The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: The Film Thread

Post by BJ »

-PJ- wrote:I watched Karate Kid the other night.

Daniel son !!!

Wax on Wax off..paint defence..side to side.
The best part of Karate Kid is the warning at the start of the fight that says “you can’t hit above the shoulders”. Only for the star of the show to win the day with a flying kick to the head.

Sort of reminds me of Billy Slater being allowed to shoulder charge and get away with it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched Roma on Netflix.

Extraordinary film, the black and white cinematography just perfect. Touching film.

Getting a virtual concurrent cinema release here, had a three week cinema release in North America so as to qualify it for the Academy Awards, before hitting Netflix.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

BJ wrote:

Daniel son !!!

The best part of Karate Kid is the warning at the start of the fight that says “you can’t hit above the shoulders”. Only for the star of the show to win the day with a flying kick to the head.

Sort of reminds me of Billy Slater being allowed to shoulder charge and get away with it.
Billy modelled his defensive jumps for bombs on the Karate Kid
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Dr Zaius wrote:
BJ wrote:

Daniel son !!!

Billy modelled his defensive jumps for bombs on the Karate Kid
Hence his nickname Billy the Karate Kid
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BJ wrote:

Daniel son !!!

I was listening to a Chris Hardwick Podcast. Apparently there’s a new show out Cobra Kai, which is Danny and Johnny grown up and dealing with life after The Karate Kid. He was saying it’s good, and not like your typical reboot
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watching the ads for Aquaman, Boxing Day release. I'm so over comic book movies.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Careful. I made that comment before, and Hrundi went zuzz at me!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just watched Warrior on Fox. Man that movie hits me in the feels. I think Joel Edgerton is one of the most underrated actors going around

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
BJ wrote:

Daniel son !!!

I was listening to a Chris Hardwick Podcast. Apparently there’s a new show out Cobra Kai, which is Danny and Johnny grown up and dealing with life after The Karate Kid. He was saying it’s good, and not like your typical reboot
Cobra Kai is excellent, definitely worth a watch. Its on You Tube Premium though.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched "Game Night". It was actually not too bad. Some nice twists.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched "Stronger". I'd never heard of it, and it bombed at the box office. But it is a very good film. Made me cry to boot. Now on Fox Movies and Stan.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stronger_2017

Jake Gyllrnhaal almost not recognisable. Maybe he's just getting old.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched the next remake of A Star is Born. I don't know why they keep remaking it, when there was an almost perfect version in 1954. Lady Gaga should not be coming anywhere near any acting award. Bradley Cooper was by far the better of the two performances. I wish I'd waited to see it for (close to) free!
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote:Just watched the next remake of A Star is Born. I don't know why they keep remaking it, when there was an almost perfect version in 1954. Lady Gaga should not be coming anywhere near any acting award. Bradley Cooper was by far the better of the two performances. I wish I'd waited to see it for (close to) free!
I thought the 1st half of the movie was good , 2nd half was trash.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Just finished watching Get Out.. pretty disappointed as it was basically a copy of The Skeleton Key.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watched The Black Panther. Can't say it deserved an Academy Award nomination for best film.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:Just watched The Black Panther. Can't say it deserved an Academy Award nomination for best film.
It’s one of the better Marvel movies, but I agree, it’s not best film worthy

Nickman's love of NSW
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Just watched The Black Panther. Can't say it deserved an Academy Award nomination for best film.
It’s one of the better Marvel movies, but I agree, it’s not best film worthy
I haven't seen the last few Marvels, including Avengers. Waiting for Netflix to show them but I think Marvel signed a deal with Stan so I might be holding out a while.

I caught the hateful 8 on SBS demand. Not bad but not quite up there with Pulp fiction Inglorious basterds or Kill Bill 1.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They're on Stan and Fox gergreg.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bohemian Rhapsody was pretty good, don't get some of the hype around it being the best movie ever though
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bohemian Rhapsody. Just watched it. Not entirely sure about the Best Actor, Rami Malek seemed to founder in some scenes at times. But what an amazing performance on stage in the final 20 minutes of the film. I know the critics didn't love the film, and it is certainly not the best film ever... and maybe I'm not supposed to... but I loved it. One of those films where the critics are disconnected from the audiences, and I suspect it has more to do with the experiences and emotions recalled when watching the film and hearing the music.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I grew up loving Queen's music, bought a stack of albums, loved the movie saw it twice at the cinema and bought the 4k disc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Wembley Live Aid set was amazing, there's comparison videos on YouTube and it's really well done
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I was a Queen fan and pretty dubious about the film. But I ended up really enjoying it.

I thought Malek was good in a tough role to try and play. I believe it was good choice to focus mainly on Mercury’s talents and just hint at the darker side of his character.

No need to see another film fully focused on a characters issues.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Was a Queen fan BJ, what changed your mind?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

If nothing else it seems to have started a trend, surely there’s a Bowie one in the works

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I'm a massive Queen fan and loved Bo Rap.
I followed most of the articles during the making and after. What Rami did to become Freddie was amazing. The work and effort he put in

Queen have an amazing story to tell. This is only part of it. Crammed into a couple of hours. Some of the timeline was out but it didn't take away from the movie.
It is my favourite movie. It has the best soundtrack.

Sent from my SM-N960F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Brewdle wrote:Was a Queen fan BJ, what changed your mind?

I’ll clarify. Was and still are.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

I just watched Super Troopers 2, they should have left it at 1.

Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I remembered they sang We will rock you at Live Aid... and so they did. Shame that was excluded from the film.

I just watched the whole film again. Don't do that often. It is a good movie.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I remember coming home to the Mawson Leagues Club after the 1989 Grand Final... and how the team sang We are the Champions on the balcony to the crowd... and then did it all over inside, probably multiple times... and then again at the Queanbeyan Leagues Club at the "Raiders Club" upstairs. Fantastic.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm quite disappointed at the lack of special features on the blu-ray. I mean, we get the full Live Aid set (and it's amazing), and three little mini-features which include some decent interview bits...but no deleted scenes, no recordings of other songs we know they shot...a lot of people were hanging out for those, and some of them would have made sense. Like the scene where John Deacon joins the band is on the deleted list (and IMO should have made the movie anyway because it is a bit weird how they go from three to four without as much as a single line explanation how), the performance of '39 in Japan, Freddie writing Crazy Little Thing Called Love in the bathtub...

I loved the movie, but I do feel like it might have been better as a TV series. Casting was pretty spot on and one of the things I've disliked about this awards season is how it hasn't won any of the ensemble awards. Everyone was great. Special shout-out to Allan Leech (Paul Prenter) who made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up the first time I saw him on the screen. When the actor gives you that immediate "No Freddie, run away from him, he's trouble, I can tell!" reaction, they've done very well.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Watched Us last night at the cinemas. I really enjoyed it. I like the way Jordan Peele makes movies. Theres so much commentary on the world today, wrapped up into one entertaining movie

Nickman's love of NSW
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I just watched My cousin Vinny.

I mean come on..Marisa Tomei !!!

What a babe !!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I've lost count of how many times I've watched Footloose... the original with Kevin Bacon.

It is just one of those movies I never tire of, can put on and enjoy every time. Just watched it all again tonight.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Got tix to End Game today. I can’t even begin to speculate on that one.

Nickman's love of NSW