 2 and Mounties going 0.5 to 1.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RTW wrote: November 11, 2018, 10:00 am Did Mounties have their own trial in previous years?

If not this is essentially jumping from one to 3 trials as we don’t need to get the fringe players as much time in the NRL trials.

Like others I would like to see the timing different. If the Mounties and the second NRL trial swapped weeks it would be ideal.
Normally at least two. But I suspect that fringe Raiders contracted players will get a run in the listed trial two weeks out from the start of the season. And any other Mounties trial will only include the Mounties contracted players.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The Dogs are also playing a trial against the Wests Tigers at Belmore on 23 February so I imagine they are sending their ISP team to Bega.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I could have understood an early final trial match if we met the Dogs in Round 1. Nope, we don't play them until Round 12. This is Sticky going through the motions for something he really doesn't believe in. Once more emotion/ego to the fore.

All the coaching turmoil had the Raiders watching from the sidelines. Yes we have a coach under contract, but so did other Clubs who knew it was in their best interest to make the change. We have inertia.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bay53 wrote: November 12, 2018, 7:04 am The Dogs are also playing a trial against the Wests Tigers at Belmore on 23 February so I imagine they are sending their ISP team to Bega.
The latest list on NRL.com is now missing the Bega trial V Bulldogs... strange. Despite the story saying we have “three” trials.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/09/tri ... re-season/

Can only assume the Raiders are looking for another opponent for Bega now? There’s only 10 NRL clubs listed for a trial that weekend. Dragons, Rabbitohs, Knights, Cowboys and Titans the exceptions... and given the Dragons and Rabbitohs play the Charity Shield in Mudgee the following weekend, can’t see them wanting to go to Bega. Maybe the Dragons.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Trials list updated... https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/09/tri ... re-season/

Bulldogs have two trials scheduled for Saturday 23 February, one against the Raiders, one against the Wests Tigers, the latter at Belmore. The Raiders clash is now at a venue TBC rather than Bega. Clearly the Bulldogs will have to field an ISP/Under 20s outfit against one of the clubs. I suspect it'll be the Raiders, as the Mounties trial against the Bulldogs ISP team has now vanished from the list... The Raiders match is listed for a 6pm kick off and the Tigers match is listed for a 6:30pm kick off.

I'm left wondering if we're not actually having two first grade trials, rather one NRL trial, one NSW Premiership/Under 20s trial. And if that's the case, we won't have learned the lesson of the past two seasons.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

gangrenous wrote: November 11, 2018, 10:38 am Seemed like Mounties got half of the first grade trial last year. If there was no full Mounties trial then it’d be like first grade going from 0.5 trials to 2 and Mounties going 0.5 to 1.
A step in the right direction at least. I'm already looking forward to the trials :). Such a tragic.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Most clubs do 1 FG trial and 1 extended squad trial with maybe a couple of top 17 players.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We've been doing one 40 minute trial.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

How hard can it be to organize two trial matches? I will wait for the final trial match schedule but at this point it looks like we will be going in under done in comparison to all other NRL clubs yet again.

Does the coach not want to be competitive from Round 1?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

RedRaider wrote:Thanks for the info GE. So 14 clubs have their trial matches at a more logical time except for Sticky and his mate. Of all the tools a coach has, we have a coaching tool.
Red, for a smart guy that's a simplistic view.

It's not always that always that easy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What’s the tricky part here dubby? We’re not performing rocket surgery...
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Gangers, do you prefer chicken or cheese twisties?

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Chicken
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

dubby wrote: November 17, 2018, 3:53 pm
RedRaider wrote:Thanks for the info GE. So 14 clubs have their trial matches at a more logical time except for Sticky and his mate. Of all the tools a coach has, we have a coaching tool.

Dubs in the 2018 trials 15 out of 16 Clubs managed it. We alone suffered the ignominy of being run down during the first 3 rounds of the 2018 competition after setting up good leads. We simply didn't have 80 minutes of NRL footy in us. We can't start behind other clubs in terms of fitness. It is too telling on the scoreboard and in terms of a lack of competition points. Once again most clubs will have a match 2 weeks before the start of season 2019. If the Coach/CEO were serious about trials they simply contact a Club not already tied up and make it happen.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

RedRaider wrote: November 18, 2018, 9:56 am
dubby wrote: November 17, 2018, 3:53 pm

Dubs in the 2018 trials 15 out of 16 Clubs managed it. We alone suffered the ignominy of being run down during the first 3 rounds of the 2018 competition after setting up good leads. We simply didn't have 80 minutes of NRL footy in us. We can't start behind other clubs in terms of fitness. It is too telling on the scoreboard and in terms of a lack of competition points. Once again most clubs will have a match 2 weeks before the start of season 2019. If the Coach/CEO were serious about trials they simply contact a Club not already tied up and make it happen.
Doesn't have to be an NRL club.

It's been maybe 12 years since the Raiders last had a trial that didn't feature any NRL club. Played at Seiffertt Oval against Woy Woy and some other NSW Cup club whose name escapes me for the moment. Each opponent got 40 minutes against the Raiders. I think we snuck into the top 8 based on games won despite a **** points differential. (As opposed to what fans are usually left hoping for towards the end of a season – a better PD than the other sides on equal number of competion points.

William Zillman scored 10 tries in total and looked like a star in the making, despite the quality of the opposition.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Dogs seem to believe it's on:

Bulldogs finalise pre season trials

The Canterbury- Bankstown Bulldogs will face the Canberra Raiders in their only NRL trial match ahead of the 2019 season.

Following the revamped All Stars match on February 15, the Bulldogs will head to Bega on Saturday, February 23 to tackle the Raiders at Bega Recreation Ground, kicking off at 5.30pm.

NRL:
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Canberra Raiders – Saturday February 23, Bega Recreation Ground @5.30pm

ISP:
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Mounties – Saturday March 2, Aubrey Keech Reserve @5.15pm

JERSEY FLEGG:
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Canberra Raiders – Saturday March 2, Aubrey Keech Reserve @2pm

Read more: https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/1 ... on-trials/

The Belmore game is an ISP trial
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

By the way, Mounties have now announced that their ISP trial against the Bulldogs on 2 March will be at Cabramatta Sports Ground:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33099&p=1630352#p1630352

Not sure what that means for the Raiders Jersey Flegg match, as that's not mentioned on the program. The ISP trial is sandwiched between Mounties trials for their Women's Premiership team and Ron Massey Cup.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Official from the Raiders...

Tickets on sale for Canberra Raiders trial match against Canterbury Bulldogs at Bega

The Canberra Raiders have confirmed today they will play the Canterbury Bulldogs in a trial match in Bega on February 23, 2019. Kick off is at 5:00pm, with gates opening at 12:30pm, Andrew Johns Cup at 1:25pm and Laurie Daley Cup at 2:40pm.

Tickets are just $15 for the match and are available for purchase through the Raiders Shop online: https://www.raidersshop.com.au/2019-tri ... 2309.phtml

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2018/12 ... ial-match/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Delivery ($12) costs almost as much as a ticket!
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

roneel78 wrote: November 9, 2018, 6:51 pm 2 trials......ohhhh boy Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Imagine the melt down if Hodgo, Whitehead, Tapine and Paps got injured in the second one
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

greeneyed wrote: December 20, 2018, 11:49 am Delivery ($12) costs almost as much as a ticket!
You expect Wells Fargo not to feed their horses GE ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders hoping Bega pre-season trial more than a one-off

Canberra Raiders chief executive Don Furner says Bega could become part of a rotation of country NSW venues to play pre-season trials at in the coming years.

"We definitely take time to go to the country regions, we always have, and we have to give the other teams a choice too," he said. "The team will come down I think on the Tuesday. [Bega mayor Kristy McBain] is really happy it's not just fly-in, fly-out, but there'll be coaching clinics and school visits and we'll be down here for the four days beforehand."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/ ... 50nf4.html
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Johno wrote: December 20, 2018, 1:02 pm
roneel78 wrote: November 9, 2018, 6:51 pm 2 trials......ohhhh boy Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Imagine the melt down if Hodgo, Whitehead, Tapine and Paps got injured in the second one
If it's anything like the meltdown of them not playing enough trials... oh boy!
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Just read the article and, while I like Goulburn, the ground itself needs a safety upgrade.

I was there a few years ago when the trial against the Bulldogs was played in atrocious conditions.

At one point, Blake Ferguson chased a kick into the Doggies' in-goal and scored, but kept on sliding on the grass and into the fence that was only a few metres away. If he'd hit it wrong, forget about missing a few games. He might have had to be carted off in a neck braise.

I don't know whether all-weather padding along the fence is the way to go, but it needs something before we risk a game there again.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders Bega trial game tickets selling quickly

There are 7,000 tickets allocated for the Raiders Bega trial against the Bulldogs with 3000 on sale via the Raiders website, while the majority will be sold on the Far South Coast to provide locals priority access.

“The tickets are selling incredibly well, there are outlets in basically every town that is involved with Group 16 so we have a fantastic cross-section of places available to get your tickets,” Group 16 Chair Allan Wilton said. “It’s fantastic to see the Raiders back in the area supporting us. We’re producing some excellent talent down here and it’s helping provide a direct pathway and opportunity for locals to advance through the Raiders. ”

Open training runs will be held at the Bega Recreation Ground and the Tathra Beach Country Club, providing an opportunity for everyone to meet some of the players.

Read more: https://www.naroomanewsonline.com.au/st ... y/?cs=1615
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

if it's a fair dinkum trial I might go to st Mary's

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker set for return from injury in trials

Canberra Raiders co-captain Jarrod Croker has confirmed he will make his return to the field in the side's pre-season trial against the Canterbury Bulldogs on February 23.

"I think confidence-wise I feel good, I don't know how I'll go coming into a game but at the moment I feel good," Croker said. "I'll play in the trial game in a couple of weeks and go onto round one. I’ll get involved and get as much contact as I can to make sure it's all good for round one."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/08/jar ... in-trials/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I suspect it'll be fringe players for Trial 1, meaning, we'll actually only have one real trial.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Look out Dogs, we just beat Parra !!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What team do people want to see for this trial?