Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:
KingDynamite wrote: November 13, 2018, 6:34 pm Struggling through some runners knee at the moment. Any tips?
Without knowing any specifics you generally get injuries by either adding distance before the body is ready to cope, or not recovering properly from the kms you are doing.

Are you doing anything to warm up before, and more importantly, are you stretching or foam rolling to loosen up the inevitable tightness??
Agree with CR. Provide a bit more info and somebody might be able to help. Doc?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Hello!
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

Dr Zaius wrote:
gergreg wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:
KingDynamite wrote: November 13, 2018, 6:34 pm Struggling through some runners knee at the moment. Any tips?
Without knowing any specifics you generally get injuries by either adding distance before the body is ready to cope, or not recovering properly from the kms you are doing.

Are you doing anything to warm up before, and more importantly, are you stretching or foam rolling to loosen up the inevitable tightness??
Agree with CR. Provide a bit more info and somebody might be able to help. Doc?

Hello!
Ok first a bit of history. I have had issues with my kneecaps since my teens. It was common place for one or both of them to dislodge left, right or up during a game of league. It never caused me a huge amount of pain. I had more discomfort from the fluid in the knees afterwards and would use lectric soda to draw the fluid out after each game.

I haven’t had issues like this for over 10 years now (even when playing touch).

To the now, I don’t have a rigorous warm up routine just a few stretches as a short brisk walk to warm up. After running a fee stretches and a small amount of time on the foam roller.

I have very tight hamstrings, again always have but never had any injuries come from this.

So my warm up could certainly be better and I could do more afterwards.

Currently experiencing discomfort all day, but it intensifies when I attempt to run. I want able to run through it last night. Couldn’t run with my usual gait pain was more intense when striking the ground and when extending the leg.

I have been taking ibuprofen over the last couple of days to manage the discomfort.

Worth noting I have a full range of motion in the knees and I don’t feel injured.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

How are the knees this week KD?
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by KingDynamite »

Coastalraider wrote:How are the knees this week KD?
Have had them strapped for a few days now. They are feeling good after some rest. I will begin running again today. Thinking I might start small 2ks and work myself back up and try to drop some weight before getting up to the 18-20km mark per week. I have also begun some basic exercises to strengthen the inside of the quad.
I was in a great space mentally so hoping I can hang onto that over the next few weeks
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by KingDynamite »

The knees are feeling much better after some rest, strapping and rehab exercises.

Got back into the running on Monday and looking to go every second day. Trying to limit myself so I don’t run into the same issues again. Looking to run about 15ks for the first two weeks all in short runs.

Needing to ice the knees after each run but the pain is negligible by the next day. Feeling like I am still in a good head space and I am really Enjoying even getting out for 3ks!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I found my knee issues were due to inactive glutes

Started doing hip work and the difference was noticable
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Great to hear you’re back at it KD!

I belted my head on a towel hook after a swim session on Monday and have been out with a concussion for a couple of days - I just want to train!!!!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Now there's an injury CR :)

I've noticed my knee is getting there. Been able to tentatively chase my daughters without too much discomfort. Might go down the running track over Christmas.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

.Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:.Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I know how he feels
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I set myself a goal at the beginning of the year of an event a month. I've done 11 from 11 so far. I've got a 30km road race tomorrow, but have come down with influenza during the week and feel pretty ordinary. Need to do some pretty quick healing.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well done doc!

I have jumped back on the bike on the turbo trainer a couple of times this week, but I can’t shake this headache from the hit I took on Monday. Had a CT yesterday, so hopefully nothing serious.

I ‘accidentally’ set PBs for 5 second and 1 minute power yeaterday, so the fitness isn’t going anywhere luckily.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Great to hear from everyone, especially those successfully recovering from injury. You'll get there Coastal :lol:

World's Toughest Mudder was about a month ago now. The gist of it is I failed. I pulled out after about 14 hours as I was becoming hypothermic. Temps dropped below 0C, which I didn't expect. I didn't have a wetsuit so instead of risking being quite sick and spoiling the rest of my holiday (2 weeks to go), I pulled the plug before I got really bad. I had cold-like symptoms and my body had trouble thermoregulating itself for about 48 hours afterwards, so I think I did the right thing.

That said, it was a fantastic event. Despite shivering even while I was running during those last 6-7 hours, I was still enjoying it. Some of the obstacles are pretty awesome, and definitely more difficult than Spartan obstacles. In the end, I officially completed 35 miles. Factoring in penalty loops (for failing obstacles) I probably did about 57-58km.

Everybody said that was by the far the coldest WTM since it started. Anyone who didn't have a wetsuit were either DQ'd by medical or dropped out on their own accord. Some suffered from hypothermia before the sun went down. Was pretty epic.

Even though I'm at peace with my decision to drop out, I do feel like I have unfinished business with WTM. I'm likely to another crack another year.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Wow, that’s awesome EJ, and very smart decision to pull out when you did. Where is the next WTM???
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

looks insane EJ, smart move pulling the pin there'll be another day

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Needs to be retitled WCMF - World's Craziest Mother F...
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Coastalraider wrote:Wow, that’s awesome EJ, and very smart decision to pull out when you did. Where is the next WTM???
It's in Atlantarctica again. Interested?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

"I'm at peace with my decision".....lol

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Is that a river crossing EJ?

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: December 9, 2018, 4:52 pm
Coastalraider wrote:Wow, that’s awesome EJ, and very smart decision to pull out when you did. Where is the next WTM???
It's in Atlantarctica again. Interested?

Ha ha, no.

I used to plan and host a lot of mud runs at my last job at Glenworth Valley, but even with all of that I never had the urge to race one. It’s actially quite odd.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

They're generally quite fun, but that sounds like a special kind of hell.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Well I managed to complete my 30km run today, despite testing positive to influenza during the week. Ordinarily I would have pulled out, but I set a goal of running an event a month this year, and this was my last opportunity for December. I wasn't about to fall over at the last hurdle. The article a friend sent me on the 6 fold risk of a heart attack in the week following influenza played on my mind the last few kms, so I ran within myself . Still managed a time I was happy with.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: December 9, 2018, 7:25 pm Well I managed to complete my 30km run today, despite testing positive to influenza during the week. Ordinarily I would have pulled out, but I set a goal of running an event a month this year, and this was my last opportunity for December. I wasn't about to fall over at the last hurdle. The article a friend sent me on the 6 fold risk of a heart attack in the week following influenza played on my mind the last few kms, so I ran within myself Image. Still managed a time I was happy with.
Mission accomplished! Now relax a little and enjoy christmas!

I hadn’t heard that increase in heart risk with the flu....
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

2 per month next year Doc?

KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by KingDynamite »

EJ and Doc you both have done amazing!

Awesome work!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Here’s a good one to finish up the year.. everyone who has a crack, big or small, faces their own challenges and gets rewarded with their own successes. Fill in the blanks below for your journeys this year, be it your first 5k, or 12 races in 12 months. And it can be training or racing based answers.

Lowest moment?

Most rewarding moment?

Worst race?

Best Race?

Harshest lesson?

What was your aim for 2018, did you achieve it?

What was your biggest learning?

What is your aim for 2019?

Most hated training session?

Most loved training session?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Gerg, it was more a creek. And we didn't really cross it. More just went out far enough for the obstacle (full submersion under floating barrels x 3) then back to land. Kinda like an arc in then out.

Well done, Doc. True grit there to finish off the year.

Coastal, answering your questions would've been so much better last year. I barely trained this year lol

Lowest moment? God, I dunno. Oh wait, I do. It was losing to a high school mate at a Spartan for the first time ever. That's what not training will do. I've just started running again and need to beat him in Feb, then crush him at Picton in May.

Most rewarding moment? Just being at WTM. I DNF'd, but it was a fantastic time.

Worst race? Definitely Sydney Spartan a couple months ago. Think I still came in the 30s but it was a **** course and a very weak field. And I performed badly.

Best Race? Toughest Mudder SE QLD. Great event. 50km through the night and it was before my training dropped off a cliff.

Harshest lesson? Don't do a 24 hour race where you get in and out of water whole course without bringing a wetsuit for night time.

What was your aim for 2018, did you achieve it? I only really had Six Foot Track marathon earmarked for the year when still in 2017. So yeah. Did that. Time was fair considering my training. It was damn tough though.

What was your biggest learning? That I'd rather take less money at work for a more chill and less time consuming role so I can be happy at work and train properly outside of it.

What is your aim for 2019? Train properly again. If Spartan Ultra WC moves from Iceland, I will likely want to do it again too.

Most hated training session? Not sure. Probably one of the mountain training sessions when it was still hot earlier in the year and my fitness wasnt up to scratch. Those kind of runs are pretty miserable. Oh and first and only 5km time trial. That absolutely sucked. Wanted to quit from 800m on.

Most loved training session? Really no idea. Probably one of the 2-3 trail runs I did with mates.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Crazy getting in and out of the water at night.

I had a sucky year all around but last summer before injury I really enjoyed the trail running a stone's throw from my place.ImageImage

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Gerg, that would make getting out for a run so much easier than hitting the footpath/road.

Coastal, you're not going to answer your own questionnaire?

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Fair call EJ!

Lowest moment?
I have a couple. I had a moment on the bike at Port at about 130ks, where I really struggled. I knew I was only about half way, and it nearly broke me. I just tried to shut my head up, watched my wheel, and eventually came out of it with about 20k to go. I also struggled with a bit of depression in the months follwing - I have suffered from it for about 15 years, and felt myself falling back into the dark pit with a lack of direction and focus after achieving such a big goal. Much better now though.

Most rewarding moment?
On a personal note it was achieving an Ironman finish, for obvious reasons. Anyone who read the race report would know I had come from a very low starting point with a lot of weight, so there was an immense satisfaction in completing that.

Also in about September, my 4 year old son woke up early as I was getting ready for a track session - he saw what I was doing, ran to his room, put on his Ironkids shirt and got his ‘racing shoes’ and said he wanted to come running with me. We spent about 30 minutes laughing and enjoying running 80m sprints and 400 sets together, that was bliss.

Worst race?
Gold Coast Marathon. I was entered for the 21, and upgraded to 42 on the Tuesday when last minute entries were released. I really underestimated it after IM, and at about 20k I just blew up. Still set a PB for the time, but it was only a 4.30. Then had to get in a van and drive back to the central coast....

Best Race?
IM for achievement, but a local Half Mara for performance. I had just started working with a coach, and absolutely nailed the race plan, even though I felt like backing off my target pace. Had a best case of 5.00k average, raced to 5.01.

Harshest lesson?

long term recovery. I did GC Mara, city to Surf, Local half Mara and Sydney marathon in about 3 months, and it just flogged me. Races always take more out of you than training. I needed to stop the run sessions for nearly 2 weeks to recover.

What was your aim for 2018, did you achieve it?
Use Ironman to try and set a good example to my kids. My daughter now loves cheering at races, and my son has now entered little athletics, it’s his favourite afternoon of the week.

What was your biggest learning?
Things don’t always go to plan, but it’s how you react to those moments that counts.

What is your aim for 2019?
Sub 12 at Port. And I have another little pipe dream I’m trying to get my head around now...

Most hated training session?
Chlorine swims. I train mostly in a salt 50m, and I am a weak swimmer. So when I get in chlorine, I drop like 15 seconds per100 and it is simply demoralising.

Most loved training session?

Recovery ride, stopping at lookouts and beaches. Just enjoying riding my bike and finding new places.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Nice write up Nick. I completely understand your 'low period' after hitting your goals. I'm starting to feel pretty down the past few weeks. Work isn't particularly satisfying at the moment and I don't have the opportunity to just throw on a pair of shoes and headphones and belt out a quick run to take my mind off it, and it's starting to wear me down.

On the bright side the knee is feeling better and I have 2 and a half weeks off work. I'm planning on heading down the track and doing some laps. I think running the straights and walking the bends should be ok. My lateral strength isn't quite there yet.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I personally can't stand running, have no interest in doing long distance as you lads do, but I do admire your dedication and discipline.

Like you gerg, my work isn't very fulfilling and I'm looking for something to dedicate myself to. I enjoy gym, and go regularly. I could do better of course, so much custard guts to remove.

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Just lost 10kg since the start of September. Still about another 10kg to go but delighted I am finally seeing some results.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: December 19, 2018, 8:57 pm Nice write up Nick. I completely understand your 'low period' after hitting your goals. I'm starting to feel pretty down the past few weeks. Work isn't particularly satisfying at the moment and I don't have the opportunity to just throw on a pair of shoes and headphones and belt out a quick run to take my mind off it, and it's starting to wear me down.

On the bright side the knee is feeling better and I have 2 and a half weeks off work. I'm planning on heading down the track and doing some laps. I think running the straights and walking the bends should be ok. My lateral strength isn't quite there yet.

Here you go Greg - this will give you some cross training and a target to aim for. You can get out and train without having to focus on the running - thats only a small part of it.

Ill be in town that weekend as well, so if you are in, Ill commit as well!

https://www.eliteenergy.com.au/event/ca ... -festival/
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:I personally can't stand running, have no interest in doing long distance as you lads do, but I do admire your dedication and discipline.

Like you gerg, my work isn't very fulfilling and I'm looking for something to dedicate myself to. I enjoy gym, and go regularly. I could do better of course, so much custard guts to remove.

High intensity heavy lifting will get rid of the custard guts. Provided your diet is reasonable

I found when I was really into it, it made up for the lack of excitement in other facets of my life